Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2022, 10:13 PM   #301
Thomkal
Head Coach

Serena not ready to say good bye yet-beats the #2 seed in 3 sets tonight
Old 09-01-2022, 07:13 AM   #302
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Shocking, given how she played in the couple of matches leading up to the Open. I didn't think she'd get out of the 1st round. Pretty amazing, although the women's side is a mess. #2 in the world doesn't mean all that much when no one has really stepped up and been a consistently great player for some time. So she picked the right time to make a run.

On the men's side, I was surprised at FAA going down.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:41 PM   #303
Thomkal
Head Coach

:::applauds Serena:::

She lost in 3 sets tonight
Old 09-02-2022, 09:52 PM   #304
Ksyrup

I'm guessing the worst part about this loss is she should have won in straight sets.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-02-2022, 10:54 PM   #305
PilotMan
Head Coach

Age, pressure and endurance really, really played a part. Having said that, she's a lot better than she was at Wimbledon, but life is just catching up to her and you can't beat father time. She's 40, has had 2 kids, and it's incredible that she's still able to play at the level that she did.

Her opponent played very, very well. Didn't let the pressure of the situation get her, and she didn't make many unforced errors. Just pushed Serena around the court and let her tire herself out as the match went on. She was a tough opponent.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 09-02-2022 at 10:55 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:10 PM   #306
Ksyrup

Tiafoe took advantage of an off-night for Nadal to register the biggest win of his career. Second time since 2005 that none of the big 3 make the QF at a major.

Alcaraz-Cilic promises to be a great match, but I have to be up for work at 5:30 so there's no way I'm getting watch much of it.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:22 PM   #307
Thomkal
Head Coach

Nice to see an American male beat a top 5 player for a change.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:40 PM   #308
Ksyrup

Alcaraz-Sinner are 2 sets into an amazing match, 1 set each.

If Alcaraz can win, he'll be #1 in the world (with the obvious proviso that Novak has missed some tournaments due to his vaccination status). Sinner looks to join him up there soon as well.

This is special stuff:

Old 09-08-2022, 07:24 AM   #309
Ksyrup

Well, I made it to 1am only to watch Alcaraz get bageled in the tiebreaker and go down 2 sets to 1. I wake up this morning, and he pulled the damn thing out. Second longest US Open match ever, just short of the record by 10 minutes. WOW!

If he and Ruud make the finals, whoever wins would be the new #1. If it's Alcaraz, he'd be the youngest men's #1 in the Open era.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #310
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well, I made it to 1am only to watch Alcaraz get bageled in the tiebreaker and go down 2 sets to 1. I wake up this morning, and he pulled the damn thing out. Second longest US Open match ever, just short of the record by 10 minutes. WOW!

If he and Ruud make the finals, whoever wins would be the new #1. If it's Alcaraz, he'd be the youngest men's #1 in the Open era.

Does he play Tiafoe next? That would be great for him to get Alcaraz on tired legs
Old 09-08-2022, 11:15 AM   #311
Ksyrup

Yes
Old 09-09-2022, 10:59 PM   #312
Ksyrup

Another 5 setter. Alcaraz is just a machine.

Alcaraz versus Ruud for the US Open and #1 ranking. If this is what a post-Big 3 looks like, I'm all for it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-09-2022 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:57 AM   #313
Thomkal
Head Coach

Too bad for Tiafoe. Thought when it made it to a 5th set, that Alcaraz would not be up to it anymore but alas not to be, should be a great final if he can do that again.

I'm curious what this 2 weeks at the Open does for Tiafoe now. Does he build on it and become one of the challengers for the top player in tennis, or does he fall in the first round in the next tournament he is in to someone ranked #86?
Old 09-11-2022, 06:40 PM   #314
Ksyrup

Alcaraz in 4 sets!
Old 09-15-2022, 08:50 AM   #315
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

First Serena. Now Fed.

Time still undefeated.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #316
Ksyrup

I figured this was coming. Officially, he was going to try a comeback next year but it wouldn't have gone well. I know Serena has been the big focus, but Venus is still out there playing and losing nearly every match (I think she's won a couple of grand slam 1st round matches and that's it in the past 2 years). I doubt Federer was interested in that kind of end to his career, especially after what he's endured the past 3 years.
Old 09-22-2022, 01:40 PM   #317
Ksyrup

Stan Wawrinka with easily his biggest win since all of the injuries derailed him, beating Medvedev in 3 sets.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:15 PM   #318
Ksyrup

Federer's last match (a doubles match with Nadal) is some great tennis. He's playing well. It's in the 10 point tiebreaker that decides it after 2 sets.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:56 AM   #319
whomario
Pro Starter

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:01 AM   #320
Thomkal
Head Coach

Crazy men's tennis at AUS Open. #1 seed not there and #1 seed Nadal and #2 Ruud both lose to American's and both were almost 3 sets with Ruud coming back to from 3 match points down to take the third and then lose pretty easily in the 4th.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:51 AM   #321
Ksyrup

I watched the third set of the Brooksby match against Ruud and figured there was no point staying up any later because Brooksby had blown it and was out of gas. I was shocked to see he regrouped and won the 4th set fairly easily. His demeanor during the game he blew 3 match points and the rest of that set was about as bad as it could be - not losing his temper or anything, but showing how exhausted he was. He looked like he was in tears and kept bending over, going to a knee, putting his hands on the back wall. I thought for sure he would easily lose the last 2 sets or maybe even retire. Good for him to pull that out. But keep it inside, young man. You have Ruud plenty of ammo to know how to attack you in those games.

