Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #51
path12
Coordinator

I haven't played board Civ in decades but I'd be up for an 8th if you guys end up restarting -- or for the next game. Cool site.

path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #52
Passacaglia
Coordinator

path, good to see you! I'll give it until Monday for people to make an objection, and if no one objects, I'll start us over.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #53
britrock88
Pro Starter

Sure, start it over, but don't kill the first game over on the website. We could just play that one out without the dynasty thread's attention.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #54
tarcone
Coordinator

Im lost. So using the 1st game as a learning tool might help me.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #55
tarcone
Coordinator

And a start over would be ok by me
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #56
britrock88
Pro Starter

(from another game)
Any advice on how risk-averse to be regarding tradeable calamities? I have a Treachery (2) that I'm trying to get rid of for something like an even deal, and I'm worried I could pull an Epidemic (6) from the other guy.

Last edited by britrock88 : 10-13-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #57
Autumn
Head Coach

I don't exactly mind starting over, since nothing has happened really. But let's make sure everyone's really raring to go. It's going to be slow anyway, but it would help if everyone would take a peek every day at least to see if their turn is coming up.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #58
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I say let's start over, I don't think Furrball will have any objection, he was complaining about a mistake he made a turn or two ago (then again, he always complains when he makes a mistake).
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #59
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah I don't mind, because I screwed myself with my initial movements, not realizing how close to the border I was.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #60
Passacaglia
Coordinator

All right, let's do this. CF and path, sign up on the site and add me as a friend.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #61
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
(from another game)
Any advice on how risk-averse to be regarding tradeable calamities? I have a Treachery (2) that I'm trying to get rid of for something like an even deal, and I'm worried I could pull an Epidemic (6) from the other guy.

Well, you get a potential gain by trading Treachery, unless he trades it to somene else. And Epidemic is not so bad, since while you lose 16 units, you can make some others lose 10 -- maybe your neighbors, or someone who's winning. I'd rather take the gamble of being calamity-free (thus trading away my calamity), instead of worrying about which calamity I end up with.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #62
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

okay I accepted the thing it told me to accept. I'm you friend. Now what do I do.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #63
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

And thanks guys. You are the coolest of the cool.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #64
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Wait until path sends me a friend request, then I'll start the game. At that point, you should get an email telling you what to do. In the meantime, you can read the rules if you don't know them.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #65
path12
Coordinator

Done, I think. It says unverified but I guess that will be when you accept it.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #66
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Well, you get a potential gain by trading Treachery, unless he trades it to somene else. And Epidemic is not so bad, since while you lose 16 units, you can make some others lose 10 -- maybe your neighbors, or someone who's winning. I'd rather take the gamble of being calamity-free (thus trading away my calamity), instead of worrying about which calamity I end up with.

Took the gamble, didn't get burned, and somehow was able to use my trade of the Treachery to get a non-aggression pact out of the guy (my neighbor, Babylon, to my Assyria).
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #67
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Done, I think. It says unverified but I guess that will be when you accept it.

It's unverified on my end, too. I'm not sure what that means, but I know where to find you now. Starting the game.

I figure I'll make a new thread for "the" game, and we can use this one to discuss other games we're in (including our 6-player game).
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #68
Autumn
Head Coach

Damn, #7. I'm going to end up being New Jersey.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #69
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Took the gamble, didn't get burned, and somehow was able to use my trade of the Treachery to get a non-aggression pact out of the guy (my neighbor, Babylon, to my Assyria).

Congrats! Things had been going well for me in my other game. I'm Thrace, and rocking out with 7 cities. I've been trying my hand at counting cards, and I knew that both barbarian hordes and flood were in the Top 6. I thought that at least 6 others had 5 cities, but Crete and Illyria both has less than 5 cities, and I ended up drawing the 6th level 5 card -- of course it's Flood. And to pile on, I draw Epidemic with my level 6 card. At least that one is tradeable.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #70
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So I'm trying my hand at counting cards. When I played this game a while back, I got an email from someone asking me not to build as many cities as I wanted to, since it meant that he would draw a non-tradeable calamity, and that he would make it worth my while. I forget whether or not I did it, but it made me wonder if I should be paying more attention to the trade deck.

So in my other game, we're in the 3rd round or so of trading -- I went back and skimmed through all my emails, and saw what people were saying they had and what they wanted, and what trades they made. And I've been paying attention to what cards were put back in the deck when civilization cards were purchased. I think it's really helped.

