Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Moor Green: An FM Dynasty

Months ago I started an FM career with lowly Moor Green in the English Conference North division. After some early season ups and downs, and a fairly brutal run of injuries (more or less because of me moronically not realizing I had "train on match day" ticked with an already intensive regime), we settled in for what became essentially a two-horse race for the title and a newly minted rivalry with league foe Nuneaton. The two of us pulled out front of the pack early, and battled for the top throughout most of the season. Almost all my victories were deflated by a corresponding victory from damn Nuneaton, and the format of the English Conference North makes a close second place about as terrible as can be, with no guaranteed promotion and no real advantage in a four team playoff.

After a frustrating season, and the near constant pressure to win every game to have a chance at the title, we faced Nuneaton at home with nine games remaining, and the two of us deadlocked at the top with goal differential the only factor tipping the table in our favor.

Needless to say, in a season of constant frustration, they beat us. A 2-1 domination on our own field made only slightly palatable by the injury time goal we snuck in to make it look respectable. A goal many of our fans who started heading for the gates in the eightieth minute never saw.

We had excuses, a key injury, and most of our midfield plagued by the dreaded "in need of rest" disease, but mostly we just got beat, bad, and it looked like the season was slipping away. We'd have to claw our way through a playoff as an already wounded and tired team, and no one wanted to face the prospect of putting up eighty something points in a division and then having to come back around for another season.

So the loss was a gutshot. One I doubted a heavily fatigued team could handle, only getting by as it was because of a false sense of self and high morale. I knew that all the players I'd forced into the lineup despite condition concerns (all of my better players), would need to be rested, probably for multiple games, and that we simply didn't have the bench to hold the line in their absence. We'd be trying to come from behind, with our best players either injured or on the bench, and coming off of a devastating loss. And going after a team in top form, with a jubilant victory carrying them into the last part of the season.

It was hopeless.

But something funny happened. We started grinding out 1-0 wins with old geezers and punk kids. Other teams were putting penalties into the sky and our lazy crosses were drifting somehow into the net. One by one our more talented players found their fitness, coming back refreshed and renewed, and taking over games. We held the pace, kept on going, and looked up with six straight victories (some ugly as hell) and our best first eleven in top form.

And it was over. Nuneaton had played like I thought we would, losing as many games after that 2-1 victory as they'd lost throughout the whole rest of the year. A total collapse. With three games to go we had clinched, and the end of year table looked nothing like the streetfight the season had been for most of the year. We ran out with easy meaningless games, giving a handful of our youngsters some playing time, and relaxing after an emotionally taxing back and forth that had taken its toll, but brought with it the filling pride of persevering victory.

We had won promotion to the Conference National. We had a good core of young players, and no particularly terrible contract issues looming in the offseason. But could this team that came out of nowhere to compete for the Conference North title, and then came back from the dead to win it, really succeed another rung up the ladder?

MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

So I've had a slow down at work, and I've been looking to get back into a good solid game of FM. I've actually been having trouble staying "motivated" and I'm hoping a dynasty is the answer. So I'm picking up this old career to see what happens.

What are my goals with it? I'm not sure. There are definitely a handful of jobs I would leave Moor Green for, and I'm playing with enough leagues that if I want to vagabond about there should be options (All English, all Italian, as well as top two Spanish, French, German, and Dutch leagues). But there's also some desire to see how far I can take this club. I've hit the frustrated ceiling with a small club before, where the board won't expand and you simply don't have the funds to make it interesting anymore. Maybe this time I'll stick around long enough to work through that. Who knows.

As of now I'd say I'd leave for Barca, Napoli, Roma, Fiorentina, West Ham, Leeds, and possibly Arsenal or Chelsea. So I've got time, none of those jobs will be offering any time soon. (Although a Leyton Orient might tempt me in a moment of weakness, simply as a chance to build a low London club up). But I also like the spot I'm in with the Moors. We've got some good young talent from the bargain bins of bigger clubs, guys without the potential (I'm assuming) to become stars on the big stage but have plenty of talent to take us through the lower leagues.

Right now it's June 7th, 2005. And we're trying to figure out if that good young talent is going to be enough.

Conference North 04/05 End of Season Table

As you can see the evil forces of Nuneaton found their way through the playoff and will be joining us in the Conference National. Wouldn't have it any other way. As you can also see we had an amazing year, unbelievable that for so long it seemed like it might turn out as anything but. Most goals scored and least allowed, and 96 points ain't bad no matter who you're playing.

But I've seen this before. It seems like it really only takes a year or two to get results like these at the lowest levels. Utilizing your loans in an intelligent way, trying to pick up some cheap players here and there, at this point I've got enough experience with CM/FM to have a fairly strong model for building a winner at these levels.

More on that in a second...
Old 08-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I try to basically start with defense. I do everything I can to find a couple of central defenders with good jumping, heading, and pace. I need guys that can win balls in the air back there, or I'm in big trouble. And I've found that if these guys don't have a decent amount of pace (basically near ten at this level) then I can run into problems, quick strikers tear me up. I like to play a short passing, slow tempo, possession and build up type of game, and my team has a tendency to get pulled forward, and then torched on the counterattack if my DC's can't move a little.

These are basically the most difficult players to find for a lower league team. Difficult because, especially at the start of the game, there are very few good DC's that are available for loan. If you need an MC or an SC odds are you can get a bigger club to throw you somebody from their reserve squad, and even pay them for you. You may not get a world beater this way, but you'll get a decent body, a free player as good or better than most of your alternatives. With DC's it just doesn't happen, there are a couple, who most likely won't come even if their club accepts and no one else offers, and bigger and better clubs will usually be vying for their services.

So I look for these guys wherever I can find them. Even if they're old man river types who don't have more than a year or two left in the tank. You need to get an anchor back there.

The other thing you need to do is collect as many of those aforementioned MF/SC bodies as you can find. My first moves in a career are to try and pick up at least one or two long term loan players who are going to be very good players for the level I'm at. Guys that have skills far superior than most of my team, but who are stuck in the reserves of Premeirship squad's they will never break into. I let my assistant sort the players I have no chance with out, and half the time I'm offering loans based on player value because most of their skills aren't visible to me. A lot of these guys will laugh me out of the room or go someplace else, but I'll end up with a couple, and they're worth their weight in gold.

The third thing I do is target that one player on almost every LL team that has some value for a transfer. There's always a 29yr old something or other who is the best player on your team, and, God willing, somebody has some interest in him. And if they don't, then I offer to clubs until they do. I need to get some transfer funds.

In this career, nobody wanted what I was selling. I dumped three or four players for 2k (all values in euros from here on) apiece, and a couple for free to clear some salary. This gave me something to work with. I was able to scrape a few players away from teams for peanuts. And picked up a couple young Swedish players my scouts found in Scandinavia for nothing but sell-on fee percentages. And then boom, in the winter transfer window, finally somebody came knocking for that 29yr old something or other (an MR named Darren Middleton) and paid me the ultimate in Conference extravagance, a whopping forty thousand euros.

Which opened me up to put in bids for some of the guys I'd been loaning, and who were now transfer listed. Landing me basically my team's nucleus, and best group of players.

So...
Old 08-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

On to that squad...

The team as it stands...

I'll run down the key guys.

DMC David Fox
Probably our most important player. It's obvious when he's not on the pitch. He's a midfield lynchpin, and clearly the keystone of our organization on the field as people seem to forget where they are if he's on the bench. We crumble without him, and no matter how tired he is we seem to be better with him on the field than off it. At 21 he's still getting better, and he's one of the windfalls of the Darren Middleton bounty coming over on a transfer from ManU.

AMLRC Stephen Cooke
Probably our best player. A midseason pickup from Aston Villa, the 22yr old is simply technically and otherwise superior than 99% of the guys at this level. Most of his skills fall in the 10-15 range, and his versatility is just incredible. His ability to basically play anywhere in the midfield (and be dominant) was crucial to our success when dealing with injuries. We are still solid without him, but he is the spark that took us from good to great last season. I play what is essentially a 442 with diamond midfield, and although he seems best suited to the AMC role from his profile, he always seemed more effective shredding people down the wings.

DC Franklin Simek
He's slow. And he has low stamina. (8 pace, and 7 stam respectively) But at this level his 15 jumping and 15 heading, and solid all around skills, make him the critical anchor at the back. I've found that despite the stamina he rarely needs to be subbed, most likely because my midfield is where the real work is taking place and Franklin's just winning headers all day and sipping martini's at the half line. Not to mention at 20, he's got his best years ahead of him, and has the skills to play the role he plays for us through at least League 2 (*Fingers Crossed*).

And now a couple interesting / other / whatever guys...

SC Erik Lund
A discovery early by one of my two (damn good) scouts in Scandinavia. Lund is only 16 at the moment but has good skills, and also has the extraordinarily fortuitous tag of "Promising Striker" in his player description. It's been my experience that "Promising" anythings turn into great players, and he already has a good base in the requisite striking skills. Definitely didn't do great things this year, but his action was limited and I'm aware of the difficulties of trying to develop him in such Spartan surroundings (My "training facilities" consist of a few John Basedow videos, a rusted out bench press, and a mini-goal in the small corner of my backyard I've taught the dog not to crap in). But we'll see what happens. He turns 17 at the end of this month, and hopefully he won't require some kind of absurd contract, his value is far higher than what I've seen from him warrants at the moment.

GK Luke Steele
Another ManU pickup, or dump off, depending on your perspective. Good skills for a keeper, 20 yrs old, has been solid but unspectacular, which is all I'm really looking for from him, hopefully. Another guy whose value has started to rocket for no apparent reason, but whom I've got no real interest in selling simply because nobody I would buy with that money would come down and play for me. Hopefully we can maneuver through any issues.

SC Jakob Hadda
The second Swede Striker from my Scandinavian scouting venture. Basically a clone of Lund in a lot of ways, except five years older and without any real indications of great potential. But... he does actually score goals, unlike Mr. Lund, so it's a freaking wash really. He's also a guy that's something of a tweener as we move up a level. I might have two blonde-haired blue-eyed non-goal scoring wonders on my hands. Time will tell.

I'll break down what I'm looking to do in the offseason in the next post. And maybe give a game universe overview or something...
Old 08-03-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

The Premier League Table for season 1

Chelsea take it home. As well as the FA and League Cup for a quasi-treble. Liverpool a dismal 9th.

Around Europe...

Champions League
Milan beat Juventus on penalties after a 1-1 draw in a great match. Milan leading 1 - nil most of the match until a 90th minute goal for Juve from Uruguyan Ruben Olivera. What's with Milan and letting people come back? Hmm...

But it gets better in Extra Time. Sheva and Jonathan Zebina have been battling all game, it's hard fought, it's crazy, great chances here, great tackles there. Frustration is showing.

A great through ball for Andriy, he's got a step, streaking just outside the box, can he finish? A lunging last gasp tackle from Zebina, just enough to cleanly nudge the ball toward a pouncing Buffon coming off his line, and just enough to send Andriy tumbling.

Zebina wags a finger at the fallen Milanese striker. Shevchenko pops up, "You think Ukraine is joke!" Right cross. Red card. Milan plays the rest of ET a man down.

But like I say, they win it on penalties. Wide from Trezeguet seals Juve's fate. And Milan takes down the real treble, putting the CL trophy next to their Italian League Cup and Scudetto hardware. Interesting to note that it was an all Italian semi-final with Milan over Roma, and Juve over Inter to setup the final.

EURO Cup
Valencia win 1-0 over Olympiakos. Nothing clever happens.

Spain
Real Madrid win la Liga. Barcelona finish fifth, miss a CL spot. Michael Laudrup hired as manager to replace Frank Rijkaard. Interesting...