Speaking of guys who don't give up, how about Andy Murray? Won his second 5 set match, this time coming from 2 sets down and winning in 5.5 hours in a match that ended after 4am local time. He's playing on an artificial hip! He's had a way more competitive comeback from injury than anyone could imagine. What a competitor.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:09 PM   #322
Thomkal
Head Coach

yeah thought Brooksby was going to fade pretty quickly there after he lost the third set. Looked like he was getting pretty bad cramps. All kudos to him for sticking it out and taking control of the fourth. Now then if Djokivic can lose to an American now, it will probably be my favorite Aussie Open ever

Murray with an artificial hip is just amazing. Two long matches to start though are going to have an effect going forward though.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:41 AM   #323
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've always felt sorry for Murray. At his peak he just didn't have quite enough shotmaking to consistently beat Federer, and his body couldn't hold up to the grind enough to do the same against Djokovic. Aside from his second serve though, he really put a lot into improving almost all parts of his game and has been a good example of what a sportsman should be in so many ways.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #324
Ksyrup

Just watching the end of the Rublev/Rune match now. Wow. 5 sets, Rune lost his serve serving for the match in the 5th set and was up 5-0 in the tiebreaker (final set TB goes to 10, not 7), and Rublev ended up winning.

Also a pretty great American 5-setter with Shelton (of UF) beating Wolf (of OSU). Meanwhile, Tommy Paul keeps winning and now it will be either him or Shelton in the semifinals.

EDIT: And the last point of the Rublev match was won on a ball that hit the tape and dropped over. What a gut punch.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-23-2023 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:01 AM   #325
Ksyrup

Djokovic appears to be a machine.

I've never fully liked the guy - I don't even know if it's all on his personality so much as his game is just so bland. Amazingly efficient and damn near perfect, but nothing that really stands out (mainly because he's uniformly great), and there's nothing that makes me root for him. But he's certainly on his way to an argument (or maybe no argument) for greatest of all time.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:09 PM   #326
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
yeah thought Brooksby was going to fade pretty quickly there after he lost the third set. Looked like he was getting pretty bad cramps. All kudos to him for sticking it out and taking control of the fourth. Now then if Djokivic can lose to an American now, it will probably be my favorite Aussie Open ever

Murray with an artificial hip is just amazing. Two long matches to start though are going to have an effect going forward though.

One last chance for my dream to come true here, but unfortunately Djokivic is looking unstoppable right now. I don't want his COVID stance to be rewarded with a major.

I must say its nice to see American men doing so well in this tourney-Shelton and Paul both looking like they can get to the top 5 and Shelton not even out of college yet. A bunch looking like they can be Top 30 material too.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:31 PM   #327
Butter
Coordinator

TBF Shelton had a really easy path to the quarters. But he still had to win his matches to get there
Old 08-31-2023, 02:12 PM   #328
Ksyrup

Well, to put a bow on this thread, John Isner announced that he is retiring after the US Open. He just lost in the 2nd round to Michael Mmoh after being up 2 sets to none, had a match point, and lost in a 10 point 5th set tiebreaker. Mmoh is handling the moment in a very classy way, basically deferring discussion of the win to give him a shout out.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-31-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:49 PM   #329
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well, to put a bow on this thread, John Isner announced that he is retiring after the US Open. He just lost in the 2nd round to Michael Mmoh after being up 2 sets to none, had a match point, and lost in a 10 point 5th set tiebreaker. Mmoh is handling the moment in a very classy way, basically deferring discussion of the win to give him a shout out.

Very sad to see him lose that way to end his career. Last I saw he is playing with fellow retiring after the Open Jack Sock in Men's Doubles. Hope they go far.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:05 AM   #330
Thomkal
Head Coach

So here I was all ready to talk about an all-american wonen's final in the US Open...when I went to bed Coco Gauff had already made it and Madison Keys had won her first set 6-0...um yeah Go Coco! I thought we might have a drought of elite women with the Williams sisters nearly gone but doesn't look that way right now.

On the men's side nice to see a new American face in the men semis today. Can he finally be the American to reach elite status? Will be very tough going with the #1, 2. and 3 seeds still left in the draw. Hope Shelton can show sign of life and take a set from Djokovic at least
Old 09-09-2023, 07:02 PM   #331
Thomkal
Head Coach

So CoCo Gauff won the Open today, sure would have been nice to see it Spectrum/Disney.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:24 PM   #332
Ksyrup

I suppose this has turned into the de facto general tennis thread.

Anyway, Alcaraz and Sinner are putting on an amazing display at Indian Wells right now. Delayed by rain for quite some time. This after Alcaraz had a match earlier in the week delayed by bee invasion.

These guys are fighting for #2 in the world, but with Djokovic losing early in this tourney and pulling out of Miami, we could be looking at the next wave of Nadal/Federer with these two young studs.