Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #201
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I am at 22/34 still. I hear footsteps coming down the corridor. I can check out the tapestries, open the doors and enter, or stand and fight. I was told there was a secret door behind the tapestries so I check them out. I find a small hidden button and press it an begin moving down an odd tube-shaped corridor. 50 fifty later I arrive at a door. Keep going or grab the door? I grab the door.

Inside is a room where I find my weapons! I also find a Platinum Amulet and put it own. I also find a Laumspur so concentrated that one dose heals 8 EP. I toss it in my backpack. I go along the shiny tube.

The steel plates of the tunnel quickly become very hot as I move along them. Do I have Nexus? The Platinum Amulet? Or Nothing. I manage the scorching heat with my amulet, and the heat begins to die down. I press on and find a small set of steps, and come out behind a throne. The back of Lord Zahda’s throne, with a Doomstone and Lorestone hovering above. Three options ,attack the Doomstone, grab the Lorestone, or fight Zahda. I swallow the Alether berries, enough Laumspur to restore me to full and choose to attack.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #202
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

A howling blue fire leaps from Zahda's staff and instinctively you hurl yourself to the floor to evade its searing heat. The bolt screams past into the darkness of the hall, where it explodes in a splash of vivid sparks.

Zahda screams with anger and frustration and attempts to crush your head with one vicious blow, but you save yourself by rolling aside, and the staff cleaves open the black iron floor. A gout of flame rises from the split and blisters the mad lord's hand; he shrieks like a wounded crow, and the staff drops from his fire-blackened fingers.

You see your chance to attack and lash out, but Zahda is quick to react. He leaps backwards, unsheathing a glowing dagger as he steadies himself on the brink of the abyss. Lord Zahda is immune to Mindblast but not Psi-surge.

Lord Zahda, CS 25, EP 45

I am at +1 vs. Zahda due to the Alether Berries. I roll a 1, 2, 8 and 5. Zahda has taken 28 and me 12. I roll a 4, 2, and 8. Zahda dies and I took a total of 20.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #203
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Lord Zahda shrieks an unearthly howl as your killing blow rips open his black heart. He thrusts a pleading, claw-like hand towards the roof and drops heavily to his knees, his dying curse lost as blood fills his throat. His left eye gleams brightly for a second then suddenly dies, like a candle flaring in a storm before it is extinguished by the rain. He sways and falls from the pinnacle to be devoured by the hungry flames of the pit.

Hurrying over to the throne, you draw back your weapon and strike the black crystal with a mighty blow. It splits clean in two, releasing its dark power and showering you with hot sparks in the wake of its destruction. The riven fragments hurtle into the fiery abyss, and the flames grow deadly quiet.

From the depths of the pit, a terrible roar begins to grow. The pinnacle shakes and a column of flame lights the entire throne-hall as molten lava spews high into the air.

In order to prevent the bad weapons from being used again, I grab the Doomstaff and Glowing Dagger and since they are likely magical, they probably count as special items.

Old 11-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #204
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You search the gleaming throne and the dais of black iron rock upon which it rests and discover a pentacle carved deep into the gold. As you trace its design with your finger, a sound grows above the din of destruction--a sound like the tinkling of a thousand tiny bells. In the blackness above the throne, a speckled glow appears. Slowly it descends towards you until a large section of the dais is engulfed by a column of shimmering blue light.

You reach up and a wave of energy surges through your body as you close your hand around the Lorestone of Herdos (restore your ENDURANCE points score to its original total). Your senses tingle and a newfound strength wipes away the fatigue of your terrible ordeal, enabling you to assess the situation anew.

The column of light is a magical transporter, a beam in which gravity has been reduced almost to zero. By entering it you will be drawn towards the surface level of Kazan-Oud.

Without hesitation you pocket the Lorestone and step into the magical beam.

Chunks of stone and iron are blasted into the upper reaches of the throne-hall by the increasing power of the eruptions. Boulders, some the size of horses, seem to tumble in slow motion all around the beam as you are drawn irresistibly nearer to the roof. Suddenly the beam fades and you find yourself standing on a circular plinth in the centre of a ruined temple near to the gatehouse of the castle keep. The glare of daylight blinds you, but as you gradually become accustomed to it you cast your eyes over the shimmering waters of Lake Khor to the town of Herdos, perched on the horizon. The walls of the fortress are beginning to crack and slant. Buildings are crumbling, and the ground is alive with constant vibration. You run through the ruined main gate as bolts of lightning are drawn from the sky by the dying power of Kazan-Oud.

At the top of a ruined staircase you stare down at the lake far below.

(Stone jetty, beach, dive off a cliff)

Old 11-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #205
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You are forced to cut a path through the horde of creatures that huddle on the steps leading to the jetty. Creatures are crawling out of the ground itself; everywhere you look black slimy hands are bursting through the surface, squeezing their way free from Kazan-Oud through the scores of fissures opening up in the sheer rock wall.

Near to the base of the steps, you are dragged to the ground by a clutch of loathsome slaves. They pay dearly for their mistake but not before your Backpack is torn from your shoulders (erase your Backpack and all that it contained from your Action Chart).

When you reach the jetty you are covered from head to toe in the blood of your foes. The sight is so frightening that all resistance melts away, and creatures hurl themselves into the lake rather than face the fearsome straight-backed, white-skinned killer of their kin. Beneath the jetty steps you discover an arch, sealed off at one end and with a weed-encrusted stone door at the other. Inside is a small wicker coracle and a paddle.

Having fought off the most determined of Kazan-Oud's horrors, you launch the coracle, jump aboard and paddle frantically towards the distant glimmer of the power-shield. The deafening death-cry of Kazan-Oud echoes in your ears.

As soon as you have passed through the power-shield, you are greeted like a hero by a huge flotilla of fishing vessels and trading barges. An hour ago, upon seeing the eruption of Kazan-Oud, every boat in Herdos set sail for the shield, for the eruption signalled the end of the bane that had haunted Dessi for hundreds of years. Now they cheer the Sommlending warrior who has delivered them from Dessi's evil shadow. Eager hands pull you aboard Lord Ardan's caravel, and a fanfare salute is sounded by the trumpeters of his Vakeros guards.

'We are forever in your debt, Lone Wolf,' says Lord Ardan, as he shakes your hand warmly in gratitude and friendship. 'You have achieved what we feared to be impossible, and you live to tell the tale. Your bravery is an inspiration to us all.' His words are reinforced by the delirious cheers of his people. He asks of your own quest, and, when you remove the Lorestone of Herdos from the pocket of your tattered and scorched tunic, his eyes widen with amazement.

He bows his head and says in a solemn and respectful voice, 'My lord, you stand upon the threshold of greatness. Your purpose and your destiny are known to the Elder Magi, for we have awaited your coming for many thousands of years. Our survival and the survival of all we cherish rests on the success of your Magnakai quest. The time has come, Lone Wolf, for you to learn our wisdom, for we are of the same blood, you and I, and our fate is bound together. We will prepare you for your next quest, for the Lorestone you must find next exists in the land that was once our home, in the temple that was once our most sacred place of worship, in the chamber where our master first appeared to us.'

Your quest has succeeded, for the strength and wisdom of the Lorestone of Herdos is now a part of your body and spirit. But there is much for you to learn from the Elder Magi as they prepare you for the most challenging of the Magnakai quests you have yet to attempt, a quest that will take you deep into the hostile swamps of the Danarg, where the evil creatures of Agarash the Damned still thrive and dominate the land.

If you have the courage of a true Kai Master, the secrets of the Elder Magi and the perils of the Danarg await you in Book 8 of the Lone Wolf series entitled:

The Jungle of Horrors

Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #206
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Review of Castle Death

This is, within hesitation, my least favorite of the Magnakai. It’s clichéd, boring, and dull, with virtually no plot, and nothing interesting. Having the evil place collapse at the end, so cliché. Go into the Evil Place from whom none can return, and kill the Big Bad, and return with the Holy Thing. How humdrum. The writing isn’t even that good. Normally, Dever will spend some time exploring his world a bit, but there is nothing to do that with here. The only interesting thing was finding Paido’s brother, which was quite predictable.

It’s not even a good adventure for findings lots of goodies unless you are brand new. If you are new, you can get a shield, padded waistcoat and helmet in order to build yourself up. The many fights are either super hard or pretty easy. The backpack loss at the end feels superfluous, it doesn’t add to the story. In my opinion, by book number, from best to worst, here is how I find the Magnakai series:

12-10-9-11-8-6-7

Well, 8 is to come, and then the good books start. I mean, hey, Castle Death is solid compared to other Fighting Fantasy style game books, but Lone Wolf is supposed to be the best, and thus it has a higher set of expectations.

End of Castle Death

Old 11-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #207
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Jungle of Horrors:

You are the warrior, Lone Wolf, last of the Kai Masters of Sommerlund and sole survivor of the massacre that destroyed your kinsmen during a bitter war with your age-old enemies, the Darklords of Helgedad.

Many centuries have passed since Sun Eagle, the first of your kind, established the Order of the Kai. Aided by the magicians of Dessi, he completed a perilous quest to find seven crystals of power, known as the Lorestones of Nyxator. On discovering them he unlocked a wisdom and strength that lay within both the Lorestones and himself. He recorded the nature of his discoveries and experiences in a great tome entitled The Book of the Magnakai. You have discovered this lost Kai treasure and have given a solemn pledge to restore the Kai to their former glory, ensuring the security of your land in the years to come. However, your diligent study of this ancient book has enabled you to master only three of the ten Magnakai Disciplines. To fulfil your pledge you must complete the quest first undertaken by Sun Eagle over one thousand years ago and find the Lorestones of Nyxator. By doing so, you, too, will acquire the power and wisdom of the Magnakai, which is held within the Lorestones' crystal forms.

Already your quest has taken you far from your northern homeland. Following in the footsteps of the first Kai Grand Master, you journeyed to Dessi and sought the help of the Elder Magi, the magicians who aided Sun Eagle on his quest long ago. There you learned that one of the seven Lorestones was still present in their land, hidden deep within the island stronghold known as Kazan-Oud--Castle Death. In the years since Sun Eagle first came to Dessi, the fortress of Kazan-Oud had become the abode of a great but evil sorcerer called Zahda. The Elder Magi, realizing the danger of Zahda's increasing power, attempted to destroy Kazan-Oud, but they failed. In desperation they constructed a prison of energy around the fortress to prevent Zahda from ever escaping. Steadily, however, his power grew and the people of Dessi lived in fear of the day when he would break free and wreak his vengeance upon them. When you resolved to enter Kazan-Oud to retrieve the Lorestone, the Elder Magi rejoiced, for the success of your quest would bring about the destruction of Zahda and put an end to the bane that had haunted Dessi for hundreds of years.

You survived the perils of Castle Death and emerged triumphant, achieving that which the Elder Magi had believed to be impossible. During the victory celebrations held in your honour you learned that for centuries the Elder Magi had been expecting your coming. An ancient Dessi legend tells of the birth and rise to greatness of two koura-tas-kai--'sons of the sun'. One was named Ikar, which means 'eagle'; the other was called Skarn, which means 'wolf'. A prophecy foretold that the koura-tas-kai would come from the north to seek the council of the Elder Magi in order that they might fulfill a great quest. Although separated by several centuries, they would share one spirit, one purpose and one destiny--to triumph over the champions of darkness in an age of great peril.

At the Temple of Truth in Elzian, the magnificent capital city of Dessi, the Elder Magi prepared you for the next stage of the Magnakai quest. Lord Rimoah, the speaker of the High Council, tutored you in the ancient histories of Magnamund, and you received lessons in lore that you would have learned from the Kai Masters if only they had survived the attack by the murderous Darklords of Helgedad.