The Others
Monaco win the French League by 15 points. Werder Bremen win the German First Division. AZ Almaar squeak out over Ajax in the Dutch Premeir Division.

Notable Transfers (again, everything in euros)
Fall:
Xavi from Barcelona to Chelsea for 47.5M
Robinho from Santos to Barcelona for 17.5M
Wesley Sneijder from Ajax to Real Madrid for 11.75M
William Gallas (17.5M) and Juan Sebastian Veron (12M) from Chelsea to Barcelona
Christian Vieri from Inter to Real Madrid for 7.75M

Winter: Ashley Cole from Arsenal to Barcelona for 24.5M
Sanli Tuncay from Fenerbahce to Deportivo for 19.75M
Michael Ballack from FC Bayern to Chelsea for 21.5M
Old 08-03-2005, 07:52 PM   #6
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Which brings us back to the Moors, and the soon to be Conference National, and June 7th, 2005. And some other details... Moor Green is led by a 27 year old, uncapped, unknown, Ivory Coastian (Ivory Coastman? Coastonian?) manager named Bouloboo Wakwae. Where did he come from? How did he rise to such heights? It's not clear. I know that I once received an email from Bouloboo, and that he was in the unfortunate position of having a great sum of money, but he needed to transfer it into my bank account, where I would then transfer it on to him later with a generous cut for myself. It was a winner for everybody, and all Bou, Boo-boo, I'm not sure I really know him well enough for these kinds of pet names, but I'll use them anyway. All Boo needed was my account info, my social, and a urine sample. But what he got instead was my heart.

You see whatever riches and glory may have been in his future by shuffling money around the world, meeting interesting people, etc. I could see quite clearly that Bouloboo Wakwae's true calling lay in becoming a fictional sports sim alias. A role in which I knew he could blossom into a mushroom clouding and many colored bouquet of absurdity. He was born for it.

And hence, he is a 27 year old manager of the Moor Green Moors, and you love it. Maybe we can work some interactivity in here. Feel free to post a Wakwae pic, what does this guy look like?

(As some more context for choosing photos: It's very possible that Bouloboo had nothing to do with African bank transfers. It's possible, likely even considering my immense popularity among people like this, that Bouloboo was simply a lowly penile enhancement salesman. Just a simple man plying his trade in the world of cock enlargement and mass emailings. It's a blind spot in my memory that's simply unforgivable. Did Bouloboo Wakwae sell dick pills? I don't know. I can't remember. He was just another in the pitiful revolving door of one and done emailers in my life. But the obvious still stands, he's a text-sim alias giant. Carry on...)

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-03-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

6/7/05

So one thing makes me nervous about this squad... our attack. If you scroll back and take a look at our squad's stats at the end of the season you'll see something important. Our best striker was a loanee from Arsenal, Adam Birchall. He has good speed, good skills, and great finishing (17). And did the bulk of our scoring in goals that mattered, whereas the scoring done by his counterpart, the Swede, Jakob Hadda came mostly in garbage time, piling onto already sealed contests.

This is a large problem because I've come to notice that my system basically requires a great finisher. I need a striker who can come up front with above average pace and excellent finishing. Without one such guy, I'm never comfortable. Games are always grind-fests, and you can never breathe until it's over. With one of these guys, I can control the game, jump out quick, and the tick the counter attack on with a lead and watch my pacey finishing fool lock down games with an extra goal or two on the break.

This is made even more frustrating because at the moment Birchall's contract is due to expire, and he's currently willing to sign with me (but it'd cost me 300k in compensation, which is basically an impossible fee). And I know once he hits the open market, even though he wants to now, he's not going to have any interest in coming back to the Moorlands when he's released. (This is some kind of odd bug, not serious, and probably even "explainable," but it's there.) And it makes me crazy. Because I could use him. He'd still have a lot of value, and be just as effective in the Conf Nat as he was last year. But I've seen it before, and I seriously doubt he'll be donning Green and Light Green of the Moors next year.

We shall see, but as we move forward finding a striker is probably our number one priority...
Old 08-03-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

6/20/05

Given 150k for Conference National TV Rights. This puts us out of the red and leaves a healthy 104k balance in the bank. How much of that will we see?

DMC David Fox is named supporters player of the year. Obviously pretty deserved, an average rating of 7.8 for the season. The heart and soul of our team.

The board is very pleased with my performance. As am I thank you. We're expected to fight bravely against relegation from the Conference National this season. My transfer booty... 14k. Like I said before though, who am I gonna spend it on anyway?

Super Scout David Jarrett (he's 20 and 20 on judging ability and potential) informs me that Moor Green starlet Franklin Simek would be an excellent acquisition for the club. I ask him if he's been taking his medication.

He hasn't.

6/27/05

Madrid win Spanish Cup 3 - 0 over Getafe.

Stoke have made an offer of 45k for AMRLC Stephen Cooke as well as offering to play a friendly with me. Cooke is currently valued at 70k, and really isn't replaceable, and really we don't need the money... They have set a deadline for negotiations at July 3rd. Something tells me that won't be necessary.

Stoke: "Hello?"

Boo: "Stuff it."

6/29/05

Erik Lund turns 17. He requests an extraordinarily manageable 12k/yr salary. I request an extra year on top of his offer, to lock him up through 2009. If he starts developing at all we'll have to renegotiate, but for now, it's a nice deal.

Doncaster manager David Penney inquires about purchasing DMC David Fox. I tell him that if he gives me his bank account info I will transfer him a large sum of money.

I'm waiting for the month to turn over. Then we'll take a look at the market of released players, see if there's anyone worth making a move for...

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-03-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

7/1/05

17yr old Swedish striker Erik Lund accepts his contract offer. We'll have him under contract for the next four years, for 12k/per (although with 25% yearly increases). At this salary he'll have to do yardwork around my house to muster a living wage.
Excellent...

Our former loan star, striker Adam Birchall, is released from Arsenal. Would he like to return to the Moorlands, unite the clans, join us?

He has no interest in joining Moor Green. Does he have an interest in having his eyeballs stabbed out? We shall see...
Old 08-04-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

7/5/05

It becomes apparent that no one that is now recently unattached in the transfer market is really interested in signing with me. I didn't believe it myself. Assistant Manager Simon Clifford had to take me aside quietly and explain that we are a basically crappy club, in a crappy division, with an unknown manager who has yet to really master the English language.

I nod slowly and put in a full season loan bid for a Man U winger, Kieran Richardson as well as a Liverpool striker, Neil Mellor. Both are valued at around 3M. Odds are slim, but stranger things have happened.

7/9/05

Boredom, something, I decide I'll put in a bid to Birchall anyway. Just to see what happens. Sweet talk him a little. Remind him of the good old days, running free in the Moor Green grass, scoring goals, snuggling into the one hotel room we could afford for the team on road trips. Adam, buddy, there's no one else interested in you. Let's make a deal. What do you say? 50k a year, how about it? Take your time. Think it over.

7/11/05

Striker Adam Birchall snubs Moor Green. Something like this...

Boo: "Hello?"

Birchall: "Stuff it."

Which is NOT NICE at all. And it makes us very angry. Boo makes a few calls. Gets in touch with a few contacts from his days as a junta guerilla leader for the vicious Daloa penis pill cartel. There's a lot of heavy breathing, whispering, venomous flecks of saliva.

Boo [in a menacing (oxymoron?) French accent]: "I want him spitting blood."

Click.

7/13/05

Kieran Richardson goes on loan to Peterborough for 3 months. And my other loan offer Neil Mellor has garnered a number of million euro transfer bids. Looks like none of these guys will be coming to town.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:28 AM   #11
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

7/15/05

So I'm looking at some alternatives in the transfer market. Let's see how far we can stretch this 14k.

My other scout Rob Campkin unearths another Swede he thinks would make a good signing. Olof Hviden-Watson is a left-footed MRLC valued at 1k, and he looks like a perfect solution to one of my winger positions, definitely a weak spot in the team, but also a less important part tactically.

I really like his skills, and his versatility is huge with me, I love guys that can play multiple positions. The 17 passing is a major plus, and his crossing ability might make me consider opening up our attack for a few more balls from the wing this year. His pace is low, and I wish he had a little bit better off the ball skills, but for 1k the guy is a steal. I put a bid in.

Another Scandinavian find, Peter Lundberg, a 24yr old Finnish striker. I like what he can do, he's not the answer to our "problem" up front, but he's a solid player who I'll be comfortable with playing should we run into some injuries. He might even surprise and be more than that.

And last but not least, a 20yr old Norwegian DMC, Kjetil Myrvold. He's valued higher than the others, more than our transfer budget would allow, and we really don't need a DMC but it's my experience that your scouts seem to have a nose for guys who might sell for less than their value. And I like the all-around skills he has. I put a bid in.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-04-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #12
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

None of these guys would really make or break the season. But they'd be nice upgrades, or at the very least some effective depth where we need it most. I feel like we've got enough defenders to manage, should someone go down, and although none of them are really amazing, they're adequate.

The midfield I'm less certain of. It's where our best players are, but it's also where our dropoff is biggest from first team to backups. Bringing in a few guys that can spell David Fox and Stephen Cooke on occasion would be a big help. And these two midfielders look good enough that I'd have to at least consider making some tactical adjustments to work them into the starting team if they come on board. I've had great success in this system with guys that are great passers in the midfield and both of these Scandinavians seem to fit that mold.

Up front, I'm still nervous. I need a dominant striker. I feel like I've got a good stock of number 2's, but I need a go to guy finishing attacks. I might need to make a move of some kind, sell someone to scrape together the 30k or so it might take to lure a semi-past it, but still superior, player down from L2 or L1 . Any time I've seen this situation before I've had to make my midfield much more attacking minded than I like, and we're spread thin in the gap between the mids and defense, and better teams eat us for breakfast. We'll see what happens. I'm at work and can't really sim, but seeing as how it's August in DC and half our staff is gone, I'll post a breakdown of what I try to do tactically in a little bit.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #13
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Tactical Overview

I basically like to build from the 4-4-2 mold, and unless I'm somehow in a situation where I've got guys I just have to get on the field I don't stray far from that. More often than not I like to play a simple, flat, 442 but in this career I've moved to the diamond midfield, and more or less a 4-1-2-1-2 I guess. I went to this to get a little more attack, and to give my more adventurous midfielder (Stephen Cooke) some space to work with between the other team's midfield and defense. Ultimately, because of injuries and such the role ended up being played by a loanee who's no longer with us, and Cooke ended up doing most of his work on the wings.

I play a short passing game. The team is set to 4 for passing (basically four clicks from the left) and I play a slow tempo style that is set at 4 as well. This basically plays to the strengths of the type of team I like to build, skilled in the middle of the field, strong at the back (at least centrally), with at least one clinical finisher up front. I'll usually set my two mc's to mixed passing, try through balls, etc. These are my best players, the guys I want making the important passes, and dictating the attack. Leaving the rest of the team on short, especially at this level, helps to minimize the number of useless long passes and loss of possession by my less skilled players.

Playing this type of game also allows me to push my defensive line up to about the three-quarter mark. The slow build up lets me control possession and shrink the field as my whole team moves forward. This is why it's critical to have DC's that can win back the balls played quickly forward in the air, it stifles most of the chances the opposition will try to exploit with a break. And keeps us in control of a short field, and constantly pressuring. Obviously a little bit of pace in the backline is necessary as well to get back if necessary.

I don't really mess with creative freedom very much. My DC's have almost none, and pretty much everyone else is left in the middle. I generally make sure to set up my set pieces, especially my offensive corners, in a more sensible way than the default. I've had great success basically setting my three or four best headers and jumpers to attack the goal and target all kicks at the six-yard box. I've also found it important to make sure I have quick players back to defend, and sometimes I even pull a third man out to stay back. I've seen MV note numerous times that you're more likely to give up a goal off a corner you take than to score one, and I take it to heart.