Is this kind of discussion something you want to see in the thread? I figure I can document one of our two games, though we should keep at least one game to be free of card discussion. Or if we want to keep both games free of card discussion, I can document how I've been doing in my other game. I guess it depends on how much we want to make our games a learning environment -- if so, discussion is probably fine. But if we want more gamesmanship, we probably shouldn't talk about it, and maybe even if I document what I'm seeing in the other game, people might think that's giving out too much info. Thoughts?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #71
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Depending on the stage of the game, you can have an idea of where the untradeable calamities are. That said, I think calamities are something you just roll with. Heck, if I get two, I tend to collect them to see what hits and what doesn't (since you can only get hit by two calamities a turn).
Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #72
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
So I'm trying my hand at counting cards. When I played this game a while back, I got an email from someone asking me not to build as many cities as I wanted to, since it meant that he would draw a non-tradeable calamity, and that he would make it worth my while. I forget whether or not I did it, but it made me wonder if I should be paying more attention to the trade deck.

So in my other game, we're in the 3rd round or so of trading -- I went back and skimmed through all my emails, and saw what people were saying they had and what they wanted, and what trades they made. And I've been paying attention to what cards were put back in the deck when civilization cards were purchased. I think it's really helped.

Is this kind of discussion something you want to see in the thread? I figure I can document one of our two games, though we should keep at least one game to be free of card discussion. Or if we want to keep both games free of card discussion, I can document how I've been doing in my other game. I guess it depends on how much we want to make our games a learning environment -- if so, discussion is probably fine. But if we want more gamesmanship, we probably shouldn't talk about it, and maybe even if I document what I'm seeing in the other game, people might think that's giving out too much info. Thoughts?

It almost sounds like he was trying to threaten you without a threat. Yuk. Actually that kinda thing goes on in RL in games too. People whining and telling you to do or not do something while only trying to help themselves and I find it lame. I can guess it's even worse on the internet, especially to players that are new.Not a fan of that kind of "coersion".
Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #73
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Congrats! Things had been going well for me in my other game. I'm Thrace, and rocking out with 7 cities. I've been trying my hand at counting cards, and I knew that both barbarian hordes and flood were in the Top 6. I thought that at least 6 others had 5 cities, but Crete and Illyria both has less than 5 cities, and I ended up drawing the 6th level 5 card -- of course it's Flood. And to pile on, I draw Epidemic with my level 6 card. At least that one is tradeable.

Update. I managed to trade away Epidemic to Egypt, and got my 3rd Silver in the process. Africa and Iberia had the remaining Silver, and Iberia traded his to Africa. I was pretty sure that Africa had Treachery, so I was happy to see him make that trade, so I could try to get the Silver from him and not worry about taking his Treachery. I offered him Wine, Salt, and Timber for 2 Silver and unspecified -- kind of a ripoff, but that was just to get an offer in there, let him know I'm interested, and ask what he wants. A few hours after I propose the trade, he accepts the offer -- immediately after a trade with Egypt, in which he got Epidemic, which he dealt back to me. Pretty savvy -- I was trying to be on top of that, but he did it while I was either on my way home or feeding babies, and even so, he probably did it all faster than I could cancel. And I'm not sure if I wanted to cancel -- Warhammer may be right that sometimes you just have to roll with the calamities and accept it, and now I have all 5 Silver. The good news is that Epidemic will be the last calamity, so I can distribute my damage in such a way that I eliminate as many cities as possible. It would have been nice to have a calamity that happens before Flood, though.

Crete is weirding me out in this game. They attacked me in Thrace and Paeonia, and left Appolonia without a city. They've got 12 cards, but haven't made a trade all game. I share a pretty large border with them, so I want to hurt them with Epidemic, but they're doing so badly -- 4 cities, 17 population, and no trading means they'll be lucky to get 1 crappy technology. But on the other hand, that attack was annoying.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #74
Passacaglia
Coordinator

tarcone, FYI -- the first game is waiting on you.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #75
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Update. I managed to trade away Epidemic to Egypt, and got my 3rd Silver in the process. Africa and Iberia had the remaining Silver, and Iberia traded his to Africa. I was pretty sure that Africa had Treachery, so I was happy to see him make that trade, so I could try to get the Silver from him and not worry about taking his Treachery. I offered him Wine, Salt, and Timber for 2 Silver and unspecified -- kind of a ripoff, but that was just to get an offer in there, let him know I'm interested, and ask what he wants. A few hours after I propose the trade, he accepts the offer -- immediately after a trade with Egypt, in which he got Epidemic, which he dealt back to me. Pretty savvy -- I was trying to be on top of that, but he did it while I was either on my way home or feeding babies, and even so, he probably did it all faster than I could cancel. And I'm not sure if I wanted to cancel -- Warhammer may be right that sometimes you just have to roll with the calamities and accept it, and now I have all 5 Silver. The good news is that Epidemic will be the last calamity, so I can distribute my damage in such a way that I eliminate as many cities as possible. It would have been nice to have a calamity that happens before Flood, though.

