Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #3851
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I know it's network so shouldn't really count, but I'm watching it on Paramount+ so it's a steaming loophole.

Quite liked Quantum Leap 2022 first episode. Sure some of the acting is poor even by network TV standards, but it's got a healthy chunk of the original cheesiness so it's a winner for me.

Loved the original when I was young, so I watched. I thought it was just kind of meh. They spent a lot of time in the control room, making the leap itself underdeveloped, and it didn't have the same fun/humor the Sam/Al relationship had. That said, I'll watch some more and see if they find their stride.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 09-22-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:58 PM   #3852
RainMaker
General Manager

New Quantum Leap is well written but holy shit they got some bad actors in it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #3853
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Andor. Big thumbs up

Srsly?

My wall has been filled with absolute hate for every single aspect of it. "I give up, the franchise has been murdered" level of hate.

Giant {shrug} to me, I was merely surprised to see someone say anything good about it after seeing a reliable flow of vitriol otherwise.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #3854
PilotMan
Head Coach

You live in a backward world though, where up is down and losing is winning and massively positive reviews are bad.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:13 PM   #3855
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You live in a backward world though, where up is down and losing is winning and massively positive reviews are bad.

It's not really something I care about one way or another, only reason I know it even exists because I was seeing it savaged by every person on my socials who commented on it (half dozen, give or take). And they're actually a pretty diverse group literally covering both coasts and about a four decade age range.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:02 PM   #3856
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's the best Star Wars show outside of The Mandalorian if it continues the level from Episodes 1-3.

Maybe the slow burn approach and the lack of light sabers, explosions, and blasters was their problem?

Last edited by Kodos : 09-22-2022 at 07:12 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 01:16 AM   #3857
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Srsly?

My wall has been filled with absolute hate for every single aspect of it. "I give up, the franchise has been murdered" level of hate.

Giant {shrug} to me, I was merely surprised to see someone say anything good about it after seeing a reliable flow of vitriol otherwise.

I wasn’t convinced it needed to exist but now that it’s out there I’m happy they made it. It’s mining a good time period with some great storytelling so far. I’m happy none of the skywalker stuff is in it.

It’s (potentially) as good as the Mandalorian and so far better than Obi Wan and the disappointing Boba Fett show.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:06 AM   #3858
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I just finished Sins of our Mother, a 3-episode documentary about the story a few years ago where 2 kids went missing and their mother and stepfather refused to tell anyone where they were or what happened to them. Absolutely bonkers.

I don't even remember this story. I spent all three episodes just saying "How?" and "What?".

I will never understand our legal system.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #3859
molson
General Manager

I'm pretty sure there's people who watch all the Star Wars stuff but hate everything since Empire Strikes Back.

Last edited by molson : 09-23-2022 at 10:43 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:18 AM   #3860
Kodos
Resident Alien

That’s my brother-in-law. He especially seems to resent having strong female characters.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-23-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:38 AM   #3861
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just watched the first three episodes of Andor. I thought it was great.

Already the show has easily the best dialogue of any Star Wars movie or show, with the potential exception of Empire.

The action scenes were good. The characters are great. The concept is cool. They never once went to Tatooine.

Could eventually be on par with The Mandalorian, already much better than Fett or Obi Wan.

Very much looking forward to more!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:42 AM   #3862
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I don't even remember this story. I spent all three episodes just saying "How?" and "What?".

I will never understand our legal system.

That was a huge, national story for weeks and then popped up again months later when they found the bodies.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #3863
Edward64
Head Coach

Andor's first 2 episodes = yawn, wake me up when something is happening

3rd episode was pretty good.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #3864
Edward64
Head Coach

Rings of Power ep 5.

Durin & Elrond continue to be the best story line so far. Never knew that about the special ore.

All the others, not so much.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:25 PM   #3865
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Rings of Power ep 5.
Never knew that about the special ore.

Which is why I pretend the series has nothing to do with Middle-Earth.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:11 PM   #3866
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

IIRC, Amazon paid either 125M or 250M just for the rights, which, OK, they're swimming in money.

But I have to feel they could have used a fraction of that money to commission spec scripts from a variety of fantasy and/or scifi writers that could have been more easily turned into compelling TV than attempting to create compelling out of pre-existing IP with the significant restrictions on usage that we know about.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #3867
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Rings of Power ep 5.

Durin & Elrond continue to be the best story line so far. Never knew that about the special ore.

All the others, not so much.
Are you talking about Mithril? That is what Bilbo's mail shirt is made of. It is mentioned many times through both the Hobbit and the LOTR.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:42 PM   #3868
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Are you talking about Mithril? That is what Bilbo's mail shirt is made of. It is mentioned many times through both the Hobbit and the LOTR.

I absolutely hate how people overpronounce that word.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:01 PM   #3869
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Yes, Mithril.