Defense

As before my DC's need to be able to win headers, I need to be comfortable that at least one of them can do this well. And I need them to have some amount of pace. I'm a huge proponent of catering individual instructions to the actual players on your team as well, as opposed to building a tactic that asks players to do things they're not capable of. If one of my DC's has 15 for tackling and I'm in the conference, you can bet he'll be set to tackle hard, I want him going in for as many balls as possible because it's a skill in which he's far superior to the players around him. I've set DC's on long shots often if they have the skill to do so, they end up putting maybe four a year in this way, or more if they're lurking outside the area on corners.

The same holds true for my fullbacks. I don't ask them to do things they can't do. Too many times I'll see a tactic where someone wants their fullbacks to run forward, get involved in attacks, put in lots of crosses, etc. And it's great if your fullbacks are Cafu or Roberto Carlos, but in the lower leagues you're lucky if your fullbacks can tie their shoes. If these guys don't have off the ball of at least 10 then they stay home for me, no forward runs, and a mentality just below normal. If they are somehow blessed with exceptional passing I let them try through balls, if they can dribble, then sure they can run with the ball, but most of these guys can't really do much of anything and I usually end up going with the guy who has some pace and can tackle a little.

Midfield

I've always depended on my central mids, and if I don't have the talent here then I've got problems. I make it a focus to bring guys in that can make the passes I need them to make, to open up attacks, and control the flow of the game. Basically I look for all around players, and if I can't get two good ones I try to have the crappy one at least complement my better player, and make him focus on pressuring people in the middle and give the other more space and freedom to use his ability. These guys get mixed passing (again if they have the skill) and pretty much anything else they can do, I allow them to do. Although long shots often for these guys seems cause a lot of "skimmed the top of the bar" possessions with shots outside the area.

With wingers I'm of a similar mind as I am with fullbacks. It's a little different because I set my wingers with a healthy attacking mentality, and most of the time I want them to get forward unless their off the ball, passing, and other attacking skills are so useless they'd just be out of position and a waste of space. But ultimately I've found it to be incredibly damaging to ask wingers to do things they can't really do, just as with fullbacks there seems to be some definite incentive to not asking these players to do too much. I've had a lot of success with keeping crosses at rarely, especially at the lower levels where I just don't usually have guys with the skill to deliver good crosses, or guys with the ability to get on the end of those crosses and do anything interesting with them. My wingers end up cutting the ball in and creating better chances than they would have with a bad cross.

Attack

I don't really try to do anything fancy. Sometimes I'll make one striker hold up the ball and try through balls, and make the other one a quick run with ball type player. This can help generate some nice one two's up front and good chances. But ultimately I just try and put the best players I can up there, you can't really mask the weaknesses of a bad striker, they can either score or they can't, and their instructions won't change that too much.

And that's basically that. I'm usually closing down almost the length of the field, another one of those reasons that it helps to push up the d-line and keep that field small, the other team never really has any breathing room. Overall it's pretty successful, but if I have a key central defender out with injury, or nobody upfront who can finish, I end up with a lot of possession and missed chances, and the other team ends up with a couple of great chances off of blown plays by a crappy DC that they usually convert.

Back to the season shortly...
Old 08-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #14
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

7/16/05

MIFK want 8k for the Finnish striker Lundberg. This is more than I'd like to spend. With only 14k available, and since I still don't see this guy as the dominant answer I need up front, it just doesn't seem like good value. I play the "how about 2k, but... with a 30% sell on fee" game. I doubt this will do anything for me, but hey, worth the old college try.

In better news... Pors Grenland have accepted my 1k offer for MRLC Olof Hviden-Watson. He wants to be a Key Player, and paid 45k/yr. I'm already over my wage budget. I could probably get him to come down a few thousand, but what's the point? Sounds good to me. I offer him a three year deal, and am about to give him everything he wants when I realize... I'm evil, and offer him 10k less a year to make it 35k/per.

I also make him answer a number of pointless questions about what might happen if he marries some kind of feminist, or has some kind of feminist daughter? Are we talking about some kind of crazy double hyphen stuff Olof? I mean you marry some bra burning, hairy armpitted, femi-nutjob and you're gonna end up with some whacked out law firm of a last name having kids wearing some monstrosity like Cusamato-Hviden-Watson around at school.

And what if she's a hyphen too Olof? What then, a triple hyphen? When does it end?

He doesn't have any answers. And I think he's confused that he's being offered 10k a year less even after putting up with that.

7/17/05

The other midfielder we were looking at, Myrvold, is going to cost 33k. A little too rich, and probably not within the realm of negotiation. We'll pass for now, but will keep an eye out though.

7/19/05

I'm starting to worry as I'm realizing we really only have three strikers on our roster right now. Ever have that befuddled feeling that you misplaced a striker somewhere. Like I swear there's another one around somewhere, I just can't find him.

I throw in some bids for Adam Nowland of Nottingham Forrest and Scott Fitzgerald of Carlisle. Just some super low transfer bids, hoping for a warm response. They're both a little out of my league, but transfer listed, so anything's possible. And they're both pretty good strikers.

Also... Hviden-Watson gets back to me and... he accepts. Woohoo! I'm already plotting the long and retarded conversations I shall inflict him with on the road. But seriously a big pickup for us, and at 1k, not much of a burden on what we can do in the future.

We've also got the first game of our Northern Ireland tour today, too bad Olof won't be able to suit up...

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-05-2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #15
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Carrick Friendly

Code:
| GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 8-8-7-8-8 | 98% | - | - | - | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 97% | - | - | - | | DL | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Superb | 8-8-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | DC | Wnt | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-8-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | DMC | | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 8-10-8-7-7 | 99% | - | - | - | | MR | | Peter Faulds | M R | Superb | 8-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | ML | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 9-8-7-6-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | AMC | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Superb | 10-9-6-7-7 | 97% | - | - | - | | FC | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | - | 94% | - | - | - | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 99% | - | - | - | | S1 | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 8-8-7-7-6 | 97% | - | - | - | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-8-7 | 97% | - | - | - | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | S5 | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 6-7-7-7-6 | 95% | - | - | - | | S6 | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | - | 96% | - | - | - | | S7 | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 99% | - | - | - | | S8 | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | - | 98% | - | - | - | | S9 | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-7-6-6-7 | 97% | - | - | - | | S10 | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Poor | - | 98% | - | - | - | | S11 | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 6-7-6-7-6 | 95% | - | - | - | | - | Int | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 8-7-7-7-8 | 96% | - | - | - | | | | | | | | | | | | | -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I don't know entirely what to expect from this game. I'm guessing we should win, but who knows. Definitely had an odd moment when I realized that Erik Lund, Swedish hopefully soon to be superstar, was off playing for the Swedish U-19's in the U-19 Euro Championship tournament. I already feel like I'm missing a striker, and now one of them's off running around for some damn Swedish youth team.

This thrusts 35 year old Rob Elmes into the starting eleven. Elmes is one of those players you forget even exists. I open his profile and find he has regressed even further in his old age from the non-greatness he personified as a 34 year old forward. He now sports mind blowing pace and stamina attributes of 3, and a pack-a-day natural fitness number of 2.

We have no other strikers...

Kickoff

7th: DMC Fox brings the ball forward, a nice one-two with AMC Cooke just outside the area. Fox takes one dribble forward and rips one from just at the edge of the box. Bending... off the crossbar.

22nd: Fox with a long ball forward to SC Hadda. Under pressure, Hadda sneaks a shot through. Post! Hits the woodwork and comes clear. Should have finished that.

We seem to be setting the tone though...

29th: MR Peter Faulds controlling in the midfield. He finds Cooke dropping down into the hole to receive. Cooke with a nice turn on the ball. He sends a beautiful pass through to Rob Elmes who's found space in the box. Elmes shoots... Goal! Puts it past the keeper and into the bottom right corner of the net. 1-0

Elmes throws a wink and a shrug over to the sideline. Maybe the old man still has it? (Crazy visions of Rob Elmes leading us to glory this year. His seasoned maturity and experience bringing a level of distinguished gravitas to our game...)

33rd: Carrick's midfield brings the ball forward. Lazy high ball played to the edge of the area. It comes off of our DC McCarthy. Falls right at the feet of Carrick's SC Walker. He shoots... GK Luke Steele deflects but doesn't get enough of it as it comes off the inside of the post and into the goal. Bleh 1-1

(/End visions)

1-1 at the half.

56th: Another long buildup. We're moving the ball around well. A nice pass into the box from Cook to a streaking Peter Faulds from the wing... he's brought down. The referee looks over to his assistant... Penalty! DC Franklin Simek comes up, slots it home. 2-1

63rd: We make some mass substitutions. Strikers Hadda and Elmes stay on.

70th: Terrible back pass from DMC David Foy (not David Fox, I have a DMC named David Foy as well, a generally unhappy shite, who's always complaining about the fact that he's not any good), that finds its way right into the happy feet of Carrick's SC Walker again in space. He puts it past Steele. 2-2

73rd: A lot of tight passing around the box going on, nice possession and skill being shown by our backups. One of their defenders takes out MC Chris Clark's legs. The referee looks into his heart... Penalty! ML John Frain (not really a good player) puts it into the right corner of the net. 3-2

80th: Rob Elmes is signaling to the sideline. He's either calling for an oxygen tank or a difibrillator. It's unclear...

90th: Hadda with a breakaway, he's been pretty disappointing all day. He goes round the keeper to the right... runs out of space. Takes a weak shot with no angle. Held well by the keeper.

Final 3-2

Outshot them 19-5 and 7-3 on target, with 57% of possession. Stephen Cooke and Peter Faulds with ratings of 8.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-06-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #16
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

So we won, and that's a plus. But we've got some things we need to take care of. I'm now wondering if we need another defender. I'm not sure if McCarthy is up to being our second DC along with Simek. I'll have to rotate my more or less interchangeable alternatives in and see how they do. And I clearly need to pick up another striker. I'm so shaken by Rob Elmes's post-game exhaustion seizure that up front depth has become an immediate priority.

So much so that I up my offer for the Finnish Peter Lundberg to 5k and a 10% sell on. Hopefully we can wrap this up fairly quickly. I'm feeling like I might have to just bite the bullet and pay the 8k for him. I need to take care of this sooner rather than later. I can hope for somebody better on loan down the line. Or pick up a little spending money by selling Rob Elmes's body to science after the inevitable massive heart attack, but right now I need a solid guy to work into the rotation, and get up to fitness before the Conference season starts in about three weeks.

Hopefully the rest of this tour goes a little better, and I'm not counting on penalties for all my goals...
Old 08-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #17
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

7/19/05

MRLC Olof Hviden-Watson signs with Moor Green. He'll probably start on the left for us, and should be a big upgrade.

7/21/05

Ballymena Utd Friendly

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 8-7-8-8-6 | 94% | - | - | - | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 86% | - | - | - | | DL | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 88% | - | - | - | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Superb | 8-7-7-7-7 | 90% | - | - | - | | DC | Wnt | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 90% | - | - | - | | DMC | | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 10-8-7-7-7 | 84% | - | - | - | | MR | | Peter Faulds | M R | Superb | 7-7-7-7-8 | 83% | - | - | - | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Very Poor | - | 100% | - | - | - | | AMC | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Superb | 9-6-7-7-8 | 81% | - | - | - | | FC | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7 | 76% | - | - | - | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-6 | 76% | - | - | - | | S1 | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 8-7-7-6-6 | 98% | - | - | - | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-8-7-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 96% | - | - | - | | S5 | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 6-7-7-7-6 | 97% | - | - | - | | S6 | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S7 | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | S8 | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7 | 84% | - | - | - | | S9 | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S10 | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Poor | 7 | 97% | - | - | - | | S11 | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 6-7-6-7-6 | 97% | - | - | - | | S12 | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 8-7-6-7-7 | 82% | - | - | - | | - | Int | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 7-7-7-8-7 | 81% | - | - | - |

Kickoff

4th: Faulds moves out right with ball. Passes left to Cooke. Cooke turns forward, sends a beautiful ball to Hadda in the area. Shoots... over the bar.