Crete is weirding me out in this game. They attacked me in Thrace and Paeonia, and left Appolonia without a city. They've got 12 cards, but haven't made a trade all game. I share a pretty large border with them, so I want to hurt them with Epidemic, but they're doing so badly -- 4 cities, 17 population, and no trading means they'll be lucky to get 1 crappy technology. But on the other hand, that attack was annoying.

WTF, Crete had Treachery, too, and still didn't trade. And it's not like this guy is totally inactive. Sure, he didn't respond when I asked him why he attacked me instead of building a city in Appolonia, but he's been making his moves, he left the market about midway through the trading period (although, he never posted what he has or what he wants). I'm just glad he's never had 6 cities, so he didn't have any of the Silver that I was collecting.

Stuff like this is why I wanted to play with people I know from this board.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #76
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Depending on the stage of the game, you can have an idea of where the untradeable calamities are. That said, I think calamities are something you just roll with. Heck, if I get two, I tend to collect them to see what hits and what doesn't (since you can only get hit by two calamities a turn).

Just a note about this if you play in other games, it's pretty common on this site to play with "Stoic Option" which means that you can get hit by more than two calamities in a turn. Neither of the FOFC games use Stoic Option, though.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #77
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
tarcone, FYI -- the first game is waiting on you.

So much pressure!

Actually this will be my first game here too. Can you give me a rundown of basic strategy and basic "how turns progress)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #78
Passacaglia
Coordinator

1. Collect Taxes (possible city revolts)
2. Population Expansion
3. Census
4. Ship construction and maintenance
5. Movement
6. Conflict
7. City construction
8. Remove surplus population (check for city support)
9. Trade card acquisition
10. Trade
11. Resolve calamaties (check for city support)
12. Acquisition of civilization cards
13. Movement of succession markers on the AST

This is the list of what happens each round. I'll give a little basic description of what happens in each part.

1. Collect Taxes -- For each city you have, take two units from stock and put them in treasury. Treasury is nice, since you can buy ships and technology with it. If you don't have enough units in stock, whatever cities you can't afford to put in treasury go into revolt, and whatever civ has the most units in stock takes control of them. So you need to be careful how many units you've got on the map (population), in your treasury, and in stock. You can check this in the game by clicking on "AST" on the top of your screen.

2. Population Expansion -- Basically, your population doubles, with the exception that no territory grows more than 2. If you don't have enough units in stock to accommodate this, it's no big this time -- you just don't expand as much as you could have.

3. Census -- This is just record keeping. The next two phases are done in population order, with the highest population civ going first. In this phase we basically just set the order.

4. Ship Building and Maintenance -- It costs two units to build a ship, which can come from population or from treasury. It costs one unit to maintain a ship that was built in a previous round. You can have at most four ships on the board at a time. Ships can move four spaces per turn and hold 5 units.

5. Movement -- You can move each token one space (and each ship four spaces).

6. Conflict -- If units from two or more civs are in the same territory, there might be conflict. Conflict occurs if the total number of units is higher than the number pictured in the territory. Units are removed one at a time, with whoever has the least units in the territory going first, until the total number of units equals the number pictured in the territory. Cities can be attacked here also -- a city counts as 6 units (as long as the city owner has 6 units in stock).

7. City construction -- The territories with a black or white square in them are good city locations. If you have 6 units in one of those territories after the conflict phase is over, you can create a city with them. If the territory does not have a black or white square, it takes 12 units to put a city there. Here I'll warn against building a city too quickly. Once your population doubles enough so that you have 8 units, you can build a city, but then you'll be down to just 2 population. I find it best to wait a while to build cities until my population is as high as can be, then start.

8. Remove Surplus Population (check for city support) -- Kind of the same as conflict, but this just applies to a territory with just one civ in it, but has more units than it can hold. And there's a check for city support here -- you need to have two population for every city you've got. If you don't, you need to replace cities with population equal to the number it can hold until you've got two population for every city.

