Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

SkyDog, we need a Mods Forum

The FOF2004 Gameplanner is already near the bottom of page 1, and I would have a hard time finding some logos if I were in need of any at this point.

Really, if there was a Mods forum it would atleast motivate myself to post my 32 fic. teams, my 32 real NFL logos I use, etc. for people to use..

Also, might want to consider breaking up into categories, right now we just use one big list.

Like for example.

[category]FOF/TCY [/category]
General Discussion
Dynasty Reports
Strategies
International House Of Football Multiplayer League
FOF 2004 Multiplayer Matchmaking
FOF/TCY Mods

[category]Other[/category]
College Football
Hattrick
PC/Console Game Impressions

What do ya'll think?

My oh my, FOFC is growing larger by the day.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Put the links to the mods in the thread at the top of the page.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:14 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

sigh.. mods will be added (maybe little things but still), all the time. Who is going to want to maintain this, post and add a link? It is IMO more of a hassle than we need.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:19 PM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I actually think Shorty has a solid idea here. A quick, one stop place to go for mods would be great, especially for guys who don't really come here for the General Off Topic Discussion, but just want specifics.

If it is no problem to do, why not have a mods forum? Hell, we have a hattrick forum and FOFC is not even affiliated with that.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:20 PM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

dola, just to add on....

When saying mods, I would think it would include everything from roster, to programming mods to helmets and logos.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 11-13-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Also, no one can check a post like they can a forum. People will see "ahh, that icon indicates a new thread. I will click to see what it is." Instead, they have to look at the same thread, go to the last page, scroll as far as they have to, and must identify recent posts. That seems like more trouble than it is worth. Also, the great mods like the Game Planner will be nothing more than a background graphic if they are just getting listed. Otherwise you could sticky important items...
Old 11-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
sigh.. mods will be added (maybe little things but still), all the time. Who is going to want to maintain this, post and add a link? It is IMO more of a hassle than we need.
Whenever a mod is added, just post it in the main thread, and I'll maintain it. If it gets out of hand, we'll go with plan "B." Keeping everything in one place is probably a good idea. I (generally) have a good grasp of what I do and don't have time to do. If I'm wrong on this one, I'll create a new forum, and name a mod.

--Ben
Old 11-13-2003, 02:22 PM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Also, no one can check a post like they can a forum. People will see "ahh, that icon indicates a new thread. I will click to see what it is." Instead, they have to look at the same thread, go to the last page, scroll as far as they have to, and must identify recent posts.
No, it will all be maintained in one post.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:23 PM   #9
korme
Go Reds

One post is even worse! How are you going to remember what you saw the day before? Try and pick out a new link of a mod? Come on now, this is common sense.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #10
Ben E Lou

Quote:
One post is even worse! How are you going to remember what you saw the day before? Try and pick out a new link of a mod? Come on now, this is common sense.
Whenever someone posts a new mod, I'm quite sure they'll start a new thread...
Old 11-13-2003, 02:28 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Whenever someone posts a new mod, I'm quite sure they'll start a new thread...

I am sure they will, but what if 5 months down the road you want to grab those Fritz' Air Attack game plan, or mckerney's 34th set of logos.

Having a mods forum would be nice to have in that situation.

That is one of the few fine features of the OOTP/400 forums, in fact, it is practically the only forums I actually visit over there.

Old 11-13-2003, 02:31 PM   #12
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
I am sure they will, but what if 5 months down the road you want to grab those Fritz' Air Attack game plan, or mckerney's 34th set of logos.

Having a mods forum would be nice to have in that situation.

That is one of the few fine features of the OOTP/400 forums, in fact, it is practically the only forums I actually visit over there.
1. Five months down the road, the game plan thread will still be going. Cthomer is moderating it.

2. If there are 34 sets of logos, then we'll have to revisit the idea.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:37 PM   #13
korme
Go Reds

There are aleady atleast 10 logos, and 3 or 4 wallpapers. I am sure there will be 34 in no time.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:51 PM   #14
Ben E Lou

Quote:
There are aleady atleast 10 logos, and 3 or 4 wallpapers. I am sure there will be 34 in no time.
Then post a link to the threads in the top thread so I can link to them.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #15
korme
Go Reds

they aren't mine, all of the originators can have fun looking for their own
Old 11-13-2003, 02:54 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
they aren't mine, all of the originators can have fun looking for their own
Ahhh...ok.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:48 PM   #17
Franklin
Banned

Remember when MOD music files were popular?
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:05 PM   #18
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Why not just make the Strategy Forum the Strategy/ Mods Forum?
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:59 PM   #19
korme
Go Reds

'Cause SkyDog is stubborn
Old 11-13-2003, 05:59 PM   #20
korme
Go Reds

Not that I think that is a good solution, just noting that SkyDog does not like change, and that's why not.