32nd: Hviden-Watson with a nice pass for Cooke. Cooke brings the ball into the box, lays a pass off for Hadda. Hadda shoots... over the bar, again...

Half Time

Very uneventful so far. Nothing else really but a number of long shots, and not very good over the bar chances...

51st: Ballymena's Stephen Robinson runs with the ball, slips through the left side of the defense. Shot... saved! But deflected across toward the back side of the goal... where Ballymena's Sean Carson punches it into the back of the net. 0-1

68th: Ballymena moving the ball forward quickly through the midfield. Clarke slides the ball to Neill. He sends a long pass over the top to a streaking Sean Carson. Luke Steele comes running off his line... Carson sneaks it past him for his second of the game. 0-2

69th: We sub everyone out

And can't seem to really generate anything worthwhile.

2-0 loss

We outshoot them 9-7, but they dominate us 5-1 with shots on target.

We might have to make a few adjustments...

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-06-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #18
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

7/21/05

Erik Lund does us proud and scores a goal in Sweden U-19's 1-0 win over the Switzerald U-19's. He ends up with a match rating of 7.

7/22/05

Man Utd accepts our transfer offer for AMLC Kieran Richardson, this is pretty unexpected. I would be very surprised if Richardson had any interest in joining us.

Carlisle responds to my offer for forward Scott Carlisle with a 65k plus my DC Patrick McCarthy bid. This isn't going to happen.

MIFK get back to us. They want 8k for SC Peter Lundberg.

Nottm Forrest have countered my original offer for SC Adam Nowland with a 10k offer.

This puts us in an odd spot. I need another striker. I only have the funds for one of these guys, and they're pretty similar. Nowland is probably the better player. He's a little lower with the finishing, but has better pace and off the ball skills, and seems to be the more generally polished player. Their ages are basically equal, and I'm guessing there isn't going to be a significant difference in how much either of them has left to improve. I'm basically buying for what they can do right now anyway. The only thing that makes me hesitant about Nowland is his high yearly wage, and the fact that he's moving down multiple divisions. He's probably going to have either no interest, or want more money than I can give him.

I decide to accept both offers. And I'll figure out which one I'll finally follow through with when it comes time to confirm, if they both even get that far...

7/23/05

Chester City, a fellow Conference National club have offered a contract to the still-breathing Adam Birchall. I decide to offer another contract as well, just in case. And place a quiet hold on all operations to put him in a body bag...
Old 08-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #19
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Crusaders Friendly

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 7-8-8-6-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 86% | - | - | - | | DL | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 90% | - | - | - | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 90% | - | - | - | | DC | Wnt | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 7-8-7-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | MR | | Peter Faulds | M R | Superb | 7-7-7-8-7 | 87% | - | - | - | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Very Poor | 7 | 89% | - | - | - | | MC | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Superb | 6-7-7-8-7 | 84% | - | - | - | | MC | Wnt | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 8-7-7-7-7 | 86% | - | - | - | | FC | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7 | 76% | - | - | - | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 7-7-7-6-7 | 84% | - | - | - | | S1 | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-7-6-6-7 | 95% | - | - | - | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-8-7-7-7 | 99% | - | - | - | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 8-7-7-7-6 | 85% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | S5 | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-6-6 | 99% | - | - | - | | S6 | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S7 | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | S8 | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S9 | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 6-6-7-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S10 | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Poor | 7 | 98% | - | - | - | | S11 | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 7-6-7-6-7 | 96% | - | - | - | | S12 | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | - | Int | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 50% | - | - | - |

I feel like we were giving too much space in the middle of the field last game. And they had too much time to pick us apart. I decide to move away from our 41212 and back to a flat four in the midfield, and a more conventional 442.

Kickoff

3rd: Crusaders' David Bell comes forward... he chips to the far post... Crusaders' James Hughes beats DL Eckersley in the air. He powers a header... saved and held by Luke Steele.

19th: MR Peter Faulds runs by a defender with ball... still going into the box... he's bearing down on goal... Shoots! Saved, but it falls to Jakob Hadda... he can't miss... denied! A last ditch tackle and it goes out for corner.

32nd: Faulds again playing well from the wing. He puts a ball forward to Rob Elmes dropping deep. Elmes with a nice turn and skill to push it off to a breaking Stephen Cooke. Cooke comes on plays a ball in the air across to Olof Hviden-Watson just inside the area... he takes it in a volley... Goal! Ripped back to the other corner. Great stuff from Cooke and Watson. 1-0

36th: Faulds steps in front and intercepts. He plays it forward immediately to Rob Elmes. Elmes turns... sees Hadda on the break and plays a long ball forward... Hadda in stride, clear with the keeper... will he finish? He does! Top corner, woo! 2-0

Halftime

We're looking much better. And great to see Hadda just bury one, without trying to go round the keeper, or hesitate, or generally bollock things up.

48th: DMC Fox with a nice tackle at midfield. He plays the ball forward immediately to Hadda. Hadda free on goal again! He tries to go round the keeper... he runs out of space... plays a weak ball into the six-yard box... cleared by the defense.

Frustrating...

50th: We sub everyone out and basically shut it down.

Nothing too exciting happens from here out. A few over the bar shots from well outside the area from Crusaders, and we fail to convert a string of corners in the around the 75th minute.

Final: Win 2-0

We outshoot them 7-6, and 4-2 on target.

Luke Steele, James O'Connor, Olof Hviden-Watson, and David Fox are rated with 8's, everyone else 7's.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #20
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

7/25/05

AMLC Kieran Richardson doesn't believe I have the resources to meet his demands (and I don't really). But I offer him 50k/yr, a 950k release clause, and 15% a year increases for three years. Maybe we get lucky.

SC Peter Lundberg, Finnish everyman, says he has no interest in coming to Moor Green. (Kind of a problem, because I was counting on this moron to be the more likely to sign in the Nowland v. Lundberg equation.) I offer him 40k/yr for two years. He's currently making 4k/yr and freezing his balls off, hopefully this sparks some interest.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:44 PM   #21
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Later in the day...

SC Adam Nowland from Nott Forrest has some interest (nice!), but he wants 60k/yr (and I can only offer 50k). I offer the 50k for three years, and it's a close enough deal that I think he's pretty likely to sign. Good news that, but we'll count our chickens when they hatch.

7/26/05

Kieran Richardson snubs us. And isn't interested in negotiating. He says he's not prepared to play in a lower division and still feels he has a lot to learn before he moves on. I respect that. He's too good to be coming down to the Conference anyway, it would have been a bizarre coup to land him. But... maybe we'll keep trying.

Adam Birchall rejects us again as well. If he signs with another Conference club the hit will be on... until then, I'm just going to keep signing his email address up for mass goat porn spammings.

We have the last match of our Northern Ireland tour today...
Old 08-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #22
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Glentoran Seconds Friendly

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 8-8-6-7-8 | 100% | - | - | - | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-8 | 91% | - | - | - | | DL | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 92% | - | - | - | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 93% | - | - | - | | DC | Wnt | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 8-7-7-7-7 | 97% | - | - | - | | MR | | Peter Faulds | M R | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Very Poor | 7-8 | 94% | - | - | - | | MC | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 92% | - | - | - | | MC | Wnt | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-8 | 92% | - | - | - | | FC | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7-7 | 90% | - | - | - | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 7-7-6-7-7 | 93% | - | - | - | | S1 | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 8-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-7-7-6-7 | 90% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 95% | - | - | - | | S5 | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-7-6-6-8 | 98% | - | - | - | | S6 | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7-7 | 90% | - | - | - | | S7 | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | S8 | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S9 | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 6-7-7-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S10 | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Poor | 7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S11 | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 6-7-6-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | S12 | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 6-7-7-7-7 | 91% | - | - | - | | - | Int | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 73% | - | - | - |

Kickoff

14th: The moment we all feared... Rob Elmes collapses after a rough challenge. He's clutching his chest. He's having trouble breathing. He's not going to be able to continue.

There's an uncomfortable hush in the crowd as he's carried off. We bring in attacking midfielder Matty Hall to play upfront.

21st: Hadda takes a pass from Hviden-Watson in the right side of the box. He's got space! Blasts it... over the bar...

39th: Cooke sends the ball out to Faulds on the wing. He tries to skip past the defender but loses the ball... he recovers and fights back for possession. Slips a pass through to Matty Hall in space. Clinical, he buries it in the right side of the net! 1-0

44th: Hadda with the ball turning with space. He runs onto the defense... sneaks past a man... still moving forward... shoots... Goal! A great individual effort from Hadda. 2-0

Halftime

Still no word from the hospital about Rob Elmes... we fear the worst.

63rd: We bring on the reserves.

70th: Glentoran flicking it around in the midfield. A long ball forward... it falls to Glengoran's Peter Montgomery surrounded by Moors. He finds a way to deflect it into the net. 2-1

We put it into shutdown mode and close it off without much fanfare.

Final: Win 2-1

We outshoot them 12-9, and 5-2 on target. With 55% possession. Cooke, Fox, and Jakob Hadda score 8's, and David Fox is named Man of the Match.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-06-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #23
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

7/27/05

Peter Lundberg rejects my contract offer, but he wants to negotiate. He feels his ability could justify a more lucrative salary. Yet he's still playing for 4k/yr at the moment...

7/28/05

AM/FC Adam Nowland accepts our contract offer. Nice. I confirm the transfer. He'll come over immediately from Nottingham Forrest for a fee of 10k. I'm hoping he'll be the consistent threat upfront we're looking for.

7/29/05

We sign 18 year old MC Andrew Fisk on a free. He won't be more than a backup player, but he signed for 6k/yr, and seems to have enough skill to come on if necessary as a substitute. I'm hoping to have enough depth here to deal one of my stars if some kind of monster offer comes in.

7/30/05

Lundberg rejects our offer again. We can't afford the transfer fee anymore so this doesn't really matter. We wish him well with his life.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-06-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #24
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

AFC Wimbledon Friendly

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 8-6-7-8-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-8-8 | 95% | - | - | - | | DL | Wnt | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | DC | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Poor | 7-7 | 95% | - | - | - | | MR | | Peter Faulds | M R | Superb | 7-8-7-7-7 | 94% | - | - | - | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Very Poor | 7-8-7 | 95% | - | - | - | | MC | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Superb | 7-8-7-7-8 | 94% | - | - | - | | MC | Wnt | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-8-8 | 95% | - | - | - | | FC | | Adam Nowland | AM/F C | Very Poor | - | 100% | - | - | - | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-8 | 94% | - | - | - | | S1 | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 96% | - | - | - | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 99% | - | - | - | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-7-6-7-7 | 92% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 96% | - | - | - | | S5 | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-6-6-8-7 | 99% | - | - | - | | S6 | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7 | 90% | - | - | - | | S7 | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | S8 | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7 | 93% | - | - | - | | S9 | | Andrew Fisk | M C | Superb | - | 100% | - | - | - | | S10 | | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 7-8-7-7-5 | 91% | - | - | - | | S11 | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 93% | - | - | - | | S12 | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 94% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 93% | - | - | - | | - | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7-7-7 | 85% | - | - | - | | - | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 95% | - | - | - |

We make a few changes here, moving DC Patrick McCarthy to left back, and bringing Stuart Parnaby on to play the central defense with Franklin Simek. FC Adam Nowland also makes his Moors debut partnered in attack with Jakob Hadda. Erik Lund is back from international duty, but he starts on the bench for some relaxation time.

