Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: If Trump Loses In November, What Do You Think Happens Next
Normal transition of power. He meets with Biden, stays until 1/20, comes to inauguration, etc. 5 5.56%
He doesn't fight the result, but resigns prior to the inauguration. 2 2.22%
He fights the result but gives up shortly before the inauguration (let's define "shortly" as "some time after the EC meets on 12/14") 30 33.33%
He fights the result all the way to January 20th. Has to be physically removed. 12 13.33%
He fights the result for a short time, but gives up and resigns before the inauguration 6 6.67%
He fights the result for a short time, but gives up an then we have a normal transition as per option 1. 30 33.33%
Other. (You know you gotta specify this one.) 5 5.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2022, 01:07 PM   #5201
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The entire story about what happened in the motorcade was relayed to her by someone else. That is hearsay. She properly testified about other things she directly heard or saw, which is fine. But they kept weaving hearsay in and out of that stuff.

Hearsay is when the truth of the matter is asserted. This would not be hearsay. This is also not a court of law.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #5202
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Hearsay is when the truth of the matter is asserted. This would not be hearsay. This is also not a court of law.

You don't think she was relaying the information she got from someone else who hasn't testified to assert it as the truth of the matter?

I don't care if this isn't a court. It goes to what we should consider concrete evidence. And of course, the ultimate goal here is to lay out a case for charging certain people with crimes. To the extent some of the information she testified to secondhand would be relevant to those crimes, she would not be able to testify about them when it matters.

And generally, allowing her to testify to secondhand information so freely weakens the committee and makes it easier for opponents to criticize.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:20 PM   #5203
Ksyrup

I will say, it's amazing how many people who have been charged with crimes or who have turned on Trump, he barely knew. It's almost unbelievable!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-28-2022, 01:21 PM   #5204
Swaggs
Coordinator

I know that everything Trump related is unpredictable and chaotic, but, along with this testimony, it feels like the committee now just needs to prove that Trump knew that he did not win and still ordered against a peaceful transition of power. Maybe that filmmaker has that on video somewhere.

I have been sitting back wondering why Biden has not been more vocal in blaming some of the problems his presidency has encountered on the Trump administration not allowing for a peaceful transition. I hope that is something that the democrats start hammering on.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:27 PM   #5205
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
You don't think she was relaying the information she got from someone else who hasn't testified to assert it as the truth of the matter?

I don't care if this isn't a court. It goes to what we should consider concrete evidence. And of course, the ultimate goal here is to lay out a case for charging certain people with crimes. To the extent some of the information she testified to secondhand would be relevant to those crimes, she would not be able to testify about them when it matters.

And generally, allowing her to testify to secondhand information so freely weakens the committee and makes it easier for opponents to criticize.

She is discussing conversations she was actually a participant in. Party admissions are exception to hearsay. Effect on listener statements are also not hearsay.

I'm sure there will be a million lawyers explaining this in much more detail when this is over since it appears that's the defense the GOP is going with. I would say they are lying, but seeing how bad Giuliani and Eastman were at their jobs, there is a good chance the party just doesn't have any competent lawyers.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:30 PM   #5206
Ksyrup

Quote:
She is discussing conversations she was actually a participant in. Party admissions are exception to hearsay. Effect on listener statements are also not hearsay..

She testified to a conversation with someone who relayed a story with the intent to prove that what occurred in that story (the motorcade altercation) is true. That's hearsay.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #5207
PilotMan
Head Coach

"he thinks Mike deserves it and they aren't doing anything wrong."

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #5208
Ksyrup

I'm not saying I don't believe that it occurred, and I want to see Trump prosecuted.

All I'm saying is that floating unsubstantiated "this guy told me about this terrible thing Trump did that I didn't personally witness" weakens the committee's effectiveness and provides ammo to the GOP to discount her as a witness because there's nothing to corroborate that story.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #5209
Ksyrup

If Engel testifies, then you've got something.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:37 PM   #5210
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not saying I don't believe that it occurred, and I want to see Trump prosecuted.

