Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
wustin
College Prospect

8.3 sucks for SP

I haven't posted here in a while but I decided to play FOF8 again after a hiatus and noticed there was an update to 8.3.

I exclusively only play SP and this update has nerfed QBs/buffed DBs to hell. Scoring is down, QB completion percentage is down, can't throw long anymore. All of my old offensive playbooks that took me forever to create are useless with this update. It's like I'm playing 2003 NFL but with less running and more short passing.

Is there a way to go back to 8.2 or I do I have to start all over again for 8.3?

Last edited by wustin : 04-11-2020 at 07:56 AM.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

It is definitely an adjustment.

Whether we want "realism" or "challenge" is a longstanding and unresolved debate.

Along those lines, what set of outcomes do we want FOF to generate for us? All-pass offenses that can be counted on to put up 7,000 yards a season, where the defenses are simply unable to adjust? (That's more or less where we had gotten with 8.2, partially as a function of it sitting out there so long) Or do we model something else? Another specific era? Or just something else?

There's a strong argument that the days of 8.2 were more fun. Throwing for 9+ yards per attempt is really fun. It's not a realistic model of much of anything from the real NFL, which may or may not be important to us.

Anyway... it's still possible to post a pass-heavy offense that is really good. At various times, usually with the release of a brand new game, we have had to adjust to find those sweet spots. We're at such a vertex again, with 8.3, for better or for worse.

So, yes, if all you want is gaudy offense, this sucks for you. If you're like me kind of on autoplilot with FOF, it kinda sucks. And if you've been longing for a swing back in the pass/run pendulum, maybe it unsucks.

But yeah... it will take an investment to climb this hill, like all the others.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
triplykely
Mascot

Any tips on how to get pass numbers like that? I can get around 7.5-8 YPA up until about 600 attempts on a year
triplykely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

I have no such tips. Just sharing what I sense is the general sense of things. tzach is among the monsters who broke the 8.2 game with the damn-the-torpedos offense, and while some people continue to lament the all-pass offense's demise, he just churned out a really impressive season (with a ton of wins, not just yards) and zero designed run plays... against a MP league I can confirm is very competitive.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
triplykely
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I have no such tips. Just sharing what I sense is the general sense of things. tzach is among the monsters who broke the 8.2 game with the damn-the-torpedos offense, and while some people continue to lament the all-pass offense's demise, he just churned out a really impressive season (with a ton of wins, not just yards) and zero designed run plays... against a MP league I can confirm is very competitive.

Right on, didn't realize it was tzach not your team. I'm more than ok not throwing for 9000 yards but it'd be nice to have a QB finish their career with numbers that would get them in the real HOF. Given my limited testing, I thought I was at a bit of an impasse but those stats/wins are great for a pass heavy offense. Especially in a competitive environment.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
tzach
High School JV

i'd say a good start to building an efficient passing offense is to make sure that your main receivers have high route running and endurance -- let's say above 70 for those specific bars (these are WRs, TEs, and RBs for some people).
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Also remember to not overdo your game plan by throwing to only one specific player all the time. The game will punish you, not just a little bit, but heavily. It will make a 75-rated WR look pedestrian.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
wustin
College Prospect

I guess at least this will be a good opportunity for learning and trying to emulate the 2000 Ravens now.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #9
james17
n00b

My experience has been much the same. 8.2 was a quarterback feast. 8.3 is much more difficult but I'm starting to have success in my second 8.3 season by having a balanced offense. If you can mix in a running game you can have success. I did concentrate on having a 64 rating QB and all receivers at least in the 60's and 70's with high avoid drops ratings and high route running. Important to get open and hang on to the throw. I also think line play is much more realistic in 8.3 in that you have got to have at least a decent line and that means players at least in the 50's with really good pass blocking.

The thing I have a lot of trouble with is defense. Again I think you have to have balance with good pass rushers and good run stoppers. I haven't been able to assemble a good defense as yet (damn that salary cap ��).

Very hard to establish a great all-around team. Trade-offs abound.

That makes it very fun for me but I admit it can also be quite frustrating at times.

Last edited by james17 : 04-11-2020 at 03:39 PM.
james17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #10
triplykely
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
My experience has been much the same. 8.2 was a quarterback feast. 8.3 is much more difficult but I'm starting to have success in my second 8.3 season by having a balanced offense. If you can mix in a running game you can have success. I did concentrate on having a 64 rating QB and all receivers at least in the 60's and 70's with high avoid drops ratings and high route running. Important to get open and hang on to the throw. I also think line play is much more realistic in 8.3 in that you have got to have at least a decent line and that means players at least in the 50's with really good pass blocking.

The thing I have a lot of trouble with is defense. Again I think you have to have balance with good pass rushers and good run stoppers. I haven't been able to assemble a good defense as yet (damn that salary cap ��).

Very hard to establish a great all-around team. Trade-offs abound.

That makes it very fun for me but I admit it can also be quite frustrating at times.

That's what I've noticed. When I have about 53ish% passing I have the best efficiency, win %, and overall offensive #s (has a 28/32 QB throw over 70% with 27-3 TD/INTs and 3300ish yards) - however I can't seem to push past it much without a noticeable dropoff in completion %, YPA, and QB rating.

Tzach, any advise on route/combinations to use for specific down and distances?
Old 04-12-2020, 06:15 PM   #11
triplykely
Mascot

After messing around a good amount with playbooks, situational run/pass ratios, gameplans, and personnel I feel pretty good with what I've got going in the passing game. And consequently my ground game is killer with a very nice YPC using average RBs with good HR. Overall YPP is 7.1.

First season after first full off-season in SP - only 5 games in so far (5-0). Small sample size but its been consistent enough that pending a key injury should play out for a killer offensive season focusing on the pass.

If the numbers in the link above play out this rookie is set for a 419 of 582 (71.9%) for 4681 yards with 54 TDs and 3 INTs.

QB is 1.1 pick, 50/72 OVR with near max SR and 3DN, and near average or better for the other bars.

Cooper and Parker are high in RR and GD, same for Gesicki and Celek.

OL is focused on PB and all 50 or better OVR.

For the gameplan I load my ratio's and distances, Rex the targets, and tweak the redzone.

Last edited by triplykely : 04-12-2020 at 06:29 PM.