Kickoff

We're trading chances left and right until...

20th: Hviden-Watson with a freekick. He sends the ball out to the left. Patrick McCarthy in a forward position. He sends a long cross forward for Adam Nowland... Nowland with a touch under pressure... the keeper coming forward... Goal! What happened? The defender with a last ditch tackle put it into his own net. We'll take it! 1-0

37th: Parnaby and Simek are controlling everything at the back. Wimbledon has no space.

45th: Adam Nowland picks up a yellow for pulling a jersey.

Halftime

57th: Wimbledon pressuring. Dangerous cross from the wing... Steele goes up... punches it clear! Nice work from Steele.

60th: I bring a few subs on, but not the mass subbings of the prebious games. I'm trying to give most of these guys a full match.

69th: DR Culshaw with the throw to Peter Faulds. Faulds jinks down the wing, turns it in at the byline. He puts in a low cross throught the six-yard box... Hviden-Watson is there on the half-volley... Goal! Faulds made it! 2-0

83rd: Matty Hall is bringing the ball forward. He plays a one-two with Erik Lund. Hall has some space... lays it back to Lund... shot! Saved and held well.

We outshoot them 8-3, and 5-0 on target. David Fox is man of the match. A number of players earn 8's, including Patrick McCarthy playing out of position in the DL spot.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:09 AM   #25
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Good start to the dynasty. Quite entertaining. Keep up the good work, MP.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:11 AM   #26
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow
Ivory Coastman? Coastonian?
Rhetorical, I'm sure, but, if I'm not mistakent, I believe it's Ivorian. On account of the country name being "Cote D'Ivor" in French.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 10:53 AM   #27
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Good start to the dynasty. Quite entertaining. Keep up the good work, MP.

Thanks! I'm enjoying myself, glad you're liking it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Rhetorical, I'm sure, but, if I'm not mistakent, I believe it's Ivorian. On account of the country name being "Cote D'Ivor" in French.

Good call, I think it even says this in his player profile, not that I'd have the sense to look there...
Old 08-07-2005, 10:57 AM   #28
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

8/3/05

English Conference National Promotion Odds from Totalbet.com

York and Hereford are made joint favorites at 6-4. Halifax and Woking are right behind them at 7-4. Then there's Tamworth at 3-1. And Chester at 6-1.

We're listed at 33-1 for promotion. I guess not everyone is as optimistic as I am for this season. I still think we have the talent to do well at this level, and will have a great chance at promotion. We'll see...

8/7/05

We play a friendly with our reserves as a final tune-up before the Conference season starts up on the 13th. We win 5-0 with goals from Erik Lund, Peter Faulds, Stephen Cooke, and two from Adam Nowland. Stephen Cooke wins MOM with a 10 rating.

Chelsea beat Arsenal 3-0 in the Community Shield.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #29
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

8/9/05

We get tests back on the medical condition of Rob Elmes after his tragic collapse ten days ago. He has been in and out of consciousness, deeply mired in what the doctors are calling a "fatigue coma." It turns out he has a couple of bruised ribs and should be available for the start of the season.

Moor Green sign former Tottenham Hotspur Michael Malcolm on a free. The 19 year old SC should be able to step in ably if anyone goes down to injury. I'm actually surprised my scout stumbled upon him out on the market of released players. I remember him vaguely as one of the high value players listed for loan that would never accept a stint with the Moors last year. I might give him more than just the usual mopup time. Here's a profile...

8/10/05

We get a call late tonight.

Boo: "Hello?"

Caller: "I have some information that might interest you."

Boo: "I'm listening."

Caller: "A certain you know who is in talks with another club."

Boo: "Who?"

Caller: "Someone you've got an unhealthy amount of fascination with."

Boo: "This isn't really narrowing things down for me."

Caller: "We'll be in touch."

Click. They hang up.

The next day I read it in the paper... Boston Utd of League 2 have put in a contract offer to Adam Birchall. This is somewhat unsettling. More unsettling however... clearly our intelligence apparatus has been penetrated... someone knows more than they should about Moor Green's operations... someone got to someone... and someone wants me to know about it...
Old 08-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #30
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

8/13 at Carlisle (Conference National)

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 7-8-6-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 7-8-8-7-8 | 99% | - | - | - | | DL | | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-8-8 | 99% | - | - | - | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-8-8 | 99% | - | - | - | | DC | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Okay | 7-7-7-8 | 97% | - | - | - | | MR | | Peter Faulds | M R | Superb | 7-7-7-8-8 | 98% | - | - | - | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Very Poor | 7-8-7-7-9 | 94% | - | - | - | | MC | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Superb | 7-7-8-8-10 | 98% | - | - | - | | MC | Wnt | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 7-8-8-8-9 | 98% | - | - | - | | FC | | Adam Nowland | AM/F C | Poor | 7-9 | 95% | - | - | - | | FC | | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 7-7-5-7-8 | 96% | - | - | - | | S1 | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 6-7-7-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Andrew Fisk | M C | Superb | 7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S5 | | Michael Malcolm | S C | Superb | - | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-6-6-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7-7-7 | 98% | - | - | - | | - | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - |

Here we go. Start of the Conference season. On the road at Carlisle...

Kickoff

9th: Carlisle pressuring. Earn a couple of corners, passing the ball around in our half.

17th: Cross comes through... a powered header... held well by Steele.

20th: Simek with a trip just outside the area. Freekick to Carlise. Chris Lumsford running up... goal! A precision strike from outside the box. And Carlisle goes up 1-0

43rd: Fox with a nice ball into space for Cooke. He turns... blasts it over the bar. Should have done better.

Halftime

We don't look good... Stephen Cooke is exhausted for no apparent reason. We move Adam Nowland back into the midfield and bring recent signee Michael Malcolm on for Cooke and put him upfront.

58th: Moor Green corner. Lofted in from Malcolm... a header from O'Connor... put it just wide.

73rd: Hviden-Watson on a nice run. Plays a one-two with Nowland. Watson shoots... blistered wide. He's disappointed with that.

88th: DL McCarthy swings in a cross from deep. Peter Faulds is streaking onto the end of it... Jumps! Powered off of the crossbar... cleared from danger by the defense. We needed that one badly.

ET: Freekick to Carlisle. Simek outjumped for the ball.. it falls at the feet of Carlisle's Osborn... fires, deflected by Luke Steele. Trickling through the six yard box onto the foot of Carlisle's Stallard, he shoots... off the crossbar. But it falls back to Osborn who stops, checks the wind, buries it, to seal the game. Carlisle 2-0

Final: Loss 2-0

We're outshot 13-8, and a brutal 9-2 on target. Not a good start to the season. Although I am wondering if I might want to bring Adam Nowland into the role of my more attacking center mid. Michael Malcolm performed well off the bench, and the move would allow me to put Stephen Cooke out on the right side currently manned by our weakest player (at least ratings-wise) MR Peter Faulds. It's early, and we're on the road, but this was not what I was looking for from these guys. We might be closer to 33-1 than I thought.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #31
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

8/14/05

I'm looking through for possible loan opportunities. Or any quality players I might be able to bring in on a cheap transfer. Not gonna lie, I'm a little spooked and over-reacting to our opening season loss to Carlisle. And I'm realizing I'm not even following my own rules, you've got these loans, use them. So I'm trying to bring quality into my squad, no matter where. There seem to be a couple prospects, I'll post more if we get any bites.

8/15/05

Doncaster inquire about David Fox. I tell them he's not for sale.

8/19/05

Ipswich makes an offer of 50k plus a friendly for Stephen Cooke. I reject them obviously.

But neither of these offers makes me very comfortable. The last thing I can afford is for any of these guys to go into full on freak out mode about my rejecting offers for them. It seems like a guy hates you for years if a situation like that starts to develop itself.

They both seem fine for now, let's hope it stays that way.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #32
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

8/20/05 Home vs. Bury (Conference National)

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Good | 8-6-7-7-7 | 100% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Very Good | 8-8-7-8-7 | 99% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | DL | | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Good | 7-7-8-8-7 | 100% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Very Good | 7-7-8-8-7 | 100% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | DC | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Okay | 7-7-7-8-8 | 99% | 1 | - | 8.00 | | MR | | Peter Faulds | M R | Good | 7-7-8-8-7 | 99% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Very Poor | 8-7-7-9-7 | 96% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | MC | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Very Good | 7-8-8-10-7 | 98% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | MC | Wnt | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 8-8-8-9-8 | 98% | 1 | - | 8.00 | | FC | | Adam Nowland | AM/F C | Very Poor | 7-9-7 | 98% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | FC | | Erik Lund | F LC | Good | 7-5-7-8-7 | 98% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | S1 | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 6-7-7-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Andrew Fisk | M C | Superb | 7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S5 | | Michael Malcolm | S C | Good | 7 | 95% | 0 (1) | - | 7.00 | | - | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-6-6-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - |

I've got a super-fake optimism as I'm joking with the team before the game. I want them at ease. We're at home. We've got nothing to worry about. You guys own this team.

I make a last minute change and go with the idea I had after last match. Michael Malcolm comes on to start up front with Erik Lund. Adam Nowland comes back into the central midfield and Stephen Cooke goes out wide right to wreak havoc on the wing.

I'm muttering to myself as we clear the tunnel to the dull yawn of the collective 2052 fans.

Kickoff

17th: A cross floated in from the wing by Bury's Unsworth. Still drifting. Steele stumbling backward... tips it over the bar. Unsworth didn't mean it! That was too close.

28th: Fox comes forward. Crosses from the left... Malcolm on the end of it... saved! And held well.

32nd: Parnaby plays a ball down the left. Hviden-Watson takes it to the byline... crosses... Malcolm outjumps everyone in the middle... Goal! Malcolm with great work in the air! 1-0

36th: Fox plays a one-two with Cooke in the midfield. Fox with a searching ball onto the end of a run by Malcolm... he takes it with a half-volley! Saved! Brilliant save, and held well.

Halftime

We look good. I'm starting to be frustrated by Erik Lund's lack of involvement, he seems to disappear for long stretches of play.

52nd: Michael Malcolm does well to make space for himself. He's moving forward with the ball... past the defense... it's really opening up for him... Shoots! But leaves it wide, he does great before the finish.

72nd: I bring MC Adam Fisk on for a tiring Adam Nowland, who seemed to perform well in the midfield today.

84th: A couple of close chances from Bury. One tipped over the bar, and the other blazed over. Enough to make me nervous, but ultimately we weather the storm.

Final: Win 1-0

We outshoot them 10-7, and 5-2 on target. And control possession with a full quarter of the game spent with us in their third and on the ball. But I wish we could have converted another chance or two. A nice win, but not convincing enough to put me back at ease.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #33
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

8/21/05

SC Guy Bates is coming from Newcastle on loan. He looks like a player we can do a lot with. Unfortunately We'll have to see how things shake out in our attack over the next few weeks. He might not even make the reserve bench at the moment. But I'm much more comfortable with another striker on board now. It means Rob Elmes can be freed up to lounge around cracking jokes in the dugout, without leerily eyeing the prospect he might be thrown onto the pitch.

8/25/05

Hartlepool offer 75k and a friendly for Stephen Cooke. Sorry. This is a really significant amount of money for our team but I just don't see us as anything more than a clawing midtable team without Cooke around. No way we're selling him. Even if he goes whackjob on us and starts making demands.

