Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #451
Kodos
Resident Alien

R.I.P., PS Vue.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #452
spleen1015
Coordinator

Yeah it sucks. It was the only service that offered local channels & NFL Network.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #453
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Along with other streaming live TV providers raising their prices, it shows that this business is difficult (and also I think shows that the reason cable was raising its prices may have been more because of the content providers and not only because they were trying to squeeze you).

The next step is likely various sports leagues or channels selling directly to customers. MLB is rumored to be looking into ending blackout policies - which would make MLB At Bat much more interesting. The question is when does the ESPNs make its main channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNEWS, etc) available direct to customers.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #454
Kodos
Resident Alien

I migrated to Hulu with live TV and DVR, but I don't like it as much as PS Vue. The DVR is clunkier, and I can't always fast forward through commercials when trying to catch up on a live broadcast like I could with Vue (which is crucial for sports with lots of commercials--I like to let the game get ahead of me and then fast-forward through commercials until I catch up near the end of the game). I do like that you can record games for specific teams in specific sports. I wish Hulu offered as many profile slots as Vue. I had Vue set up with a different profile for each sport.

I might consider going back to DirecTV at some point.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-30-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #455
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I migrated to Hulu with live TV and DVR, but I don't like it as much as PS Vue. The DVR is clunkier, and I can't always fast forward through commercials when trying to catch up on a live broadcast like I could with Vue. I do like that you can record games for specific teams in specific sports. I wish Hulu offered as many profile slots as Vue. I had Vue set up with a different profile for each sport.

I am going to end up going with Youtube TV, Hulu was a consideration as well. I also got a Superbox for Christmas and it has been a solid investment so far. Only issue is each box ($280 price tag) only allows you to get 1 TV, but everything is free after that including nearly 1000 cable/local channels, all prime channels (HBO, Showtine, etc), pay per view and all sports packages (NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL) plus an app for video on demand of about everything makes it a steal.

Getting Youtube for our other TV's and to have DVR capability.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #456
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I have YouTubeTV. I like it, but it is a bit annoying to be paying $50 a month for like 8 channels that me and my wife watch. They just added channels and raised the rates instead of offering them for an additional fee.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #457
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I was planning on cutting the cord and switching to YouTube TV, but not now...

YouTube TV
@YouTubeTV
We purchase rights from Sinclair to distribute content to you. Despite our best efforts, we’ve been unable to reach an agreement with Sinclair. As a result, we will no longer offer FOX Regional Sports Networks, including YES Network, beginning February 29th.
11:46 AM · Feb 27, 2020·Twitter Web App

Last edited by Scarecrow : 02-27-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #458
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that was disappointing. Hopefully it's just a negotiating tactic. It seems like Hulu Live TV is the only one with the Fox RSNs & YES Network right now - well and cable. Though apparently Comcast is not liking the new rates Sinclair is quoting for those channels either.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:01 PM   #459
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I thought I'd through this out there, since many are looking for ways to save some money during the COVID-19 outbreak.

My wife and I currently subscribe to YouTube TV, at $50 per month. A large percentage of that $50 is for sports programming (ESPN, Fox Regional Networks). With all of the major sports being on hiatus right now, these channels are mainly showing re-runs of games from past years and poker tournaments.

Philo TV does not carry any of those sports networks; however, they have a robust 59 channel lineup for $20 per month. So we decided to cancel YouTube TV and go with Philo, then we'll re-evaluate later this year if the major sports start picking back up again.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #460
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Though one thing to note is that the only news channel they have is BBC News. So that may be an influence (I've been having CNN on a lot these days).
Old 03-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #461
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Though one thing to note is that the only news channel they have is BBC News. So that may be an influence (I've been having CNN on a lot these days).

