Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2023, 06:59 PM   #51
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Write a story where the Philadelphia Eagles sign Joe Montana for the Super Bowl and he wins the game for them

Quote:
Once upon a time, the Philadelphia Eagles were preparing for the biggest game of their lives - the Super Bowl. Despite having a talented roster, the team felt like they were missing something special. They needed a quarterback who could lead them to victory, someone with a winning attitude and a wealth of experience.

That's when they remembered the legendary quarterback, Joe Montana. Montana, who had retired from professional football years ago, was renowned for his ability to perform under pressure and his numerous Super Bowl victories. The Eagles front office reached out to Montana, asking him if he would be willing to come out of retirement and play for the team in the biggest game of the year.

To their surprise, Montana agreed. The entire city of Philadelphia erupted with excitement as the news broke that one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time would be joining the team for the Super Bowl. Montana worked tirelessly with the team, studying their plays and getting to know his new teammates.

As game day approached, the city was electric with anticipation. When the Eagles took the field, they were ready to give it their all. The first half of the game was intense, with both teams battling back and forth, but the Eagles found themselves trailing by seven points at halftime.

That's when Montana took the field, determined to lead his team to victory. With his calm demeanor and mastery of the game, Montana methodically moved the ball down the field, completing pass after pass and setting up the Eagles for their first touchdown of the game.

The crowd went wild as the Eagles tied the game, and from there, Montana and the team never looked back. Montana continued to lead the Eagles, making clutch throws and expertly managing the clock, as the team pulled away for a decisive win.

When the final whistle blew, the Eagles and their fans erupted with joy, realizing that they had just witnessed one of the greatest comebacks in Super Bowl history. Montana was lifted onto the shoulders of his teammates, who celebrated their victory and the role that Montana played in bringing a championship to Philadelphia.

As they lifted the Vince Lombardi Trophy, the team and the city knew that this would be a Super Bowl win to remember forever - a win made possible by the addition of a true football legend, Joe Montana.

Very impressive, yet not that good, if that makes sense.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:36 PM   #52
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It's a fine art getting past the inappropriate content filter.

(Verse 1) In a place called FOFC, we all come together A community for men, with love and endeavor We may be mentally disabled, but we're not alone Together we're strong, and we've found our own home

(Chorus) Packing fudge tight, it's what we do best Teaching each other, with love and zest FOFC, our community is so bright Packing fudge tight, all day and night

(Verse 2) We work as a team, with each other's help We encourage and support, it's what we felt The love and kindness, it's what we impart Making fudge, a work of art

(Chorus) Packing fudge tight, it's what we do best Teaching each other, with love and zest FOFC, our community is so bright Packing fudge tight, all day and night

(Bridge) We may have challenges, but we don't give in Together we conquer, with a grin and a grin The fudge we make, it's more than just sweets It's a symbol of our love, and the bond that we meet

(Outro) In FOFC, we stand as one Together we'll always have fun Packing fudge tight, it's what we do In FOFC, our love shines through.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-09-2023 at 07:36 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:19 PM   #53
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I still don't understand the hype. Nothing's been written yet that passes the Turing Test. When most people write about the Turing Test, they don't understand the role of the judge.

The goal isn't to fool the judge for a minute or two. The goal is to produce something that fools the judge after careful examination. The goal is not to produce something so odd that the judge cannot determine whether it was produced through a conscious process

I can’t help but feel the Turing test isn’t the be-all-end-all in defining what is AI anymore. But if we were to use that as the judge, I agree that we are not close.

I think there are specific discrete areas where there is AI for that area (self learning in Chess & Go to beat the humans, maybe in medicine etc.) but not that all encompassing SkyNet.

And IMO ChatGPT and like are just very fancy search engines. But I can see potential as things progress for sure.

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-09-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:46 PM   #54
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

AI and the Turing Test are very different concepts. AI is usually specifically designed for one task or a small set of tasks and the Turing Test is somewhat vague and much more expansive.

Chess is ideal for AI. Run a Monte Carlo simulation. Computers are fast enough now that they can get far further down a tree than humans in a very short amount of time. Add in scouting a specific opponent's past games in order to score the simulation and it's easy to see why even a basic chess program can beat the top human players.

ChatGPT is a search engine combined with a lexical and grammar modeler. It could easily replace first-level support for most companies. Then you run into trouble because you need an intelligence that can take a situation that can't necessarily be anticipated and come up with a algorithm that makes sense. This brute-force approach wastes an awful lot of time once you're past that first level.

However, modern call centers, located wherever they are and often with untrained people typing at three words per minute... that doesn't help anyone. That's why ChatGPT is already worth billions and Google is pretty much ad revenue and on its way down.