The Lorestone you must find now lies hidden in a temple in the centre of a jungle-swamp known as the Danarg. In ancient times this huge area, once the crater of a massive volcano, was controlled by a powerful lord of evil called Agarash the Damned. The Elder Magi defeated him in a war that lasted one thousand years and, in the wake of his destruction, they turned the Danarg crater into a rich and fertile paradise, the perfect setting for their most sacred place of worship--the Temple of Ohrido. The Danarg flourished until a great plague befell the Elder Magi and decimated their race. They were forced to abandon the Danarg and seek refuge in Dessi. Slowly the Danarg was consumed by a creeping mire, which swallowed or poisoned all healthy forms of life. The crater became a sanctuary for a host of evil creatures who thrived in the fetid waters and fought for control of the treacherous shifting mud flats. Many came from the barren hills of Ogia, but many more awoke from lairs deep beneath the crater where they had lain dormant since the defeat of their master, Agarash the Damned, eight thousand years ago.

Now the time for study has passed and the time for swift action has arrived. Grim news from the west prompts the Elder Magi to cease their counselling and arrange for your immediate passage to the Danarg. In the Darklord city of Helgedad a civil war has raged for five years following your defeat of Haakon, Archlord of the Black City. Now, a new lord sits upon the throne of Helgedad--Darklord Gnaag of Mozgôar.

'The Darklords are united behind their new leader,' reports Lord Rimoah solemnly to his fellow elders of the High Council. 'And they are hungry for conquest and revenge. Their strength grows with each passing day. We dare delay no longer.'

Silently the members of the High Council rise from their seats and turn to face you. No sounds reach your ears, yet the words of their blessing fill your mind.

'May the gods Ishir and Kai protect you on your journey into darkness, Kor-Skarn,' they intone.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #208
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Map of the Danarg:

Old 11-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #209
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

What Discipline to take now? I could take Invisibility. That would finish the Circle of Solaris. I would get +1 CS and +3 EP. Tempting.

However, I am going to go off the beaten path and go with something I would not normally take. Animal Control. I add Spear to my Weaponmastery.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #210
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Improved Disciplines:

Tutelary

Weaponmastery
Tutelaries are able to use defensive combat skills to great effect when fighting unarmed. When entering combat without a weapon, you will lose only 2 points from your COMBAT SKILL, instead of the usual 4 points.

Invisibility
Tutelaries are able to increase the effectiveness of their skill by drawing the enemy's attention to a place other than that in which they are hiding. The effectiveness of this ability increases as a Kai Master rises in rank.

Pathsmanship
Tutelaries with this skill can detect an enemy ambush within 500 yards of their position unless their ENDURANCE score is low due to wounds sustained or lack of food.

Psi-screen
Tutelaries with this skill develop mental defence against magical charms and hostile telepathy. These defences increase in strength as a Kai Master rises in rank.

Divination
Tutelaries who possess this Magnakai Discipline are able to recognize objects or creatures with magical skills or abilities, although they may not be able to if the creature or object is shielded from detection.

This is in addition to the ones from Primate from the last book.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #211
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

In addition to my new map, I can select 5 new items. I take:

Laumspur, Fireseeds, Rope, Quiver w/ 6 arrows

Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #212
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Safekeeping:

Golden Key
Prince Pelethar’s Sword (Normal)
Kai Axe (Normal)
Burrowcrawler Dagger (Normal)
Warhammer from Farmhouse (Normal)
Red Pass
Coach Ticket
Black Sword of Parsion
Map of Sommerlund, Kalte, Southlands, Vassagonia, Stornlands, Tekaro, Dessi
Fur Blanket
114 Gold Crowns
1 Meal
2 Potion of Laumspur - +5 EP
3 Potion of Laumspur - +4 EP
Fur Backpack
Bone Sword (Normal)
Effigy
Distilled Alether +4 CS
Concentrated Graveweed
Kalte Diamond
Ragadorn Dagger (Normal)
Magic Spear
Holy Water
Brass Key
Iron Key
Whip
Sommlending Cavalry Spear (Normal)
Quarterstaff, Royal Guard (Normal)
Scroll of Prophecy
Shield
Jeweled Mace
Bottle of Kourshah - +4 EP
Copper Key
Gold Key
Black Sash
Prism
Barrakeesh Public Bath Towel
Jakan - Vassagonian Coastal Hunting Bow
Zakhan’s Quarterstaff (Normal)
2 Brass Whistle
Pink and Orange Waistcoast
Mirror
Bottle of Wine
Silver Key
Ticket to Eula
Rope
Lantern
Quivers w/ 11 arrows
Sommerswerd
Power Key
Red Robe
Gold Key (Kazan-Oud)
Glowing Dagger
Doomstaff
Kazan-Oud Diamond
Labyrinth Sword (Normal)
Kazan-Oud Fine Spear (Normal)

Keeping:

30 Gold Crowns
Crystal Star Pendant
Platinum Amulet
Blue Stone Triangle
Dagger of Vashna
Bronin Warhammer
Silver Bow of Duadon
Firesphere
Map of The Danarg
Shield
Silver Helmet
Chainmail Waistcoat
Padded Leather Waistcoat
Rope
Quiver w/ 6 arrows
Potion of Laumspur: 4 EP
6 Fireseeds

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-26-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #213
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have 9 special items taken up, only space for 3 more (Fireseeds, 2x Waistcoats, Shield, Silver Helmet, Quiver, Silver Bow, Warhammer, Dagger). Should I move one? It’s a bow, my main weapon, backup weapon, Quiver, fireseeds, and then stuff that makes me better. Hmm.

We’ll keep for now.

I added (Normal) after weapons that were normal.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #214
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Lone Wolf, Kai Tutelary

CS 26
EP 34

Divination
Pathsmanship
Weaponmastery
Huntmastery
Animal Control

Here we goes.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #215
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You leave Elzian under cover of darkness on a trading ship bound for Garthen. It is a trim vessel, lean-prowed and simple in design--one of a thousand such ships that sail the chain of land-locked seas and lakes dividing the northern and southern continents of Magnamund. Its passage along this great waterway called the Tentarias is unlikely to invite undue attention, and it is for this reason that the Elder Magi have placed you aboard. The nature of your voyage is secret, but you are not alone, for a guide has been chosen to accompany you on your dangerous mission. His name is Paido, a tall, ebony-skinned Vakeros, who is a master of the art of battle-magic. Among his fellow warriors he is a high-ranking lord, respected and honoured for his bravery and skill on the field of battle. Now, for the mission that lies ahead, he has exchanged his gold and scarlet robes for the clothes of a commoner, a roving adventurer with a sword for hire. It is a disguise you too have adopted to veil your true identity on the long voyage to the land of Talestria, where a rendezvous with royalty awaits you.

You sail westwards, a benevolent wind filling the triangular sail and skimming the ship across the still, blue waters. The hull seems to slide over the surface of the water rather than cut its way through, and you cannot help but wonder if Paido has conjured some magic to speed your passage. Your first port of call is the city of Talon, where food stocks and fresh water are replenished. Then the voyage continues along the Tentarias to the port of Orello, the last stopping place before your ship-bound journey ends at Garthen--crown capital of Talestria.

It is an hour past midnight when you dock at Varnos harbour in Garthen, a sprawling network of quays and cracked stone jetties that shelter great fleets of merchants, traders and dhows. Silently like a shadow, you disembark and follow Paido through the twisting harbour streets, slowly climbing the steep stairs that connect one level of Garthen to the next. Rusty lanterns cast pools of yellow light beneath the timbered balconies, illuminating the stalls of merchants and vendors who will haggle, brag and barter in the crowded streets till dawn. Paido halts at an iron-shod door and raps the grille with the hilt of his blue-steel sword. A man's face appears, stern and handsome, with smooth dark hair and keen, intelligent eyes. A smile of recognition softens his lordly features when he sees Paido. In an instant the door swings open and you are ushered inside.

The man's name is Adamas, Lord Constable of the Royal Citadel, protector and cousin of Queen Evaine of Talestria. For centuries a strong bond of friendship has existed between the royal household and the magicians of Dessi, and when called upon by the Elder Magi to help you in your quest, Queen Evaine pledged her support without hesitation. She has volunteered the services of Lord Adamas, who is to ensure your safe and unhindered passage through Talestria to the borders of the Danarg. At dawn, after snatching a few hours' sleep, you are taken by coach to the east city wharf, where an empty corn barge is waiting to ferry you up-river. Haulage is provided by eight large ghorkas--hairy, ox-like creatures from the plains of Slovia--which are harnessed to the barge by chains. They lumber along the cobbled towpath, continually kept in line by the stinging lash of the barge owner's zull-hide whip. The next day the barge arrives at a small river village called Lona, where a detachment of Lord Adamas' cavalry, resplendent in surcoats of scarlet and grey, provide you with horses for the cross-country journey to the fortified city of Phoena.
Ill news greets you in Phoena, the city of triple towers. Zegron, warlord of Xanar, ruler of the barren highlands of Ogia, has amassed an army of Drakkarim warriors. Three days ago they attacked the border town of Luukos to the north. The Talestrian garrison put up a brave and spirited defense, but they were hopelessly outnumbered by the bloodthirsty Ogian horde that drove through the perimeter walls with battering rams and engines of war. The Drakkarim razed Luukos to the ground, and only a handful of survivors escaped to tell of the dreadful battle.

'The situation is grave,' reports Lord Adamas, on returning from an emergency conclave of his fellow Talestrian knights. 'For decades Zegron and his minions have raided our northern territories, but never before with such determination and strength. We must mobilize our army for war, for it is war that Ogia has invited by its unforgivable attack on Luukos. I must return to Garthen to muster my retainers in preparation for battle and inform the Queen of the evil that threatens her realm. I can no longer escort you to the Danarg, though your quest must proceed in spite of all that conspires against it.'

He sends for his scribe, who arrives with helpers laden with the paraphernalia of his craft. He dictates an order of safe conduct and sets the impression of his signet ring into the hot wax seal before passing the parchment to you.

'Our northern people are a frontier breed, wary and suspicious of strangers. If challenged, show this Pass and your safe passage will be assured by all who are loyal to Queen Evaine.' (Mark this Pass on your Action Chart as a Special Item which you carry tucked inside your tunic.)

Early next morning Lord Adamas accompanies you and Paido to the main square of Phoena; it is from here that your quest begins. The first leg of your journey to the Danarg will take you north to the town of Tharro which nestles in the fertile uplands of Talestria. There are two ways of reaching the town: you can travel by road or you can take a barge along the River Phoen. Consult the map before deciding which route to take.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #216
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Barge or road? I’ve done both before. The Barge is more fun and the Road gets you better items. Barge or Road. Let’s have some fun.

We take the barge. We have been expected with private rooms. Adamas footed the bill. Our horses are taken care of and we are led to our rooms. I choose to inspect my room. It’s quite nice but smells mouldy. There is a cork stoppered bottle. I choose to take a look. Is a liquor made from Larnuma fruit, and it is quite delicious. There is enough here for two draughts, and each one restores 3 Ep. I put it in my backpack. I head to the tap room after we begin to see a storm approaching.

The hold is crowded with travelers going north. We reach the bar and Paido asks for two mugs of ale. He gets Ferina Nog. I can get that, Chai Cheer or Bor Brew. I choose Chai Cheer. It’s a weird green color but delicious. Paido takes a big swing of his Ferina Nog and spits it out after tasting it. He accidentally spits it on a guard, and the guard takes umbrage. I can try and stop a fight, or let it pass.

I grab hold of Paido’s sword arm. This is a solider in the Tharro garrison. Attacking him would be officially bad. Paido agrees.

As an apology, Paido offers a ale that is anything but Ferina Nog. The solider agrees.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #217
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The bargee brings a round of Chai-cheer to your table and you drink to the health of Queen Evaine of Talestria. The mood soon becomes much friendlier and you learn that the soldier, whose name is Trost, is on his way back to his post at the Tharro garrison after enjoying a week's leave with his family in Phoena.

As you drink your ale, the sound of applause rises above the hubbub of conversation. An elderly man, tall and distinguished-looking, walks slowly to the centre of the floor and bows to his audience. His pale face and silver-grey hair are a stark contrast to his richly embroidered robes of crimson and gold. He smiles warmly and introduces himself as Count Conundrum, the prince of puzzles. For your amusement, he will pose some brain-twisting conundrums. So confident is he that none will be able to answer his riddles correctly that he is offering 20 Lune to anyone who can prove him wrong. A hush descends as the passengers await his first puzzle.