That's a good point. We get all of our local channels OTA, so we still have access to local and national news. I think we can do without Fox News, CNN and MSNBC for awhile, but I understand if that would be a deal breaker for some.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #462
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I cut the cord like a year ago now, and I'm wondering if it's a good or bad thing I don't have access to any kind of immediate TV news.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #463
Jas_lov
College Starter

I moved down to the lowest DirecTV package and that saved some. No point in having the sports channels right now. I thought about cutting the cord or just suspending service until football season but now I think I need the news channels.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #464
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Pluto TV has a ton of news available for free
Old 03-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #465
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Pluto TV has a ton of news available for free

Pluto TV is outstanding. If you have an antenna + Pluto TV, you can get a tremendous channel lineup and not pay a penny.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #466
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
For the first time since 1997, I'm not a DirecTV customer
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:19 AM   #467
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
For the first time since 1997, I'm not a DirecTV customer

Did you just decide to dump satellite tv or would they not cut you a deal? I have my yearly rate jump coming up next month but I plan on talking about how I choose their service over cable/Dish mainly for Sunday Ticket and with the NFL looking iffy can't justify the price. Generally in the past they given a huge discount with occasional smaller discounts.

With my desire to watch NFL and a lot of college football (and my wife/kids to watch MTV/Nickelodeon) I have never found cutting the cord to be anything more than a minuscule discount to directv with more streaming issues/interface I don't like etc. I envy you guys that somehow can save a boatload.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #468
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My wife and I are pretty set on cutting the cable cord at this point. We don't spend much time watching TV (we have 4 year old). And I'm tired of dancing around with AT&T every 12 months to drop our bill from $170 back down to $100. But, hey, if they do that again, I guess we'll keep doing the silly dance.

There are 3 things we want to be able to watch
1) Local stations. This appears to be something you can pretty easily done with a digital antenna now. It'll probably take a port on our living room TV but, oh well.

2) An occasional TV show but not many. Over the last couple of months, we've grabbed the cable services (CBS, Disney+) for a month, watched the show we wanted to watch (Mandalorian, Picard, etc) and then cut the service. If we want bulk, we have Amazon Prime and they have a number of things we can watch - it won't be current, but it will probably be entertaining. This will probably take the place of our DVR (that costs like $10 a month anyway) where we "tape" a show and then see it months from now.

3) Live sports. Yeah, this is the killer one and, yes, I realize what is propping up cable (STILL). I mean, geez- this is where we were when I originally started this thread 7 YEARS AGO. During COVID, it doesn't mean much but it will eventually. I get MLB Audio for Royals games so maybe I'd upgrade that to MLB TV. NFL is mostly on network so that's covered by #1. It's playoffs and college sports. MLB playoffs are now on some myriad of crap stations from MLB Network to FX. The NCAA tournament is 1/4th on CBS now but also on crap like TruTV. Kansas football and basketball are on some mess of ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN+, and a regional Fox Sports network (I think?). I suppose I could do Sling or YouTube TV or something for a number of these for part of the year? I dunno. Any thoughts here?

Other questions:
I have a PS4 in one room. What would you recommend for streaming services in another? Honestly, would prefer it to be as dumb and manual as possible. I can press a remote and I'd rather not have something listening in on me or whatever.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #469
spleen1015
Coordinator

In my current situation, an HD antennae doesn't work. We live next to an active road and whenever someone drives by, the tv cuts out. It is really annoying.

So, we use YoutubeTV for all live tv viewing on a Roku. When I watch something on my own, it is always on my computer.

We sub to YoutubeTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu & Disney+. Prime we would get anyway so, I don't really count that. I went with Youtube instead of Sling because they had MLB Network when I was switching from Vue.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:26 PM   #470
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

YouTube TV just hiked its price to $65 per month, an increase of 30%. Hulu TV and Sling are the best alternatives right now.

Fubo TV recently signed a contract with Disney to add the ESPN networks, but they just removed 11 WarnerMedia/Turner networks, including TNT, TBS and CNN. They also raised their price by $5 per month.

With these price hikes and carriage disputes, things are starting to look a lot like traditional cable and satellite. The honeymoon is over.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #471
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

About a year ago, I spent a couple of months seriously trying to figure out if I should switch from DTV to streaming. What was most important was live sports, DVR space and having access to about 20-25 (non-sports) channels that we watched most often.

What I found was that I would have needed 3 separate packages to get the channels we wanted and that those packages had limits on number of screens, had a laughable lack of DVR space, and that I would have saved about $25/month for the privilege of being able to DVR a fraction of what we currently do, plus the hassle of having to switch between packages/TVs depending on what channel I wanted to watch and in what room.