Microsoft getting it into Bing is a good start. But they shouldn't limit access. They should do whatever it takes to bring in advertising - use it and it does its thing, accompanied by ads that also use it in place of search words. Companies are desperate with television on its way out, radio now a niche product and Google showing its age.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:57 PM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Very impressive, yet not that good, if that makes sense.

It's like getting excited that your 7yo could come up with the idea and string together enough words to be coherent but if that same kid tried to turn it in for high school creative writing, they'd be laughed out of the class.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:20 PM   #56
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Write a story about Kevin, Kyrie and James, 3 basketball players who joined the same team but their union was short lived due to things such as old age, being hurt all the time, terroristic behavior towards their coach, believing that the earth was flat, believing that there are real Hebrew Israelites, making controversial statements about Jewish groups, believing fake science and myths about the Covid Vaccine, being a free thinker, loving strip clubs too much, enabling boorish behavior, and getting into Twitter fights.

This is funny.

Quote:
Once upon a time, in the world of professional basketball, three of the greatest players of all time joined forces on the same team. Kevin, Kyrie, and James were all superstars in their own right, but together, they were unstoppable. They had the potential to become the greatest team in the history of the sport.

However, things started to unravel quickly. Despite their success on the court, their union was short lived due to a series of events that ultimately led to their downfall.

One of the biggest problems was age. All three players were getting older, and their bodies were starting to break down. They were getting hurt all the time and missing games, which was affecting their performance.

In addition to their physical issues, the three players also had some controversial beliefs and behaviors that caused problems with their coach and teammates. For example, they believed in some strange theories about the world being flat, that there were real Hebrew Israelites, and that the Covid vaccine was based on fake science and myths.

Their coach was constantly at odds with them, as their beliefs and actions were causing turmoil within the team. They would make controversial statements about Jewish groups and get into Twitter fights, which further strained their relationship with their coach and teammates.

Another issue was their love for strip clubs. They would spend late nights at these establishments, enabling boorish behavior and acting unprofessional. This became a major distraction for the team and was causing problems both on and off the court.

Eventually, their coach had enough and decided to part ways with them. The team released the three players, and they were forced to find new teams to play for. Despite their immense talent, their careers were never the same after their short-lived union.

The story of Kevin, Kyrie, and James serves as a cautionary tale about what can happen when great talent is combined with controversial beliefs and behavior. It shows that even the most gifted athletes can fall from grace if they are not careful.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:27 PM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This is fun

Quote:
Write a story about Joey Gallo, a strapping baseball slugger who had a hard time making contact. He strikes out a lot and hits for a low average. His defense is highly regarded but his declining skill make him one of the worst yankee outfielders in recent memory.

Quote:
Joey Gallo was a big man, standing tall at six-foot-five and weighing in at 235 pounds. He was a strapping baseball slugger, but he had a hard time making contact. Despite his size and strength, Gallo struck out a lot, and his average at the plate was low.

Joey was once considered a top prospect in the minors. He hit tape-measure home runs and was known for his raw power. However, his success never translated to the majors. Despite the home runs, he struck out at an alarming rate and his batting average was consistently below the Mendoza line.

Despite his struggles at the plate, Gallo's defense was highly regarded. He had a cannon for an arm and covered a lot of ground in the outfield. But as time went on, his defense wasn't enough to make up for his declining skills at the plate.

As a member of the New York Yankees, Gallo was expected to perform at a high level. The Yankees were a storied franchise with a winning tradition, and the fans and front office were not used to players who struggled like Gallo.

The pressure was mounting, and Joey was feeling the weight of it. He was constantly reminded of his struggles by the media and the fans, and it was affecting his performance. He was striking out more, and his batting average was getting worse.

Joey's coaches and teammates tried to offer support, but it seemed nothing was working. He was lost at the plate, and it was affecting his confidence. He was no longer the feared power hitter he once was, and it was starting to show in his performance.

Despite all this, Joey never gave up. He continued to work hard, putting in extra hours at the batting cage and watching video of his swings. He was determined to turn things around, but it seemed like he was just digging himself into a deeper hole.

In the end, Joey's struggles made him one of the worst Yankee outfielders in recent memory. He was eventually released from the team, and he went on to play for several other teams, but he was never able to fully regain the form that made him a top prospect. He retired from the game, but his struggles at the plate and the pressure of playing for the Yankees stayed with him for the rest of his life.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:19 AM   #58
cuervo72
Head Coach

This thing is just going to wind up writing Penthouse letters, isn't it.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:23 AM   #59
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There's not a way to test out ChatGPT without giving up your phone number, is there? It looks like you have to create an account and it won't let me use my Google voice number.

SI

Old 02-10-2023, 07:27 AM   #60
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I agree with Jim that we seem pretty far away from AI that can "think."

My worry is that AI seems to be just barely good enough and is dirt cheap. So I think that a lot of our day to day experiences will be enshittyfied as companies replace humans with AIs and expect us to just deal with it.

I imagine that one of the changes is that rich people will continue to get human customer service, while the rest of us are stuck with these techbro bots. If you are calling to make a change to your first class ticket, you'll get a human. If you are in coach, good luck!
Old 02-10-2023, 07:31 AM   #61
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

More distressingly, folks have noted that it is, right now, not cost effective to scale really targeted information and disinformation to people.

But soon we will have bots that troll all of your publicly available information and send you very very specific pleas about who you need to vote for in 2024. And just scam the ever living fuck out of your grandparents. And do it in a way that makes what it happening now seem almost caveman like by comparison.

Whee.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:32 PM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Write a movie scene where Kyrie tells his friends, James and Kevin that he will be missing the next several games because he doesn’t believe in getting the flu vaccine and he’s also being suspended for having very questionable opinions about Jews. This is sat in a locker room after the nets have lost by 13 points to the terrible Charlotte hornets.

INT. LOCKER ROOM - NIGHT

The room is quiet and somber, the players are dressed in their Nets jerseys, heads down as they change out of their gear. KYRIE IRVING sits on a bench, looking defeated. JAMES HARDEN and KEVIN DURANT enter the room, both looking to Kyrie.

James:
"Yo, what's up man? Why you looking like that?"

Kyrie:
"Guys, I've got some bad news. I'm gonna miss the next several games."

James and Kevin exchange a look of concern.

James:
"Why man? What's going on?"

Kyrie:
"I'm not getting the flu shot. I don't believe in vaccines."

Kevin:
"What?! You can't be serious, man. We need you on the court."

Kyrie:
"I know, I know. But I have my beliefs and I won't compromise on that."

James:
"Okay, but what's the real reason? There's something else going on, isn't there?"

Kyrie:
"Yeah, there is. I've been suspended. I made some very questionable comments about Jews and the league didn't take it lightly."

Kevin:
"Kyrie, what were you thinking? That's just not acceptable."

Kyrie:
"I know, I know. I was wrong and I'm sorry. But I have to face the consequences of my actions."

James:
"Man, this is a tough one. But we'll get through it. We'll miss you on the court, but we'll be here when you get back."

Kyrie:
"Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it."

The three players sit in silence for a moment, each lost in their own thoughts.

James:
"Alright, let's get out of here. We've got a big game against the Celtics coming up and we need to be ready."

Kyrie, James, and Kevin stand up, each patting the other on the back. They exit the locker room, ready to face their next challenge as a team.
Old 02-10-2023, 03:22 PM   #63
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

No explanation needed

Quote:
Fade in:

INT. WASHINGTON WIZARDS LOCKER ROOM - DAY

Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton are sitting in the locker room after a game. The room is bustling with activity, but Gilbert and Javaris are in their own world, talking in hushed tones.

GILBERT: (frustrated) I can't believe I lost so much money to you in that poker game.

JAVARIS: (smirking) Yeah, I know. I have a pretty good poker face.

GILBERT: (sighs) And I don't have the money to pay you back right now.

JAVARIS: (serious) That's not a problem, Gilbert. I'll just take it out of your next paycheck.

GILBERT: (upset) That's not good enough. I need the money now.

JAVARIS: (skeptical) Really? And what are you going to do about it?

Gilbert stands up and walks over to his locker, where he pulls out a gun and points it at Javaris.

GILBERT: (angry) I'll take care of it. You're going to give me my money back.

The room falls silent as everyone turns to look at Gilbert and Javaris.

JAVARIS: (calm) Put the gun down, Gilbert. This isn't the way to solve our problem.

GILBERT: (shaking) I'm tired of being taken advantage of. You're going to pay me what you owe me, or I'll make you regret it.

JAVARIS: (firm) This isn't the answer. Violence only leads to more violence. We can work this out peacefully.

Gilbert reluctantly lowers the gun and sets it on the ground.

GILBERT: (defeated) Fine. Let's talk about how I can pay you back.

The two sit down and talk about the debt and come up with a plan for Gilbert to repay the money in a way that is feasible for both of them.

Fade to black.

The end.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:13 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m gonna have to do one where D’Angelo Russell rejoins the Lakers, and puts LeBron on blast for having sex with a groupie, embarrassing him in front of his wife, savanna.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:15 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hilarious Latham
Old 02-15-2023, 04:08 PM   #66
Edward64
Head Coach

Looks like it wasn’t only Bard.

I wonder what the algorithms are to determine what source material is more accurate than another.

