Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2022, 07:13 AM   #701
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Jesus I hope that man gets help. What a completely unnecessary tragedy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:43 AM   #702
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Baltimore proposal (teams have to decide on starting yardline) was the best.

These coaches get paid multi millions. They shouldn't be afraid of a little game theory.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:54 AM   #703
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Good stuff here.

++ I love it when Jim does a good numbers piece that really slices through the qualitative takes we see in the media.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:11 AM   #704
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The Baltimore proposal (teams have to decide on starting yardline) was the best.

These coaches get paid multi millions. They shouldn't be afraid of a little game theory.

There wouldn't be any game theory. There would be one yard line that everyone would pick, with slight variations based on the team.

I also think it's the least "football" solution of all.

My preference was to have Overtime just continue naturally from where regulation ended up and the first team to score wins. That way you're not leaving it up to a toss, but just the natural progression of the game. If the other team ties it with 30 seconds left, you can't just kneel it out to go to OT, because then you'll be punting from a bad position in OT.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #705
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
There wouldn't be any game theory. There would be one yard line that everyone would pick, with slight variations based on the team.

I also think it's the least "football" solution of all.

My preference was to have Overtime just continue naturally from where regulation ended up and the first team to score wins. That way you're not leaving it up to a toss, but just the natural progression of the game. If the other team ties it with 30 seconds left, you can't just kneel it out to go to OT, because then you'll be punting from a bad position in OT.

That'd be pretty cool, too.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:46 AM   #706
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, Dolphins fan to some degree... letting the dust settle, here's my thinking:

You can definitely construct a reasonable argument that the Dolphins are doing things exactly correctly right now. They have a new coach who promises to innovate on offense - so they go out and assemble pieces that seem like good fits to accompany that. Whether the contracts are perfect, maybe not, but all told bringing in Mostert/Edmunds and Cedric Wilson, plus keeping TE Gesicki, seem like reasonable "get ready for the new system" moves. They add two OL who look like major improvements over where they had, targeting a need. All that seemed reasonable.

And then, when the opportunity presented, they push in both draft picks and cap space to add a #1 target to the offense in Tyreek Hill. Now they are suddenly a "go for it now" team built around a young QB who might (possibly) be good enough to have them in that fortunate position of "good enough QB cheap so built it up around him while you can." I mean, if all they did was position themselves to be a passable offense that can run the ball and complement a well above average defense, most fans would have been okay with that, I think. This sets expectations higher, obviously.

I think that's pretty solid. Is it possible the Hill trade feels unwise after a couple years? Sure. But giving up picks 29 and 50 and some other fluff isn't the same thing as giving up a lottery-tier selection. Even if the Chiefs land someone nice at 1.29, it's not purely part of the trade.

I'm fairly excited for this season ahead.

I'm also aware that I, or anyone, could also find the downsides of the current situation, and easily articulate how the Dolphins simply are still not a title contender even with these moves, so why bother with them? And then you end up with a ton of cap commitment broken LT, a rapidly slowing speed WR, and a mediocre defensive lineman... and a gap in your progression of young players you have to build around. Yeah, can definitely play out that way.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:58 AM   #707
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

At a minimum, you have given Tua an offensive coach, and offensive line, and a top tier offensive weapon.

So if he still has that Tua ceiling after all that, then you know to go the Baker route and look elsewhere. But if he really is the guy we thought he was coming out of Alabama, then awesome.

Either way, the Dolphins needed to figure that out before they had to make a major $$ commitment to him, and this seems to be a pretty good way of doing it.
Old 03-30-2022, 12:20 PM   #708
QuikSand
lolzcat

Agreed. And if instead they decide they need to go ALL IN in another year or so, then fine you try to mortgage it to get Kyler Murray and try to cobble together an affordable roster for two years with him alongside Tyreek.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:25 PM   #709
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think if you win the toss in OT, you almost have to defer now, right? That way you know just how much you need to score to win or keep the game going.

SI

Since about 40% of overtimes under the existing system go more than two possessions, and that will increase slightly with this change, I think the advantage you get with that knowledge is less than the advantage of having the ball earlier. Teams with the third possession have a winning percentage of about 65%.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 03:13 PM   #710
RainMaker
General Manager

I still think the best way to do OT is to just continue the game until it is no longer tied. Why do we have to arbitrarily restart the game with an OT period?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:04 PM   #711
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Since about 40% of overtimes under the existing system go more than two possessions, and that will increase slightly with this change, I think the advantage you get with that knowledge is less than the advantage of having the ball earlier. Teams with the third possession have a winning percentage of about 65%.
It's an interesting choice. If you trust your offence, I'd prefer to know what scenario I'm working with. You are always in four down territory and that way you know if you need a FG or a TD to win. I don't think you ever really play for the tie, unless you end up down a FG and are say 4th and 10 from the 30-yard-line. Otherwise, I think the better option is to always go for it on 4th down. Furthermore, if you give up a TD, you should invariably almost always go for two rather than give the ball back.

Because you have the second possession, you have perfect information in terms of what you need to do to win and a route to do it. The only way that doesn't happen is if the team that scores first goes for two. But very few head coaches would have the balls to do that.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:24 PM   #712
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Bruce Arians just announced he is retiring. Todd Bowles is being named the new Head Coach for the Buccs

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:32 PM   #713
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Bruce Arians just announced he is retiring. Todd Bowles is being named the new Head Coach for the Buccs

I will always remember how Bruce took over for the Colts when Chuck Pagano got sick.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:37 AM   #714
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not really buying the stuff coming out of One Buccaneer Place re: the head coaching change.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #715
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Putting two and two together, I suppose the faux retirement was a power play to get Arians to leave? And then they gave it a short period of breathing room between unretirement and Arians leaving so it didn't look completely obvious? It's been reported that Brady knew Arians was leaving before he unretired and that makes sense, especially if he was the reason for Arians retiring!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:39 AM   #716
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Feels like one of those things where the various stories don't really contradict each other.

It seems like Brady and Arians didn't like each other.
And it seems like Arians sincerely wanted to leave Bowles in a position to succeed.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:02 AM   #717
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Beat writers have a better understanding of their teams than national media. Kind of a neat idea to bring them together for a mock:

NFL beat writer mock draft 2022 - YouTube
Old 04-02-2022, 06:38 PM   #718
Izulde
Head Coach

Parker and a 5th rounder traded from Dolphins to Patriots for a 3rd rounder. Feels like they sold him low, though that does clear some salary off the books for a guy who was injured a lot last year.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:39 PM   #719
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think that price for Parker could prove to be cheap. He's an effective player in the right setup, but he's not well suited for what they seemingly want to do with/around Tua. NE might benefit from having a genuine contested catch guy like that to complement the pieces they do have.
Old 04-02-2022, 08:07 PM   #720
molson
General Manager

Parker's basically replacing N'Keal Harry, so that's a big upgrade.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:19 PM   #721
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Putting two and two together, I suppose the faux retirement was a power play to get Arians to leave? And then they gave it a short period of breathing room between unretirement and Arians leaving so it didn't look completely obvious? It's been reported that Brady knew Arians was leaving before he unretired and that makes sense, especially if he was the reason for Arians retiring!

I don't think Brady would have needed to use a "power play" like this though. If he said he didn't want Arians back, Arians wouldn't be back.

Of course it is possible but I just can't seem him messing around with his teasing retirement to get a new coach.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:32 AM   #722
GrantDawg

I agree jbergey. I think Tampa would have done anything to keep Brady, and he wouldn't have to make any threat to get rid of Arians if be wanted him gone.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #723
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

NFL: Commanders alleged to have hidden ticket revenue, per report

If this is true then I would have to imagine it may be the end of Dan Snyder.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:01 PM   #724
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can't believe this guy would hide ticket revenue

Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder's amusing failure at Six Flags.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:25 PM   #725
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I was on Twitter looking at links to hype videos of some prospects. And I was highly amused to see fans tagging their teams in the comments in a “hey, New York Jets, look at this guy“ way. I just love the idea that some NFL team has no idea about a potential third round prospect until the social media intern sees the tag to a hype video on Twitter.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:05 PM   #726
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

How the hell is Sam Darnold still only 24 years old?
Old 04-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #727
GrantDawg

Quote:
How the hell is Sam Darnold still only 24 years old?
They write these guys off so fast. At least one of the recent "bust" quarterbacks are going to have a comeback season in the near future. The trick is predicting whom it will be.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:08 PM   #728
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Saints giving up 18 and a future 2023 #1 and 2024 #2 and other stuff(101/237)for 16/19/194(Eagles)

Seems risky. The saints suck on paper

Last edited by stevew : 04-04-2022 at 03:08 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:12 PM   #729
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a Saints fan, I agree this seems SUPER risky.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #730
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Kind of feels like it is step one of a plan. Like they will package those two firsts to go up and grab . . . someone, I guess.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:19 PM   #731
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Eagles's GM seems know to his wheeling and dealing.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #732
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don’t see anyone worth putting that package together for other than Willis. Risky is an understatement.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #733
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don’t really love this for either side. So maybe it’s fair?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #734
QuikSand
lolzcat

I get this from the Eagles' p.o.v. totally, not from the Saints'. Do this maybe when the pick is on the clock and you know you get the exact guy you really want... maybe I get it then. Not now, though. This is a bad draft.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:33 PM   #735
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think it's so important to maximize the rookie QB contract, and I don't like Philly pushing picks to future years.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:38 PM   #736
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think it's so important to maximize the rookie QB contract, and I don't like Philly pushing picks to future years.

Philly doesn't agree that they are in the good-QB-on-rookie-contract window... instead, they're setting up to be
Old 04-04-2022, 08:59 PM   #737
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They're in this weird middle ground where they aren't going to get anyone better though. They have the draft picks this year to have made a move for QB and they aren't going to be bad enough to get a sure thing next year. It sure looks to me like they are trying to win and if that's true they need to maximize what they can do on the rookie contract.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:13 PM   #738
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I get this from the Eagles' p.o.v. totally, not from the Saints'. Do this maybe when the pick is on the clock and you know you get the exact guy you really want... maybe I get it then. Not now, though. This is a bad draft.

I agree that I do not like this for the Saints. When you have a new coach and Jameis Winston as your QB, you cannot be dealing future first rounders like its the Brees/Payton years. That could be a top-five pick next year.

That said, here's my best read on the situation:

The Eagles did not want to go into the draft with three first rounders. So I suspect that they told teams that were interested that the deal had to happen now and not on draft night.

So why the Saints? After years of laughing at the salary cap while they chased another ring, the Saints have gone on record saying that they are going to start being more fiscally responsible. So I suspect that they set prices going into free agency and, as a result, they have lost some guys and have not been buyers themselves.

So they then looked at their offseason blueprint and realized (correctly) that they still have multiple major holes on the team. And, having not filled those holes in FA, you either need to trade for players or high picks. And, being up against the cap, rookies are cheaper than trading for vets.

As noted above, I disagree. If you are trading for rookies b/c you have holes to fill, then you are really taking a chance by giving up those future firsts.

At least the draft will be more fun to watch for me :-)
Old 04-05-2022, 09:59 AM   #739
Swaggs
Coordinator

I've been seeing a few mocks with the Steelers going with Desmond Ridder, either with their first (at #20) or trading back up into the end of the first.

I would be pretty upset with that at #20, given the consensus is that Pickett and Willis seem to be the only first round talents. I'd be a little better if he falls into the second round and becomes an option there. The Steelers seem to telegraph their first round picks sometimes (Harris last year, Watt, Pouncey, and Heath Miller are examples I can remember in the last 15-20 years), despite them being later in the round. I really feel like they should be in BPA mode in the first two rounds and I'd love to see them have a shot at Jameson Williams if he slides (which I've seen in mocks more recently).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #740
QuikSand
lolzcat

It's possible that this move by the Saints lands them two guys toward the bottom of a "tier" at two need positions, OT and WR. And if that was the goal of this trade.... that they like guys like WR Olave/Williams and OT Penning/Reimann, and they felt strongly they need quality youth at both those positions right away, and had no way to do it short of two picks in at least the middle of the 1st... then I guess I don't hate that.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #741
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I've been seeing a few mocks with the Steelers going with Desmond Ridder, either with their first (at #20) or trading back up into the end of the first.

I would be pretty upset with that at #20, given the consensus is that Pickett and Willis seem to be the only first round talents. I'd be a little better if he falls into the second round and becomes an option there. The Steelers seem to telegraph their first round picks sometimes (Harris last year, Watt, Pouncey, and Heath Miller are examples I can remember in the last 15-20 years), despite them being later in the round. I really feel like they should be in BPA mode in the first two rounds and I'd love to see them have a shot at Jameson Williams if he slides (which I've seen in mocks more recently).

Nate Tice on the Athletic Football Show had Ridder as his #1 and the only guy he’d consider in the first round.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #742
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of the saints, whatever happened with Kamara? I see it’s pushed back until late April, but we’re crossing him off at least 1/4 of this season and likely the rest of his career, right?
Old 04-05-2022, 12:48 PM   #743
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Nate Tice on the Athletic Football Show had Ridder as his #1 and the only guy he’d consider in the first round.

That's the only qb I even sorta like in this draft.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #744
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Speaking of the saints, whatever happened with Kamara? I see it’s pushed back until late April, but we’re crossing him off at least 1/4 of this season and likely the rest of his career, right?

a few weeks seems like the working assumption - he's still going in dynasty league drafts in line with that
Old 04-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #745
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's possible that this move by the Saints lands them two guys toward the bottom of a "tier" at two need positions, OT and WR. And if that was the goal of this trade.... that they like guys like WR Olave/Williams and OT Penning/Reimann, and they felt strongly they need quality youth at both those positions right away, and had no way to do it short of two picks in at least the middle of the 1st... then I guess I don't hate that.

I’m betting they bundle the picks and trade up to 4 or 5 to take a QB. Seemed like my first thought that day.
Old 04-05-2022, 12:55 PM   #746
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I’m betting they bundle the picks and trade up to 4 or 5 to take a QB. Seemed like my first thought that day.

That was my first thought too, and if so I don't like it... I like the "get top guys at hard-to-fill positions now" angle much better. No idea what he actual plan is, though.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #747
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I still dislike doing it pre-draft instead of on the clock... maybe Philly had other offers, but that Saints 2023 1st for 16 essentially is a pretty juicy trade forward opportunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
They're in this weird middle ground where they aren't going to get anyone better though. They have the draft picks this year to have made a move for QB and they aren't going to be bad enough to get a sure thing next year. It sure looks to me like they are trying to win and if that's true they need to maximize what they can do on the rookie contract.
Looks more like the Eagles are getting one more season to evaluate if Hurts is their guy, while also potentially lining up the assets to move up in next year's draft which could (/should) have multiple guys better regarded than #1 in this draft (or go for a guy like Kyler maybe). I agree the Eagles are pretty unlikely to have their own pick be top 10, but there's a decent chance the Saints will be, and the most likely scenario is 2 picks in the teens again like they just had.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:57 PM   #748
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Looks more like the Eagles are getting one more season to evaluate if Hurts is their guy, while also potentially lining up the assets to move up in next year's draft which could (/should) have multiple guys better regarded than #1 in this draft (or go for a guy like Kyler maybe). I agree the Eagles are pretty unlikely to have their own pick be top 10, but there's a decent chance the Saints will be, and the most likely scenario is 2 picks in the teens again like they just had.

Yes on this, though I feel the Eagles are sold that they have a tread water guy, not a go win guy, and that Hurts is just another fungible asset - and I agree on that. So keep building, flip Hurts when you can/should, and build to suit. Preferably in a top-heavy draft where maybe you have a choice pick or alternatively you have the ammo go go get one.

Overall, if you buy the "Hurts is mister right now, not mister right" theory, I love what they are doing overall.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:02 PM   #749
QuikSand
lolzcat

Charles Davis 2022 NFL mock draft 1.0: Malik Willis to Panthers; Lions finish Round 1 with Matt Corral

Nobody's mock matters

This one has UGA's DE Travon Walker at 1.1, despite... and I'm serious here... pretty damned unflattering college stats. Great combine, super. Could you, you know, actually do anything with that? He might be the ultimate test of this, as he drifts into the consensus 1-4 picks. Wow.

Also, dropping? S Kyle Hamilton, once thought of as pick 3-6... here 1.11? OR Cross slides to pick 13?

And Tyler Linderbaum at... 31? I know, a pure center, but... 31??? A month ago the fun game was ho high could he go? 10? 8? 6? Now being regularly mocked in the bottom third of round one because of flashy 40 times and whatnot. Wow. Maybe someone gets a great bargain there, I think the guy is great and a decade-long stalwart for your team. Go ahead, fall for the slippery edge rusher, cool cool, someone else gets the HOF pivot guy.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:16 PM   #750
GrantDawg

The funny thing is, as good as Walker or Wyatt or Davis are this year...Jalen Carter coming out next year might be better.