Plus, my local internet options suck and I'm not entirely positive it can handle 4 people's devices plus my work usage plus 2-3 TVs. It wasn't even a close decision to stick with DTV.

Also, DTV has been throwing freebies at me for the past year. I got Sunday Ticket free at the halfway point of the season last year, they've already given me the entire season this year for free, and I got all the HBOs for free (which then gives me HBOMax). So I see no reason to leave, even though I've tried to justify it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-02-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:49 PM   #472
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
About a year ago, I spent a couple of months seriously trying to figure out if I should switch from DTV to streaming. What was most important was live sports, DVR space and having access to about 20-25 (non-sports) channels that we watched most often.

Yeah sometimes when doing a cost comparison, cable comes out ahead. Though at times that requires it's own hassles of calling every year to re-negotiate when a deal ends and spending a lot of time on the phone to cancel if you want to switch.

And I think we have... 10 channels that we definitely want to have? If the rumors of MLB dropping local blackouts on MLB At Bat comes to fruition - and that creates a cascading effect, then it may work out. MLS is also asking its teams have its local broadcast contracts end in 2022, when the new national TV deal is up, so you may have a combined service with no local blackouts there as well. At that point, it may be NBA that is the lone holdout re: local rights.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #473
sabotai
General Manager

And then there are people like me. Netflix plus a few more specific streaming services for <$40 total month and I'm happy.

The honeymoon might be over, but things are still much better now overall than they were before.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #474
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Yeah sometimes when doing a cost comparison, cable comes out ahead.

Every time Youtube TV jacks its price up, I do a pretty comprehensive survey of all possible options, including going back to cable and satellite. From everything I've found, even with the price hike, YTTV is still a better deal for me, although it's not by a whole lot anymore. Even considering you'd be bundling and getting internet for a discount, once you factor in all the taxes and BS fees, cable/satellite is just as expensive, even on promotional pricing. And once the promo price expires, look out.

Now, the caveat is that this might be a little different for people with smaller setups. I'd need it on three TVs, which comes with additional fees and equipment.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #475
spleen1015
Coordinator

I cancelled Youtube TV today and I am going back to Sling. I can get the channels that we watch for $35 a month.

My wife watches Food Network and Nat Geo Wild. My daughter never watches live tv. I rarely watch live tv other than sports and I will get what I need from Sling.

The shitty thing is internet. We got the $50 first year rate and it as slowly risen up to $75 since the first year ended. I can't get faster internet either without bundling with TV.

It is all a racket.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #476
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, cable companies are still the only option for a lot of people for internet. So they are just going to raise those prices and add in data caps, etc.

Right now I have ATT Fiber - as our apartment got them to install it a year or two back. I have the Gig speed and have a $70 promo price, but it goes to $100 in a couple months. Guess I'll have to call and see if I can get it dropped again.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #477
spleen1015
Coordinator

I called and tried to negotiate but the support person told me they couldn't make me a deal since they are the only provider where I live.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #478
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Following up on my cord cutting journey:

Today, I took additional steps to reduce my monthly TV bill to $0.00. So I guess that is the true definition of "cord cutting."

With my HD antenna, I get all local channels in uncompressed HD, plus about 60 other channels for free. I have a Tablo OTA DVR, so I can record and watch programming on any TV in the house, plus on streaming devices.

I have HBO Max included in my AT&T phone plan. I also have free movies and TV programming on Pluto TV, Crackle, Tubi and Filmrise.

I decided that the professional and college sports I can watch on ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and ESPN3 (which is included in my internet subscription) is sufficient. Not having the ESPN channels is not a huge deal for me anymore.

So, from the beginning of this cord cutting journey to now, I've gone from $1,680 per year to $0.00.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #479
kingfc22
Head Coach

YouTube TV added NFL Network and Redzone and a few more sports channels.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #480
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
YouTube TV added NFL Network and Redzone and a few more sports channels.

I suppose they needed to do something to justify their price increases. They launched in 2017 at $35 per month and now they're at $65 per month. That's an 86% price increase over three years.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #481
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The most recent price increase ($15 a month) was due to adding Viacom channels. Which is a bit annoying, as it got out of my price range for channels I am not interested in watching.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #482
spleen1015
Coordinator

Shit. That might be enough to make me go back. I prefer MLB/NFL Network these days much more than ESPN.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #483
Edward64
Head Coach

Data from AT&T for $50 a month.

Sling for $35'ish. Prime free with Amazon. Netflix was free with T-Mobile but think I'm now paying the $12-$15 a month. Also turning on/off HBO, Disney as needed.

Comcast was $170+ a month for data and cable so saving about $50-$60.

I am not getting all the football channels I want but think I just need to research more and pay the subscription during football season.

Streaming is great but I wish there was one single central place to turn subscriptions on-and-off.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #484
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Data from AT&T for $50 a month.

Sling for $35'ish. Prime free with Amazon. Netflix was free with T-Mobile but think I'm now paying the $12-$15 a month. Also turning on/off HBO, Disney as needed.

Comcast was $170+ a month for data and cable so saving about $50-$60.

I am not getting all the football channels I want but think I just need to research more and pay the subscription during football season.

Streaming is great but I wish there was one single central place to turn subscriptions on-and-off.

So you get internet from AT&T what is that download speed 100mbps 300? Where I live I have only one option over 100mbps and that is Xfinity. I get get tv,internet 600 mbps and landline phone service. My elderly mom lives with us and she wants a landline plus by adding it they upgraded my speed options from max of 200 mbps to 600. If I was to drop them all and just get internet I am back to 100mbps and with 5 teenagers and my wife and I all on video calls for school and work that won’t work ugh.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #485
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So you get internet from AT&T what is that download speed 100mbps 300? Where I live I have only one option over 100mbps and that is Xfinity. I get get tv,internet 600 mbps and landline phone service. My elderly mom lives with us and she wants a landline plus by adding it they upgraded my speed options from max of 200 mbps to 600. If I was to drop them all and just get internet I am back to 100mbps and with 5 teenagers and my wife and I all on video calls for school and work that won’t work ugh.

Thanks for asking, made me check ...

I live in suburbia, north of Atlanta. When we first moved in Comcast was all there was. About 4-5 years ago, we would read posts in our neighborhood FB about moving to AT&T, dropping land line etc. When I called Comcast then, they put me through to their "special line" where they offered me a deal to stay (and then somehow the price goes back up later on). I think about 2-3 years ago we just committed to get out and had fun with their "special line" dept when we just kept on saying "no thanks".

So we took the plunge with AT&T. I've got the Internet 100 plan for $50 a month. It is 1TB download and 100 Mbps speed. I just ran speedtest.net and got download 94.79 and upload 94.30.

But get this, I went into AT&T just now to see what other plans they offer in my area ... and they now have a 1000 Mbps, "unlimited" plan for $50. So an upgrade in speed and data with no price difference supposedly.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I'm reading this right.

FWIW, when we had both kids in the house and all 4 of us were using wireless plus another 2-3 devices connected, there would be complaints about it being slow. Not all the time but it did come up. However, I noticed I really didn't notice anything if I was on my desktop which had a cat-5 connected to the router.

So my theory was that the router wasn't able to keep up with the "wi-fi" part and it wasn't necessarily the Mbps. So possibly, 100 Mbps may be good enough for your family but get the latest and greatest router and wi-fi extender? Just my 2c.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #486
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thanks for asking, made me check ...

I live in suburbia, north of Atlanta. When we first moved in Comcast was all there was. About 4-5 years ago, we would read posts in our neighborhood FB about moving to AT&T, dropping land line etc. When I called Comcast then, they put me through to their "special line" where they offered me a deal to stay (and then somehow the price goes back up later on). I think about 2-3 years ago we just committed to get out and had fun with their "special line" dept when we just kept on saying "no thanks".

So we took the plunge with AT&T. I've got the Internet 100 plan for $50 a month. It is 1TB download and 100 Mbps speed. I just ran speedtest.net and got download 94.79 and upload 94.30.

But get this, I went into AT&T just now to see what other plans they offer in my area ... and they now have a 1000 Mbps, "unlimited" plan for $50. So an upgrade in speed and data with no price difference supposedly.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I'm reading this right.