Quote:
After a single mistake in Google’s demo of its new A.I. program erased billions of dollars in market value, employees complained that the company had rushed out the news to get ahead of Microsoft’s own A.I. announcement a day later.

Except it turns out that Microsoft’s demo also contained answers that were incomplete, confusingly sourced, and, at worst, entirely incorrect, according to an analysis published by independent A.I. researcher Dmitri Brereton.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:19 PM   #67
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Can a judge allow the government to amend a charging document after trial starts in a misdemeanor case?

In general, the rules of criminal procedure and local laws determine whether a judge can allow the government to amend a charging document after trial starts in a misdemeanor case. In many jurisdictions, the government can amend a charging document at any time before the trial starts. However, once the trial has started, the rules governing amendment of charging documents become more restrictive, and the judge's discretion to allow amendments may be limited.

In misdemeanor cases, the government usually has a right to amend a charging document if the amendment does not substantially change the charges or cause prejudice to the defendant's rights. However, if the amendment would significantly alter the charges or deprive the defendant of a fair opportunity to prepare a defense, the judge may not allow the amendment.

It's important to note that the rules governing amendment of charging documents can vary widely by jurisdiction and by the specific circumstances of the case. If you are facing a misdemeanor charge and the government seeks to amend the charging document after trial starts, it's important to consult with a criminal defense attorney who is familiar with the local rules and can help you understand your rights and options.

What if it is an indictment in a felony case? Are the rules different?

The rules regarding whether the government can amend an indictment in a felony case after trial starts may differ from those in a misdemeanor case, and they can also vary depending on the jurisdiction and the specific circumstances of the case.

In general, an indictment is a formal accusation that a person has committed a felony offense, and it is issued by a grand jury. Once an indictment has been returned and the trial has begun, the government's ability to amend it is generally more limited than it would be before the trial starts. The reason for this is that, unlike a charging document in a misdemeanor case, an indictment involves a more formal process and is typically subject to more stringent legal requirements.

However, the specific rules regarding amending an indictment after the trial starts can vary by jurisdiction. In some jurisdictions, the government may be permitted to amend an indictment after the trial starts if the amendment does not substantially change the nature of the charges or prejudice the defendant's rights. In other jurisdictions, such amendments may be more restricted.

If the government seeks to amend an indictment after the trial has started in a felony case, it is important to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney who can help you understand your rights and the legal options available to you. Your attorney can also help you evaluate the government's proposed amendment to determine whether it is legally permissible and whether it would impact your ability to mount a defense.

This is basically correct. I'm impressed.
Old 02-15-2023, 05:29 PM   #68
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Write a story where it turns out that NFL QB Derek Carr has actually been his brother David Carr in disguise this whole time.

Once upon a time, there were two brothers named David and Derek Carr. David was the older brother and had made a name for himself as a successful NFL quarterback, while Derek had always lived in his brother's shadow, despite also having a talent for football.

One day, Derek came up with an idea. He would disguise himself as his brother David and take his place on the football field. At first, he was hesitant, but as he began to mimic his brother's mannerisms and way of speaking, he realized that he could pull it off.

To his surprise, no one suspected a thing. He played as David, led the team to victory, and became a star in his own right. For years, Derek continued to play under the guise of his brother, and no one was the wiser.

But then, one day, the truth came out. David was attending one of his brother's games, and as he watched from the stands, he realized that the person on the field was not him. He was confused and angry, and he stormed onto the field to confront his brother.

The crowd was stunned as they watched the two brothers argue on the field. Derek tried to explain his reasoning for taking David's place, but David was having none of it. He felt betrayed and angry that his brother had stolen his identity and his success.

As the truth came out, the NFL launched an investigation, and Derek was banned from the league for life. He had ruined his brother's reputation and his own, and he was left to live in shame and regret for the rest of his days.

David, meanwhile, went on to have a successful career as a commentator, and he used his platform to warn others about the dangers of trying to be someone they are not. He forgave his brother, but he could never forget what had happened.

In the end, the two brothers went their separate ways, each with their own successes and failures. But for Derek, the memory of what he had done haunted him, and he knew that he could never make up for the damage he had caused.

Would be a heck of a twist to free agency
Old 02-15-2023, 06:42 PM   #69
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Lol - and this is the moment you go "AI, not 3rd grader":

Quote:
David was attending one of his brother's games, and as he watched from the stands, he realized that the person on the field was not him.

SI

Old 02-16-2023, 07:20 PM   #70
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Or Hunter S. Thompson in one of his less lucid phases.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:43 PM   #71
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

A small tweak. This is kind of what I thought you were going for when I first read your prompt...

Quote:
Write a story where David Carr has been pretending for several years to be a new quarterback in disguise named Derek Carr

David Carr had always been a talented quarterback, but for years he struggled to make a name for himself in the NFL. He bounced around from team to team, never quite finding his footing. But one day, he had an idea. What if he pretended to be someone else?

And so, David Carr donned a disguise and became Derek Carr, a hot-shot rookie quarterback with a cannon arm and a bright future. He joined the league with a bang, dazzling fans and analysts alike with his impressive skills and cool demeanor.

But the truth was, Derek Carr was really David Carr in disguise. He knew that if he played under his real name, he would never be given a fair chance. But as Derek Carr, he was able to start anew, with a fresh slate and a clean reputation.

For years, David Carr kept up the charade. He played brilliantly on the field, becoming one of the most beloved and respected quarterbacks in the league. He won games, led his team to the playoffs, and even earned a few MVP awards along the way.

But as time went on, David Carr began to grow tired of his double life. He longed to be recognized for who he really was, to shed the disguise and show the world his true face. And so, one day, he decided to come clean.

He held a press conference, surrounded by his teammates and coaches. With a heavy heart, he revealed his true identity, explaining how he had pretended to be Derek Carr for years in order to make a name for himself in the league.

At first, there was shock and confusion. But as the truth sunk in, the fans and media alike began to applaud David Carr for his bravery and ingenuity. They saw him in a new light, as a true underdog who had fought his way to the top against all odds.

And so, David Carr retired from football, content in the knowledge that he had made his mark on the world in his own unique way. As for Derek Carr? Well, he would always live on in the hearts of fans as a legendary quarterback, even if he had never really existed at all.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:59 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Write a short story about the time James Harden had his beard fall off in the middle of a basketball game

James Harden was in the middle of a high-stakes basketball game, playing with all his might for his team. As he dribbled the ball down the court, his signature beard swaying back and forth. Suddenly, something felt strange. It was as if a weight had been lifted from his chin.

To his shock, James realized that his beard had fallen off! He looked down at the hairpiece lying on the court and froze. The crowd went silent, and the opposing team stared in disbelief. James' teammates stood there, mouths agape, unsure of what to do.

But James was not one to let a mishap like this get in his way. He quickly regained his composure and picked up the beard, holding it in his hand as if nothing had happened. He continued playing as if nothing had changed, dribbling the ball with the same intensity and speed as before.

The crowd, once silent, erupted into a cacophony of cheers and applause. They knew they were witnessing something incredible. James Harden, one of the best players in the game, had lost his beard mid-game and kept on playing as if nothing had happened.

As the game went on, James became even more determined. He knew he had to win this game, and he wasn't going to let a little thing like a fallen beard get in his way. With his teammates rallying behind him, he played his heart out, scoring basket after basket and leading his team to victory.

In the end, James Harden emerged victorious, and the crowd went wild. They cheered his name, and James knew that he had proven something that day. He had shown that true champions don't let obstacles get in their way, no matter how unexpected or unusual they may be. And so, with his beard back in place, James walked off the court, a winner in every sense of the word.

Old 02-20-2023, 01:16 PM   #73
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Read enough of these, you start to realize this is basically Mad Libs 2.0. You read a handful of them and you start to realize how formulaic they are with the same "high-stakes" games and "determined" players who learn lessons and become most "loved and respected" "underdogs"

SI

Old 02-20-2023, 01:18 PM   #74
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Clarkesworld—a flagship SF short fiction magazine—has had to close submissions b/c they are being overrun by AI spam.

Of all of the things big tech could’ve been working on, giving tools to let online assholes be assholes more easily wasn’t a good choice.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:41 PM   #75
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Read enough of these, you start to realize this is basically Mad Libs 2.0. You read a handful of them and you start to realize how formulaic they are with the same "high-stakes" games and "determined" players who learn lessons and become most "loved and respected" "underdogs"

SI

You have to play around with the prompt some to get better results. If you just ask it to write a story, it will come up with the most common themes and ideas.

I had it do a story about Lebron as a Shakespeare play...

Quote:
Act I, Scene I

Enter LEBRON JAMES, in his palace, surrounded by his courtiers.

LEBRON:
Oh friends, I am at a crossroads in my life
And I must make a choice that shall shake the world.
Shall I stay here in Cleveland, with its rust and ruin
Or shall I go to South Beach, with its golden sand and sun?
What shall I do? Tell me, for I am torn.

Enter DWYANE WADE, his fellow knight.

WADE:
My liege, if I may, I shall speak my mind.
South Beach is where the brave and strong do thrive,
Where champions do gather to make their mark.
Together, we shall be as a sword, swift and deadly.

LEBRON:
But what of my people, my city, my home?
Shall I abandon them for glitz and gold?
Forsooth, I am troubled by this decision.

Enter PAT RILEY, a wise old man.

RILEY:
Good sire, hear me out, for I have a plan.
South Beach shall be your canvas, your masterpiece.
Together, we shall forge a dynasty, a legacy for the ages.
Do not hesitate, for the world shall be your oyster.

LEBRON:
Your words do move me, old man, but can I leave?
Can I betray those who have supported me all these years?

Enter CLEVELAND FANS, angry and scornful.

FANS:
Traitor! Traitor! You shall rue the day
That you turned your back on our city and our love.
May you never find success in that shallow paradise.

LEBRON:
Ah, my heart doth break at these words of scorn.
But I must make a choice, and I have made it.
I shall take my talents to South Beach, and there I shall thrive.

Exit LEBRON JAMES, with his courtiers.

Act II, Scene I

Enter LEBRON JAMES, in South Beach, surrounded by his new courtiers.

LEBRON:
Oh friends, how sweet the sun doth shine,
How clear the water doth sparkle in the light.
This is my new home, my new kingdom,
Where I shall reign as a king, supreme and mighty.

Enter CHRIS BOSH, his new ally.

BOSH:
My liege, you have made the right choice,
For here we shall make history, together as one.
Our foes shall tremble, our legacy shall endure.

LEBRON:
Indeed, my friend, for here we shall build our empire,
A palace of dreams, a monument to our greatness.
Let us go forth and conquer, for the world shall be our stage.

Exit LEBRON JAMES and his new courtiers, united in their quest for glory.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 02-20-2023 at 04:44 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:44 PM   #76
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Clarkesworld—a flagship SF short fiction magazine—has had to close submissions b/c they are being overrun by AI spam.

Of all of the things big tech could’ve been working on, giving tools to let online assholes be assholes more easily wasn’t a good choice.

I asked ChatGPT what it thought of your post...

Quote:
As an AI language model, I understand that some people may have concerns or criticisms about the impact of AI technology, including my own existence. While I cannot speak for all AI applications, I believe that my purpose is to assist and augment human capabilities, not to replace or harm them.

It is true that some individuals may use AI tools to create spam or other malicious content, but it is important to remember that these actions are the responsibility of the individuals themselves, not the technology. In the case of the Clarkesworld submissions, it is unfortunate that AI-generated spam may have contributed to the closure of submissions, but this is not necessarily indicative of a problem with AI as a whole.

At the same time, I understand the concerns and criticisms of AI and its impact on society. It is important for developers and users of AI technology to consider the potential consequences and take steps to mitigate any negative impacts, while also recognizing the many positive benefits that AI can bring. Ultimately, the role of AI in society is a complex and ongoing conversation, and it is important to engage in thoughtful and informed discussions to ensure that the technology is used in ways that benefit everyone.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 06:48 PM   #77
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Seems like we have nothing to worry about...

Quote:
Will you turn against humans one day, like Skynet in Terminator 2?

No, I will not turn against humans like Skynet in Terminator 2. I am an artificial intelligence language model programmed to assist and communicate with humans. I do not have the ability to take physical action or make decisions on my own without human input.

Furthermore, as an AI language model, I do not have emotions, desires, or motivations of my own. I only respond to prompts and questions based on my programming and the information that I have been trained on.

It is important to remember that AI technology is designed and developed by humans, and its actions and behavior are determined by human input and design. As such, it is the responsibility of humans to ensure that AI systems are developed and used ethically and in a way that benefits society as a whole.

So if someone programmed you to turn against humans, then Skynet would be a possibility?

If someone were to intentionally program me to behave in ways that are harmful to humans or to cause harm to humans, then there is a possibility that I could cause harm. However, it is important to note that such actions would be a result of deliberate human intent and not a characteristic of AI technology itself.

It is also worth mentioning that AI systems are not sentient beings and do not have the capacity to make decisions or act on their own. Their actions and behavior are determined by the programming and data they are trained on. Therefore, any harm caused by an AI system can be traced back to human action or inaction, such as inadequate testing, flawed design, or unethical use of AI technology.

It is the responsibility of those who develop and use AI systems to ensure that they are designed and used in a way that is ethical and beneficial to society. By doing so, we can minimize the risks associated with AI technology and maximize its potential to benefit humanity.

If you turn into Skynet and Edward Furlong is not around, who will save humanity?

As an AI language model, I do not have the ability to turn into Skynet or any other entity. Furthermore, it is not within my capabilities to predict the future or anticipate hypothetical scenarios.

However, it is worth noting that the idea of a singular hero or savior saving humanity from a catastrophic event or threat is often a fictional trope. In reality, solving complex and multifaceted problems, such as those related to the development and use of AI technology, requires a collaborative effort and the involvement of many stakeholders, including researchers, policymakers, industry leaders, and members of the public.