'If one-and-a-half geese lay one-and-a-half eggs in one-and-a-half days, how many eggs will three geese lay in eight days?'

4 Lune = 1 gold crown, fyi

The answer, of course, is 16. 3 geese make 3 eggs in 1 and a half days, which means they make 2 eggs a day. 2x8 = 16. I shout out the answer and Count Conundrum and he is a little flustered and asks me my logic and I explain. I win 5 crowns.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #218
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

'Very well,' says Count Conundrum. 'Just to make our journey to Tharro a little more interesting, if there is anyone here who can answer my next puzzle correctly they will receive from me forty Lune.' A chorus of delighted whisperings emanates from the crowd.

'In winter,' he begins, 'the ice-lilies of Lake Adon double in area every twenty-four hours. It takes sixty days from the time the first ice-lily appears until the lake is completely covered with them. On what day is the lake half covered with lilies?'

The obvious answer here is 59, since it doubles each day, quite easy. The colour in Count Conundrum;s face drains away more and I win 10 crowns of Lune.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #219
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

'And finally, for my last puzzle, I offer this beautiful treasure,' he says, as he draws a small silver box inlaid with pearls from the pocket of his robes. 'This priceless artefact was stolen from the treasure hoard of Valborg the Enchanter,' he exclaims.

On hearing this wondrous revelation the tap-room comes alive with excited chatter. You are inclined to disbelieve the tale of the box's origin but, nevertheless, it is a beautiful object and is undoubtedly worth at least 100 Lune, perhaps more.

Silence descends on the hold as all await the Count's final puzzle. 'When I was last in the market of Garthen,' the Count begins, 'I asked an egg trader how many eggs he had sold that day. He replied: "My first customer said that he would buy half my eggs and half an egg more. My second and third customers said exactly the same thing. When I had filled all three orders I was completely sold out of eggs and yet I hadn't broken a single egg all day." How many eggs had the egg trader sold in all?'

Just work backwards. 1 was left when the last one came (half is ½ and then ½ an egg more). Then 3 before that (half is 3/2 plus ½ is 2 total, leaving just one). Then 7 before that. (Half is 7/2, plus ½ = four, leaving just 3).

Quote:

The Count looks flabbergasted when you call out the correct answer. Dejectedly he hands over the beautiful Silver Box and quietly leaves the hold, oblivious to the cheers of the passengers who have seen him meet his match at last. If you wish to keep the Silver Box, mark it on your Action Chart as a Backpack Item.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #220
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We have arrived at Honey Lodge, a small hamlet. I stay in the tap-room. Trost, Paido and I talk for a bit about war and such. The talk of soldiers.

Trost swallows the last drop of ale and turns his head to see what is attracting your attention. He catches sight of the new passenger and begins to choke.

'By the stars!' he hisses. 'It's him . . . it's Kezoor the Necromancer!' He pulls a crumpled scroll from within his tunic and unfurls it on the table. On it is a picture of a man's face--the cruel features bear an uncanny resemblance to those of the stranger. Beneath the picture you read:

Notice of Death

Kezoor the Necromancer

Renegade Shaman of Mogaruith.
Leader of the forbidden sect of Dazudskul.

It is hereby proclaimed by lawful authority that in just retribution for vile acts of black sorcery perpetrated throughout the Freelands of Talestria, a bounty of TEN THOUSAND LUNE is offered for the head of Kezoor the Necromancer.

By order of Queen Evaine of Talestria
MS 5060

'This could be our chance to make a fortune,' whispers Trost. 'Help me take him and we'll split the reward. Agreed?'

Old 11-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #221
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I agree. Sounds like fun.

Paido and Trost will approach the Necromancer while I guard the stairs and make sure that he doesn’t leave, and I am the reserve force. I leave my seat and walk to the tap-room stairs. Then Paido and Trost get up and Trost challenges Kezoor. We get proof that he actually is the Necromancer when a spell in cast on Trost that causes his skin to erupt in boils.

Paido swings at Kezoor but he parries with a black blade. The Necromancer summons a huge horde of hairy spiders at Paido. I choose to use my bow. I add 6 to my number for Weaponmastery and the Silver Bow of Duadon. I roll a 3 and add 6, giving me 9. I hit him badly and turn him around, but he is still raring for a fight.

Kezoor shrieks in pain and sends more summonings towards Paido, but Paido ses his battle-magic to burn them away. I grab my Bronin Warhammer and charge and the two of us battle Kezoor.

Kezoor - CS 26, EP 43

I half all EP lost because Paido takes half of the blows. Kezoor is immune to Psi-Surge and Mindblast.

I am at -2 CS. Let’s make some rolls. I roll 8, 2, 2, 3. Total lost by Kezoor - 19. Total lost by me - 15 halved at end of combat. I roll some more - 2, 4, 2, 0. Total lost by Kezoor - 40. Total lost by me: 29. I roll a 6 and Kezoor dies. Paido and I split 31 damage, so I take 16 and have 18/34 left.

We kill him and Paido dismembers his head. We find Trost dead. The captain of the ship comes down and is quite upset at the damage to his tap-room. Paido gives the captain Kezoor’s head, the poster Trost had, and then tells him to give the money to Trost’s family after paying for repairs. I notice Kezoor’s black book on the floor. I can use Divination so I do.

It tells me that the book, while evil, is not cursed or trapped. I decide to pick it up and look at it. The pages are made of a very thin metal. I am about to toss the book when out falls a scroll written in Giak. I keep the scroll.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #222
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The stench of scorched fur hangs heavily in the tap-room, a reminder of the ghastly spiders. The smell turns your stomach, and you motion to Paido to follow as you go up on deck to watch the bargees dispose of the bodies. Contemptuously they weight Kezoor's corpse with bricks and hurl it over the side, but Trost they lie in an oaken chest and the captain leads your fellow passengers in prayer as it is lowered respectfully into the Phoen.

The heavy rain and the burial have delayed the journey. The bargees try to make up lost time by whipping the ghorkas, but to no avail. The muddy towpath and their waterlogged fur prevent them from pulling any faster. It is mid-afternoon by the time the barge arrives at the next stopping place--Ferry House. A ramshackle building is perched precariously on the edge of the river bank, and an old wooden jetty juts out from the side, its empty platform almost submerged by the swollen river. Two plains farmers disembark here. You hear them talking excitedly about the events they have witnessed, their voices gradually fading as the barge moves forward again.

You stare across the lush open plains that border the river, contemplating the quest that lies ahead. A flock of long-necked okrils fly overhead, their melodic call echoing across the grasslands as they return to their nests at the river's edge. Paido sits silently beside you at the prow, his thoughts, like yours, on the perils of the Danarg that have yet to be faced.

The sun is low in the sky when you catch sight of Tharro, its mud-coloured walls--thick, high and crenellated--dominating the hill on which it was built centuries ago. The barge passes beneath a stout wooden bridge, supported by rough-hewn pillars of stone, along a canal running parallel to the river, and draws to a halt before two massive metal-bound doors which span the waterway. You collect your horses and disembark with the other mounted passengers, riding in line towards the fortified town gate. At first you are turned away by the guards, but when you show your pass, signed and sealed by Lord Adamas, you are both ushered to the front of the queue and saluted like lords as you ride through the archway and into the square beyond. Three streets converge at the river gate square: Copperpiece Lane, Globe Walk and Flagon Alley.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #223
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I take Copperpiece Lance and find a bowery shop. I can go in or keep following the street. I go in and find some items for sale. I purchase, for 2 crowns, Wrist and Finger Guards. I am asked if I have the Silver Bow, and I do. He likes it and wants to use it in the archery range but I don’t have time so I bid him goodbye.
Copperpiece Lane arrives at a square. I can continue on or enter Hog-Foot Lane. I enter it.

Quote:

You follow the narrow, winding street, passing rows of dusty houses and shops. The noisy clack of window shutters signifies an end to another day's business as the shopkeepers close for the night. The street turns eastwards and begins to climb Fortress Hill.

Halfway up the rise you approach a squat building of green-glazed stone. A fat merchant stands in the doorway, waiting impatiently for customers despite the late hour. 'Good evening, gentlemen,' he says, in a thin and wheedling voice. 'Welcome to the emporium of Rath Radis, the storehouse of miracles.' Through the open doorway you can see that the shop is brim-full of curious magical paraphernalia.

(I choose to enter)

Row upon row of glass-fronted cases fill the shop. They house many thousands of curios, each one bearing a tag neatly displaying the price of the item. There is scroll parchment for spells, cubes of rare metal, amulets, talismans, ritual candles, potions and powders, rings and rods and relics of long-dead heroes.

The display is fascinating but your attention is drawn to one item in particular--a ring of translucent grey crystal. Your basic Kai senses reveal that nearly all the mystical items for sale in the shop are simply clever fakes designed to fool the gullible, but the Grey Crystal Ring radiates an energy that is genuinely magical. The price of the Grey Crystal Ring is 120 Lune.

I pick it up.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #224
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

You arrive at a flagstoned quadrangle. It is well lit by street lanterns, which hang from the first-floor balcony of a large and unusual building. Constructed of blue stone, with silver and scarlet veins running through it. The bricks have been polished to give a mirror-like shine. A huge wooden door banded with copper dominates the entrance, above which a bronze cast depicts a flaming broadsword with the words 'TEMPLE OF THE SWORD' engraved along the blade.

Beyond the temple, a street ascends to a stone watchtower. It is built on the peak of a hill and dominates the town.

I choose to use Pathsmanship and it tells me that the symbol by the temple says they will offer free food and lodging to travelers, but usually only temples away from cities will do so, since there could be a large number of people who want food and shelter. Before I find a place for the night, let’s check in and see what we can see. I go to the watchtower. I find some gruff and unaccommodating soldiers guiding it. I choose to show the Pass.

They barely blink an eye and tell me that the Shieldmaiden won’t be back until tomorrow. Well, time to check out that temple.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:43 AM   #225
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You dismount and climb the steps leading to the temple doors. An old man in brown robes answers your knock and invites you and Paido inside; a novice attends to your horses.

Stepping through the door is like stepping into another world. The air is sweet with incense and the flickering light, cast by a long row of squat red candles, does little to illuminate the interior. You follow the old man along a vaulted corridor, down several flights of stairs, and finally into a torchlit refectory. A delicious smell of cooking wafts from an open hatch in the wall together with the sounds of people in the kitchen beyond.

'Be seated,' says the old man, pointing to a stout oak table laid for supper, 'and enjoy our humble food. May it revive you after your travels and fortify you for the road ahead.'

Another monk enters the chamber, carrying two steaming plates of meat stew. He sets them down before you and blesses the food with the words, 'gaj kog zutag'. You are hungry after your day's journey and must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Now, that’s either Giak or Darklord tongue, and frankly, Lone Wolf should be able to recognize it by now. I choose to eat a meal through another method (Huntmastery). The monks appear upset by my refusal to eat their stew. They enter in the company of an elderly man in their robes with a long black staff. He asks if we have eaten, but I have not eaten their food. I use Divination and it tells me this man is very, very evil. Like off the scale evil. He says to summon the brothers, and as they leave, I use my bow to take down one of the monks that are rushing to the door., but he other escapes. I choose to fire an arrow at the uber-evil one but, we’ll, you’ll want to see:

Quote:

You draw and fire an arrow at the monk's head. At the same time he spins his black staff with incredible speed and dexterity, creating a whirl of darkness. There is a brief flash as your arrow enters this spinning vortex and is smashed to fragments. Before the fragments have settled on the floor, you shoulder your bow, draw a hand weapon, and leap forward to catch your enemy off his guard.