FWIW, when we had both kids in the house and all 4 of us were using wireless plus another 2-3 devices connected, there would be complaints about it being slow. Not all the time but it did come up. However, I noticed I really didn't notice anything if I was on my desktop which had a cat-5 connected to the router.

So my theory was that the router wasn't able to keep up with the "wi-fi" part and it wasn't necessarily the Mbps. So possibly, 100 Mbps may be good enough for your family but get the latest and greatest router and wi-fi extender? Just my 2c.

Thanks. There is a big difference between being connected to lan and WiFi where you are close proximity is also going to be fine it once you get away from the modem router. Also watch out for moving up to 1gb I found out usually you need a modem and a separate wireless router that is docsis 3.1. Most of the 500 plus speed networks for home require that newer docsis as posed to most 100 mbps that is fine with 3.0
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #487
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Thanks. There is a big difference between being connected to lan and WiFi where you are close proximity is also going to be fine it once you get away from the modem router. Also watch out for moving up to 1gb I found out usually you need a modem and a separate wireless router that is docsis 3.1. Most of the 500 plus speed networks for home require that newer docsis as posed to most 100 mbps that is fine with 3.0

Thanks. I checked and my modem is "free" or at least part of the monthly $50. I assume they will swap out a new router if I upgrade to the 1,000 Mbps (and I'll do a quick speedtest on it).

FWIW we've had minimal issues with AT&T. The once in a while modem reboot for whatever reason, lawn guy cut the cable and it took 2-3 days for the repairs, speed seems pretty good, and most importantly, no strange fluctuations in our monthly bill ... $50 is $50.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #488
rjolley
College Starter

Finally got to the point where the cost of having DirecTV wasn't justified so that some in the house had a familiar interface. We decided to try out Hulu and YouTube TV to see which one we like better.

First things first, the interface for Hulu live TV sucks. Whoever designed that needs to go back and start over. It's just painful to use. Is there a way to change it?

Had an odd problem with YouTube TV yesterday. While watching the Heat/Bucks game, the video became very choppy, like someone was flipping through a picture book. Thought it was related to the quality, but it happened on 1080p, 720p, and 480p. Hasn't happened today, so we'll see how it goes.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #489
cuervo72
Head Coach

We're having issues with DirecTV. Our HR22 and HR24 are both on their last legs, so I called up for replacements (this was about a month ago). New ones came in a couple days - a Genie and a Genie Mini. I had offered to install myself, but this wouldn't work -- Genies need a different (powered) multiswitch, which I don't have. (You might have figured the phone op would have realized this.)

So, we schedule a guy to come out, 12-4 window. He comes at like 6:30. Then he finds out that it's not a typical install, and he doesn't have the equipment or the time to take care of it. Say's he'll reschedule and does so...for one of the school drop-days. (I am home ALL WEEK. Picked literally the only time I couldn't be there.) Reschedule for the weekend after that, but it turns out I have to go to VT again to pick stuff up that doesn't fit in the room.

Day before that trip (last Fri), suddenly we get a 722 error. We have to reset the receiver. Try online, doesn't work. Try directly, still has the error. Ok, fine, we only have a week and we have a lot of stuff taped that we need to get through. We can watch that rather than live TV. Only we go to the list, and it says we don't have DVR service on our account. So, we can't access it.

Call up, they have to escalate but oh, the technical office is closed. I call the next morning, still nobody can fix the issue. Fine, we'll last on Hulu (basic), Netflix, whatever. Only need to make it until today, right?

Well, we had COVID tests yesterday, so the tech can't come in the house. Ok fine, dish and multiswitch are both outside, right? Nope, Genie setup requires guy to have to come in the house. This is at 8:15 or so (actually came on time). Have to reschedule again. TV, still not working.

Go outside to paint shutters (thanks for the reminder, HOA). Left my phone inside. Around 9AM got the message that I (along with everyone else) tested negative.

I don't understand why all this is so hard.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-05-2020 at 10:04 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #490
tarcone
Coordinator

E have an antenna and netflix and prime. Thats it.
I use my brother snd FIL password for sports.
I will purchase Disney plus next.

