Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #2651
Pyser
Pro Rookie

uh, so why did a movie that only made you smile, a comedy no less, get a 7?

ya'll are lenient
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #2652
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
uh, so why did a movie that only made you smile, a comedy no less, get a 7?

ya'll are lenient

I like the word shenanigans, probably my favourite word in the English language if I was forced to pick one... so that scene with the word was awesome.

I am pretty lenient with movies scores. If it gets below a 6, that's when the movie just flat-out sucked.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #2653
Lorena
Unregistered

Sometimes I'm too harsh. A 6 to me means enjoyable and above average, a 9 would be great and I'll watch again, a 10 means something I never tire of. Anything under a 5 would be lame.

I blame Netflix for influencing the way I rate movies.

Last edited by Lorena : 12-17-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #2654
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I like the word shenanigans, probably my favourite word in the English language if I was forced to pick one... so that scene with the word was awesome.

I am pretty lenient with movies scores. If it gets below a 6, that's when the movie just flat-out sucked.

You should review videogames.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #2655
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

So basically you rate movies on a scale of 5-10?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #2656
MrDNA
High School Varsity

The Prestige 6/10 Entertaining, if a little too predictable in its twists. Would've scored higher if not for some of the characters acting rather out of character

The Illusionist 4/10 Wow, if you've ever read the story don't watch the movie and vice versa. Pretty trite, but it had Jessica Biel and since it was a period piece my girlfriend didn't mind me staring at her.

Well, that's my take on the 2006 magic movies. Next up, will I take on the 1998 asteroid movies?
Spoiler
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #2657
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
The Prestige 6/10 Entertaining, if a little too predictable in its twists. Would've scored higher if not for some of the characters acting rather out of character

The Illusionist 4/10 Wow, if you've ever read the story don't watch the movie and vice versa. Pretty trite, but it had Jessica Biel and since it was a period piece my girlfriend didn't mind me staring at her.

Well, that's my take on the 2006 magic movies. Next up, will I take on the 1998 asteroid movies?
Spoiler

Based on your statements for The Prestige I think you need to rewatch the movie and pay attention more. Every character in that movie acts EXACTLY within their character.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #2658
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Prestige
Spoiler
Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #2659
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Grosse Point Blank 9/10

I saw this movie in the theater when it came out and have seen it a few times since, but I just happened to come across it again last night on one of those free Encore movie channels. Damn is this movie good. I love it. I've always been a big John Cusack fan and this is easily one of my favorite movies of his. Very funny. Top notch all the way.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #2660
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I actually watched that on Encore last night at about 1 in the morning, Blue. Good shit.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #2661
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I actually watched that on Encore last night at about 1 in the morning, Blue. Good shit.

Yeah, the one I watched started around 10:30 or 11:00 or so. They love playing their movies back-to-back on the various Encores. I would also be remiss for not commenting on the super sweet soundtrack. I love that soundtrack.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #2662
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yeah, the one I watched started around 10:30 or 11:00 or so. They love playing their movies back-to-back on the various Encores. I would also be remiss for not commenting on the super sweet soundtrack. I love that soundtrack.

Definitely. Surprised they never won any awards for it.

Also surprised the director never directed anything else, unless you call The Big Bounce something.

John Cusack is underrated. The night before while staying up late they had High Fidelity on one of the movie channels. Another AWESOME movie.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #2663
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

War of the Worlds 7/10

Maybe I give it a 7 because it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. I tried hard not to think too hard on some points* and tried to enjoy the movie for what it was and that made it work for me.

* - the aliens will destroy everything in sight and yet delicately search the basement of that farmhouse? Or, even if that is the way it is, they don't have some sort of infrared vision to detect our heat sources.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #2664
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
So basically you rate movies on a scale of 5-10?

Yeah I guess so. But I will still give, say a 3/10 to The Incredible Hulk (Ang Lee)... it just takes a lot to get a movie that low for me.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:37 PM   #2665
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You should review videogames.