8/26/05

Valencia beats Milan on penalties in the European Super Cup.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #34
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

8/27/05 at York (Conference National)

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 6-7-7-7-8 | 100% | 2 | - | 7.50 | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 8-7-8-7-7 | 100% | 2 | - | 7.00 | | DL | | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 7-8-8-7-7 | 100% | 2 | - | 7.00 | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Superb | 7-8-8-7-8 | 100% | 2 | - | 7.50 | | DC | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Good | 7-7-8-8-7 | 100% | 2 | - | 7.50 | | MR | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Superb | 8-8-10-7-8 | 99% | 2 | - | 7.50 | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Poor | 7-7-9-7-7 | 99% | 2 | - | 7.00 | | MC | | Adam Nowland | AM/F C | Good | 7-9-7-7 | 98% | 2 | - | 7.00 | | MC | Wnt | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 8-8-9-8-8 | 99% | 2 | - | 8.00 | | FC | | Michael Malcolm | S C | Superb | 7-8 | 93% | 1 (1) | 1 | 7.50 | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 6-7-7-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S1 | | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 5-7-8-7-7 | 98% | 2 | - | 7.00 | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Andrew Fisk | M C | Superb | 7-7 | 99% | 0 (1) | - | 7.00 | | S5 | Lst | Guy Bates | S C | Superb | - | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-6-6-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Faulds | M R | Good | 7-7-8-8-7 | 100% | 1 | - | 7.00 |

So here we are, safe to say this is where we'll really find out what our chances are for the season. On the road, visiting preseason promotion favorites York, we'll have a pretty good idea at the end of today just how far we are. I've already started to adjust my expectations for a long hard season and a goal of hanging in for a playoff spot, and hoping we catch a break or two. I've been in dire straits with teams and still found away to catch the playoffs, and I know we've got the talent to be there.

We start Jakob Hadda upfront along with Michael Malcolm, Erik Lund's disappearances for huge chunks of game aren't something we can afford today. I need somebody who's at least going to bring the effort.

Kickoff

6th: Nowland with a pass forward to Malcolm. Malcolm running with the ball. He chips left to Hadda... Hadda on the volley! Tipped over the bar, great save!

11th: Stephen Cooke picks up a yellow card and is furious. I hate it when he starts in with this furious shit, never ends well...

24th: A corner from Fox. O'Connor gets his head to it and lays it left for Nowland. He blasts it at the top corner... but curves horribly wide, a wasted chance.

34th: Cooke latches onto a brilliant ball from Malcolm. He's free in the area! Shoots... left it wide... should've done better.

Halftime

We look good. We're controlling things on their field, and have had a number of quality chances.

60th: Fox sends a ball down the left wing for Hviden-Watson. He's coming forward. Over to Hadda with a pass to feet... Hadda swivels, chips... Malcolm crashing the goal... diving header! Goal! Michael Malcolm with an acrobatic header powered home. Moor Green 1-0

78th: After a couple weak chances from York, but building pressure I make some subs. SW Paul Culshaw comes on for Jakob Hadda and settles in behind the defense in a sweeper role. I take our attacking metality down to normal (but I'd never recommend going down to defensive). Bringing the extra defender on and going with one striker up top has helped me close out leads before. But I've found it necessary to make that lone striker a fresh man... Erik Lund comes on for Michael Malcolm. I need ten good minutes from the lazy shite, come on Erik...

81st: O'Connor takes control of a loose ball in the defense. He plays it forward to Lund in space. Lund holding well out on the right wing. He sees a streaking David Fox making a break... a beautiful long ball forward... Fox on the end of it. Shoots! Buries it! Goal! Moor Green goes up 2-0

Woo!

83rd: I take Cooke off for Fisk as he's started in with his "furious" business again.

We outshoot them 14-9, and 5-1 on target. A big win, and we're all walking a little taller after a fairly decisive road victory against one of our biggest challengers for the title.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #35
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

8/27/05

The reclusive Ian Childs, chairman of the board, is very pleased by our 2-0 victory over York. Some say the old man has lost it completely, or that he's locked in a room somewhere on life support. Either way it's been years since anyone has seen him, so his cryptic personal message following our victory comes as somewhat of a surprise.

I am very pleased.

-Ian

In fact in a lot of ways I'm only assuming it has anything to do with our victory over York. He could be pleased about almost anything. But no matter what it is, we're flattered, thanks for sharing boss.

We've got a little layoff until our next league match...

8/29/05

Leeds hire Steve McClaren to be their new manager. This is one of the jobs I'd keep an eye on taking for myself someday, so I'll post otherwise meaningless Leeds updates from time to time. They're expected to win the Championship this season.

Olof Hviden-Watson is selected to the Conference Team of the Week.

8/31/05

We sign AMRC Grant Leadbitter on a free. He seems to be another backup midfielder who can give us some depth, much like MC Andrew Fisk. And he signs for 10k/yr so it's good value. I don't think he's the sort of player I'd like to see in the lineup regularly, but he's a big upgrade over what looked to be our right wing starter a few weeks ago, the scrappy but scrap-heaped Peter Faulds.

9/1/05

Franklin Simek comes in 3rd in the voting for the Conference Young Player of the Month Award.

9/9/05

Oldham offer 75k for Stephen Cooke. The offers are starting to come constantly, which is almost never a good thing...

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-08-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:56 PM   #36
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

9/10/05 Home vs. Hereford (Conference National)

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 7-7-7-8-7 | 100% | 3 | - | 7.33 | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 7-8-7-7-8 | 100% | 3 | - | 7.33 | | DL | | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 8-8-7-7-7 | 100% | 3 | - | 7.00 | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Superb | 8-8-7-8-8 | 100% | 3 | - | 7.67 | | DC | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Superb | 7-8-8-7-8 | 88% | 3 | - | 7.67 | | MR | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Superb | 8-10-7-8-8 | 100% | 3 | - | 7.67 | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Superb | 7-9-7-7-9 | 100% | 3 | - | 7.67 | | MC | | Adam Nowland | AM/F C | Superb | 7-9-7-7-7 | 100% | 3 | - | 7.00 | | MC | | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 8-9-8-8-7 | 100% | 3 | 1 | 7.67 | | FC | | Michael Malcolm | S C | Superb | 7-8-8 | 100% | 2 (1) | 2 | 7.67 | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 100% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | S1 | | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 7-8-7-7-7 | 100% | 2 (1) | - | 7.00 | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | 0 (1) | - | 7.00 | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Andrew Fisk | M C | Superb | 7-7-6 | 100% | 0 (2) | - | 6.50 | | S5 | Lst | Guy Bates | S C | Superb | - | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Grant Leadbitter | AM RC | Superb | - | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Faulds | M R | Very Good | 7-7-8-8-7 | 100% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | - | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-6-6-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - |

Hereford seems like an average side that I hope we can have some success against, especially at home.

Kickoff

6th: Knocking it around the park. Stephen Cooke threads one through to Hadda in the box. He turns... shoots... over the bar!

19th: We're controlling in their end. Hviden-Watson with the ball out left. He plays into the middle for Fox. Fox finds some space with a step to the right... blisters a bending shot from outside the area... off the post! And cleared behind.

37th: Stephen Cooke brings the ball through the right side of the midfield. He plays it inside to David Fox just outside of the box. Fox hesitates, thinks about having a go, but lays off brilliantly to an open Hviden-Watson with space in the left side of the box. He rips one cross corner... Goal! Great finish! Moor Green 1-0

44th: Hereford pressuring, passing patiently just outside our area. They sneak a ball inside to a striker... he turns... tripped by Simek! The referee points to the spot! Slotted home. 1-1

Halftime

We're having the better day, it's just not really all that much better. We're at home, and they're not a particularly strong side. We're not controlling things as I'd like.

65th: A little excitement. Ultimately another blazed over the bar from Jakob Hadda.

80th: I think about bringing a sub or two on, but end up sticking with the starters. Nobody seems to have the spark. A couple shots from well outside the area.

Final: Draw 1-1

Can't really be thrilled with this result. This is the sort of game we dominated last year. It seems like we're still trying to get our sea legs here. I thought we'd do better after the York win, maybe I should have stuck a friendly in the middle of that long layoff.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-08-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #37
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

9/15/05

Preston make a 50k bid for Stephen Cooke. Again, not a good thing that he's getting all this attention. Preston's in the Championship, it wasn't so much a problem when we were talking about League 2 clubs not all that more prestigious than ourselves... but teams 2 whole divisions above us? Players seem to get irritated when you're shooting down those kinds of offers.

I'm nervous that I might have to put some of our more "unconventional" staff members to work on ways we can make it clear to Stephen Cooke that it's in his best interests to stay with the club, should he have any doubts about that.

9/16/05

Rob Elmes comes in to speak with me for a while.

Rob: "Hey coach."

Boo: "Rob. How you feeling old timer? Looks your stamina's fallen even further out there. What are you at now? One? Zero?"

Rob: "Something like that."

Boo: "Well what can I help you with?"

Rob: "I've been thinking lately. Life after football and all that."

Boo: "Hmm, alright."

Rob: "And I been thinking maybe I oughta do a little coaching."

Boo: "Ok."

Rob: "And I been thinking maybe you could show me some things. You know tell me how your ideas work and all, why you're doing what you're doing. That sort of thing."

There's a quiet moment between us.

Boo: "I'll let you know Rob."
Old 08-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #38
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

9/17/05 at Forest Green (Conference National)

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Superb | 7-7-8-7-7 | 100% | 4 | - | 7.25 | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 8-7-7-8-7 | 99% | 4 | - | 7.25 | | DL | | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 8-7-7-7-7 | 100% | 4 | - | 7.00 | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Very Good | 8-7-8-8-7 | 100% | 4 | - | 7.50 | | DC | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Very Good | 8-8-7-8-8 | 100% | 4 | - | 7.75 | | MR | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Very Good | 10-7-8-8-7 | 99% | 4 | - | 7.50 | | ML | | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Superb | 9-7-7-9-7 | 99% | 4 | 1 | 7.50 | | MC | | Adam Nowland | AM/F C | Very Good | 9-7-7-7-8 | 99% | 4 | - | 7.25 | | MC | | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 9-8-8-7-7 | 99% | 4 | 1 | 7.50 | | FC | | Michael Malcolm | S C | Superb | 7-8-8-7 | 96% | 3 (1) | 2 | 7.50 | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 7-8-7-7-7 | 99% | 2 | - | 7.00 | | S1 | | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 7-8-7-7-7 | 100% | 2 (1) | - | 7.00 | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | 0 (1) | - | 7.00 | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Andrew Fisk | M C | Superb | 7-7-6 | 100% | 0 (2) | - | 6.50 | | S5 | Lst | Guy Bates | S C | Superb | - | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Inj | Grant Leadbitter | AM RC | Superb | - | 81% | - | - | - | | - | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Inj | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 83% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Faulds | M R | Very Good | 7-7-8-8-7 | 100% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | - | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-6-6-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - |

Michael Malcolm and Jakob Hadda starting upfront again. I'm still not fully comfortable with how we've been playing, but hopefully things will go well.

Kickoff

8th: Forest Green moving the ball around. Ashley Williams in front of goal, they find him with a pass... Goal! Forest Green take the lead. 0-1

36th: David Fox plays the ball forward to Michael Malcolm. Malcolm through the defense. He's taken down in the box! Penalty! Stephen Cooke with a blasted shot right through the middle. 1-1

42nd: Nowland plays a one-two with Fox in midfield. Nowland coming forward now, lays one left for Hviden-Watson. Watson dances past a defender... shoots! Goal! Great skill from Hviden-Watson! 2-1

44th: Forest Green trying to recover. Playing the ball in midfield. They ping a pass forward toward striker Paul Groves. Franklin Simek on the tackle... he miss plays it! Groves is clear on goal! Back of the net... Forest strikes back! 2-2

Halftime

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but hey, it ain't a nil-nil draw.

54th: Stephen Cooke moving down the wing. He sees Malcolm breaking. Hits him in stride... nylon baby!Michael Malcolm! 3-2

71st: Now from the left... Hviden-Watson making people look silly to the byline. He cuts inside... low cross... Jakob Hadda on the end of it! Goal! 4-2

72nd: I bring 3 subs on with the two goal lead. Guy Bates and Erik Lund come on up front for my strikers. And Adam Fisk comes on for Adam Nowland who's tired and has had a great game in the midfield. This one should be all but locked.

80th: And I should shut up... Forest Green strike back again. Not funny anymore... Mark Danks from just inside the area. 4-3

85th: Guy Bates dropped deep on the right wing. Holding the ball out wide. He sees Erik Lund on a run. A nice ball forward... Lund jinks a defender... shoots! Bottom right corner! Goal! I knew he was good for something... 5-3

88th: Forest pressuring for a consolation goal. They play a ball to feet for Mark Danks again just outside the area. He makes Franklin Simek look like a three-legged dog, and buries one in the top right corner. 5-4

90th: I hold my breath the rest of the way but we come out on top...

Final: Win 5-4

We outshoot them 19-12, and 11-4 on target. That's right they had 4 shots on target, and, you guessed it, 4 freaking goals. Not Luke Steele's finest hour and a half. He rates a 5. In fact my entire defense is a split of 5's and 6's.

Nowland and Hviden-Watson manage 9's in the midfield however, and Nowland is MOM despite (or maybe because of) coming off early. And both Hadda and Malcolm end up with 8's despite coming off in the 72nd as well. Stephen Cooke scored an 8 rounding out the impressive ratings in my attack, despite the dismal day at the back. I don't think I can handle these kinds of shootouts, a lot of fun, but not something we can sustain. Four goals allowed ain't gonna cut it. I tell Rob Elmes so when I'm sharing my ideas about what a bunch of bollocking retards we have in our backline.

He takes a number of fascinated notes.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #39
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

9/17/05

We set a new team record for high scoring game in the goal orgy that was the Green on Green, Moors v. Forest, shootout. I guess this is something to be proud of.

I have a question from the media:

Stephen Cooke is being labelled as one of the best young players of his generation. Do you believe that you will be able to stop the big clubs poaching him?

I've been in this spot before. There's really no good answer to the question. Plus Cooke's a good player and all but "one of the best young players of his generation"? He's a 22 year old playing in the Conference, and he's great, but he's not popping in two goals a game. So I'm tempted to say something, but there isn't a "you're a moron" option.

I decide to ignore it. Boo sort of shrugs his shoulders, half hard of hearing, half confused foreigner, and slowly slips away.

If possible I'd rather not deal with this. You either say he's not going and the player gets upset, or you say he is, and then well, he is, or if he isn't he'll end up pissed that he isn't, and that's no freaking good.

9/22/05

Olof Hviden-Watson, Adam Nowland, and Jakob Hadda were name to the Conference National Team of the Week.

Luke Steele is voted 1st in the running for Worthless Shitsack of the Week.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-10-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #40
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

9/24/05 Home v. Chester City

Code:
| Pkd | Inf | Name | Position | Morale | Form | Con | Apps | Gls | Av Rat | | GK | | Luke Steele | GK | Very Good | 7-8-7-7-5 | 100% | 5 | - | 6.80 | | DR | | James O'Connor | D RC | Superb | 7-7-8-7-6 | 100% | 5 | - | 7.00 | | DL | Wnt | Patrick McCarthy | D C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-6 | 100% | 5 | - | 6.80 | | DC | | Franklin Simek | D C | Very Poor | 7-8-8-7-5 | 100% | 5 | - | 7.00 | | DC | | Stuart Parnaby | D RC | Superb | 8-7-8-8-6 | 100% | 5 | - | 7.40 | | MR | | Grant Leadbitter | AM RC | Superb | - | 94% | - | - | - | | ML | Wnt | Stephen Cooke | AM RLC | Very Good | 7-8-8-7-8 | 99% | 5 | 1 | 7.60 | | MC | | Adam Nowland | AM/F C | Superb | 7-7-7-8-9 | 99% | 5 | - | 7.60 | | MC | | David Fox | DM C | Superb | 8-8-7-7-7 | 99% | 5 | 1 | 7.40 | | FC | | Michael Malcolm | S C | Superb | 7-8-8-7-8 | 99% | 4 (1) | 3 | 7.60 | | FC | | Jakob Hadda | S C | Superb | 8-7-7-7-8 | 100% | 3 | 1 | 7.33 | | S1 | | Erik Lund | F LC | Superb | 8-7-7-7-7 | 100% | 2 (2) | 1 | 7.00 | | S2 | | Paul Culshaw | SW/D RC | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | 0 (1) | - | 7.00 | | S3 | | Chris Clark | M C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | S4 | | Andrew Fisk | M C | Superb | 7-7-6-7 | 100% | 0 (3) | - | 6.67 | | S5 | Lst | Guy Bates | S C | Superb | 7 | 97% | 0 (1) | - | 7.00 | | - | Wnt | John Frain | D/M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | Matty Hall | AM RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Junior English | D RC | Superb | 7-6-6-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Faulds | M R | Very Good | 7-7-8-8-7 | 100% | 1 | - | 7.00 | | - | | Matt Harris | GK | Superb | 8-6-6 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | David Bridgwater | M L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Inj | Olof Hviden-Watson | M RLC | Superb | 7-7-9-7-9 | 79% | 5 | 2 | 7.80 | | - | Lmp | Richard Follett | D RL | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 81% | - | - | - | | - | | Guy Sanders | D C | Superb | 7-6-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Unh | David Foy | DM C | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | Lst | Rob Elmes | S C | Very Poor | 7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Adam Eckersley | D/DM L | Superb | 7-7-7-7-7 | 100% | - | - | - | | - | | Peter Ramage | D C | Superb | 7-6-6-8-7 | 100% | - | - | - |

A decent club, should be a solid matchup, but I'm expecting a win. We're at home, Hviden-Watson is hurt but everyone else is there.

Kickoff

17th: Fox whips in a corner. O'Connor crashing into the box... header! Over the bar.

32nd: Cooke with a long ball forward to Hadda. He holds it up and lets play develop. Hadda sees Malcolm streaking forward into space... a lovely ball! Malcolm shoots! Saved! And held well.

Halftime

There's nothing really happening. Very slow.

46th: Chester holding the ball in midfield. They ping a ball forward. Headed into space for striker Danny Cadamarteri. He buries it cross corner. And Chester lead. Geez, I liked nothing happening better. Chester 1-0

50th: A wasted corner from us.

61st: I'm frustrated as crap by our play up front. I bring both of them off and put Erik Lund and loanee Guy Bates on the pitch.

75th: Stephen Cooke running with the ball down the right. He plays a nice ball inside to Guy Bates. Bates with a step into the box... fires! Goal! Buried near post! And we're all tied up. 1-1

83rd: Maximum boredom ensues.

Final: Draw 1-1

We outshoot them 11-5, and 4-2 on target. And control possession fairly well, we just don't convert any of that into a win. The lack of attacking spark is starting to consistently frustrate.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-10-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #41
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

9/24/05

Same question from the media, as after last game. Stephen Cooke is one of the best young blah blah blahs. Apparently they're going to just keep asking me.

I say Stephen will definitely be staying. I check his happiness and he's reassured by my comments. Sweet! Phew.

9/26/05

David Fox, who was rated 10 and MOM last match by the way, is selected for the Conference National Team of the Week.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:21 AM   #42
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

I'm starting to get further ahead in my simming than I am in my posting, so there's going to be a kind of quick update here. One of those time-lapse photography sort of looks at the next month of Moor Green's season...

9/27/05

Win 2-1 v. Leigh RMI

We win but get some crappy news, Stephen Cooke will be out for a month with a fractured wrist. This is a difficult blow, as its his versatility that usually helps me to weather injuries. He'll be missed, but I think we'll be ok. As long as no one else goes down for a significant period while he's out, we'll be fine.

10/1/05

The board is delighted with our performance.

Bou is voted into third place for the Conference National Manager of the Month.
Adam Nowland named Player of the Month.
And David Fox is voted second for Young Player of the Month.

Draw at Accrington 0-0

An incredibly frustrating game. We get nothing going in attack, and I reach a kind of breaking point. I'm looking to make some tactical adjustments over the course of our two week layoff.

10/7/05

Ipswich make a 50k Stephen Cooke bid. I thought we already went through all this...

10/15/05

Looking back at stats from past games I see that the my defenders seem to not be completing passes nearly as well as I'd like. They seem to be giving the ball away too much, and this might be why I've seen a definite decline in the kind of dominant possession/performance from the team. I decide to move David Fox back into a DMC role to give the defense an easier outlet for passes.

Win Gravesend 1-0

Maybe that helped. We do seem to control the game at Gravesend, and they don't manage a single shot on goal.

I get this news item:

Moor Green's Ian Childs expressed the Board's delight at their win over rivals Gravesend.

However all but the most die-hard Moor Green fans expect this year's early form to peter out.

10/17/05

Liverpool sack Rafa Benitez

Olof Hviden-Watson selected to Conference National Team of the Week

10/18/05

Moor Green will play Wealdstone at their White Lion Stadium on 10/29 as part of the FA Cup's 4th Qualifying Round

Win 3-1 at home v. Burton

This one we definitely dominate with Burton managing only 2 shots the entire game. Of course their one on target found the net, but... that's for another day.

10/22/05

Win 2-1 at Halifax

Grant Leadbitter has flashed some solid performances filling in for Stephen Cooke, we might have to find a way to keep him playing with Cooke coming back relatively soon. And we again hold an opposing team to one shot on target, and two total shots. And this time on the road. We are looking very good. I'd still like to see some better finishing from us, but I'll have to continue tinkering on that front.

Childs is again delighted by our victory. And again we're informed of our impending petering.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-13-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:31 PM   #43
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

10/23/05

Erik Lund played the whole match in Sweden U-19's loss to Georgia 3-2, but will have every reason to be unhappy with his performance... scored a 5. I know he has the potential, but it's just not happening yet. I have to remind myself that he just turned 17 a few months ago, there's a lot of growth left.

10/24/05

Olie and Adam Nowland, named to the English Conference National Team of Week.

10/28/05

AMLC Kieran Richardson has agreed to come to us on loan for the rest of the season. The 21yr old Man U winger has a basic wage of 550k, thank God I won't be paying a dime of it. I'm not entirely sure where we'll put him, but he's too good to keep off of the field.

10/29/05

English FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round - at Wealdstone

Moor Green win 2-0

Grant Leadbitter in the 44th, on a freekick. And 90th, an own goal by Wealdstone with Lund pressuring. DC Stuart Parnaby MOM with 9 rating

11/1/05

We'll play fellow CN team Dag & Red at the Moorlands in FA Cup 1st Round.

Boo 3rd for Manager of Month

Olie Hviden-Watson Second for Player of Month.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #44
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

11/5/05

Weymouth's boss Bob Faulkner praises me ahead of our match today. I praise him also. And then he comes back over the top with more praise for me. What a sweetheart this Bob Faulkner is...

Conference National - Home v. Weymouth

We get two goals from Adam Nowland back upfront. And Kieran Richardson scores a 9 debuting and playing on the left wing for us, taking down MOM honors. Bob Faulkner and I praise each other at midfield after the game.