All I'm saying is that floating unsubstantiated "this guy told me about this terrible thing Trump did that I didn't personally witness" weakens the committee's effectiveness and provides ammo to the GOP to discount her as a witness because there's nothing to corroborate that story.

I don't know why she would risk her life and freedom to lie about this stuff.

Anyway, if the people who were there want to repudiate it, I am certain the committee would be open to hearing from them.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:40 PM   #5211
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I will say, it's amazing how many people who have been charged with crimes or who have turned on Trump, he barely knew. It's almost unbelievable!

Eastman appears to be the guy they want to be the scapegoat for this and Trump has already pulled the "I barely knew him" card on the attorney he worked with on a daily basis to try to overturn the election.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:43 PM   #5212
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Anyway, if the people who were there want to repudiate it, I am certain the committee would be open to hearing from them.

Christine Blasey Ford tried this and you saw how far it got her. Remember when she was going to make millions? Anyway, what you said sounds just like it could have applied to another woman who risked her life and freedom to report something important. Point being I guess that opposition will do everything they can do to tear her down and render her as the problem not the other way around.

Like Steam?

Old 06-28-2022, 01:43 PM   #5213
Ksyrup

Quote:

This is the point about hearsay - she doesn't need to be lying for it not to be true! That might very well have been the conversation she had with Engel or whoever the other guy was. But that story may not have been true. And it was offered here as evidence that the altercation actually happened. That's the whole point of the hearsay rule.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:44 PM   #5214
Ksyrup

All I'm saying is, her testimony on that particular issue should have been paired with corroborating testimony. And I'm guessing that to date, they don't have that, so they had her testify about hearsay which, if that's all there ever will be, would be inadmissible in a court.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:49 PM   #5215
RainMaker
General Manager

It's not hearsay. You don't know what hearsay is.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:50 PM   #5216
Galaril
Pro Starter

Hearsay or not the American people should here it all and make their own assumptions. I doubt Garland and Biden have the balls to have the DOJ doing anything criminally.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-28-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #5217
RainMaker
General Manager

They subpoenaed all those other people. They decided to ignore it and the DoJ decided laws don't apply to certain people like them.

You can only present the testimony and evidence you have and let people decide.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:57 PM   #5218
Ksyrup

Quote:

It is hearsay.

I'm not saying they can't present it here, I'm talking about how it limits the effectiveness of the testimony when there's nothing else to corroborate it.

Even in a court, hearsay can be admissible. That doesn't change it from being hearsay, it just becomes admissible hearsay.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:06 PM   #5219
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

You realize he’s an attorney?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:09 PM   #5220
PilotMan
Head Coach

Do you think he cares?

Like Steam?

Old 06-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #5221
Ksyrup

I think RainMaker and I actually agree, we're just explaining it from different angles.

I disagree with the blanket statement that it's not hearsay, but I agree that it may be admissible in court. It still goes to credibility if there's no corroboration. That's my point. Especially here, when the committee is already providing testimony with no cross-examination, relying on hearsay testimony can be dangerous and "under oath" only means so much.

If there's one thing I learned from my evidence professor in law school, it's that our system's hands are tied by people who are willing to perjure themselves.

And again, I'm not calling Hutchinson's testimony into question so much as I am the willingness to throw it out there without something more attached to it.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #5222
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
The one thing I don't like here is they are mixing in way too much hearsay and it weakens the testimony, IMO. She was privvy to direct conversations or overheard/saw certain things, but then she relays the story of Trump going after someone in the motorcade for refusing to let him go to the Capitol and she's relaying 100% hearsay. I don't doubt it's true, but there should be some corroboration (which I hope is coming) if they are going to have her testify about stuff like that.

Yeah I'm hoping the Committee has that testimony or now that they've seen her give it, people will come forward to testify. It would have made her testimony today more effective if the people in his car in the motorcade after his speech agreed with what she said happened.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:32 PM   #5223
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You realize he’s an attorney?

So are they. It seems like the only thing that would be hearsay is the Secret Service car stuff.

Old 06-28-2022, 02:33 PM   #5224
Ksyrup

Quote:
So are they. It seems like the only thing that would be hearsay is the Secret Service car stuff.

And that's exactly the part I have been talking about.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:35 PM   #5225
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yeah I'm hoping the Committee has that testimony or now that they've seen her give it, people will come forward to testify. It would have made her testimony today more effective if the people in his car in the motorcade after his speech agreed with what she said happened.
Will they make Secret Service agents go on the record about their principles?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:39 PM   #5226
Ksyrup

As my boss said, "Trump claims he hardly knew who this woman was, but I've seen her. He definitely knew who she was."
Old 06-28-2022, 02:40 PM   #5227
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
And that's exactly the part I have been talking about.

Ok sorry, maybe my feed was behind.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #5228
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I disagree with the blanket statement that it's not hearsay, but I agree that it may be admissible in court. It still goes to credibility if there's no corroboration. That's my point. Especially here, when the committee is already providing testimony with no cross-examination, relying on hearsay testimony can be dangerous and "under oath" only means so much.

I think the issue is that this is a unique case in that normally you would subpoena a witness and they would testify. Sure they could just take the 5th, but you would at least have them on the record.

It doesn't seem fair to hold them to the standards of a traditional court case when the justice system has decided certain individuals do not have to abide by the same laws as others in that system. Just feels like a weird space we're in.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #5229
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Will they make Secret Service agents go on the record about their principles?

I think that is the issue here-as far as I know none of the people mentioned today have testified. They may think they have some kind of executive privilege not to do so, but not sure how that work with the Secret Service.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #5230
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I think that is the issue here-as far as I know none of the people mentioned today have testified. They may think they have some kind of executive privilege not to do so, but not sure how that work with the Secret Service.

I don't know why Biden would block it under executive privilege. Seems like the next logical step is to question the secret service agents involved about what happened.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #5231
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Well, there’s precedent. In 1998, three agents protecting President Bill Clinton were compelled to testify before a grand jury about the president’s affair with a young intern as he was being investigated by independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr.

The Clinton administration fought the move for months — a fight that made it all the way to the Supreme Court. Just four minutes before the scheduled testimony, then-Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist declined to stop it.

Who knows with this "Supreme Court"
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #5232
GrantDawg

Basically, here is my answer. Agents were called to testify against Clinton. So, they can be compelled and there is precedent.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/histo...rvice-clinton/

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-28-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #5233
Thomkal
Head Coach

Jake Tapper interviewed Senator Raskin after the hearing and said no one gave contradictory evidence to what Hutchinson testified happened in the motorcade, and that they interviewed the men involved, so there may be more testimony to come there

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-28-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #5234
GrantDawg

Old 06-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #5235
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I think RainMaker and I actually agree, we're just explaining it from different angles.

If there's one thing I learned from my evidence professor in law school, it's that our system's hands are tied by people who are willing to perjure themselves.

And again, I'm not calling Hutchinson's testimony into question so much as I am the willingness to throw it out there without something more attached to it.

If they haven't been able to get anything more attached to it, should they keep a lid on it?

Whether it's admissible in court is a decision to make when a criminal case is brought. Right now, it's important to get information out to the public.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #5236
Ksyrup

If they didn't have statements from Engel and the other guy locked down before they put her on live TV, they really screwed up. If they had corroboration before today, at least some of it should have been presented today. So either way, IMO, they didn't really handle that part of the testimony well.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #5237
GrantDawg

It would destroy Hutchinson's credibility. It would destroy the comitee credibility. It would basically really make this whole thing look like a political farce. You can't present one of the most damning allegation being made from a hearsay conversion without collaboration. I hope that report is wrong. It came from a NBC reporter.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2022, 06:22 PM   #5238
RainMaker
General Manager

They did testify months ago. So I would hope the committee asked them about it.

Not sure why it would hurt Hutchinson's credibility. She is relaying a conversation and has no reason to lie. Maybe it would hurt Ornato who told her the story.

Either way, it would be a he said she said. She worked in that administration so is already suspect. But the secret service lie a lot so who knows what is credible.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #5239
Ksyrup

Presumably he/they would testify that the conversation never happened. Unless the story is, "Yeah I told her that but it was a lie."
Old 06-28-2022, 06:38 PM   #5240
RainMaker
General Manager

Well they can do that under oath and help bring clarity to the situation.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #5241
GrantDawg

It hurts Hitchimson's credibility because she said it on a national stage. Sceptical people aren't going to accept "well technically she said HE said".... It will paint her whole testimony as deceptive. And it definitely destroys the credibility and the professionalism of the committee. How do they present this testimony when they haven't verified it?

Old 06-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #5242
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it adds to her credibility that she is willing to say this on a national stage and under oath. This is a person receiving death threats who just threw any future in that party away. I don't think she's any kind of hero or anything, but she was at least willing to speak while under oath.

On the other side, you have an anonymous source saying "nuh uh" to a reporter.

I think if her story is false, the people who know the truth should speak up and do so under oath for the country to hear. There doesn't appear to be anything stopping them from doing that.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:09 PM   #5243
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I think it adds to her credibility that she is willing to say this on a national stage and under oath. This is a person receiving death threats who just threw any future in that party away. I don't think she's any kind of hero or anything, but she was at least willing to speak while under oath.

On the other side, you have an anonymous source saying "nuh uh" to a reporter.

I think if her story is false, the people who know the truth should speak up and do so under oath for the country to hear. There doesn't appear to be anything stopping them from doing that.
We all hate Trump here but this is just wishful thinking. Unfortunately it looks like the committee screwed this part up and it will be used to detract from all the other damning parts.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:11 PM   #5244
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
We all hate Trump here but this is just wishful thinking. Unfortunately it looks like the committee screwed this part up and it will be used to detract from all the other damning parts.

What did they screw up? They sent subpoenas to people and those who chose to abide by the law followed them and those who didn't didn't.

They can only work with the people who are willing to talk to them.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:12 PM   #5245
GrantDawg

Personaly, I think it does as well Rainmaker. It was amazingly brave for her to come forward and face what is to come. I also have no doubt she believed what she said. That still doesn't take away how most people react to things like this. It will come down to the simplest translation: She said this happened. The people actually there say this didn't happened. Her testimony is then false. It doesn't matter that some else was the one that told her it happened. She should have never been asked to testify on something that she couldn't verify.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #5246
RainMaker
General Manager

Who said it didn't happen under oath? I feel like I'm missing something here.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:18 PM   #5247
GrantDawg

Rainmaker, the agents are willing to testify, and Engel already has. Either the commitee didn't ask him about this, or he contradicted it and they had her testify anyway. I think the commitee hasn't asked him because the Reps I have seen comment on this have said they haven't seen any direct collaboration, and I don't believe they would have asked her to testify to this if he had already denied it.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:19 PM   #5248
Ksyrup

Utlimately, she could be vindicated. But if they really didn't ask these 2 people about this incident (likely because they didn't know about it months ago) and they deny it happened, that is a huge unforced error by the committee. And it's not even the most relevant information/evidence of a crime. The other stuff is far more damning. But if her story about the motorcade or the ketchup on the wall are denied under oath, her credibility is shot. And for nothing other than great Twitter fodder for a couple days.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:20 PM   #5249
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Rainmaker, the agents are willing to testify, and Engel already has. Either the commitee didn't ask him about this, or he contradicted it and they had her testify anyway. I think the commitee hasn't asked him because the Reps I have seen comment on this have said they haven't seen any direct collaboration, and I don't believe they would have asked her to testify to this if he had already denied it.

Did they say they are willing to testify? Where are you seeing this? I'm sure Engel, Ornato, or anyone else involved has the means to put out a statement saying this.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #5250
GrantDawg

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...jan-6-hearings