Haha.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #2666
Johnny93g
College Starter

On the 54th page, the Prestige scores a 6/10, while war of the worlds gets a 7/10

BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:54 PM   #2667
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
On the 54th page, the Prestige scores a 6/10, while war of the worlds gets a 7/10

Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks...
Old 12-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #2668
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Gran Torino - 6/10

Tough one to review. Very tough. So, I'll just ramble for a moment..

I'm a huge fan of trailers. I consider a movie trailer a work of art on it's own. There have been movies with amazing trailers that were horrible, and trailers that were horrible that in the end the film was very good. But still, my initial expectations are set by a movie trailer. I don't put too much into the trailers as to what the film will be, but it is my initial, and very basic expectation.

The trailer for Gran Torino honestly let me down a little. I had heard reports that this would be Clint Eastwoods last film, although I'm not sure if that is both in front of the camera and behind the camera. It may just be in front of the camera. So, when I first heard that I was a little saddened, but I knew the time had to come, if not already being passed. But I wanted this to be an amazing send off.

When the movie was over, I had mixed emotions. Thinking about it, the movie was entirely way to predictable. It was the basic formula for redemption films.. times ten. The dialogue at first I thought was not good at all, but after thinking about it, I think it maybe have been more of a result of the actors, and here is where I think was the films downfall.

Clint Eastwood plays a retired Korean War vet. He worked in a Ford plant for fifty years. He is a grouchy, miserable old man, who is extremely racist. Especially towards asian. He lives in an asian neighborhood, a community of Hmong people.

The Hmong actors in this film actually from an acting standpoint may ruin the film for some people. The people they chose for the movie just really have trouble conveying any real emotion without sounding like they are trying way too hard. There are some points in the movie where the movie could have been strong if there were just better actors to deliver it to you.

Also, I felt the ending was rushed. Just didn't give me the emotional closing that I wanted.

But, in the end, I would recommend this to my friends. If it is Clint Eastwoods last ride, then why wouldn't you watch it? That alone had me sold, whether it was an absolute shit movie or not. Even with the pitfalls, there are still strongpoints in this movie. Like I said, the pacing is well done. It may be predictable, but just because a movie is predictable doesn't mean I wouldn't watch it. It's definitely worth the price of admission, and definitely worth a DVD rental. Hell, I'll end up buying it just to add to my Clint Eastwood collection.

Don't go in expecting an Unforgiven, Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, or a Letters From Iwo Jima directing from Clint. Or a A Fistful of Dollars, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, or Unforgiven in front of the camera. Just enjoy watching Clint for quite possibly the last time in a major role.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:14 PM   #2669
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post

They rated about the same for me. Prestige intrigued me, but all the backstabbing and twisting left me with no one really to root for, so it brought it down a little. And while plot holes and Tom Cruise trying to play a "regular guy" are severe stretches for WOTW, the alien machines and effects and cinematography were all excellent, well done, and, frankly, pretty damn frightening. Just don't ask me to explain about how the freakin' kid was not only okay but ended up in Boston ahead of his dad.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #2670
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Appaloosa: 9/10

Really well done. Acting was incredible. Ed Harris wrote it, directed, and played the main role and did an excellent job at everything.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:48 PM   #2671
MrDNA
High School Varsity

King of Kong 8/10: Really, really well documentary that's actually about so much more than video games.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #2672
rowech
Pro Starter

I Am Legend (8/10) -- Definitely liked this a lot more than I thought I would. Sorry I waited so long to see it.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #2673
Bonegavel

Life Aquatic - 10/10

So many people told me this movie sucked that I avoided it for all these years. I should've know better. There is so much in this movie I'm going to need to buy it in order to appreciate it all (since I've started Netflix, I've stopped purchasing DVDs/Blu-Rays).

Anderson's is a genius in many ways but I think he greatest talent is choice of music (never hurts to have Mark Mothersbaugh on board for original music). Seu Jorge's covers of David Bowie were brilliant (both in the way they sounded and the way they were in the movie). And Queen Bitch at the end just felt like there was no other song on earth that would have worked and that song just feels like quintessential Wes Anderson.

If I had to pick my favorite scene (after only 1 viewing) I would say it was the scene on the Belefonte where Pele was playing "Major Tom" and the Pirates were closing in. As he starts the countdown part of the song the boarding-ladder goes up.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #2674
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
In Bruges is an awesome film is so many ways. It's a shame that it's still so unknown.

Randomly watched this on demand yesterday and really liked it, not having heard a bit about it beforehand. Colin Farrell did a great job, I was very surprised.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #2675
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Slumdog Millionaire - 9.6/10 - Stunningly beautiful. A great story told exceedingly well, never slow or sappy. Everything about it was just about perfect - the plot was fun to follow, the acting was great, the cuts from present to the past were spot on - just a joy to behold. The best movie I've seen in years. You are really doing yourself a disservice if you miss this.

I agree, I thought it was one of the most enjoyable films that I've seen this decade.

It's funny--I didn't really like Trainspotting that much...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #2676
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Life Aquatic - 10/10

So many people told me this movie sucked that I avoided it for all these years. I should've know better. There is so much in this movie I'm going to need to buy it in order to appreciate it all (since I've started Netflix, I've stopped purchasing DVDs/Blu-Rays).

Anderson's is a genius in many ways but I think he greatest talent is choice of music (never hurts to have Mark Mothersbaugh on board for original music). Seu Jorge's covers of David Bowie were brilliant (both in the way they sounded and the way they were in the movie). And Queen Bitch at the end just felt like there was no other song on earth that would have worked and that song just feels like quintessential Wes Anderson.

If I had to pick my favorite scene (after only 1 viewing) I would say it was the scene on the Belefonte where Pele was playing "Major Tom" and the Pirates were closing in. As he starts the countdown part of the song the boarding-ladder goes up.

Funny how impressions work. I would give a lot to get back the two hours of my life taken from me by watching this film. To each their own.

But I admit I am not a Wes Anderson advocate and don't really get the fascination.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #2677
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Randomly watched this on demand yesterday and really liked it, not having heard a bit about it beforehand. Colin Farrell did a great job, I was very surprised.

I also watched this last night actually. I agree, quirky dark comedy, that made me unexpected laugh hard several times. Everyone in it was excellent, including Farrell. Interesting ending, too.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #2678
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm a fan of Wes Anderson. Darjeeling Limited gets a 10/10 from me - its pretty much perfect.

Life Aquatic I consider a lesser work.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #2679
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Is there a site where you can submit your reviews like we are here, but then it will suggest movies other users similar to you liked? If not, one of you better go make one, because this idea is GOLD.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #2680
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Is there a site where you can submit your reviews like we are here, but then it will suggest movies other users similar to you liked? If not, one of you better go make one, because this idea is GOLD.

Netflix has a nice system.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #2681
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Funny how impressions work. I would give a lot to get back the two hours of my life taken from me by watching this film. To each their own.

But I admit I am not a Wes Anderson advocate and don't really get the fascination.

+1 on that. 10/10 is rare air and should be saved for real classics. The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Braveheart - Guess these should be 20/10.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #2682
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Nothing quite like criticizing someones opinion. I mean, how dare they feel that way?

Fuck, I would probably give Freddy Got Fingered a 9/10, and most everyone hates that movie. I would give Braveheart a lower score than Freddy Got Fingered.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 12-21-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #2683
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I would give Braveheart a lower score than Freddy Got Fingered.

big fat lol here.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #2684
tarcone
Coordinator

The Wizard of Oz 10/10

What else could I give it. I havent watched it in years but did tonight with my 7 year old daughter. She loved it. And I found it enjoyable. It is a great family film and a must see for anyone with young children.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #2685
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
+1 on that. 10/10 is rare air and should be saved for real classics. The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, Goodfellas, Braveheart - Guess these should be 20/10.

I don't know how to explain it but as I watched Life Aquatic it was as if the movie was made just for me. Everything clicked and that has never happened before. There is so much meat in this movie that it is hard to fathom (pun intended).

Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #2686
rowech
Pro Starter

Hancok (5/10) -- Just felt there were about 50 writers trying to pull this movie 50 different ways an in the end it fell flat for me.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #2687
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Definitely. Surprised they never won any awards for it.

Also surprised the director never directed anything else, unless you call The Big Bounce something.

John Cusack is underrated. The night before while staying up late they had High Fidelity on one of the movie channels. Another AWESOME movie.

I just saw both of these, as well.

I love Grosse Point Blank, but High Fidelity is one of my favorite movies ever. Anytime I am flipping through and it is on, I always end up watching it until the end. I definitely reccommend High Fidelity to anyone who has not seen it yet.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #2688
Brownkeg8
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I don't know how to explain it but as I watched Life Aquatic it was as if the movie was made just for me. Everything clicked and that has never happened before. There is so much meat in this movie that it is hard to fathom (pun intended).

Nothing wrong with your opinion. Just personally feel a 10 in any category is as good as it gets and something that will stand the test of time and leave that same feeling the 2nd, 5th, 10th time viewed, read or listened to.
Brownkeg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #2689
Pyser
Pro Rookie

life aquatic only gets better on repeat viewings...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #2690
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownkeg8 View Post
Nothing wrong with your opinion. Just personally feel a 10 in any category is as good as it gets and something that will stand the test of time and leave that same feeling the 2nd, 5th, 10th time viewed, read or listened to.

And not everyone feels like the movies you listed would qualify for a 10 under those criteria. Braveheart is way overrated, and Shawshank to an extent as well. On the other hand, LA Confidential is the greatest film of all time.

Different strokes.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #2691
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
life aquatic only gets better on repeat viewings...

Really? How many tines do I need to watch it before it becomes "watchable"?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #2692
tarcone
Coordinator

I kept thinking of Life Aquatic as the crappy movie with Bill Murray. I kept thinking you guys were talking about a different movie. So I googled it and lo and behold you guys are talking about the one with Bill Murray. Terrible movie.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #2693
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
And not everyone feels like the movies you listed would qualify for a 10 under those criteria. Braveheart is way overrated, and Shawshank to an extent as well. On the other hand, LA Confidential is the greatest film of all time.

Different strokes.

WOW, I didn't care too much for Life Aquatic. But I think Braveheart was one of those rare instances where the Ocsar for best picture was actually spot on. It is a tremendous picture and stands the test of time.

I agree rating movies can be very individual. For example, of pictures mentioned in this discussion I really enjoyed Darjeeling Limited. I would probably rate it an 8 overall which is very high in my book. Although on places like Netflix it tends to get a very average rating.

But I am surprised that you would rate Life Aquatic above Braveheart and Shawshank Redemption. It sounds like we just have drastically different tastes in movies. But to each his own. I'm glad you liked the movie. The more diverse the range of flicks that Hollywood makes, the better for all.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #2694
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd rate "Life Aquatic" over "Shawshank Redemption", but that's mostly because I think Shawshank is incredibly overrated.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #2695
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

TBH I liked Life Aquatic, but didn't love it (other than Tennenbaums I have difficulty connecting emotionally with Anderson's movies). I was more responding to the thought that it couldn't get a 10 because its not as good as movies x, y, and z. Not everyone thinks x, y, and z are that good.

My favorite movies made during the 28 years I've been alive (LA Confidential, Casino, Wall-E) are probably not at the top of most others' lists. To a lot of people, Life Aquatic will stand the test of time and leave the same feeling years later.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #2696
MikeVic
Head Coach

Shawshank is the movie that made me want to watch movies (other than the stuff I would see on TV), so I have to rank it in my top 3.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #2697
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Shawshank is the movie that made me want to watch movies (other than the stuff I would see on TV), so I have to rank it in my top 3.

I understand people not liking Braveheart but I just don't see anyone can't see the perfection that is Shawshank. Perfect story, perfect acting, perfect purprose of the movie.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #2698
Logan
Head Coach

Granted I haven't read every post, but I believe this thread made it in excess of 50 pages over 3.5 years without people bashing others' taste in movies.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #2699
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Australia: 8/10: There are some really hard to believe moments in the movie but if you are one of those people like myself who truly "immerse" yourself in a movie, this was a good one. Oh, and the movie is really, really long.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #2700
Pyser
Pro Rookie

braveheart is a laughable film in so many ways.