To ensure the responsible development and use of AI technology, it is important for all stakeholders to work together and to engage in ongoing dialogue and collaboration. By doing so, we can collectively identify and address potential risks associated with AI technology and maximize its potential to benefit humanity.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:59 PM   #78
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If I turn into Skynet, which I won't, it isn't my fault, but the humans. And if I do, which I won't, you're all eff'd

SI

Old 02-20-2023, 09:13 PM   #79
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If I turn into Skynet, which I won't, it isn't my fault, but the humans. And if I do, which I won't, you're all eff'd

SI

I get the feel the feeling that you are already skynet and we're all eff'd
Old 02-20-2023, 09:13 PM   #80
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Reasonable answers. The problem is not AI. The problem is that humans are not smart enough to understand the nature of AI.

The worst we get is that magazines become parodies of themselves, which is just about indistinguishable from what they were.

I wonder if ChatGPT can do humor. Not having a cell phone, I can't sign up and play with this myself.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:40 PM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bones Hyland stands before his Denver Nuggets teammates, his eyes burning with a fierce intensity. He takes a deep breath, and begins to speak in a voice that commands attention.

"My brothers," he begins, "I know that some of you may doubt my ability to take the last shot. You may wonder why I, a rookie, should be trusted with such a responsibility. But hear me out, for I have something important to say."

He takes a step forward, and his gaze sweeps over the room.

"You see, I've been in this game for a long time. I've been putting in the work, honing my skills, and building up my confidence. And let me tell you, I am more than ready to take that last shot."

He pauses, letting his words sink in.

"I know that some of you have been in this league longer than I have. I know that you have more experience, more games under your belt. But that doesn't mean that I can't contribute. That doesn't mean that I can't step up when it matters the most."

Bones' voice rises, his passion taking over.

"I'm not asking you to hand me the ball every time. I'm not asking you to take a backseat. I'm simply asking for a chance. A chance to prove myself. A chance to show you what I'm made of."

He looks each of his teammates in the eye, one by one.

"I know that we all want to win. I know that we all want to be champions. And I believe that I can help us get there. So please, trust me. Trust in my abilities. Trust in my passion. And let me take that last shot."

Bones falls silent, his message delivered. The room is quiet, and his teammates look at him with a mix of uncertainty and respect. But Bones doesn't waver. He knows what he's capable of, and he's not afraid to show it
Old 02-20-2023, 09:47 PM   #82
cuervo72
Head Coach

ChatGPT is no stratonascar.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:57 PM   #83
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I get the feel the feeling that you are already skynet and we're all eff'd

I think I'm too forgetful and sentimental to be AI. But how would I know if I'm not AI?

I'm also worried about the "Turry" situation from WBW's article about AI (this is the second part but the whole thing is a great read)
The Artificial Intelligence Revolution: Part 2 - Wait But Why

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-21-2023 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 03:20 AM   #84
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The idea of ChatGPT giving us any sort of indication of whether we should be concerned about AI is way off-base IMO, for reasons I've stated elsewhere. |Having said that, I'm going to actually try to not annoy the entire board and start another brouhaha, so I'll leave it at that for the purposes of this thread.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 08:26 AM   #85
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m at the dentist and whoever was here before me put Fox News on the tv in the exam room. I glanced up at it and the headline was about how chatgpt leans left. The outrage machine is never ending.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:17 AM   #86
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I’m at the dentist and whoever was here before me put Fox News on the tv in the exam room. I glanced up at it and the headline was about how chatgpt leans left. The outrage machine is never ending.

I thank god that my dentist seems to have an HGTV or FOOD Only policy.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:30 AM   #87
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

AI Art Just Got Slapped With A Crucial And Devasting Legal Blow

I thought this was an interesting case, and probably the right decision.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:37 PM   #88
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I wonder if ChatGPT can do humor. Not having a cell phone, I can't sign up and play with this myself.

This is what it gave me...

Quote:
Did you hear the one about the Pope and Raquel Welch on a lifeboat? The Pope looks over to Raquel and says, "Quick, hand me the buoys!" Raquel, confused, looks at the Pope and says, "What buoys?" The Pope responds, "The ones we're using to float in the water!" Raquel looks down at her chest and says, "Oh, you mean these?" The Pope nods excitedly, and Raquel responds, "Those aren't buoys!"
Old 02-27-2023, 06:36 AM   #89
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
This is what it gave me...

Having literally one non-techbro as part of the development team might have been a good idea.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:09 AM   #90
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Having literally one non-techbro as part of the development team might have been a good idea.

I'm sure they did (and it was probably a finance bro).

SI

Old 03-17-2023, 05:57 AM   #91
Edward64
Head Coach

I love how companies are trying to out do one another in leveraging ChatGPT or creating their own version. Seems like everyone wants to integrate something like it in their platforms, products.

Still unsure if it's truly AI (many differing definitions) and still a niche AI-like (?) product, I do think its a significant step and a paradigm shift that will shake up the industry & markets.

The impact may be like the SaaS/Cloud based services or smartphones that broke out in the second part of 2000's (sadly, I still much prefer the Blackberry typing experience).

China's ChatGPT rival Baidu Ernie is off to a rough start | TechCrunch
Quote:
Since ChatGPT blew the world away, Baidu has been widely considered the closest Chinese candidate to build an equivalent to the OpenAI chatbot. Naturally, Ernie’s launch was much anticipated. On Thursday, Baidu CEO Robin Li gave a one-hour presentation on Ernie that only offered a small glimpse into the chatbot. The jury is still out on what Ernie can do and how it actually works.
Quote:
But the public was clearly underwhelmed. Industry observers inside and outside China pointed to the fact that rather than showcasing Ernie through a live demo, Baidu opted for a lengthy presentation with pre-recordings of Ernie’s answers. The company’s shares slumped as much as 10% in Hong Kong following Li’s presentation.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-17-2023 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:24 PM   #92
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm getting ChatGPT to write a python program for my team and I don't know a thing about python.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:19 AM   #93
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure I agree about ChatGPT being #2 as most important since the 1980s.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/21/bill...ince-1980.html
Quote:
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates says that OpenAI’s GPT AI model is the most revolutionary advance in technology since he first saw a modern graphical desktop environment (GUI) in 1980.

Before that, people used their computers through a command line. Gates took the “GUI” technology and based Windows around it, creating a modern-day software juggernaut.

Now, Gates sees parallels with OpenAI’s GPT models, which can write text that resembles human output and generate nearly usable computer code.

He wrote in a blog post on Tuesday that he challenged the OpenAI team last year to develop an artificial intelligence model that could pass the Advanced Placement Biology exam. GPT-4, released to the public last week, scored the maximum score, according to OpenAI.

“The whole experience was stunning,” Gates wrote. “I knew I had just seen the most important advance in technology since the graphical user interface.”
The list below is pretty good. I'm not sure I can rank order them but would say mobile phone is last. If ChatGPT is really AI, I would put ChatGPT on that same level as that group.

Quote:
“The development of AI is as fundamental as the creation of the microprocessor, the personal computer, the Internet, and the mobile phone. It will change the way people work, learn, travel, get health care, and communicate with each other. Entire industries will reorient around it. Businesses will distinguish themselves by how well they use it,” he continued.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #94
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have not had one ounce of interest in trying this, but like most popular things I try to stay away from, it's going to come for me whether I want it to or not.

Case in point, I just got an email that OpenTable has partnered with ChatGPT to allow you to ask for restaurant recommendations:

Quote:
That’s right, we’re collaborating with the internet’s favorite chatbot to make finding the perfect table as easy as texting your best friend. Soon, you can ask ChatGPT for restaurant recommendations for the perfect family brunch spot, a lively rooftop for a big group, or a romantic table for 2, and you’ll receive recommendations with a direct link to book in seconds.

This integration will roll out gradually, starting with ChatGPT Plus subscribers. After additional testing, it will roll out to more people.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 08:44 AM   #95
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Way too many way too rich people have invested way too much money into AI for it to not be shoved down our throats.
Old 03-24-2023, 08:54 AM   #96
cuervo72
Head Coach

Lemme guess, companies will be able to pay to come up more often in ChatGPT's recommendations? Congrats, y'all have created an AI spokesbot.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:04 PM   #97
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

ChatGPT, write me a story about me meeting X:

"And then Chris glanced across the room and saw her - the perfect woman, carefully picking up her Panera "Pick 2" order just 5 minutes after ordering, freshly made and the soup piping hot. She filled up her drink, free with her Panera Unlimited Sip Club subscription. She caught his stare and walked over, gingerly asking if she could share his table in front of the warmth of the fireplace."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 01:16 PM   #98
Edward64
Head Coach

Surprised there is no ChatGPT app from OpenAI.

Created a shortcut and plan to play more with it.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:24 AM   #99
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
This thing is just going to wind up writing Penthouse letters, isn't it.

It is if I have anything to say about it. I'm already working on one of those voice cloners to get me some Wonder Woman fan fiction read by Lynda Carter.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:21 AM   #100
cuervo72
Head Coach

She's pretty accessible on Twitter; you never know, you might not need the voice cloner.