(That’s pretty nasty. This is going to hurt without my Sommerswerd. Incidentally, I have healed all of my wounds like Kezoor, so I have that going for me. )

The sinister monk is shocked by the speed and ferocity of your attack, but he recovers his senses in time to parry your first blow with his black staff. A splash of hissing sparks lights the room as your weapon scrapes along the jet-black pole and glances off its twisted tip. You raise your arm to strike again, but you are distracted by Paido's scream of alarm. His face is deathly pale and his hands and arms are trembling uncontrollably. With a groan he collapses, scattering plates and cutlery as he hits the table and rolls unconscious to the floor.

A distant echoing whistle issues from the monk's open mouth. Steadily it rises in pitch until it passes beyond the range of your hearing. At that moment a terrible pain courses through your head. The pain and pressure grows until your skull feels ready to explode.

Do I have Psi-Screen? Nope. I take 8 EP in damage from the stupid mind wrenching attack.

Quote:

A ghastly transformation is taking place before your eyes. The monk's face is writhing and contorting as the skin tightens and grows darker. Tattered flesh drops from his sunken cheeks to hang in festoons beneath the exposed jawbone. A sickening dread fills your heart as you recognize the creature standing before you. It is a Helghast, a nightmarish agent of the Darklords. Its demonic eyes glow like red-hot coals as it shrieks and raises its long black staff.

I quaff some Laranuma now, both halves. This is going to hurt. Do I have the Sommerswerd. Nope, but the text will then assume I do not have any other magic weapons, when I could have the Dagger of Vashna, Jeweled Mace, Magic Spear, Bronin Warhammer, etc.

The Helghast fires a ball of blue flame at me. I can try to deflect it with my Bronin Warhammer, Fire an arrow at it, or just dodge. let’s not over think this, let’s just dodge.

Quote:

You hit the floor and roll behind the table, the only cover available on this side of the refectory. The fireball scorches your back as it speeds across the room and explodes against the wall with a deafening crack. You find yourself lying beside Paido, who is unconscious but still alive. His blue-steel sword rests across the back of his legs, and the hilt of a dagger protrudes from the top of his boot.

Do I have Divination and Tutelary? Yup. It tells me Paido’s sword is Magical so I grab it (In reality I’m just using my Warhammer, because the text assumes you have no magic weapons - a bad assumption). The Helghast fires another blue flame and this time I can deflect it easily off my magic weapon. I hit the Helghast with it, and it drops its staff. I see the opportunity and strike.

Gnaag Helghast CS 28, EP 40

Immune to Mindblast. Unless I have Psi-Screen I lose two CS. Okay, so I have a CS of 22 against him. Ick. Alright, let’s see what sort of damage I can do. This is a lose-able battle.

I roll a 4, 5, 9 and 6. I lost 14. The Helghast lost 21. Let’s keep going. 3, 5, 9. I lost 23. The Helghast lost 33. I have 9 left, the Helghast has 8 left. I roll a 7. 6 to it and 3 to me. I quaff the last draught. I roll a 9. The Helghast dies and I have 6 EP left. Whew.

I save my Laumspur for now.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:02 AM   #226
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The Helghast vents a cry of rage and despair as you strike the blow that seals its doom. It crumples and falls, its flesh transforming into a vile green gas. All that remains is the torn and shredded robe that once concealed its identity.

Your mind reels at what has just occurred, but you dare not dwell on the fearful implications, for you can make out the sound of feet running down the stairs beyond the locked refectory door. You rush to Paido's side and shake him, trying desperately to revive him. He groans, his head lolling from side to side as you drag him to his feet. There is now only one escape route from the refectory--the hatch in the wall that leads to the kitchens. You lift Paido across your shoulder and bundle him through the narrow opening. But, before you can pull yourself through, the door slams open and a rush of monks pour into the refectory.

I choose to flee them, because my senses are that they were unaware their leader was a Helghast. We almost make it out, but one of them manages to swing a sword at me and I lose 1d10 hp to it. I have gained two from healing and have 8, so I can survive 0-7, or a 80% chance. I roll a 6. Down to 2.

We arrive in the kitchen as I half carry Paido. As we flee, I find a stopped vial of clear fluid and I pocket it. I can climb stairs or go to the door ahead. I use Divination which tells me above is a place of good. I take it and it is a chapel. I investigate the poison and it is gnadurn sap. I hear the sound of dogs and the monks so I choose to hide in the pulpit. We find a secret chamber back here and enter it.

Paido has entered a coma. I can use Curing if I have it. I don’t. He will die if he is not healed. Do I have: Oede, Laumspur, or Rendalim’s Elixir? I give him my Laumspur. I combine the Laumspur with his water jug and since he is in a coma, I cannot suffocate him. I can only put a tiny bit in at a time and it takes hours.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #227
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

A bead of sweat on Paido's forehead is the first sign of his recovery. Slowly he stirs to consciousness, waking from a sleep that was so nearly his last. He can remember nothing of the ordeal, and when you tell him what has happened he shakes his head in disbelief. 'A Helghast?' he says, incredulously. 'How can it be?'

'The servants of Darklord Gnaag have infiltrated this monastery,' you reply. 'They have kept themselves hidden, but I fear the day is fast approaching when they will rise up and wreak their havoc. Already they know our true identities, and I wager they know why we're here.'

'This is bitter news, Lone Wolf,' replies Paido, his face etched with worry. 'We can afford to delay no longer. If Talestria falls to Darklord Gnaag before we reach the Danarg, then the quest is lost.' You nod in agreement, and as you cast your eyes along the gloomy passageway, you cannot help but wonder if the quest is already lost. With a shake of your head you dismiss the thought and help Paido to his feet.

The passage follows a tortuous path that leads eventually to a paneled door. A raised button activates the lock, and the door slides into the wall to reveal a strange room. Domed and hexagonal, its walls are hung with tapestries depicting strange and grotesque creatures. Numerous plinths stand upon the richly carpeted floor, each supporting a large bowl filled to the brim with a silvery liquid. Cautiously you step through the secret portal and into this sumptuous chamber.

One of the bowls begins to emit a faint humming sound. The surface of its silvery liquid swirls and glows brighter, casting a phosphorescent light on to the domed ceiling. The sparkling mist slowly clears and a strange image takes shape, condensing and forming into something wholly alien, something that resembles the head of a monstrous fly. Its great multi-faceted eyes stare down at you, gleaming darkly with black fire, like two huge clusters of evil jewels.

'Tan-ash-oka, Nadoknar Gnaag!' booms a ghastly, rasping voice. Then, with a stifled cry of rage and recognition, the image clouds over and the light fades to a dull glow. The terrible visage of Darklord Gnaag has disappeared.

'By the gods!' gasps Paido, shocked to the core by what he has seen. 'What manner of beast was that?' But you do not reply, for you sense that he already knows the dreadful answer.

Swiftly you search the chamber. Behind a throne-like chair of chiseled stone you discover several useful items: a Sword, a Bow, 3 Arrows and enough food for 2 Meals. Also, set into the back of the chair, is a lever. It activates a portal in the opposite wall. The tapestry that conceals it is drawn aside, and you can see a stairway, flanked by torches, descending to a passage far below.

'Come,' says Paido. 'This room chills my blood.' You move to follow him as he descends the stairs, stopping briefly to kick over the bowl of glowing, silvery liquid that projected the image of Darklord Gnaag.

(I take the arrows and the Helghast’s Sword.)

Old 11-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #228
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The stairs lead down to a vast network of catacombs that stretch in every direction. It would be easy to lose yourself in this maze of tunnels, but your Kai tracking skills, heightened by the pressing need to escape from the monastery, help you avoid the hazards and dead ends of these sprawling burial vaults. Following the sound of dripping water, you discover a circular stone trapdoor in the ceiling. Paido cups his hands around your foot and lifts you nearer the tunnel roof, enabling you to open the trapdoor. Early morning daylight streams into the passage as you lift the slab of wet stone and slide it aside.

You have emerged at the courtyard on the north side of the monastery. Two monks stand guard at the double doors of a low, timber-framed building on the other side of the paved enclosure. Fortunately a line of bushy fruit trees that encircles the courtyard provide all the cover you need to avoid their watchful eyes. You crouch in the shadows and watch as the monks leave their posts to enter the building. Minutes later the doors swing open and they reappear, both on horseback, and ride off through an archway to the right. The courtyard is now empty but you curse their departure, for the horses they are riding belong to you and Paido.

Enter the stables or escape on foot? We need horses so I take us to the stables. There some nice horses here too and we grab them and make our escape. On our way out, we crash into some monks, one of whom throws his sword at my back as we gallop away. I am to pick a number and add 3 if I have Huntmastery. I do so I automatically win and the sword misses. We ride out of the north gate and make our way out.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:38 AM   #229
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Halfway through the morning we reach an area with a cabin, a mine. I can keep going, check the mine, or check the cabin. I check the cabin. Info is great right now. I call out to see if someone ins in, but no answer. I use Divination and it tells me someone wants to ambush me if I enter. Do I want to enter yes or no? Sure, let’s piss off the gods.

My weapon is poised to strike and I am attacked by a rogue miner wielding a pickaxe handle.

Rogue Miner: CS 17, EP 25

I have 14 EP right now. I roll a 9 and auto kill him. We find a ton of silver nuggets in here, it looks like a very incognito operation, and I take 6 sacks of silver (6 BP items) Only rope, sack of silver and silver box in my BP now that I’ve used my medicines.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #230
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I head over to the mine. It just looks like an abandoned mine that had several rock falls. I leave. We keep going, I eat a meal, and we find a stream and let our horses drink. In the distance I see a lot of black smoke and refugees, wounded soldiers, and such.

I am told to turn back because the armies of darkness are coming. I cannot continue along this track. I can turn around and go back or go off the track and head west. I head west. We make a bit of time, and then we see the first signs of Warchief Zegron‘s army twenty miles away or so.

We follow a stream until is enters the beginning of a wood and hit’s a river. We have entered the Mordril Forest. It was once a place of light. Now? Not so much. We cross the earth and I notice some tracks. Use Pathsmanship? Yup! It is a biped and big, but I cannot make out the species.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #231
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We spend some time scaling and going down these tree-filled hills. Finally we approach a wide and old tree bridge when I see what made those tracks, and it is ugly.

Use a bow? Yup. My horse is getting frightened. Tree bridge plus big nasty to its rear. I fire.

Quote:

Your arrow enters the creature's mouth, transfixing its tongue to the back of its throat. It gurgles and chomps on the feathered shaft, its clawed fingers scrabbling to pull it free. In its frenzy it loses its footing and slips, throwing open its arms instinctively to steady itself. Its claws ensnare your horse's bridle and, as it topples from the tree-bridge, it pulls your horse and you over the edge.

I roll and add for Huntmastery. I auto win with Huntmastery. I manage to leap from the saddle to the tree bridge and save myself. The horse is dead, but I‘m fine. Paido’s horse goes crazy and falls off and he is able to jump clear too. Damn. No horse-age. We continue on, but wow.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #232
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Twilight is approaching. As the sky above darkens, a black bird flies among the upper branches, emitting a shrill cry, which sounds unnaturally loud in the silent forest. It settles, stares at you for a few minutes, then flaps away. A little later you stumble upon a clearing. Shafts of ghostly moonlight pour through a gap in the black canopy of leaves, revealing a mound of earth, rising out of the forest mist. You are both exhausted after the day's events and agree to stop here to rest. Paido takes a Gold Crown from his pocket and tosses it in the air to decide who should take the first watch. 'Heads or tails?' he asks, the Crown clenched in his fist.

I use Divination and tell that it is heads. Which do I call. I take heads and get second watch, and I gain 3 EP from the rest. I am fully healed now, including the mental damage which healed with that.

Grey trees. That’s all there is. Grey trees. Boring. Paido says we are approaching the Danarg crater. I say more grey trees. After some time we come across a swampy area with whirls and eddys below. don’t want to go there, so do I go south, north or use Pathsmanship with Tutelary rank (telescopic vision). It tells me that north there are some swamp creatures. Go south or north and fight them. Let’s not be stupid, south.

We continue through the scum and Paido wants dry land, and we soon come across a spur of volcanic rock. South or west along it. West is the way to the center of the Danarg, so we keep going that way. After a bit we are back in the mire. I have to eat a meal but Huntmastery gets me one even here.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #233
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You arrive at a mound where a tree bearing blood-red fruit overhangs a pool of crystal-clear water. You stop to rest and to dislodge the tiny leeches that are feasting on your legs.

