Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2022, 10:59 PM   #23101
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Parents are funny. We had a small family party for my daughters bday tonight. I was telling my dad and father in law we are going to redo our front porch. My dad tells me make sure I chose someone reputable.

I am 47 years old and have owned more houses than my father has yet he still feels the need to advise me on these things. It is really endearing.

choose someone that sucks just to spite him.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:09 PM   #23102
Critch
lolzcat

I was at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival today. How desperate would you have to be to "sleep with" a sheep? Even if you can get past the fact they're not very attractive, they absolutely stink.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #23103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I was at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival today. How desperate would you have to be to "sleep with" a sheep? Even if you can get past the fact they're not very attractive, they absolutely stink.

You're probably giving too much credit to the smell of some of the other options available to those who, uh, "partake"
Old 05-08-2022, 07:44 PM   #23104
21C
College Prospect

I know it might be a boomer v millennial thing but I don't get the love for sites like Discord and Reddit and the disdain for traditional forums (he says to fellow forum users).

I can't remember where it was but I have seen several users at Discord sites rag on traditional forums saying stuff like "I would rather gouge my eyes out than go to a forum."

I use Discord and Reddit and Slack but I prefer the layout and organization of forums. They seem easier to navigate and much easier to find old posts relevant to my needs.

I wanted to get an answer to a mod problem on Discord but it took me ages to track it down even after using the search option.

[/rant]
Old 05-09-2022, 07:19 AM   #23105
cuervo72
Head Coach

Probably ties into the "young people generally don't understand file folders/structures" idea. Just put everything in a big pile, no need to sort it out.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:30 AM   #23106
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I don't get that, either. I much prefer the forum structure. It is so much easier to follow the conversations and stay caught up.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:31 AM   #23107
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hate discord/reddit/etc...too busy for me. It is overwhelming.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #23108
molson
General Manager

I enjoy the super-customizability of reddit. Made possible by its absurd amount of users. There's a sub for everything. It's a great way to jump into a new hobby, or start learning about some part of the world you're traveling to, or get a new book suggested, or read about some obscure old TV show you're getting into, or get very specific home improvement project advice. Or less useful time-wasting stuff like videos of dumb drivers causing accidents (/r/idiotsincars), people breaking very expensive things (/r/thatlookedexpensive), hilariously bad building and product designs (/r/crappydesigns), and of course, the legendary Herman Cain awards.

Probably most useful is whenever I go anywhere I get a ton of city-specific advice for things to do and practical tips on the city subs. The sports subs are a great mix of old-school Sunday newspaper kind of content mixed with random memes and older videos and leading to discussion about the 1992 World Series or something. Reddit could easily replace every other website I use.

Last edited by molson : 05-09-2022 at 08:47 AM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #23109
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I don't get that, either. I much prefer the forum structure. It is so much easier to follow the conversations and stay caught up.

Twitter/reddit/discord are for people who enjoy the perception of having a discussion versus the actual hard work of actually having a conversation.

*though I agree with molson that reddit can be super helpful in finding very specific things.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:06 PM   #23110
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Probably ties into the "young people generally don't understand file folders/structures" idea. Just put everything in a big pile, no need to sort it out.

Isn't reddit far more of a file folders structure than traditional forums? Subreddits are basically folders.

I find myself spending far more time on Reddit than here. One of the reasons is the specific nature of subreddits. For instance, I try to talk MLS here, but no one cares, but I can go on the /r/MLS subreddit and discuss the league with thousands of others.

I feel I have fantastic discussion on reddit and certain subreddits can get very community feeling. So YMMV.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-09-2022 at 08:06 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #23111
GrantDawg

Sure, there are millions of more people to connect with on reddit than here. So, there are going to be subjects that you can have a discussion there that won't have enough people interested on here. That is not really what I was talking about, though. I was talking about the structure of the discussion. I like forum style better than reddit, and reddit better than Discord. I, too, use reddit all the time. But I enjoy topics that we get here way more than there. I wish our membership hadn't dropped so low.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-10-2022 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:54 AM   #23112
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like I should be able to freely ignore any work email that is TYPED IN ALL CAPS.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #23113
RainMaker
General Manager

I think Reddit sucks for the big stuff, but they have some insanely helpful smaller subreddits. Helped me build a computer, setup a Plex server, and got woodworking help.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #23114
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I feel like I should be able to freely ignore any work email that is TYPED IN ALL CAPS.