Interestingly enough the praise-fest before the game had PR impact on four of my players. David Fox, Stuart Parnaby, and Jakob Hadda were all inspired to want to play well in the big games for me. Whereas keeper Luke Steele found it all very unsettling, and questioned whether he could hold up under the pressure of important matches. It does make me nervous that my gk can't handle opposing coaches praising me, but as we don't have anyone other than a greyed out non-player on the roster who can play in goal it doesn't really matter. Honestly though... what a douche.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #45
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

11/8/05

Olie, Kieran Richarson, and Adam Nowland are named to the Team of the Week.

And today we face-off with top of the table Aldershot. They're four points clear of us at the moment, and it's starting to look like they are going to be the Nuneaton of the Conference National for us (the actual Nuneaton aren't doing so bad themselves, holding in 5th at the moment). But Aldershot look to be the dominant team that we are chasing all year, a team that forces us to win almost every game to stay in contention and makes draws feel like losses. The National is another one of those divisions where the winner is promoted right off, and second place has to fight through a four-team playoff, so it's crucial that we keep them within striking distance.

We're on the road. So I'm hoping for simply a draw. Four points is a manageable distance. The teams in back of us aren't too distant but it's clear already, at what is more or less a third of the season, that it will take some very difficult times for either of us to not at least make the playoff. So this becomes a battles for supremacy. And I've still got three players with PR effects from the previous game that want to dig deeper for the big games. (And a keeper who's wetting his bed at the moment...) But I'm optimistic we can stay close, and maybe steal something if we have to. Stephen Cooke has recovered from his injury, but he's severely lacking match fitness and is in no real condition to play so he'll watch from the side.

Conference National - Away v. Aldershot

It starts out slowly enough, and we don't do much other than trade a couple dangerous corners into halftime. The second half is going much the same way until I bring Erik Lund on for striker Michael Malcolm in the 67th minute. Why I keep going to Lund I'll never know, but I always think this might be the game he breaks out or something... and really I don't have many better options.

Lund comes on, and I'm telling you he seems to thrive off the bench instead of the hide and seek game he plays with the ball as a starter (and trust me, he's talented with this, the ball seldom finds him), and within minutes he's holding the ball out on the left, lets play develop, slips a great ball into Kieran Richardson, who lays it off for Nowland... and boom, goal Moor Green! We're up 1-0 in the 74th.

At which point I let the boys play for a few more minutes and then I knock our tempo down to a crawl, put mentality at normal, drop Nowland into an AMC position (and eventually bring him off for sweeper Paul Culshaw) and just grind the game out until the final whistle. Which sounds much better after it works than the palm-fingernailing tension of actually watching things play out.

Final: Win 1-0

We get great games out of our defense who were amazing at the back winning headers and making interceptions, allowing us to play our game and keep the field small and on their half. Kieran Richardson is again MOM this time from the central midfield position, I put Olie back out wide left as he didn't seem as involved as usual when playing in the middle last game. Overall a huge win for us. And we've got a leg up now in the title chase. Let's hope this loss sends Aldershot into some kind of talespin...

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-13-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #46
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

11/8/05

The board is pleased by the win. And our news item has upgraded (possibly, this might be a downgrade) to talk of the season being a marathon, and pundits believing we'll still finish in the bottom half of the table. But there is absolutely no mention of petering.

FA Cup 1st Round - Home v. Dag & Red

The grueling schedule of trying to play league and cup matches continues. I almost hope to lose sometimes at the lower levels when it comes to the cups because you simply don't have the squad size to deal with the extra matches. But at the same time, I need the money badly, and we'll be going all out for the win.

Dag is another Conf National squad, whom we've yet to play yet in the league, but whom are a fairly generous draw for us, and who we should beat at home.

Which we basically end up doing. We give up a goal in the 40th that should never have happened with an idiotic back pass hitting Simek in the face and falling onto the run of one of their strikers free on goal (and that's the most logical explanation I can give for what unfolded on the 2d). But we had been controlling things from the start and finally covert it into points in the 45th minute when MR Grant Leadbitter (still on for the not quite fit Stephen Cooke) is brought down in the box, and David Fox drills home the penalty.

And we score again in the 71st with sub Erik Lund finding Leadbitter again in the box with a nice crossfield pass, and this time Leadbitter buries it himself to put us up for good.

Final: Win 2-1

We're given a nice 18k for the win, and the board is again pleased.

We get some nice games as usual from our midfield. It's a little unsettling to see David Fox with only a 7, even after burying a freebie penalty goal. But it's also pleasantly difficult to see Grant Leadbitter as MOM with a 9 rating, if he ends up moving to the bench with the return of Stephen Cooke we'll at least know we've got a dependable reserve.

I was also experimenting with some things up front. And I was happy with how Erik Lund played coming off the bench in basically an FL position out wide at the top of our attack. He seemed comfortable out there, and assisted on our second goal. I've been having trouble to get any striker that plays in the more left central striker position to do anything this year. Maybe the answer is swinging them out wide to make space for my midfielders coming forward. I don't know, I'm not sold on this yet, and I'm wary of fixing something that ain't broke.

And I'm reminded of this as we get a news item telling us this is our longest run of unbeaten games ever, dating back to that first loss of the Conference season...

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-13-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #47
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

11/14/05

Franklin Simek and Kieran Richardson are named to the CN Team of the Week. Richardson has been great for us so far, and I'm glad he's an end of season loan and not just a 3 monther, these type of performances would be tough to replace down the stretch.

11/15/05

We find out we'll be playing Hereford in the FA Cup 2nd Round. This is another great draw for us. Hereford is a fellow CN team so I know we'll match them talent-wise, and the draw has us playing at the Moorlands. I will be expecting victory. And like I said... we need the freaking money, especially if we can hold form and find our way into League 2 next year. I will need some kind of transfer booty.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #48
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

11/19/05

Conference National - Home v. Tamworth

Tamworth is in 3rd right now, only two points behind us, so this is another big game for us to help establish some space at the top. Stephen Cooke is at 96% and I seriously consider putting him into the starting eleven, but with Grant Leadbitter's recent performances I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm starting to (just an eensy bit) wonder if I might want to try to move Cooke for as much cash as possible, but there's really no good reason to do it. I can definitely still use him this year, and he'd be worth much more if I sold him at the beginning of next year (assuming we find a way to win promotion) than he would be now. So even financially it wouldn't make sense.

But would it make sense... as an act of evil cruelty and backstabbing?

Perhaps.

And 17 minutes into the game I'm all tingly with the sensation of feeling super-smart as Grant Leadbitter nails one home off a pass from Michael Malcolm. This is why I can't take this guy out of the lineup, he's playing brilliantly.

As is the team. We dominate Tamworth like nobody's business. Kieran Richardson scores a great goal with a nice individual effort cutting through the midfield, defense, and keeper before popping it into the net in the 29th minute.

We're so cleary in control that I bring Stephen Cooke on for Michael Malcolm in the 54th minute to try and do some tactical experimenting for next match. I need to find a way to get all these guys on the pitch at the same time. I end up dropping Cooke into an AMC position and giving him a free role to roam the pitch and try to create something in attack.

I'd also started experimenting in the last match with giving Kieran Richardson a full arrow forward into the opposition's box, and we started the game that way today.

Whatever we were doing seemed to be working. Despite not scoring any more goals we create a flurry of chances and are just in another league for most of the second half. I take a look at our possession after the game and I'm really a little blown away.

We control possession for 63% of the match. And 32% of the game is played with us controlling in their third of the pitch. It's the kind of total dominance that doesn't come across in the 2-0 scoreline, and it gives me a lot of hope for what we're capable of. Granted this was at home, but still, against the third placed team in the league, it's nothing but a good sign for our side.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #49
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

11/19/05

Obviously Grant Leadbitter's 9 rating and MOM performance have basically cemented him in the starting lineup for the time being. I'm going to really look at some of our tactical options for the next match. Cooke is too good to ride the bench, as are any of my other midfielders. It looks like one of my many blase strikers are going to find more time to think about not scoring goals.

Aldershot falter, finding only a draw on the road at Carlisle. And we're top of the table!

A very nice sight, and especially nice considering we seem to be playing great football, and might be able to build a lead heading into the midpoint of the season. A few more slips from Aldershot, and with the talent we have we should be able to put a stranglehold on the competition.

Other news...

Portsmouth come in with a dizzying bid of 110k for DMC David Fox. It's not the sort of thing I was hoping to see, as I already seem to be thinking I can move someone and not pay too heavy a cost.

But Fox is our captain. And as much as the price would be a help to the club, it's basically a third of our income from last season, it just doesn't seem worth it. We're 33k to the good in our bank statements right now, and although we'll slowly bleed that away by the end of the year we're not in dire straits financially. And the 110k won't really let us do anything amazing like expand the stadium. So why do it?

And as much as I seem to have a stock of midfielders at the moment, it's not clear that anyone else can play Fox's crucial defensive role. Plus, I like the guy. He's one of the more endearing players on the team, great determination, has Moor Green listed as a favoured club, and has started learning basic French so that he can understand what the hell I'm swearing about on the sideline. There seem to be no good reasons to move him.

But I'm a maniac...

So I decide to wait the few days Portsmouth have given me to decide.

Last edited by MalcPow : 08-13-2005 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:02 PM   #50
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

11/22/05

Olie and Grant Leadbitter are named to the CN Team of the Week.

I wisely decide to reject Portsmouth's 110k bid for David Fox. But I can't speak of it without describing it as "Portsmouth's 110k bid," I'm that traumatized by the number.

11/26/05

Conference National - Away v. Canvey Island

We go on the road to Canvey Island, currently sitting in 18th place, and wary of relegation. This is a game we should win, but anything can happen on the road. They're certainly capable of giving us a shock. Another reason I didn't sell David Fox is that I truly feel his determination has a huge impact on our team playing hard at all times. We don't give up, and we don't have major letdowns. So I'm expecting us to play well.

And I decide to go with the tactical arrangement I experimented with at the end of last game. Here's a screenie:

We'll see how that goes. I'm basically giving Stephen Cooke free reign to do whatever he wants. There's no way I'll get less out of him than I've been getting from my second strikers.

The game starts slowly enough. Canvey is pressuring us pretty heavily for a good portion of the first half. But it turns into the Stephen Cooke show as he buries one on 37 minutes. We go into halftime just 1-0 up but I see Cooke and Kieran Richardson talking to each other in the locker room. There's a lot of nodding, and intricate hand-weaving motions. I leave them to it, and spend most of my time complaining to Franklin Simek about his poor passing. Simek is no longer the anchor I once viewed him as, and his partner Stuart Parnaby has played and looked vastly superior. Simek has me wondering whether or not I need to look seriously at another defender, even if not for now, but for next season. I thought he was at least L2 caliber, and now I'm not so sure.

We come out for the second half playing well. And Cooke and Richardson play some nifty one-two's around the box before Richardson drives one home in the 54th minute. Then they do it again in the 63rd. We're up 3-0 and it seems to absolutely devastate Canvey as they do really nothing the rest of the match. I bring some subs on to rest guys, especially David Fox who hasn't missed a match all season, and plays probably our most grueling position. It's only a matter of time before he's in need of rest and I'd like to prolong that as much as possible.

Overall we don't have near the dominance that we had in our last match, although 80% passing is pretty impressive. But we get a couple of magnificent individual performances from Cooke and Richardson with both scoring 10's and Cooke MOM with a goal and two assists. This match was basically a reminder of why Cooke needs to be on the pitch, and why there's no price at which he should leave the Moorlands. I'm happy with how we played, obviously, but we allowed a few too many, and some rather good, chances. We'll see how that plays out.