I was referring to the other thing it was used for besides armor.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:25 PM   #3870
whomario
Pro Starter

Haven't watched Rings of Power yet (waiting for all episodes to be out, not ready to go back to non-binge habits yet ) but one of my favourite things surrounding it is Neil Gaiman responding to poor idiots telling him on Twitter how terrible his (!) version of the LOTR universe is in their eyes. It's been less frequent recently but amazingly still happens.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 09-24-2022 at 03:29 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:31 PM   #3871
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone dared to watch the new Dahmer show? Seen some real mixed reviews on it.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:34 PM   #3872
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone dared to watch the new Dahmer show? Seen some real mixed reviews on it.

I'm not sure if that show is everyone's taste.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:51 PM   #3873
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Well played...

a friend watched some of it. Single Mom, lives alone with her kids. Had to turn it off.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 08:53 PM   #3874
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's not really something I care about one way or another, only reason I know it even exists because I was seeing it savaged by every person on my socials who commented on it (half dozen, give or take). And they're actually a pretty diverse group literally covering both coasts and about a four decade age range.

Are they big Star Wars fans? I think one of the problems with the shows is they just don't have the budget the movies do. It's the same issue with a lot of the Marvel TV shows that require special effects. You're making 10 hours of TV on a $50 million budget while the movies are 2 hours on $300 million or whatever.

I'm not a big Star Wars fan so I don't have big expectations. The shows are perfectly mediocre to me.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:15 PM   #3875
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Are they big Star Wars fans? I think one of the problems with the shows is they just don't have the budget the movies do. It's the same issue with a lot of the Marvel TV shows that require special effects. You're making 10 hours of TV on a $50 million budget while the movies are 2 hours on $300 million or whatever.

I'm not a big Star Wars fan so I don't have big expectations. The shows are perfectly mediocre to me.

The Star Wars fan base, more so than many, is pretty toxic and terrible.

While I take your point in terms of the quality of effects in Marvel shows vs movies - though the effects in the last few movies, especially the latest two (Thor & Dr. Strange) leave much to be desired. I haven’t felt the same in terms of Star Wars TV vs. Movies. They all seem to share the same look and feel.

Largely, the Star Wars movie franchise is dead. The prequels were terrible. This last batch - especially the last one (which is awful) - weren’t great.

The Mandalorian and now Andor are the best Star Wars live action content - TV or movies - in a long while. I really loved Rogue One, so I’d put that in there as well.

Andor is great. It’s smart, complicated, and dark, which could be why some Star Wars fans are turned off by it? The look, production and set designs are fantastic and feel lived in and real. The writing is top notch and the acting fantastic. The action sequences make sense and are great. Can’t wait for more!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-25-2022, 10:20 AM   #3876
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I think the issue may have been dragging the story out over 10 episodes. I started it, but it was more than I could chew.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #3877
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I just watched the first three episodes of Andor. I thought it was great.

Already the show has easily the best dialogue of any Star Wars movie or show, with the potential exception of Empire.

The action scenes were good. The characters are great. The concept is cool. They never once went to Tatooine.

Could eventually be on par with The Mandalorian, already much better than Fett or Obi Wan.

Very much looking forward to more!

This is me, too. I didn't even bother to finish Fett or Obi Wan.

But I also thought Rogue One was the best of the new wave Star Wars movies, so it would make sense that I'd like something of similar tone.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:32 PM   #3878
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Reboot on Hulu is funny, the cast is deep, and it works.

Like Steam?

Old 09-28-2022, 10:25 PM   #3879
Ksyrup

The Girl in the Picture documentary on Netflix. What a fucked up story. It's horrifying what that girl went through but somewhat inspiring what she had made of her life through high school until her unfortunate death. Most interesting to me is that she was in high school in GA about 30 minutes from me and hung out at the same mall I did in the mid-80s, and then when they finally discover her true identity, it turns out she was born 2 years before me at the same hospital in my home town. And she was part-Greek, like me.

Freaky.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-28-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:51 PM   #3880
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, these are pretty much hardcore of hardcore (as full grown adults go anyway). Action figures, memorabilia, etc.
Old 09-29-2022, 05:10 AM   #3881
GrantDawg

Which school and mall Ksyrup?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2022, 08:34 AM   #3882
Ksyrup

She went to Forest Park and they didn't mention a specific mall but we used to go to Shannon Mall in Union City all the time, which was pretty close (I was in Peachtree City). Southlake in Morrow was a little further for us.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #3883
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Five episodes in and Andor remains awesome. The writing is fantastic.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #3884
GrantDawg

I used to go to Southlake all the time. Northlake for the midnight movies, but Southlake was closer for computer games.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2022, 11:24 AM   #3885
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Five episodes in and Andor remains awesome. The writing is fantastic.