Paido climbs the tree to scan the horizon. He carries with him a starguider, a homing device invented by the Elder Magi to enable their flying ships to navigate in the dark. It is sensitive to the vibrations given off by korlinium crystals. The spire of the Temple of Ohrido is solid korlinium, and the Elder Magi have set Paido's starguider to home in on the vibrations emitted by the spire. By following the direction of the signals, it is hoped that you will be able to find the lost temple.

Whilst Paido is busy adjusting the starguider, you decide to investigate your surroundings.

I try to look at the fruit. They look delicious. Do I have Huntmastery? Yup. It tells me the tree is dead and these cannot be fruit, they are carnivorous animals. I choose attack a fruit. It dies and the others choose to fall off the tree and open up, revealing legs, and scurry away.

Quote:

When Paido finally climbs down from the tree, his face betrays his anxiety. 'What is wrong?' you ask impatiently.

'There is no signal,' he replies. 'I have scanned every direction with the starguider, but it can detect no korlinium signal. It isn't damaged, of that I'm sure. It's simply as if the temple has disappeared.'

You take the device from Paido's hand and climb the twisted tree trunk. He shouts instructions and you set the starguider into operation, scanning the distant horizon and waiting for the tell-tale click that will reveal the direction of the lost temple of the Elder Magi. But Paido is right--there is no signal; and without a signal there is no hope of finding the Lorestone of Ohrido.

You are about to abandon the search and jump down from the tree when you see something on the northern horizon that you hadn't noticed before. An island of red volcanic rock rises out of the mire, one of four flat-topped islands grouped in a diamond close to the eastern edge of the crater. Perhaps the temple is on the other side of that island. Perhaps that is why the starguider will emit no signal?

You climb down and ask Paido what he thinks. He stares to the north and ponders the problem. 'Yes, it is possible,' he says thoughtfully, 'it is just possible.'

Hope returns and your spirits rise with the expectation of finding the lost temple beyond the isle of red rock. You set off without delay, anxious to cover the ten-mile trek before the sun sets and darkness engulfs the Danarg.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #234
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

For the most part the swamp mire is firm underfoot and the inhabitants pose no problems that cannot be solved by a few shouts or well-placed weapon blows. But, as the sky darkens and you draw nearer to the plateau, the going becomes more difficult. A carpet of vines, thick with mould, covers a surface of muddy holes and hollows. Often a seeming puddle proves to be a bottomless fissure. Progress becomes so slow that you fear you will never reach the island before dark.

Paido is leading the way across a tangled mat of barbed vines when a wave disturbs the muddy ooze below. Suddenly the great head of a silver swamp python bursts through the rotting creepers and raises its tree-thick coils high in the air. Awesome jaws set with double-tiered fangs tower above you, glistening in the fading light. A drop of venom falls from the fangs and sets the quagmire boiling.

I am asked if I have Animal Control plus Primate rank. Yup. I mask my own scent but it likes Paido’s, but I manage to keep it away with a good roll of a 7. It frightened away the swamp denizens but they begin to return so let’s keep moving. More moss issues, and the sun is beginning to set. We discover an actual trail. I use Pathsmanship.

Quote:

Even in the failing light, you can see that this trail is frequently used: the spongy vegetation is crushed flat, and a profusion of tracks are imprinted on the loamy soil. The tracks were made by man-sized creatures, bare-footed and web-toed. Close to the main trail winds another, less obvious, track. For some reason someone or something has gone to great lengths to keep this trail secret.

I choose the secret trail. It comes across a Ghagrim settlement, a group of lizard-ish humanoids that are not always friendly, so I choose to continue along secret track. Yay Pathsmanship allowing me to skip an encounter. We find a rock and grab a few hours sleep before dawn.

Day breaks and we can finally see the temple. It’s pretty close, actually. We should be there soon. I pick a number and it’s 6. We stop at noon to check the Starguider and it still works. Another meal of love.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #235
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It is late afternoon when you reach the Temple of Ohrido, rising majestically out of the swamp mists and tangled vegetation. The sight of this towering ziggurat is so breathtaking that you are both stunned into silence as you feast your eyes on its untarnished splendour. Tier upon tier of gleaming white stone, shaped and formed into perfect symmetry, confront you. Huge foundation slabs support a level carved of golden rock, inlaid and decorated with gemstones. Above that sit strata of precious metals and then levels made up of crystal slabs, whose facets refract the colours of the rainbow. Upward climb tiers of ruby, sapphire and emerald, that offer up a wedge-shaped spire of pure korlinium crystal to the sky.

At its base the swamp has shrunk back as if repelled by the radiant goodness of the temple. A perimeter of lush grass leads to a staircase of solid amber. You follow Paido as he ascends towards a pair of huge triangular doors set into the second level. Everywhere the glitter of gemstones and the gleam of precious metals radiate a purity unspoiled by the Danarg. Paido completes the complex procedures that open the great doors, taught to him by the Elder Magi in preparation for this mission. They part and you enter, stepping on a floor of glistening gold, a floor that has lain undisturbed for seven thousand years.

The great doors close with a whisper. You follow Paido along a corridor of gleaming silvery metal that dazzles your eyes to a hall carved from solid crystal. Icicles of diamond hang from its ceiling and reflect in a floor set with mosaics of a thousand shimmering squares.

'Approach the crystal dais, Lone Wolf,' instructs Paido, pointing to a radiant circular plateau of pure quartz.

But even as his words leave his lips you are already walking towards the plinth, drawn by a strange compulsion. You mount the dais and a flood of golden light pours down from above, bathing you in its warm, cleansing rays. You raise your cupped hands, as if offering up an invisible gift, and a tingling sensation runs the length of your arms and spreads through your body, giving you an incredible sense of well being. A ball of sparkling light is taking shape in your hands. It condenses into a radiant crystal filled with golden fire: it is the Lorestone of Ohrido.

The light fades and you step down from the dais, your senses aglow with a new-found wisdom and strength. Having witnessed the fulfillment of your quest, Paido beams with joy as you return to his side. He congratulates you and bids you follow as he turns towards an archway of silver set into the crystal walls of the chamber. 'Come, Lone Wolf. We have a long journey ahead of us. We must leave without delay.'

Old 11-27-2009, 02:51 AM   #236
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The thought of returning to the dangers of the Danarg fills you with dread. Paido senses your anxiety. 'Don't look so dismayed,' he says, still smiling. 'This temple will provide the means for our safe return, you will see.' Intrigued by his answer, you follow in silence as he leads you through the archway and up a long flight of marble stairs to another chamber, also constructed of crystal but veined with a marble that glistens like liquid fire. It is solid korlinium. At the centre of the chamber, its hull resting on a cradle of steel, is a Levitron--an ancient skyship. Like everything else that you have seen in this wondrous temple, the craft is untarnished by time. Paido ushers you aboard and prepares to power the craft. A shudder runs through the hull as the engines rise in pitch and slowly it lifts from its bed of steel. The chamber is built in the spire of the temple and the roof now slides open to allow the Levitron to rise into the darkening sky above the Danarg.

Paido sets the controls and sets the ship's starguider on a course for Elzian. Then he joins you at the bow-rail for one last look at the Temple of Ohrido. It glows red in the light of the setting sun, but the shimmering glow is blemished by shadows that swoop back and forth across its tiers. You assume it is just a trick of the twilight, until your ears are filled by a sudden and terrifying shriek.

You look up to see a squadron of black-winged Kraan swooping down on the Levitron. On the backs of these leathery creatures ride red-robed Vordaks, hideous servants of the Darklords of Helgedad. In their skeletal hands they wield staves of black iron which crackle with blue fire. As a Kraan screams past, a stream of liquid blue flame pours from its rider's staff.

Do I have the Sommerswerd? Nope. Two Vordaks leap to the vessel and I have to fight them both, quickly. If I have not killed them both in 4 rounds, the gig is up.

Vordak 1 CS 22, EP 28
Vordak 2 CS 21, EP 26

I have - 2 to my CS because of immunity to Mindblast and no Psi-Screen. I roll 8 twice and actually kill the first one, amazingly. I have two rounds to kill the second. It’s a bit easier because my CV is raised to the next column.. I roll a 3rd 8, and it takes 14. 7, 8, 9 and 0 kill it. I roll a FOURTH freakin.8 8 in a row. Dang. Now, in fact, I’d do what most do in this combat and make it 5 rounds not 4, because Joe Dever made this battle WAAAAAY too hard, and we’ll talk about how in a bit.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:00 AM   #237
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Suddenly more shrieking Vordaks crash down on the deck. Paido is immediately engulfed by the red-robed figures. He is out-numbered but he fights with a tiger-like tenacity, his blue-bladed sword tearing deep into their loathsome bodies. You are running back across the main deck when a new danger confronts you. A Kraan sweeps low across the skyship, dropping a cluster of black crystal cubes that scatter across the deck.

Do I have Divination? Yup. It tells me these are set to explodes, and that would take us out permanently. I do the black cubes first. I manage to toss them all off.

Quote:

Paido screams for your help. A swooping Kraan-rider has cast a large net, smothering his body. The net is sewn with hundreds of tiny barbed hooks which have worked their way into his skin and clothes, and he cannot free himself without the hooks inflicting fearful wounds. Only one Vordak remains to confront him, all the others having perished on his blade, but he is now unable to defend himself against this creature. He is at the mercy of a merciless foe.

You scramble to your feet and rush to save him as the Vordak creeps closer. Suddenly the Kraan-rider reappears, gliding low across the deck before hovering over the bow. A length of thin black rope dangles from its saddle and hurriedly the Vordak threads it through the corners of the net. You race up the steps, shouting 'For Sommerlund' and launch your attack. The Vordak turns to face you, its skeletal features frozen in a mask of terror. An instant later your weapon shears its bony neck and sends its skull-like head spinning down into the Danarg. A ghastly cry pierces your ears, but it is not a shriek of pain or despair: it is a malicious caw of triumph. The Kraan beats its massive wings, and the down-draught forces you to your knees as the creature climbs higher into the darkening sky. You stare aghast as the rope closes the net around Paido and lifts him off the deck. Instinctively you leap upwards, your hands outstretched to grab the barbed net, but it is too late. The Kraan turns in mid-air and flies off to the north with Paido, wounded and helpless, swinging like a netted fish below its leathery black belly.

Anger and frustration well up inside you as helplessly you watch the Kraan and your captured companion disappear beyond the horizon. Gradually your anger gives way to sadness as you ponder his fate and wonder if he will ever survive this cruel abduction. You pray for his safety, calling on the spirits of your ancestors to watch over and protect him and, as if in answer to your prayer, you feel a sudden calm engulf your senses. The power of the Lorestone, transfused into your being the instant it appeared in your hands, has greatly increased your intellect and awareness. With confidence you know that Paido will survive his ordeal and that one day you will meet and fight again, side by side.

The return voyage to Dessi is a swift but lonely journey. The starguider ensures that the Levitron stays on course for Elzian and as you cross the canal which encircles the city, a pilot skyship arrives to escort you down. During the voyage you have discovered how to control the Levitron, and now, as slowly you approach the landing platform of the Tower of Truth, you disengage the starguider and make a faultless landing. Lord Rimoah and the High Council have gathered to greet your return, and upon hearing of your successful quest their hopes for the future are renewed in spite of the sad news of Lord Paido's capture by agents of the Darklords.

The High Council listens avidly as you recall your treacherous journey through Talestria, the perilous trek across the Danarg, and the wondrous discovery of their lost temple. When finally you have completed your account they applaud and pay tribute to your courage and daring, their faces beaming with pride. But, despite their joyous greeting, you sense that something is wrong; they seem distant, as if their minds were preoccupied with the solving of a difficult and perplexing problem.