9. Trade card acquisition -- For each city you have, you get a trade card. There's 9 stacks, and you can have up to 9 cities, so for each city you have, you draw from the next stack. You want more cities not just so you can get more cards, but also because the cards in the higher stacks are more valuable. However, each stack has 1 or 2 calamities, and those get more harmful in the higher stacks, too.

10. Trade -- Here you trade your cards with other players. Basically, you're looking to collect sets, because the more you have of one card, the more points you get for it. The rule is that the number of points is equals the number of cards you have of that type squared, times the point value of the card.
So, for example, in my posts earlier, I was collecting Silver, which has a 6 point value (which also means it's in the 6th stack). If you've got 1 Silver card, it's worth 1x1x6=6 points. At some point in my posting, I had 3 Silver, so that's worth 3x3x6=54 points. In the end, I had 5 Silver, which is worth 5x5x6=150 points. If you click on "Trade Cards" at the top, and hold the mouse over each card name, you can see a picture of the card, which shows the value at each level. You'll also see your hand below that, once you acquire cards.
Trading works like this: You must trade at least three cards, and you must tell the truth about at least two of them. Generally, people like to use "Unspecified" for the third card -- this basically ensures that that third card is the non-truthful card, which means the other two must be truthful. Anyway, some of the calamities are tradeable, and if you ended up with one, that third untruthful card is where you get rid of it. Of course, when trading, you run the risk that someone trades a calamity to you as well.

11. Resolve Calamities -- After everyone is done trading, whoever has calamities in their hand does whatever the calamity requires -- usually it's something like losing cities or units. Also, there's another check for city support here, so you need to keep two population for every city still, which can get problematic, as a lot of population gets wiped out from the calamities.

12. Acquisition of Civilization Cards -- So you've traded your cards to get as many points as you can. Here's where you use them to "buy" technology. Each tech has a different price, and you can pay for it with your cards, and your treasury. Most of the technologies you buy also change a bunch of the rules that I've listed.

13. Movement of succession markers on the AST -- If you can, you move a spot up on the AST. You can click on AST to see the table, and below that you can see the rules for what you need to have to move up a table in each age -- usually either a certain number of cities, or a certain number of civiliation cards (technologies). The game ends when someone gets to the last space on the table, and the winner is the person with the most points, which is 100 points for every space you've moved up on the AST, 50 points for every city you have, 1 point for the point value of the civilization cards you've purchased, 1 point for every unit in your treasury, plus the value of the cards in your hand.

Hopefully that wasn't more detailed then you wanted, but I didn't want to leave too much out!

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-18-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #79
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bless you!
Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #80
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So these early moves we'll just all be going into unpopulated countries and taking them over with attacks if we have a number of units that can beat the number in the country?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #81
Passacaglia
Coordinator

No. These unpopulated countries are empty, so you can just move into them. The number listed in each country is the number of units that it can hold*. So right now, the only units on the board are the ones we each put down when we claimed which civilization we want, and you can see the colored squares indicating those.

* -- The population can go above that number, during population expansion. The number it can hold only applies during the "conflict" and "remove surplus population" phases.

To make this more about you, you've got a unit in Corduba. It's going to expand to 2. Corduba can hold 2 units, so you can keep them both there, or you can move them. The first few rounds are a territory grab, so you'll want to move them. Your nearest neighbors are Illyria, which has a unit in Germany, and (assuming furrball selects them) Africa, which will start in a territory adjacent to the brown line. But Africa is not likely to build a ship for a while, so your prime concern is taking as much territory as you can from Illyria. Meaning it's probably best to move both units up that way. You could move them both into Hispania, but Hispania can only hold 1. So it might be better to put 1 in Hispania, and one in New Carthage. Then, next round, your population will expand again, and you'll have 2 each in Hispania and New Carthage -- and you'll want to make sure you move at least 1 out of Hispania, since it can only hold 1.

Also, I realized I forgot the City Construction phase. I'll edit.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #82
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Cool. So at the end of each turn you lose units if you have too many in a province? (over the number)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #83
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Well, during Step 8. But I don't think it's possible to get above the number after Step 8, so yeah, effectively, at the end of each turn. But I guess it's important to note that if you're over the number in a province, you're going to lose those units before calamities happen.