Strong vibes of Heat in the latest episode and I’m not even mad at it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 03:03 PM   #3886
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Strong vibes of Heat in the latest episode and I’m not even mad at it.

Well this just sold me on checking it out.

Do I need to know all the Star Wars lore to like the show? I mean I know the gist of it and have seen the movies at some point in time.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-07-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #3887
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mike Flanagan's new series "The Midnight Club" dropped all 10 episodes today. I can't wait. Hopes are high after the amazing thing Midnight Mass was (just rewatched that too, still amazing).

They set an official world record for most jump scares in a single episode, but it's not about jump scares. Early reviews are very good. I hope so. I can't wait.

Like Steam?

Old 10-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #3888
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I'm really enjoying Andor as well.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #3889
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Mike Flanagan's new series "The Midnight Club" dropped all 10 episodes today. I can't wait. Hopes are high after the amazing thing Midnight Mass was (just rewatched that too, still amazing).

They set an official world record for most jump scares in a single episode, but it's not about jump scares. Early reviews are very good. I hope so. I can't wait.

I do hate jump scares but Midnight Mass was so good that I'm in on anything that guy makes again.

Has anyone seen House on Haunted Hill? Wondering if it's worth a watch on Netflix. Had it queued up forever.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:37 PM   #3890
PilotMan
Head Coach

House on Haunted Hill is a movie that ok.

The Haunting of Hill House is a Flanagan series that is very, very good. Not as good a MM, but still fantastic. As is The Haunting at Bly Manor.

Like Steam?

Old 10-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #3891
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I do hate jump scares but Midnight Mass was so good that I'm in on anything that guy makes again.

Has anyone seen House on Haunted Hill? Wondering if it's worth a watch on Netflix. Had it queued up forever.

I like the Rifftrax version of House on Haunted Hill.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #3892
Izulde
Head Coach

The final season of Derry Girls is now on Netflix (awesome because it's one of the funniest shows ever, sad because it's the last season)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:30 PM   #3893
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
House on Haunted Hill is a movie that ok.

The Haunting of Hill House is a Flanagan series that is very, very good. Not as good a MM, but still fantastic. As is The Haunting at Bly Manor.

Got the names mixed up. The Haunting of Hill House is what I'm thinking of. I'll definitely watch.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:36 PM   #3894
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well this just sold me on checking it out.

Do I need to know all the Star Wars lore to like the show? I mean I know the gist of it and have seen the movies at some point in time.

No. Not at all, really. If you know there was an Empire and a rebellion, you’re largely set.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-07-2022 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 08:16 PM   #3895
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So in regards the Lord of the Rings show

Spoiler

Last edited by NobodyHere : 10-07-2022 at 08:19 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:52 PM   #3896
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
So in regards the Lord of the Rings show

Spoiler

I’ve watched the first six. Haven’t seen the latest. I think it’s pretty great. It’s very much in the same vein as the first three Lord of the Rings movies. It looks beautiful, too.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:01 PM   #3897
Edward64
Head Coach

This week's Ring of Power was pretty boring other than Durin/Elrond. I love the backstory between the 2 and mithril ... and is that thing what I think it was e.g. from LOTR?

Rest of the other stuff, eh. Next week is the season finale. Overall, not that impressed with the story telling.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #3898
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh, never knew Elrond was half-elven.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #3899
PilotMan
Head Coach

Finished The Midnight Club over the weekend. I'm a pretty huge fan of Mike Flanagan. His Haunting Series (Bly Manor and Hill House) and Midnight Mass explore lots of different parts of the human psyche. The characters are really fleshed out, the storytelling is fantastic.

As with his other works his work here is based off of a series of books. In spite of what you've heard about the jump scare, episode 1, record, it's all a bit tongue in cheek. It's a nice, long, 10 episode series, and while to me anyway, it doesn't quite hit the mark that the other series did, it still is well worth the watch.

The ending is a bit anti-climatic for my taste, but then I heard that it's designed to be an ongoing series, and it's up to Netflix whether or not they want to pick it up. The source material is quite extensive.

All in all, it deals with some real conversation on death, especially for young adults. It's got some 'magical thinking', it's got plenty of "Twilight Zone" or "Are You Afraid Of the Dark" feels. I will likely watch it again, because there were parts that I just didn't vibe with the first go around.

Can not wait for "Fall Of the House Of Usher".

Like Steam?

Old 10-12-2022, 02:27 PM   #3900
Critch
lolzcat

Quite a bit behind the times with this since it's been on Netflix for about a year but started the South Korean series Hellbound and it's surprisingly good. People get a vision that they're going to go to hell, and the time when it'll happen. When the time comes three demon type chaps turn up and beat them to death and then zap their body off to hell.

I was put off by it looking like a silly horror thing about devils, but it's really more about how people would react if it did happen. Panic, exploitation, etc.

Season one is only six episodes, but Season two is on the way.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote