Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2003, 04:15 PM   #1
Urlacher
n00b

is this year's game 'worth it'

or should I wait for the .400 studios game? I only have money to buy one. I have TCY and FOF2.

Urlacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
TroyF
Coordinator

This years game is worth it BUT. . .

If you only have money for one game, you should wait until both come out.

Everyone here can tell you that this a terrific game.

What they can't tell you is if .400 Studios effort will match it.

.400 would have to come up with something special to top this effort IMO.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:28 PM   #3
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF

Agreed.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I agree, and i am:

A spiteful owner of FOF4 who disdained it, and
A person salivating over TPF.

But yet I have to admit that FOF2k4 is just simply better than any incarnation that I have played.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 04:38 PM   #5
BishopMVP
Coordinator

As high as my hopes are for TPF, a first-generation game will have trouble matching up to FOF5.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
Urlacher
n00b

Boy are you in for a shocker, Bishop
Urlacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Urlacher

Ummm. . . this happens frequently, but I'm kind of confused.

You were the one who asked the original question, right?

How would you know Bishop is in for a shock?

TroyF
Old 11-24-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:

I think you answered your own question.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #9
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, just wait until TPF comes out, which I believe will be within 2-3 weeks. So if you've waited this long already, then I think you're okay for another little while..
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:40 PM   #10
Danny
Head Coach

Wait until both are out, play both demos then buy whichever you like the most. Pretty simple.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:47 PM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleEye11
Wait until both are out, play both demos then buy whichever you like the most. Pretty simple.

Well, to someone who really needs the answer to this question it isn't that simple. (I don't count Urlacher at this point as I don't know what his deal is)

The demo for FOF does not showcase the best part of the game. You really need to read the reviews, dynasties and thoughts on the full game from people to understand how good FOF really is.

I'm not sure what the demo of TPF will show. TPF could have the buggiest, worst release of all time, but have ONE really fun feature in it. If they were to put that in the demo, a person who isn't familiar with each game could easily make the decision to purchase that game over FOF.

TroyF
Old 11-24-2003, 05:56 PM   #12
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

troll alert, troll alert, woop, woop, wooop, everybody down, woop, woop

Funny how you come in here, ask a fairly reasonable question, then ruin it with a comment like this...

FM
Old 11-24-2003, 06:00 PM   #13
Danny
Head Coach

True Troy, but I cant think of any other legal means except reading what users have to say.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
jened
n00b

definately a troll post by a 400 studio employee or fan boy
jened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:46 PM   #15
Danny
Head Coach

Its certainly not a .400 employee.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:49 PM   #16
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, I don't think so either, EagleEye. Simply somebody with an answer to his own question...

FM
Old 11-24-2003, 06:55 PM   #17
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

For anyone who cares about my original comment, look at the evolution of other text-sim games. HeavyReign, Arles and Marc Vaughn as well as Jim have made multiple games now and you can see how much better and tighter they have become with each edition. There are things that FOF could still add (more media interaction and customiztion to name two) but overall it is probably the tightest game I've seen. After a quick little patch, what problems are being reported now? Rare end-game logic problems and punt return averages are messed up in one screen. No crashes, no freezing-up of systems and everything in the game working as intended. I just don't think TPF's first release will be able to match this. In order for it to be a better game, it is going to have to put in many more bells and whistles to make up for this, and I just don't think they are that many more possible additions. I feel TPF will be similar to TDCB, where it looked nice, but didn't feel as good as it should. I'm still looking forward to TDCB2 (although I'll definitely wait until both TDCB and FBCB come out to decide next time.) I really hope it succeeds because competition is good (I get the feeling TPF already had a little to do with Jim putting in multiplayer.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-24-2003 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:06 PM   #18
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Just from the fact that Urlacher is basically an unused account created in July, I think I figured it out.

Step 1 - After vowing revenge, Happy29 developed TPF, and it is so good it will render FOF irrelevant.
Step 2 - he comes over here and mocks FOF, bringing newbies and football simulation fans over to .400.
Step 3 - With no game to talk about and bring in new members, FOFC dissolves and he declares victory.

STILL UNDEFEATED!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:29 PM   #19
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by BishopMVP
Just from the fact that Urlacher is basically an unused account created in July, I think I figured it out.

Step 1 - After vowing revenge, Happy29 developed TPF, and it is so good it will render FOF irrelevant.
Step 2 - he comes over here and mocks FOF, bringing newbies and football simulation fans over to .400.
Step 3 - With no game to talk about and bring in new members, FOFC dissolves and he declares victory.

STILL UNDEFEATED!

STILL UNDEFEATED was BillyMadison, but I guess in this situation it doesn't matter. :o
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:53 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Actually I suspect it was Vulcan/Maximus. He can never stop himself from using a Bears avatar or reference.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:53 PM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
STILL UNDEFEATED was BillyMadison, but I guess in this situation it doesn't matter. :o

I know, but "I will come back stronger than ever!" and "Cocky and Funny" didn't fit the context.

Quote:
Originally posted by EaglesFan27
Actually I suspect it was Vulcan/Maximus. He can never stop himself from using a Bears avatar or reference.

I can't even keep up with every troublemaker in my old age, they're mostly the same now. I remember back in the Golden Age when the troublemakers were wignasty and HM - occasionally annoying but at least funny.

PS - With everyone getting custom titles these days, how long is it before someone requests either Cocky and Funny or Still Undefeated as theirs?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-24-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:04 PM   #22
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

FWIW, Urlacher has two different IP's, and both are unique to him. No matches.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:07 PM   #23
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, daddy has checked in, better keep quiet guys

FM
Old 11-24-2003, 09:32 PM   #24
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Actually it could be an honest response. He certainly thinks that the two games will be closely matched otherwise he wouldn't have bothered asking if FOF 2004 was worth getting over TPF. When someone comes out and says that they don't think that TPF will match the other, which is against his belief then what would you really expect him to say?
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:05 PM   #25
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
FWIW, Urlacher has two different IP's, and both are unique to him. No matches.

Could be an example of the magic of running through proxy.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 PM   #26
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaFringe
Actually it could be an honest response. He certainly thinks that the two games will be closely matched otherwise he wouldn't have bothered asking if FOF 2004 was worth getting over TPF. When someone comes out and says that they don't think that TPF will match the other, which is against his belief then what would you really expect him to say?

Then I wouldn't expect him to ask for an opinion at all. If his opinion is set in stone and inflexible, why bother with any of our opinions?

Sometimes it can be hard to detect "tone" in a message board post. In the case of Urlacher's second post, the tone is hard to miss.

He clearly has his mind made up about TPF. I don't really care why that is. Fanboy, beta tester, optimistic buyer. It doesn't matter. Nobody else here has any concrete idea of why FOF2004 should be bought over TPF. We haven't seen the game. How can we possibly make the case that FOF WILL be a superior game?

All we can do is give our thoughts. Bishop's thought was a first generation game would have difficulty matching a fifth generation game. . . something that is fairly reasonable I think.

Maybe Urlacher is right and Bishop and the rest of us will be "shocked." I hope I am. The more quality football games the merrier. I'm just confused why someone would come ask a question when:

1) there can be no informed answer

and

2) his mind seems to be made up already.

TroyF
Old 11-24-2003, 11:20 PM   #27
bigphesta
n00b

both games quality?

Last edited by bigphesta : 11-24-2003 at 11:22 PM.
bigphesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:38 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by bigphesta
both games quality?

Since only one is out, that can't be answered. In my opinion, FOF2004 is the best of the series, and it looks like others feel the same way. Jim has knocked this one out of the park.

Even though the person trolling with the initial post of this board seems to think that TPF will somehow avoid every problem that a first generation game usually has, there is no way that one can honestly say that and believe it.

With that said, I would have to think that FOF2004 will be by far the better product. (Basic 2+2 addition here: 5th version that looks to be the best version of the best football text sim out versus 1st generation game)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:39 PM   #29
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

I have a very hard time imagining a first release of TPF approaching the quality of FOF2004.

Why?

1. Jim has raised the bar a quite a bit between this release and FOF4, which never gripped me. I find myself engrossed in FOF2004 in a way that the FOF series hasn't done since the first incarnation of the game. I've already played this one more than the last two iterations of the game. Couple in the fact that this one shipped almost bug free, and those bugs were squashed within a week with a patch, and he's got a winner here.

2. As much as it pains me, it has to be said. .400's reputation for releasing a quality product right out of the box isn't exactly the best. Yes, TDCB eventually got patched into a pretty good game (though I think FBCB maybe a better game on the same topic), but out of the box it was a debacle. I think TPF has a chance to be great, and there is definitely room for a second football sim, but I have a hard time seeing it surpassing FOF at this point.

You're close enough to look at both, but frankly, I may give TPF a look at some time, and probably will pick it up down the road. First though, I'm going to have to stop playing FOF 2004 long enough to play another game.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:43 PM   #30
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:

given that TroyF is not one to chuck around praise, I would take this as a ringing endorsement.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:48 PM   #31
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Then I wouldn't expect him to ask for an opinion at all. If his opinion is set in stone and inflexible, why bother with any of our opinions?

I didn't get the impression that his opinion was set in stone and inflexible. Actually, I was under the impression that he had high expectations of TPF but since FOF 2004 was already out that if others gave enough praise then he would buy that instead. Seems flexible enough and a reasonable enough question regardless of his initial opinion or regardless of TPF having not been released yet. I was also interested in hearing what FOF 2004 users had to say in response to the question since I am also looking forward to TPF with high expectations and still on the fence about which one to buy.

I just felt that it was a bit much to label him a Troll on such a minor remark about his opinion. Fan boy? Maybe. However, Troll might have been a bit too harsh and too presumptuous.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:00 AM   #32
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Given some past performances of the .400 fan boys, I think troll is quite fitting. Especially since what Bishop said was merely that a first generation game would have trouble matching up with FOF2004.

If he was really wondering about the games, Bishop's statement would be seen as a ringing endorsement of FOF2004.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:07 AM   #33
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

After re-reading Bishop’s & Urlacher's remarks I would like to say, Troll....

It was the “Boy” used to start the statement off as well as the “ringing endorsement” point made above that changed my mind.

My points from before do in fact fit well with my situation though. I am really looking forward to TPF and will only buy one football sim this year. Until the game is released and a demo is available so that I may personally compare it to FOF 2004 I am interested in hearing anything that current users may have to say about the game, good or bad.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:12 AM   #34
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I plan on getting TPF at some point and will gladly compare the two, but I might wait until I hear for certain how the release goes. I did not get FOF4 and some of what I heard on here led me to that decision, plus the fact that I liked FOF2001 that I still played.

This release is by far the best of the series, in my opinion. I am still a little hesitant over the multiplayer options that it has but that's not really my main reason for playing this game. My inital hope is that TPF gets the MP part right so I can use FOF for my single player experience and TPF for multi-player.

I may use the FOF multiplayer feature a little with friends, similar to how we used to do with Hockey League Simulator back in the day.