I do LOL....oops lol
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #23115
miami_fan
Coordinator

https://fortune.com/2022/05/06/walte...y-reneauxview/

84 years with the company and he is only a manager. Shocking lack of ambition.

Seriously though, I can't fathom 84 years in general much less going to work at the same place for that timeframe. I don't want to look too closely to see if it is a case that he can not afford to retire. If he is happy, I am happy.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #23116
BYU 14
Coordinator

That is seriously amazing and he sounds like a free spirit who has just lived in the moment his entire life, but my goodness, let that sink in. He started work there in 1938!! A year before Lou Gehrig's speech and the start of World War 2.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #23117
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

At my company, we have multiple people who have 40+ years with the company including 2 over 60 years. Company didn't have more than 40 or so employees before they brought us on to start a new business (and then we acquired a company a few months ago that effectively doubles that number).

Great family run organization that takes care of its employees.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #23118
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Besides mortar/cement, what's the best adhesive to stick one cinder block to another?
Old 05-11-2022, 06:29 PM   #23119
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think theres some sort of glue, but have never used it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:46 AM   #23120
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Besides mortar/cement, what's the best adhesive to stick one cinder block to another?

Several summers ago I had to build a small retaining wall to stop my back yard from washing away. I used an adhesive that fit in a caulk gun. Can't remember the exact product, there were several.

It was so easy to use, I built a couple of knee walls at the edge of our patio and used the adhesive to put a faux brick facing on the cinder blocks. It worked great, and I've had no issues in over 2 years.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:49 AM   #23121
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

https://www.biospace.com/article/res...die-from-sids/

Researchers find the cause of SIDS. This is tremendously good news that should lead to screenings and preventive therapies.
Old 05-13-2022, 10:07 AM   #23122
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Wow, that is huge news.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #23123
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I picked my 9 year old daughter up from school early for a dentist appointment. She likes to get breakfast at school, which is fine with me. It is free from the government grant and shes a pretty responsible eater. Tells me they had a sub and my daughter said she was drinking her milk and the sub told her she was being disrespectful and to put it down. Weird, and likely told one sided from my daughters perspective. She said she put it on the ground, and the sub told her to throw it away. This really annoyed me. Not only should a teacher not be telling kids to throw away perfectly good food, but that food is provided free because there are kids who come from low income families. That milk may well be the only calcium she gets today. Now we are fortunate to not be in that situation, but regardless, I thought it was a terrible thing to make her do.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:20 PM   #23124
Ksyrup

As I was driving to the store this afternoon, the thought popped into my mind that so many people are going to die today in the regular course of life, and like 95% of their family/friends are going to blame it on Friday the 13th.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #23125
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As I was driving to the store this afternoon, the thought popped into my mind that so many people are going to die today in the regular course of life, and like 95% of their family/friends are going to blame it on Friday the 13th.

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:43 AM   #23126
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m kinda annoyed there isn’t some thread on that Vicky White/Casey White jailbreak thing. Like people here can generally at least have a decent conversation on crazy shiz without people trying to diarrhea dump on the conver
Old 05-14-2022, 07:02 AM   #23127
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Researchers find the cause of SIDS. This is tremendously good news that should lead to screenings and preventive therapies.

I agree with you and flere. This is huge news.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:20 AM   #23128
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

The media loves a good sensationalized headline, so I won't fault the researchers for this being blown out of proportion.

-- the study cited is tiny -- 67 cases with 10 controls
-- the study itself didn't claim "a cause" but rather a possible testable marker for increased risk
-- previous studies have found other possible markers that might (or might not) be relevant
-- the abnormality noted was not entirely predictive, it appeared in other babies that had no health issues

Australian Sudden Infant Death Syndrome study a clue not conclusion
Old 05-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #23129
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Facebook Memories tell me that 8 years ago today my kid headed off to take his first ever AP exam.

How much distance is traveled in eight years? He's finishing off the last of about 10,000 words (paper-as-final-exam) on the finer points of the use of ballistic markings in criminal cases, which will wrap up year two of law school (if he ever finishes the damned thing)

To be honest, I'm not sure if that makes eight years a long time ago OR if it makes it a relative blink of the eye.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:44 AM   #23130
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I’m kinda annoyed there isn’t some thread on that Vicky White/Casey White jailbreak thing. Like people here can generally at least have a decent conversation on crazy shiz without people trying to diarrhea dump on the conver

I will definitely be watching that Netflix Documentary when they make it in 3-4 years.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #23131
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I just wish I had Casey White's game
Old 05-14-2022, 09:36 AM   #23132
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I just wish I had Casey White's game

Er, that's revealing a little too much.

Here's the plan. Save up some money. Come down to Asia. I am positive there will be some women that will give you consideration. Always marrying for love is a predominantly western (and recent) thing.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:50 AM   #23133
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

If I wanted an Asian prostitute I could just walk to the "Super Happy Top Relaxing" massage parlor across the street.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #23134
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
If I wanted an Asian prostitute I could just walk to the "Super Happy Top Relaxing" massage parlor across the street.

Er no, nothing to do with working ladies ... I guess I can see why you jumped to that conclusion but WTF ...

You really don't understand how powerful and appreciated your US passport is do you.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:10 PM   #23135
QuikSand
lolzcat

This was in a twitter discussion about the crypto crash, but felt like it had enough of a possible connection here I thought I'd share (and it's funny):

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:20 PM   #23136
Ironhead
College Prospect

Does anyone have any experience with rust removal/restoration of old metal items? My wife picked up an old antique salad chopper/food processor for the 1950s and asked me if I could get it in working order.

It looks like this:
403 Forbidden

So I have put all of the parts that would ever come in contact with food through a long vinegar bath and then put them through a pretty thorough combination of wire brushing and steel wool. There is definitely no rust left on them although the metal is still a bit discolored in places.

1) Am I going to poison us if we go on and use these? I guess something I am not sure on with this is just how pristine does the metal need to end up being in order to be safe?

2) It occurs to me that while they may seem fine now I don't know how they will hold up to use. If we start using them for actual kitchen purposes will they start to rust again rather quickly? Given that these would come into contact with food what, if anything, would I treat them with now to prevent them from rusting again?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:53 PM   #23137
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can only tell you about restoring old scissors.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #23138
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

Just went to the hardware store and turns out there's an adhesive made specifically for gluing landscape pavers to each other (which is what I'm doing).
Old 05-15-2022, 02:09 PM   #23139
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If crypto tanks, does this mean I'll actually be able to buy a new video card?
Old 05-15-2022, 04:36 PM   #23140
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pour lower sugar on me
Old 05-15-2022, 10:25 PM   #23141
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-
Everybody damp Rid
Old 05-15-2022, 10:41 PM   #23142
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

In total lunar eclipse now. Glad the skies are still relatively clear.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:45 AM   #23143
Ksyrup

I took the dogs out about 12:05am and was happy to see the total eclipse. We had a storm system move in about 2 hours later so it was lucky that the skies were still relatively clear.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:16 PM   #23144
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Allergy season has been ridiculous. I had no idea my head could hold so much phlegm.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:25 PM   #23145
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Allergy season has been ridiculous. I had no idea my head could hold so much phlegm.

I can hardly to cardio outside anymore it has gotten so bad in AZ and I never had issues until 5-6 years ago. Now, every time I run outside I can be assured of spending the rest of the day sneezing and leaking like a broken faucet.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:30 PM   #23146
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I literally had to use my washers and spray to get the pollen off my windshield so I could see
Old 05-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #23147
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I blast my brain with a Navage nasal douche machine and it works well imo.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:54 PM   #23148
Ksyrup

Speaking of Navage and douches, I can't stand the way the dude in the commercials says Navage.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:59 PM   #23149
GrantDawg

Of the many super annoying trends on social media, the "you have to get rid of one" thing is the most annoying. You know what? I don't have to get rid if one, Karen. I can keep them all if I want.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #23150
stevew
Hall Of Famer

“Tell me a you’re a Karen without saying you are?” Is an appropriate response