You ask Lord Rimoah if all is well, and he replies: 'You have grown in perception, Lone Wolf. Many things have occurred since last we spoke, and although your quest for the Lorestone of Ohrido has succeeded, the peril of our age has grown ever more deadly. The Darklords now wage open war throughout Magnamund, and many lands have fallen before their Giak legions. Talestria has been overrun. So too have the Stornland nations. Sommerlund stands firm against the armies of Darklord Gnaag, but she has lost her southern province of Ruanon.'

This shocking news fills you with an urge to return to your homeland, yet to do so would defeat the Magnakai quest.

Lord Rimoah bids you follow him to the chamber of the High Council. Set into the floor is a circular well, brimming with a silvery liquid metal. Rimoah kneels and touches the surface and slowly a vision takes form within the shimmering depths of the pool: it is a fortified city surrounded by rolling hills. 'You look upon the city of Tahou in the land of Anari,' says Rimoah, his voice now solemn and composed. 'The Lorestone you must find next lies deep below its streets, in an ancient city that was built during the dawn of Magnamund.'

The vision of Tahou heralds the start of a new and perilous episode in your quest for the Magnakai. If you possess the bravery and courage of a true Kai Master, the challenge of Tahou awaits you in Book 9 of the Lone Wolf series entitled:

The Cauldron of Fear.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:17 AM   #238
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Okay, review time. The end Vordak fight really is the worst end fight in the books for a beginner. If you start with Book 8, and take Psi-Surge, Weaponmastery, and quaff an Alether pot you can find in the book, you add 9 to your starting CS for the final battle. If you roll a 0, 1, 2, or 3, for your initial CS it is impossible to win the battle. The original text actually read more than 5 rounds turn immediately to the section that destroys your ship. So it is possible it is an editing screw up. Even if you roll a 4, 5, or 6 you do not even have a ONE PERCENT chance of winning the final battle in 4 rounds. If you started with a 17, and had perfect skills and the path to get the Alether, you would have a 1.62% chance of winning. An 8, 4.59% chance. You needed the Silver Helmets and Bronin Warhammer and Circle bonuses, and shield, etc.

Now, if you had the Sommerswerd, they have the exact same stats, so that is one of the few places in the Magnakai series where having the Sommerswerd is a good thing.

Now, I like the Black Shadow Against the World feel of The Jungle of Horrors, although it all seems very fast. Gnaag goes from winning to all out nasty war in just a few months. It seems like it would take more.

Oh, as a little aside, you won’t learn this for a long while, but two Darklords died from the civil war that Gnaag won. That means five of the original 20 Darklords have now died, two at my hand, Zagorna and Haakon, two in the civil war, and Vashna by King Ulnar and the Sommerswerd at the Maakengorge.

Okay, the book is alright. It’s not super great or anything, but is better than the previous two. I’d put it on Caverns of Kalte level. There are still some annoying auto deaths. For example, drink that water, and you die. The Gnaag Helghast was written poorly with its assumption that if you didn’t have the Sommerswerd, you didn’t have anything magical at all.

End of The Jungle of Horrors.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #239
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Cauldron of Fear

The story thus far:

You are the warrior, Lone Wolf, last of the Kai Masters of Sommerlund and sole survivor of the massacre that destroyed your kinsmen during a bitter war with your age-old enemies--the Darklords of Helgedad.

Many centuries have passed since Sun Eagle, the first of your kind, established the Order of the Kai. Aided by the magicians of Dessi, he completed a perilous quest to find seven crystals of power, known as the Lorestones of Nyxator, and upon their discovery he unlocked a wisdom and strength that lay within both the Lorestones and himself. He recorded the nature of his discoveries and his experiences in a great tome entitled The Book of the Magnakai. You have discovered this lost Kai treasure and have given a solemn pledge to restore the Kai to their former glory, thereby ensuring the security of your land in the years to come. However, your diligent study of this ancient book has enabled you to master only three of the ten Magnakai Disciplines. To fulfil your pledge, you must complete the quest first undertaken by Sun Eagle over one thousand years ago. By doing so successfully, you, too, will acquire the power and wisdom of the Magnakai, which is held within the Lorestones' crystal forms.

Already your quest has taken you far from your northern homeland. Following in the footsteps of the first Kai Grand Master, you journeyed to Dessi and sought the help of the Elder Magi, the magicians that aided Sun Eagle on his quest long ago. There you learned that one of the seven Lorestones was still present in their land, hidden deep inside an island stronghold known as Kazan-Oud, or Castle Death. You survived the perils of Castle Death and emerged triumphant, having achieved what the Elder Magi had believed to be impossible. During the victory celebrations held in your honour, you learned that for centuries the Elder Magi had been expecting your coming. An ancient Dessi legend tells of the birth and rise to greatness of two koura-tas-kai, which means 'sons of the sun'. One was named Ikar, which means 'eagle', and the other was named Skarn, which means 'wolf'. A prophecy foretold that the koura-tas-kai would each come from the north to seek the council of the Elder Magi in order that they might fulfil a great quest. Although separated by several centuries, they would share one spirit, one purpose and one destiny--to triumph over the champions of darkness in an age of great peril. Your victory at Kazan-Oud proved that you were Skarn--the wolf of Dessi legend--and in keeping with their ancient vows the Elder Magi promised to help you complete the Magnakai quest.

In Elzian, the capital of Dessi, you were tutored in the histories of Magnamund and received lessons in lore that you would have learned from Kai Masters if only they, like you, had survived the murderous Darklord attack on the Kai monastery eleven years ago. You were eager to learn all that your tutor, Lord Rimoah, could teach you in preparation for the next stage of your quest, but grim news from the Darklands cut short your tuition. In the Darklord city of Helgedad a civil war had erupted, following your defeat of Haakon, Archlord of the Black City. After five years, the battle for the throne of Helgedad had finally been won by a Darklord called Gnaag. The other Darklords, now united behind this new leader, were ordered to amass huge armies in preparation for the conquest of Magnamund. So swiftly did their Giak legions grow in numbers that the Elder Magi ceased their counselling and arranged for you to begin at once the search for the third Lorestone. Guided by Lord Paido, a warrior-magician of Dessi, you set off on a perilous journey across the Freelands of Talestria on your way to the jungle-swamps of the Danarg. There, in an ancient temple that was once the Elder Magi's most sacred place of worship, you succeeded in discovering the object of your quest. However, during your escape from the Danarg, your guide, Lord Paido, was captured by Darklord agents, and upon your return to Elzian you learned the fearful news that the Darklords were now waging open war throughout Magnamund. Several lands, after brief but futile resistance, had been overrun completely by Darklord armies, others had surrendered without fighting in the face of their determined might, and sadly there were others who chose to betray former friends and allies by joining the Darklord cause, in the misguided hope that they would share in the spoils of victory, following the triumph of Darklord Gnaag. One such land was Vassagonia, a powerful desert realm to the north of Dessi. Already her armies had invaded the neighbouring territories of Casiorn and Cloeasia, and were preparing to march through the Republic of Anari in order to join Gnaag's horde now advancing across the plain of Slovia. The thought of such an eventuality filled the Elder Magi with dread, for the Lorestone you must find next lies deep below the streets of Tahou, the capital of Anari, in an ancient city built during the dawn of Magnamund. If Tahou were to fall before your arrival the chances of your completing your quest successfully would be slim indeed, even for a warrior of your renowned skill and daring.

Whilst preparations were being made for your journey you learned that the Darklords had attacked and captured Ruanon, the southernmost province of your homeland of Sommerlund. The news of this calamity shook your resolve and filled you with the desire to forego the journey to Tahou and return home without delay. The Elder Magi implored you not to abandon your quest and you faced a difficult and crucial decision. Which should you honour: your vow to complete the Magnakai quest or your oath of loyalty to your King, an oath which pledged your service in the defense of the sun-realm? Fortunately, the surprise arrival of an old friend was to decide the matter for you. Magemaster Banedon, envoy of the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star--the magician's guild of Sommerlund--landed unexpectedly at Elzian aboard his flying ship Skyrider. He and his dwarven crew were warmly greeted, for Banedon, a frequent and favoured visitor to Dessi, was highly respected by the Elder Magi for his mastery of new magic. Six years had passed since last you met and there was much you wished to discuss and reminisce about, but there was an urgent matter of duty to perform first. Banedon had been sent by King Ulnar of Sommerlund to deliver into your hand a royal missive concerning your quest. The scroll, written and sealed by the King himself, ordered you to pursue the Magnakai quest above all other duties. It ended with the words: 'Sommerlund has suffered a grievous defeat at Ruanon, but the will of the people is undaunted and the strength of our army undiminished. Boldly we will resist our enemies so long as there is hope of the rebirth of the Kai.'

Banedon informed you that the King had ordered that he and his skyship be placed under your command. He also delivered the news that the King had bestowed upon you the rank of Warmarshall of the Royal Estates. Proudly you accepted from Banedon two platinum badges, each crafted in the shape of a blazing sun, and affixed them to the collar of your Kai tunic. They signified that you were now a general of the Sommlending army, the youngest general there had ever been. The honour bestowed upon you lifted your spirits, and the news that Banedon would be joining your quest helped greatly to allay your fear of the dangers that lay ahead. For two years Banedon had lived in Tahou as Journeymaster to his guild; his knowledge of the city and of the Tahou Cauldron, the entrance to the ancient metropolis, which lies buried deep beneath the city streets, would be especially useful.

On the eve of your journey to Tahou, the Elder Magi convened a meeting of the High Council. A golden torch was lit and placed in the centre of their great cylindrical council chamber as a symbol of their hopes and prayers for your success.

'This torch shall burn so long as you, Lone Wolf, pursue your destiny along the path of the Magnakai,' said Lord Rimoah, speaker for the High Council. Before the gathering of Elders you reaffirmed your vow to restore the Kai and, as if kindled by a sudden gust of wind, the torch flared brightly, bathing the chamber in its vivid golden glow. As one, the Elders rose from their seats and intoned their blessing: 'May the gods Ishir and Kai protect you on your journey into darkness, Kor-Skarn.'

The old illustrator is gone, so it is a change in the art style.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #240
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Map of Anari

You might recall that, on this map, Slovia was one of the nations in the Stornlands that I passed through in Book 6. You can see how most of these lands connect except for the last book. Suentina, a city in the corner of this map, was in the corner of the Stornlands map. The Chah mountains in the upper right corner are the same mountains in the lower left on the Vassagonia map.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #241
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A full moon lights the sky above Elzian on the evening you begin your journey to Tahou. Its ashen rays glimmer along the polished wooden outriggers that run the length of the hull of the Skyrider, and illuminate the crystal star ensign and the Sommlending flag as it flutters proudly from the mizzen-mast. The Elders of the High Council have gathered on the roof of their council chamber and, as you and Banedon climb the boarding ladder to the skyship, you pause to return their farewell salute. Bo'sun Nolrim, senior member of Banedon's crew of dwarves, welcomes you and his captain aboard. Surveying the craft, you notice that the Skyrider has changed very little since you were last aboard her, when you sailed the desert skies of Vassagonia in search of The Book of the Magnakai. The crew remember that voyage fondly and are justly proud of the part they played in the success of that perilous mission. 'Take the helm, bo'sun, and set a course for Navasari!' commands Banedon, as he leads you across the busy deck to his cabin at the prow.

Swiftly the lights of Elzian vanish as the Skyrider speeds into the night. A mile below, the jungle of Dessi and the barren peaks of the Xulun Mountains race past beneath the keel, but in the comforting warmth of Banedon's cabin you feel no sensation of movement; only the hum of the powerful engine indicates how rapidly you are travelling. Over a delicious meal of salt beef and spiced fruit, Banedon explains the purpose of your journey to Navasari, a city that lies over a hundred miles south of Tahou. 'Our enemies are advancing across Magnamund like a tidal wave, destroying or carrying with them all in their path,' says the blond-haired magician, pointing to a map of the continent that adorns the cabin wall. 'Every day a new battle is being fought, and every day we lose another town or village to the Darklords. Before we venture into Tahou we must be sure that the city has not already fallen to Darklord Gnaag, lest we fly straight into a trap. I have many friends in Navasari, reliable friends, friends who are highly placed in the Senate of Anari. From them we will learn if the city still stands, and if it does, how long we can expect it to resist a Darklord assault.'