But really, you shouldn't be over the number at all, since you just had the chance to move them all around. Although, it can happen if you're trying to build a city near your neighbor, and your neighbor moves in just enough units so that you go down to 5 in conflict -- then you don't have the 6 you need to build a city, and the 5 units you have left there is probably more than the territory can hold, so you lose the rest.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #84
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Well, during Step 8. But I don't think it's possible to get above the number after Step 8, so yeah, effectively, at the end of each turn. But I guess it's important to note that if you're over the number in a province, you're going to lose those units before calamities happen.

But really, you shouldn't be over the number at all, since you just had the chance to move them all around. Although, it can happen if you're trying to build a city near your neighbor, and your neighbor moves in just enough units so that you go down to 5 in conflict -- then you don't have the 6 you need to build a city, and the 5 units you have left there is probably more than the territory can hold, so you lose the rest.

*brain explodes*
*numbers leak everywhere*

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-18-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #85
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
*brain explodes*
*numbers leak everywhere*

As you can see, it goes pretty slow -- there'll be time to figure it out as you go.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #86
britrock88
Pro Starter

Could you give me a brief overview of strategy in buying advancement cards? I'll give you some details that might inform you... I'm Thrace in an 8-player game, with 5 cities already, and a grand total of $110 to spend (no prior purchases) from my one 1, five 2s, four 3s, and $11 in the treasury (IIRC).
Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #87
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Sure. The first thing you need to note is that you can only keep 8 cards from round to round (I think that's a number that can be set on the website by the person who started the game, but in the rules, it's 8). So, if you don't buy anything, you're going to have to discard two cards.

I'm assuming when you say five 2s and four 3s, they're all the same type? You can't mix Papyrus and Iron, and say you have 5 2s, it has to be all Papyrus or all Iron.

I think at a time like this for you, it's important to look at the AST, and look toward entering the Late Bronze Age. Since you're Thrace, you don't enter the Late Bronze Age until later rounds, which is a good thing. I don't know what round you're in, but it's a good idea to look at meeting the Late Bronze Age requirement now, which is: three cities and three groups of civilization cards. Note that some cards count as two colors, the cheapest of which is Mysticism, which makes that card rock.

If you're able to get into the Late Bronze Age this turn, I'd get Mysticism and either Cloth Making or Pottery. If you've got a while to wait, it's probably best just to spend the five 2s and save the 3s for next turn (and collecting more of them). The five 2s are $50, which screams Mysticism, since that's exactly what it costs. However, I like to spend down my treasury when I can, which would point to using the 5 2s and $10 form treasury to get Music or Drama&Poetry. But this depends on your current population. Think about how many cities you have and how much population you have, and recall that you're going to have taxation before population expansion. So let's say, for example, you've got 5 cities and 20 population, to go with your 11 treasury -- assuming 55 tokens are in the game (sometimes it's 47), this means you've got 24 in stock. Taxation will take 10 of them, so you'll have 14 in stock that you can use to expand. Maybe that's enough -- and maybe some of those 20 population you have can't expand because of the limit of 2 growth per territory. And maybe you want your population low so you can do your movement later in the round, and not have to worry about attacks. On the other hand, if you have 5 cities, 10 population, and 45 in stock, might as well keep your treasury high so you can spend them next turn, since your population will expand all it can anyway.

Also, Music and Drama&Poetry do you little good in getting three groups -- you'll still end up having to pay $90, you'd have to buy Mysticism and Cloth Making or Pottery still, the only help you get is a $5 discount on Mysticism.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #88
britrock88
Pro Starter

Thanks for this!

I have a couple turns until the Late Bronze Age. I thought of buying Literacy straight off, as it is the most expensive advance I can afford. But Drama & Poetry allows me to spend the five 2s and $10 (saving the four 3s, a 1, and $1), and gives me a $20 discount toward Literacy in the future, which I think will be useful, because Literacy is the cheapest advance in Civics.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #89
Passacaglia
Coordinator

That's a good call, I don't think I'd noticed that about the $20 discount on Literacy with Drama & Poetry. That's a big deal for when you get to the Early Iron Age, and need to have all five groups. And if you have four 3s and five cities now, you should have no trouble getting to 6 3s next turn, putting you at 108, and you should be able to get up to three groups then.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #90
Autumn
Head Coach

Okay, I've read the rules several times, but not having a physical game in front of me makes some of this hard to figure out. Explain to me like I'm a five year old the decks. There are nine decks? It seems like each deck has a different value commodity card (and associated calamity) in it? So deck one has ochre and hides and deck nine has gold and ivory in it? Or am I not understanding that?

