Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-18-2023, 08:35 AM   #901
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Well, they have deep pockets at Manchester City.

lol - well done
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:36 PM   #902
miami_fan
Coordinator

If you have ESPN+, I implore you to turn on the Sheffield Wednesday vs Petersborough match right now.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:54 PM   #903
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

condolences, Fergie Jr
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:19 PM   #904
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
If you have ESPN+, I implore you to turn on the Sheffield Wednesday vs Petersborough match right now.

Since I was born in Sheffield, that would have been worth it right there. I've followed Sheffield United since I was a kid (they're more the university part of town). They were just promoted back to the Premier League.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:26 PM   #905
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

As a fan of Cambridge United, I have to laugh when something like this happens to their rival.

So.. Ha. HA!.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:39 PM   #906
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW I send a tentative congrats to the Sheffield Wednesday supporters for conducting what looked like a fun pitch invasion. Hopefully everything remained as good-natured as it seemed to be when the broadcast ended. Also a full blooded congrats to their manager Darren Moore leading the team after all the racial abuse he received over the last five days.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-19-2023, 08:43 AM   #907
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Well, they have deep pockets at Manchester City.

I'm going to quote this just so I can appreciate the quality of this response on a new page.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:45 AM   #908
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

We might put 10 past De Gea in June.
Old 05-19-2023, 09:14 AM   #909
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I don't care. My other club just got promoted.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:45 PM   #910
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hardcore MLS fans,

San Diego will be the 30th franchise in MLS beginning in 2025. I am not going to mention the R-word. I know that is not a non-starter.

Is anything else changing? Getting rid of the salary cap? Changes to the single-entity structure? Getting rid of conferences? First phase/Second phase like in Argentina? Anything?
Old 05-19-2023, 11:42 PM   #911
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think there will be P/R when they get to something like 36 teams, with a MLS-teams cup as well (like the League Cup in England, with the USOC staying FA-Cup like)

Get rid of MLS Season Pass, it was a privitization of the game just when it needed MORE public coverage, not less.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #912
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

👀
Old 05-20-2023, 02:18 PM   #913
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 05-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #914
whomario
Pro Starter

1 more win for Dortmund to finally end Bayerns streak of titles (at 10). Bayern has been absolute shambles recently and Dortmund would win despite loosing badly to Bayern recently but wouldn't look that gift horse in the mouth
39 points from 16 Games with a 50-16 Goal Difference has been a hell of a 2nd half of the season.

Nobody quote Ted Lasso about hope now
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 04:05 PM   #915
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I think there will be P/R when they get to something like 36 teams

What makes you so confident? I can't imagine any American owners going for this.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:08 PM   #916
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I really don't know what's going to stop Man City (in the EPL) now, until Guardiola leaves.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:36 PM   #917
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
For the first time in their history, Brighton & Hove Albion will be playing European football
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:44 PM   #918
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
What makes you so confident? I can't imagine any American owners going for this.

I can't imagine any American TV networks going for this either.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:57 PM   #919
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I don't know about television networks. It would make for great TV, making games among non-contenders worthwhile watching. But for owners? Imagine paying that huge franchise fee and being told that you could be playing in the A League next year if you aren't successful. Not to mention, there is no money in lower league soccer. Teams would go broke pretty quickly in the lower leagues.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:04 PM   #920
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I don't know about television networks. It would make for great TV, making games among non-contenders worthwhile watching. But for owners? Imagine paying that huge franchise fee and being told that you could be playing in the A League next year if you aren't successful. Not to mention, there is no money in lower league soccer. Teams would go broke pretty quickly in the lower leagues.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

That's fine ... until you end up without New York, LA, or Chicago. Then your ceiling gets lower, and it devalues the TV deal. Unless you did something innovative like tying the annual rights fee to the size of the markets on a sliding scale, I can't see it flying here.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:15 PM   #921
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

To be fair, we can't say that American owners won't go for relegation as Americans keep buying at least pieces of European clubs in the countries/leagues with relegation (19 clubs across England, France, and Italy) and are relegated (Fulham, Burnley, Maybe Leeds United? Maybe Spezia?). Even Chelsea had to sweat out relegation safety with a few weeks left in the season.
Old 05-21-2023, 09:43 PM   #922
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

We don't do relegation in this country, we do relocation. Americans don't want to watch a diminished product, but we will buy a repackaged product as if it was brand new.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 10:00 PM   #923
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's one thing to buy into a league that already has promotion/relegation - that risk is priced in. It's quite another to agree to create that risk for oneself with no near-term or tangible benefit.

It's not as if broadcasters are saying they'll pay the MLS 20% more if they introduce promotion & relegation.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:11 PM   #924
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

All fine and good ... until you consider the numerous realities of why it doesn't work here.

Foremost perhaps is the shortage of clubs that could be promoted. There's only one Division II league (MLS is the only D-I league) in the country and only 2 of its 24 teams meet the minimum seating requirement for D1.

And half of those don't even reach the halfway point so it's not as simple as adding a few temporary bleachers for the likely short stay they'd have in D1. You'd be talking about considerable rebuilding -- a process that has seen at least two D2 clubs suspend operations for several years while they upgraded/changed facilities. How many of those markets see building a new stadium as even remotely reasonable for a brief shot at a questionable level of "glory"?

Unlike the UK, there are precious few markets in the U.S. that can viably support multiple MLS franchises ... but with the current composition of D2 the issue of market exclusivity could come into play.

We're barely more than a decade from even being able to HAVE a league that could meet D2 requirements.

Talk of an detailed P/R system such as exists in leagues elsewhere in the world grossly overestimate the value of promoting to the MLS to a city that would frequently be asked to make major cost contributions to the building of stadiums that stand a good chance of being massively oversized upon relegation.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:50 PM   #925
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, I just don't see where that audience is going to come from, especially when you have 3 or 4 other major leagues with which to contend (depending on your view of the NHL).

Even a well-established minor league like AAA baseball tops out at capacity of ~16,000, and I'm sure average attendances are a good bit below that.

Average MLS attendance starts in the teens (thousands) and has plenty in the 20s, 30s, and even 40s.

That's a pretty big gap in matchday revenue between a D1 team and a putative D2 team that would average, at best, 5-10k.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:22 PM   #926
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Brighton are a very likeable club right now

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-24-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:06 PM   #927
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I just don't see where that audience is going to come from, especially when you have 3 or 4 other major leagues with which to contend (depending on your view of the NHL).

Even a well-established minor league like AAA baseball tops out at capacity of ~16,000, and I'm sure average attendances are a good bit below that.

Average MLS attendance starts in the teens (thousands) and has plenty in the 20s, 30s, and even 40s.

That's a pretty big gap in matchday revenue between a D1 team and a putative D2 team that would average, at best, 5-10k.

And this particular point is NOT an accident. The seating standards, the market size and so forth were set the way they were to prevent Hooterville from ending up in the top tier and having it appear "minor".

This country isn't the bloody U.K. or anywhere else in western Europe, these fanciful promotable minnows are not all predominantly located within three goal kicks of a reasonable sized city. It's all fun & games until Seattle has to play in Starkville, MS or Ottumwa, IA.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:48 PM   #928
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Chelsea are complete SHITE
Old 05-25-2023, 08:16 PM   #929
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, I've been anxious before a lot of Man Utd games, but not that one.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:51 AM   #930
whomario
Pro Starter

20 minutes in, down 0:1, Bayern up and Dortmund just missed a penalty ...

Now 0:2
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-27-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:13 AM   #931
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh dear

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2023, 10:17 AM   #932
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-27-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:19 PM   #933
whomario
Pro Starter

Oh well ...

Bayern with internal drama (to cap it off they fired both Sporting Director Salihamidzic and 'CEO' Kahn today) and a lousy point total still winning is so typical Bundesliga...

At least Bochum stayed up

Last edited by whomario : 05-27-2023 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:41 PM   #934
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bayerndusel strikes again
Old 05-27-2023, 09:27 PM   #935
miami_fan
Coordinator

The stuff of FM dreams!

Old 05-27-2023, 09:59 PM   #936
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Maybe that will be my new team to root for next year after Leicester disappears.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #937
whomario
Pro Starter

In Germany Heidenheim upstaged Hamburg to go up directly as another small club (the other im Darmstadt also not exactly big, though im the Bundesliga before). Down 0:2 they scored 2 in stoppage time on the road to secure promotion. 50k population, 15k stadium, 5th division in 2008. Missed out in the promotion Playoff in 2020. Only 6 figure transfer is their main goalscorer who they bought back from the club they sold him to for roughly the same amount.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:35 PM   #938
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Crazy end to the Everton game. 10 minutes of added time and their keeper make an incredible save in the 94th minute.

Futbol is a funny game. They finished 17th in the league and were acting like they won the title. Relegation system is really awesome.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:07 PM   #939
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

At least Everton sealed safety with a win. It'll be interesting to see what they do next year. Ownership & decision-making have been a complete tire fire.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:57 PM   #940
miami_fan
Coordinator

Anthony Hudson leaves USMNT role as second interim hired - ESPN

Quote:
"Our goal is clear: defend both of our Concacaf titles."

Are we sure?
Old 05-30-2023, 06:05 PM   #941
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, I could have sworn the goal was "provide plenty of make-work jobs for certain former national team players and their friends and family" but what do I know?
Old 06-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #942
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The fix appears to be on again.

Old 06-03-2023, 12:34 PM   #943
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You won. Stop whining.

And like it or not, that's the handball rule.
Old 06-04-2023, 12:27 PM   #944
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

https://twitter.com/EmanDaGoon/statu...KHsD2rvqA&s=19

Old 06-04-2023, 12:28 PM   #945
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

https://twitter.com/bluemoon_mcfc/st...7YJdY1dUw&s=19

Old 06-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #946
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

https://twitter.com/bealolufc/status...Rr_dywFow&s=19

Old 06-04-2023, 12:53 PM   #947
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Turns out the jackhole who wore a Man United shirt referencing Hillsborough (as 97-Not Enough) was a Britain-First Right Wing chud who had attacked an asylum center previously.

https://twitter.com/Marsh4LL1/status...83645236469760
Old 06-04-2023, 12:55 PM   #948
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

1. Likely handball, given the arm movement, but I'd like to see another angle.

2. At least a yellow, if not a red. Casemiro being Casemiro. Even if it was a mistake at speed, it's still a very dangerous play (yellow), but I'd be more than willing to assume intent (red).

3. No foul, player attempting to establish space with the ball in front of him.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:44 PM   #949
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Unreal ending to the Belgian league. 3 teams were virtual champions at some point during the last 15 minutes. I listened to the reports on the radio, reporters were getting crazy. Unreal stuff.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 03:12 PM   #950
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
1. Likely handball, given the arm movement, but I'd like to see another angle.

2. At least a yellow, if not a red. Casemiro being Casemiro. Even if it was a mistake at speed, it's still a very dangerous play (yellow), but I'd be more than willing to assume intent (red).

3. No foul, player attempting to establish space with the ball in front of him.

Agreed on all points.

Did you see this?

PGMOL chief Howard Webb went through a few decisions where VAR was involved. He explains the process and why the decision were made. I hope there do stuff like this more. I do not expect it to change the minds of people who believe the refs hate them. I do hope it helps fans and pundits understand and speak more intelligently on the VAR process.