Mid-morning of the following day, the lookout catches a glimpse of Navasari as the Skyrider emerges from the Yajo Pass. Banedon takes control of the helm and steers the craft towards the east quarter of the city, landing it on the spacious roof of a magnificent, star-shaped building that overlooks the River Chah. A group of dignitaries, resplendent in high-necked robes of green and yellow silk, greet your arrival: these are some of the friends of whom Banedon spoke. Sadly they recount the grim course of events that has recently befallen their country. In the far north, the town of Resa was destroyed and its people massacred by an army of Giaks. Two days later, a similar attack was launched by a Vassagonian army against the town of Zila.

They swept along the Anari Pass, burning and looting every village through which they rode, and giving no quarter to those who dared resist them. And three days ago, on the western border, a fierce battle was fought at the Slovian town of Lovka for control of the bridge across the River Churdas. Shortly before midnight the might of Darklord Gnaag's horde fell upon the beleaguered garrison. They fought bravely, but by the dawn of the following day, all that remained of the town and is defenders were an acre of scorched earth and a cart full of charred bones. The three enemy armies are now advancing towards Tahou. President Toltuda, the head of state, has ordered the evacuation of all women and children from the capital, and has begun strengthening the city's defences to increase its chances of withstanding the impending siege. When Banedon tells of your intention to go to Tahou, one of his friends offers a few words of caution. 'It would be unwise to attempt a landing at the capital,' he warns. 'Heavy bolt throwers have been positioned on every rooftop and tower in case the city is attacked from the air. The Darklords captured Suentina in such a fashion and the Tahouese have learnt from their neighbour's misfortune. Skyships rarely visit Tahou, which makes it all the more likely that your craft would be mistaken for a hostile attacker.'

After long deliberation, you and Banedon decide to leave the Skyrider in Navasari and journey to Tahou by horse. Nolrim is left in charge of the craft and crew with instructions to wait here for your return. If Tahou is besieged and he has not received word from you after two weeks, he is to return to Dessi and report that your quest has failed.

Early next morning, you and Banedon climb into the saddles of two white Anarian steeds provided by his friends, and set off on your two-day ride to Tahou. Less than an hour after leaving Navasari you see a long line of wagons approaching. They are escorted by a troop of cavalry, and each one is crowded with women and children.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #242
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

(I can stop and question them, or allow them to pass. I stop them.)

The officer in charge of the mounted escort rides forward to meet you. He wears silvered Anarian mail and a winged helmet embossed with the crest of Tahou.

'Hail, captain!' says Banedon, upon seeing his crown-shaped badge of rank. The man narrows his eyes and regards you both with suspicion. He is about to reach for his sword when a woman shouts from the leading wagon.

'Banedon! Banedon! Is that you?'

Your companion recognizes the woman and returns her wave. 'Lortha! By the stars, I had not expected to meet you here,' he says in a surprised tone. The captain relaxes his guard and motions to the wagons to move on, anxious that his entourage is not delayed on the highway.

'You can fall in with us or save your reunion till we reach Navasari,' he says, curtly, and rides on without waiting for a reply.

'Lortha is the wife of Chiban, a famous Tahouese magician. He was my mentor when I lived and studied in the city,' says Banedon.

(I encourage them to talk)

Banedon rides alongside the crowded wagon and talks with Lortha as the procession continues on its way to Navasari. After a few minutes' conversation she hands him a scrap of parchment, and they bid each other farewell.

'They are the last of the evacuees,' he says, as you continue your ride north. 'They expect the enemy to reach Tahou in two days' time. They've already seen Giak scouts and early this morning a squadron of Kraan were sighted high in the western skies. She advises us to steer clear of a village called Sidara. It's rumoured to have already fallen to the enemy. She also gave me this. . . .'

Banedon hands you the scrap of parchment. It contains a few lines of Anarian script, an address and a signature. 'It's an invitation to stay at Chiban and Lortha's house in Tahou. It may be useful when we reach the city gate.'

Old 11-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #243
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

For three hours we continue along our way and we enter a small hamlet. As we do, a small bell is rung and many peasants appear out of their houses with baskets of goods they want to sell us. DO I stop to look or carry on? I stop.

Most of the baskets contain food and a few contain earthenware flasks with a local wine - Boza. I purchase two Flasks of Boza. I choose not to give any money to the beggars here, because I might need it later for supplies and such, and my mission is vital. I would totally otherwise, though.

Noon arrives and we begin to see some hills. We ride near a farmhouse and the road has a branch on it, and a main sign that point along branch saying Tahou - 95 miles. I can use Pathsmanship, talk to the farm folks, stay on the highway or follow the side track. Pathsmanship tells me the sign is pointing the wrong way. Tahou is still along the main road, not the branch. I’m going to take the track to see where it goes. Why is the sign the wrong way?

Old 11-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #244
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It narrows and we begin to ride along the River Churdas. After an hour, we spy a village along the river. I am asked if I have Divination and the rank of Primate. Yup. It tells me there are enemies in the village. I choose to explore it. It appears to be deserted and then I can make out the sounds of Giak voices.

Quote:

Silently you slip from the saddle and peer around the corner. In the middle of the street beyond, a company of Giak scouts are sifting through items they have looted from the village. Two of the evil creatures are loading their booty on to the back of a Kraan, a large, black-winged creature, while the others cram their ill-gotten gains in their pockets and packs. What they cannot carry they delight in despoiling, leaving behind a trail of filth and debris in the buildings they have ransacked.

'Oka der!' shouts their officer, brandishing a long, black sword with a jagged edge. 'Akamaza ek!' His greedy soldiers are reluctant to obey his commands, but a few blows with the flat of his blade quickly change their minds. Muttering and snarling, they scurry off into a side alley, reappearing a few minutes later astride large, grey wolves. 'Rekenara kluz!' growls the officer, and the pack ride out of the village, heading north along the bank of the River Churdas.

The Kraan and its two riders take to the air, but the beast is so overburdened with loot that it cannot clear the rooftops. Frantically it beats its leathery wings, hovering erratically just a few feet off the ground. The Giaks urge it on with kicks and punches, but to no avail. Suddenly it lurches forward and the Giaks tumble headfirst on to the cobblestones a few feet from where you stand. 'Orgadaka!' they cry, as they catch sight of you and Banedon hiding at the corner.

I choose to use a bow. My arrow pierces one’s heart. I choose to use it again. The other Giak is running. I roll a die. I pierce its throat and it dies. I search the bodies of the Giaks. I find the following:

Enough food for 6 Meals (Meals)
Dagger (Weapons)
Sword (Weapons)
Silver Candlestick
Lantern
Brass Whistle
Blanket
Silver Goblet
Silk Jacket
Torch
Crystal Decanter

I can take any of it. I take the Candlestick, Decanter, Goblet, Jacket, and the Brass Whistle again. The track winds through the village and back to the main road to Tahou.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #245
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Grassland, treeless, boring, just a few hills to mark our passage. Afternoon crawls to evening and we arrive at the village of Chadi and the warmth of Guyuk’s Tavern. A single room with abed is 4 crowns and I pays it. There are no bars or counters in Anarian tavern, there are just long tables that everyone sits at, together. I get a key and a glass of lovka, a local liquor, on the house. A main, with some kids is gambling with some farmers. I can order food, talk to Guyuk or head down to gamble city.

In Anari it is illegal to gamble on games of chance, so instead people tell riddles. I choose to bet:

A hush descends as you wait for the riddle patiently. The father, whose name is Khmar, draws his dagger from its scabbard and lays it on the table. Then he rests his hand on the shoulder of his eldest son and says, 'This dagger is now half as old as my son Loen was when the dagger was new. Loen is now fifteen years old. How old is the dagger?'

5 years is the obvious answer. Loen would have been ten when it was new, so the dagger now, at 5, is half that.

I am right, and I can take two items from Khmar. I take Jadin Anklets and Scroll of Honour. I order a meal. It’s very tasty and Banedon is feeling generous and pays.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #246
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The room, which overlooks the courtyard and stables, is small yet surprisingly clean and comfortable. You sleep well, but you are rudely awoken at dawn by the clang of a brass hand-bell. Guyuk's wife is walking around the courtyard ringing it for all she's worth. 'Daybreak, daybreak! All awake, all awake!' she cries, her voice only slightly less piercing than her bell. Quickly you wash and dress before gathering together your equipment and heading for the stables. Banedon is already there, having risen before dawn to prepare the horses.

The sky is cloudless and the air is warm and still as you ride out of Chadi. Open grasslands stretch before you, broken occasionally by the low, whitewashed farm buildings and peasant dwellings. It is noon when you arrive at a mass of standing stones that line the highway approaches to the village of Phea. Banedon recalls a local legend that the Black Zakhan of Vassagonia once came to wage war on the defenceless inhabitants of Phea, who had no army. The besieged people offered up prayers to the goddess Ishir, who was sufficiently moved by their plight to cause the wicked Vassagonians to become petrified right where they stood, clad in full armour and clasping their weapons. It strikes you that the Pheans may very soon have cause to pray for Ishir's help a second time.

A mile beyond the village you see a cloud of dust on the highway.

I use Huntmastery plus Principalin for telescopic vision. It is a patrol of Anarian cavalry. I choose to ride forward and meet them. My Kai instincts confirm these are loyal rangers, and they state my purpose. We show him our Invitation. He tells us that if we stay on the highway we should reach Tahou by sunset, it’s clear for now but tomorrow could be a different story. They have found many enemy scouts in the hills, so we need speed. We thank him for the info and continue on.

After a lot of quicker riding, my afternoon we see the hills surrounding Tahou. We hurry our horses after seeing the Hills. A stone watchtower guards the entrance to the hills. Do I have Pathsmanship + Tutelary? Yup. It tells me there is an enemy in the watchtower and the huts around it, laying in ambush. But, this is the most direct way to Tahou. Make a wide detour or gallop in? I make a detour.

As we move into the hills away from the ambush, we eventually spy a small hut with a candle in the window. I choose to stop and investigate. I enter and no one is there. I use Divination and it tells me someone is under a trapdoor. I choose to open the trapdoor and pull out an old man, almost blind. I tell him he has nothing to fear from us. He is hunchbacked, marked by poverty, and a hermit out here at a gorge. The hermit offers use some of his smelly gruel, and I decide to be nice and accept. We talk, and the hermit tells us there is a cave that cuts through the hills to Tahou and shows it to us.

We enter the concealed cave. I pull out my Firesphere. After a while, we exit in a hill above a small village called Varta. It looks completely deserted, probably the people have been evacuated to moved to Tahou. After more riding, we reach Tahou.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #247
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Tahou, an ancient stronghold containing a vast city, is a formidable and wondrous sight in the moonlight, the imposing walls and towers of red stone and grey rock assume the softening sheen of velvet, and the city is often referred to as 'The velvet fortress'. Beyond the towers and high curtain wall you can see a thousand spires and minarets, grouped as thickly as the trees of a forest. Tiny lights twinkle in countless windows and portals, adding to the splendour of the mighty capital.

Near to the city's South Gate, the highway is flanked by beacons which illuminate those who approach the gatehouse. A drawbridge spans a moat of black water and, as you ride across, a bell tolls from the portcullised archway ahead.

'Two civilian riders at the South Gate,' yells a soldierly voice.

'Raise the postern,' shouts another.

There is a clatter of chains and a scraping of stone. You watch the portcullis, expecting it to rise, but it does not move, Instead, a narrow portal opens at the base of the wall and an armoured guard steps from the shadows. He motions you to enter and you follow Banedon along a corridor of stone, leading to a secure enclosure. You glance upwards to see the faces of a dozen soldiers, peering down at you from behind a parapet that encircles the high enclosure walls. All of them grasp loaded crossbows which they train on you as you move. Then a small gate creaks open and two guards appear, armed with broad-bladed spears.

'Who are you?' one demands in a gruff tone. 'Why do you seek entry to Tahou?'