And if I have five cities I get to draw one from deck one, one from deck two, one from deck three, etc., up to five?

Oh and I see, you can always buy from the ninth deck. That explains an option I was given in another game. I might have explained things to myself. But tell me if I'm missing something.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #91
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Okay, I've read the rules several times, but not having a physical game in front of me makes some of this hard to figure out. Explain to me like I'm a five year old the decks. There are nine decks? It seems like each deck has a different value commodity card (and associated calamity) in it? So deck one has ochre and hides and deck nine has gold and ivory in it? Or am I not understanding that?

And if I have five cities I get to draw one from deck one, one from deck two, one from deck three, etc., up to five?

Oh and I see, you can always buy from the ninth deck. That explains an option I was given in another game. I might have explained things to myself. But tell me if I'm missing something.

Sounds like you have it exactly right. Buying a card from the ninth deck costs 18 from your treasury, so that's pretty expensive. Also, note that the people who have the least cities draw first, so if you have a lot of cities, decks 1 and 2 might be empty by the time it's your turn to draw.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #92
tarcone
Coordinator

How do I build a city?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #93
Warhammer
Pro Starter

6 guys in one area with a city site (marked by a black or white square) can build a city. You can use 12 guys to build a city in a non-city site.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #94
tarcone
Coordinator

So how do I build a city? The rules are not real clear.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #95
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

so you mean that you have to move all 6 guys at once? or maybe just move all the guys eventually onto the same place (as kong as the place can hold that many?)

Boats are confusing me. I have 2 boat icons and I don't know why. I built one I know. but now there are two icons. Are they actual units or do they go away? do they land on islands and turn into land units?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #96
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So how do I build a city? The rules are not real clear.

The way to build a city is to move 6 units onto a region with a city square (black, or white on a floodplain) during the movement phase. (You could also do 12 on a region without a city square.) Then, during the city construction phase, the site infers that you intend to build a city by default -- if you don't want to build a city where you have 6/12 gathered, click on the city icon surrounded by the dashed green square to turn the square red and cancel the city construction. When things are as you like, finalize the city construction phase and the cities will be built accordingly.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #97
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
so you mean that you have to move all 6 guys at once? or maybe just move all the guys eventually onto the same place (as kong as the place can hold that many?)

Boats are confusing me. I have 2 boat icons and I don't know why. I built one I know. but now there are two icons. Are they actual units or do they go away? do they land on islands and turn into land units?

Eventually onto the same place.

Boats are a tad bit tricky. They cost '2' to construct -- with those quotation marks, I mean that they can be built with 2 units, $2 from the treasury, or a combination thereof (though players don't have money in the treasury until they build cities).

Once you build a ship in a given location, it can travel 4 spaces through coastal water, carrying as many as 5 units at once. It can load/unload at any point on its journey. Once built, though, the ship cannot be converted back into units. The ships also must unload all units by its last move of the turn.

Ships also cost '1' to maintain per turn after their initial construction. Sometimes, it's better strategy to maintain a ship (frequent use in a nearby location); other times, it's better to sink one by failing to maintain it and build another later (in a far-off location, or for infrequent use).
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #98
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Eventually onto the same place.

Boats are a tad bit tricky. They cost '2' to construct -- with those quotation marks, I mean that they can be built with 2 units, $2 from the treasury, or a combination thereof (though players don't have money in the treasury until they build cities).

Once you build a ship in a given location, it can travel 4 spaces through coastal water, carrying as many as 5 units at once. It can load/unload at any point on its journey. Once built, though, the ship cannot be converted back into units. The ships also must unload all units by its last move of the turn.

Ships also cost '1' to maintain per turn after their initial construction. Sometimes, it's better strategy to maintain a ship (frequent use in a nearby location); other times, it's better to sink one by failing to maintain it and build another later (in a far-off location, or for infrequent use).

ugh .

well I'm fooked because I hit the wrong button and it wouldn't let me undo it.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #99
britrock88
Pro Starter

I see you as having 2 on Tarraconensis, 2 on Iberus, and a ship at Balaeres. If you think you ordered another ship this round and finalized it, go into the game and hit the "Reset Done" button at the top right corner. Then you should hopefully be able to cancel the production of the extra ship (and probably let the one you have go, too).
Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #100
Passacaglia
Coordinator

CF, I sent an email to the admin. I think you built a ship last turn, and that might have really screwed you. I'm hoping he can make it so you never built the ship last turn.