Works for me.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #491
rjolley
College Starter

cuervo72: I feel your pain. When we got DirecTV here, it was a multiday painful ordeal that made me want to drop it right then and there. Ever since AT&T took over, customer service is horrible and their techs have no clue how to install DirecTV equipment. My experience with trying to get them set up was like yours.

And they wonder why people are leaving the service...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #492
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Beginning today, YouTube TV will no longer be carrying the following Fox Sports Regional Networks:

Fox Sports Arizona, Fox Sports Carolinas, Fox Sports Detroit, Fox Sports Florida, Fox Sports Indiana, Fox Sports Kansas City, Fox Sports Midwest, Fox Sports New Orleans, Fox Sports North, Fox Sports Ohio, Fox Sportstime Ohio, Fox Sports Oklahoma, Fox Sports Prime Ticket (L.A.), Fox Sports San Diego, Fox Sports South, Fox Sports Southeast, Fox Sports Southwest, Fox Sports Sun, Fox Sports Tennessee, and Fox Sports Wisconsin.

I wonder if they'll reduce their $65 per month subscription fee? Don't hold your breath.

YouTube TV customers are losing 19 Fox regional sports networks
Old 10-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #493
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hulu is the only one that has the RSNs. Everyone streaming live TV has dropped them. I wonder if Sinclair is just asking way too much to re-up?
Old 10-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #494
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure which thread to best ask this in, so I'll try here:

If you have Firestick experience, would you say that managing it (navigating channel selection, ease of getting to what you want to watch in a timely fashion, etc) is easier than managing the app options via SmartTV or about the same?

*this relates to me thinking a Firestick might be a better option for my wife, who is almost perpetually flummoxed by trying to successfully use the apps on the smarttv in the den
Old 10-12-2020, 05:24 PM   #495
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What's the smart TV?

It's likely, but I find that, say, LG's WebOS is easier to navigate than a Firestick (though note the Firestick is going to point to Amazon Prime stuff first, second, and third before it shows you other stuff).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #496
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What's the smart TV?

Fuck if I know, it's the one in the den (meaning I only see it either roomsurfing OR whenever she gets lost in menu hell). It's a Roku of some sort.

I can't explain her issues with that TV, I really can't. She's at least basics-capable on her phone, her laptop, an iPad. But that TV ... ay yi yi.

I was summoned the other day to try to unfuck it. SOMEHOW -- and I cannot explain how, cause I had to finally hard boot the Dish receiver to get it unstuck -- she was trapped in a loop of DVR recording a music channel.

The disturbing part to me was finding that the (rarely used) DVR was basically full ... of unintentionally recorded music channel stuff, in massive blocks. So clearly this was NOT the first time this had happened.

I saw a headline about how Firesticks might be part of Prime Day sales, that's what started me thinking about this. Her quality of life improves if she could reliably watch Netflix, Prime, some YouTube stuff, on that TV instead of her mobile devices. So I thought MAYBE this could be a leap forward in that direction
Old 10-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #497
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm in the same situation with my wife. She only watches Food Network, Travel Channel, and Nat Geo Wild. So, with Youtube.tv & now with Sling, I make those the favorite channels so that they show up first. She doesn't have any issues.

On Sling, the favorites show up on the first screen, so it is even better.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #498
stevew
Hall Of Famer

You can go into the roku menu and delete all the channels that aren't used. If she only watches Netflix and Prime and youtube, that could be the only 3 channels she needs on ROKU. delete all the other nonsense. Streaming from phone/device to the Youtube app on Roku is really easy, you hit one button on your phone once it's set up.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #499
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. Roku is about the easiest thing out there. Just delete the extra apps. Even my Dad can use the Roku for the most part. Nobody else even tries to use the crazy Apple TV remote in my house.

If you hit the “*” button, you can move or delete extraneous apps on the Roku.

Last edited by Kodos : 10-12-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:39 PM   #500
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Rokus are super easy. Easier than Fire sticks. Though having it have a DVR may suggest a streaming app? Though you also mention a Dish receiver? Unhook the Dish reciever, I'd say.