(We show the Invitation)

The guards inspect the Invitation, their expressions conveying their doubt that the signature it bears is genuine. They order you to dismount and one of them hurries off to summon the gatehouse commander. Fortunately, when he arrives he recognizes Lortha's mark and allows you to leave the enclosure, although he impounds both your horses. You protest and demand that they be returned, but to no avail.

'Orders of the Senate,' says the commander, offhandedly; 'an emergency decree. All horses belonging to the civil population must be delivered into the care of the garrison stables until the state of emergency is lifted.'

Reluctantly you allow the guards to take your steeds and, as they are being led away, the commander hands you each a piece of vellum stamped with a date and a number. 'Receipts,' he explains, his tone noticeably more friendly. You pocket your Receipt (mark this as a Special Item on your Action Chart; owing to its size, you need not delete another Special Item should you already carry the maximum quota) and are about to walk away when he calls out, 'Report to the citadel first thing in the morning. You'll be allocated your battle positions for when the enemy attack.'

Leaving your horses and the South Gate tower behind, you enter a wide avenue flanked by workshops and houses, all built of red stone or rock sheathed in red plaster. The buildings themselves are small and densely packed, yet each one, no matter how humble, has a spire or tower that soars into the sky.

The large sleepy-eyed heads of stone dragons gaze down from the balconies of minarets, crowned either with bulbous, onion-shaped domes of copper, or with platforms housing engines of war recently installed.

Banedon points to an eating house and suggests that you stop there for some refreshment. Chiban's house is more than an hour's walk from here, and you are ravenous after your long ride.

I just want to get there though. Keep going.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #248
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Soon you arrive at a part of the city that Banedon remembers well. It borders a large public garden called the Rainbow Park, so named because of the vast number of rare and colourful flowers that grow there. The park is now an encampment for those who have answered the President's desperate call for defenders. Survivors from the towns of Resa and Zila have joined forces with green-clad Daroga woodsmen, tough hill-dwellers from the Chah mountain valley, and river-folk from the Churdas, forming regiments to reinforce the Tahou garrison. Their battle-stained banners, lit by the flickering glow of a hundred camp fires, flutter above the tents that fill the great park.

Opposite the entrance stands the Guildhall of Tailors. You turn into an avenue running beside this imposing hall, then cross into the North District by means of alleys and side streets, and finally emerge at Leech Street, just opposite the house of Chiban the Magician. His is a grand building of polished red stone set with small, diamond-paned windows that twinkle like cat's eyes in the moonlight. You pass beneath its arched gateway and climb the magnificent tiled steps that lead to a black oak door. Banedon raps the knocker and you wait patiently for it to open.

Minutes later the great door swings aside and the aristocratic figure of Chiban stands framed in the doorway. Keen-eyed and grey-haired, he welcomes you both with surprise and delight.

'Banedon!' he exclaims, like a father reunited with a long lost son. 'How good it is to see you. But what brings you to Tahou at this darkest of hours? Have you come to offer your skills in the defence of our beleaguered city?'

'My services are yours to command, my lord Chiban,' answers Banedon, bowing respectfully to his former mentor. 'Yet also I return to your esteemed household to seek your help at the behest of King Ulnar of Sommerlund. May I introduce my companion--Lone Wolf.'

Chiban turns his kindly gaze on you and smiles knowingly. 'I am honoured to meet you, Kai Lord,' he says. 'I have knowledge of that which you seek and I shall aid you all I can in your search for it.'

He beckons you to enter and the door closes behind you, seemingly of its own accord. You follow Chiban to his study. The musty room is lined with massive wooden racks full of books and papers. At its centre a large, circular table is completely covered with the implements of his magical researches. He clears a space amid the clutter and motions you to sit. 'You must both be famished after your journey here. Come, eat and enjoy!' For a few seconds, a shimmering pool of light fills the space, then fades, leaving a sumptuous meal of grilled trout, baked potatoes, hakeroot and sparkling Anarian wine.

If you have lost any ENDURANCE points on your adventure so far, you may now restore 3 points as you consume this delicious meal.

When you have finished your meal, you talk at length about your journey from Dessi and your quest for the Lorestone of Tahou. Chiban produces a map of the city, which he unfurls on the floor of his study, the only surface not cluttered with magical equipment. With his toe he points to the location of the Tahou Cauldron: it is in the Square of the Dragons in the West District of the city.

'The Cauldron is a funnel-shaped hollow with a circular shaft at its base. The shaft descends to the ruins of the ancient city of Zaaryx, 500 feet below the streets of Tahou. Legend tells us that the Lorestone was thrown into the Cauldron to prevent the Black Zakhan of Vassagonia from capturing it during the Great Khordaim War. The shaft was closed off and has remained sealed for the past 360 years.' He looks up from the map and you notice that his smiling features are now sad and composed.

'At dawn the armies of Darklord Gnaag will be at the gates of the city and the battle of Tahou will have begun. My duty is here, in the defence of my beloved city, otherwise I would willingly accompany you on our search. There is only one man who can help you now, for he is the only one that can grant you access to the shaft that descends to Zaaryx. He is President Toltuda of Anari. Come, I will arrange an audience with him immediately.'

With a casual wave of his hand, Chiban conjures up a quill and sheet of parchment. He begins to dictate the request for an audience, and the quill moves of its own accord, as if guided by an invisible hand. The request, once completed, is then dispatched by messenger to the Anarium, the House of the Senate, where members of the governing council have gathered for an emergency assembly called for by the President himself. Within the hour the messenger returns with a scroll bearing the presidential seal.

'He has agreed to hear your plea, Lone Wolf,' says the aged magician, his ice-blue eyes scanning the official reply. Banedon congratulates you and you feel your spirits rise, but Chiban seems a little disappointed. 'I was expecting a private audience,' he says, 'but in view of the current situation, I suppose it is the best we can hope for. You must appear before the Senate this evening and state your reasons for wishing to enter the Tahou Cauldron. They will consider your request and vote accordingly. If they grant their approval, only you may enter. If they forbid you entry, you may not appeal against it. Their decision will be final.'

He hands you the scroll and arranges for his personal coach to take you to the Anarium. As you climb into the passenger seat, he and Banedon wish you good luck. 'I shall pray for your success,' says Chiban. 'And I shall pray that we are still alive to see your triumphant return, old friend,' says Banedon, as you exchange a farewell wave.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #249
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The great flagstoned precinct at the entrance to the Anarium is packed with hundreds of people. Senate officials, soldiers and citizens crowd the steps that give access to the grand foyer and outer chambers of the hall. You notice that a side entrance is being used exclusively by army scouts who arrive with dispatches and leave with orders for the lookouts hidden in the surrounding hills. You take a calculated gamble and order the carriage driver to draw up at the side entrance. This bold move pays off; upon seeing your presidential scroll not only do the guards allow you into the Anarium, but you are escorted to the Appellant's Gallery inside the assembly hall itself.

From your seat in the gallery you stare down at an oval hall, ringed by twelve arches beneath which the senators of Anari sit upon their throne-like chairs of lacquered oak. President Toltuda occupies a seat in the centre of the hall and presides over a heated discussion that is raging back and forth. Having heard all sides of the argument he calls for a vote, and the issue is decided by a show of hands.

'We now come to a quite extraordinary matter, which has been raised by one of our most eminent citizens,' says President Toltuda, introducing your appeal to the Senate. He turns to the gallery and calls out, 'Sommlending Lord, Lone Wolf, please make yourself known to the assembly.'

You rise from your seat and bow to the senators. 'Please present your request to us, Lone Wolf,' says the President, and a hush descends on the hall as you explain the purpose of your journey to Tahou. When you have finished, the President calls upon the senators to speak.

'I say we should help the Sommlending,' pipes the shrill voice of Senator Zilaris. 'If he finds the Lorestone, its power could turn the tide and save Tahou from the clutches of Darklord Gnaag.' A murmur of agreement stirs in the hall.

'And I say we should refuse to open the Cauldron,' booms the powerful voice of Senator Chil. 'I say that if it were not for his presence in our city, we would be spared the attention of the Darklords. He is the object of their anger and spite. I say we should give him to them, and in doing so we will save our city, our country, our people and ourselves!' A surge of support echoes from the arches, and your skin prickles at the thought of what could happen. President Toltuda calls for a vote to decide whether the Senate should allow you to enter the Cauldron, or use you to bargain for peace with the Darklords.

Tensely you await the result. The votes are cast and counted and the Senate is split evenly: six votes for you and six votes against. The decision now rests with the President himself. He must cast the deciding vote.

(I must pick a number. I roll a…2)

Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #250
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Standing beside the President's chair is a solid marble plinth with a bronze beacon--the Anarian symbol of law and order--fixed to the top. The President moves his hand to the padded arm of his chair and presses a button. All eyes are on the beacon. There is a flash of ignition and a jet of green flame roars upwards towards the domed ceiling

'The Senate votes to aid your quest, Lone Wolf,' says Senator Zilaris. 'Come, we will escort you to the Square of the Dragons and make preparation for the Cauldron to be opened.'

The assembly is dissolved and the state coaches are summoned to take you and all the senators to the Tahou Cauldron. You share a carriage with the President, Senator Zilaris, and Senator Chil, who is anxious to apologize for opposing the majority vote. 'I trust you will forgive me, Lone Wolf,' he says, unctuously. 'I merely proposed what I thought was best for my country, but I now realize I was wrong.' You nod benignly, in the hope that he will cease his fawning. He smiles and turns to the President. 'Sir, I feel I must make amends for my misguided action in the Senate. If Lone Wolf is to enter the Cauldron tonight, surely it is our duty to ensure that he is adequately equipped. I propose that we visit one of my warehouses, where he is free to take anything he requires.'

The President agrees and the carriage is redirected to a warehouse near the Square of the Dragons. Senator Chil has many business interests in the city, and he supplies much of the weaponry and armour that equips the army. His warehouse is full of supplies, and you are encouraged to take whatever you need. From the vast stores you select the following:

Rope
Short Sword
Blanket
Mace
Bow
Flask of Water
6 Arrows
Quiver
Broadsword
Lantern
Dagger

I fill up my quiver. I take Senator Chil’s Mace. Sorry about all of the quotes, but there was a ton of exposition, and I felt it was better just to quote it. I am a little disappointed that I rolled a 2. The other one, when you don’t win, it a lot more fun. It involves you finding the Tahou crime elements and getting their help with an alternate route to the underground city. It’s a lot more fun. Ah well, let me finish this up:

Quote:

In addition to your supplies, Senator Chil provides the winch, ropes and cradle by which you will be lowered into the shaft that descends to Zaaryx. Upon your arrival at the Square of the Dragons he supervises the assembly of these vital components, while you stand with Senator Zilaris and stare in awe at the Cauldron itself.

In the glow of a hundred lanterns it takes on the appearance of a huge, steep-sided sink that is stoppered with a plug of stone. The key to this plug is a rod of Korlinium that, until this evening, was kept locked in the vaults of the Anarium. Now it rests in the hands of the President. Senator Chil signals that his work is complete and the President inserts the crystal rod into the plug of ancient stone. At first nothing happens. Then you sense a vibration beneath your feet. Crackling tongues of pale blue fire lap the rim of the plug and the hiss of escaping air breaks the seal of three centuries' grime that holds the plug in place. Levers and ropes are brought into action and slowly the great block is lifted and the shaft to Zaaryx uncovered.

'There will be troops posted here at the Cauldron, ready day and night to pull you up when you are ready to leave Zaaryx,' says Senator Zilaris, as he helps you into the cradle that will lower you into the shaft. 'Just give the rope three stout tugs--that is the signal.'

Senator Chil appears to tell you everything is prepared for your descent. 'Good luck, Lone Wolf. I hope I will be here to welcome your safe and successful return, and that you will come to know me as a friend.'

The cradle rises and you are swung into position above the entrance. You stare down into the black abyss, your pulse quickening as a damp and icy wind whistles out of the shaft, carrying with it the cloying smell of decay.

With a wave, you signal your readiness and you are slowly lowered into the void.