But mods deserve their own forum.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:05 PM   #21
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

I agree. It would be great for Skydog and myself to have a forum all of our own, away from the rabble in General Discussion.

Last edited by Ryan S : 11-13-2003 at 06:06 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:10 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Quote:
'Cause SkyDog is stubborn

Not that I think that is a good solution, just noting that SkyDog does not like change, and that's why not.

ROFLMBAO!!! "SkyDog does not like change." Now THAT is a riot. I'm considered one of the most innovative guys in my job in the entire Southeast. I'm CONSTANTLY changing the way we do things, to the point of annoying some of the high school kids (who do NOT like change). That couldn't be further from the truth.

As far as the "SkyDog is stubborn" comment goes, I prefer to think of it that I am "confident in my decision-making skills."

No, the reason has nothing to do with "not liking change" or being stubborn. The reason is that I think it is going to be best to do it the way I've mapped out for now. If it isn't, then I'll change it.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-13-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:13 PM   #23
korme
Go Reds

Whatever you say, Chief.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #24
mckerney
Coordinator

If mods get their own forum then the posers should too.

What? Off base? Nevermind then.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-13-2003 at 06:17 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:17 PM   #25
Franklin
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklin
Remember when MOD music files were popular?

Anyone? Anyone?

Not a single Amiga fanboy in the house, eh?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #26
Ben E Lou

Dola--

Incidentally, the plan "B" I referred to earlier in this thread is pretty much exactly what Nyar suggested. Blackie set a great precedent of not starting too many sub-forums. Generally speaking, I try to start new sub-forums only when a small subset of the board is going to be posting many threads that have little/no general interest at all (like Hattrick and multi leagues).
Old 11-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #27
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan S
I agree. It would be great for Skydog and myself to have a forum all of our own, away from the rabble in General Discussion.

Hold on there, I want to be included on any Mod forum there will be around here

FM
Old 11-13-2003, 06:18 PM   #28
Franklin
Banned

Quote:
ROFLMBAO!!! "SkyDog does not like change." Now THAT is a riot. I'm considered one of the most innovative guys in my job in the entire Southeast. I'm CONSTANTLY changing the way we do things, to the point of annoying some of the high school kids (who do NOT like change). That couldn't be further from the truth.

As far as the "SkyDog is stubborn" comment goes, I prefer to think of it that I am "confident in my decision-making skills."

No, the reason has nothing to do with "not liking change" or being stubborn. The reason is that I think it is going to be best to do it the way I've mapped out for now. If it isn't, then I'll change it.

Gotta agree with the HNIC here... he did take away the QOTM, after all... *grumble grumble*
Old 11-13-2003, 06:20 PM   #29
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Dola--

Incidentally, the plan "B" I referred to earlier in this thread is pretty much exactly what Nyar suggested. Blackie set a great precedent of not starting too many sub-forums. Generally speaking, I try to start new sub-forums only when a small subset of the board is going to be posting many threads that have little/no general interest at all (like Hattrick and multi leagues).

That is great that FOFC will have a large interest in FOF Mods. More the reason to give a forum, do you not understand? With every news article posted, each minor background image someone whips up drops down and subsequently is harder to find/never found at all by some..
Old 11-13-2003, 06:22 PM   #30
Ben E Lou

Quote:
That is great that FOFC will have a large interest in FOF Mods. More the reason to give a forum, do you not understand? With every news article posted, each minor background image someone whips up drops down and subsequently is harder to find/never found at all by some..
Particularly if we're talking a whole bunch of minor background images, the best solution is going to be a zip file containing many, rather than a forum with a whole bunch of threads.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:24 PM   #31
Ben E Lou

Dola--

Shorty, you're gonna lose this argument. I just thought I should let you know before you waste more mental energy on it. Until such time as it becomes a problem, this is how it is going to be handled. Right now we have a grand total of two image threads and one mod that have been submitted. Just wait and see how it plays out.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:37 PM   #32
mckerney
Coordinator

So Jim, gonna release the game soon?

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #33
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Dola--

Not that I need to stick my nose in this, but your "dola" was about 8 minutes and 3 posts off from being a real DOLA.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:11 PM   #34
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklin
Anyone? Anyone?

Yeah, I was an Amiga fanboy, but I didn't want to say so at first, because I thought you'd call me a faggot.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #35
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Anyone? Anyone?

MOD's were the only reason I loved the Amiga. I could stay up for hours making music....most of which was cool to nobody other than myself. Mostly a really bad attempt to imitate Front 242 and Nitzer Ebb.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote