Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2004, 04:21 PM   #1
BigDPW
College Prospect

Question Anyone have Digital Cable and TIVO???

I am curious about how the combination will work... I have Digital Cable now with COX Cable... At this point they do not offer a DVR capable reciever and that is something I want to get soon... They say that it is "coming to my area soon" but are non-comittal about how soon that will be when I ask...

I love the idea of TIVO (season passes, etc.) and I would love to have that service but I am unsure if the digital cable and Tivo combo would work as well as say Satelitte and Tivo or Digital Cable and a DVR ready box...

Ultimately I would like to have a two tuner set up so I can watch one thing live while recording another... I am aware that this is possible with some satelitte/Tivo setups but I don't know about digital cable/Tivo setups??? Anyone know???

(I would upgrade to Satelitte/Tivo but they do not offer local channels on any of the Satelitte programming in my area and we are not among the areas to recieve such service in the next year)

BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
SegRat
High School Varsity

I dont have TIVO, but I do have the DVR. DVR is great. I dont think I could live with out this. Working second shift, DVR is a life saver. I never miss any episodes of my favorite shows.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
BigDPW
College Prospect

So you have a DVR with your Digital Cable... Which cable company do you have in your area???
Old 02-07-2004, 08:31 PM   #4
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

I have TiVo with digital cable. it's wonderful.

i heart TiVo
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
Anthony
Banned

i have a DVR through Time Warner. greatest thing in the world. don't see how ad-companies like it though, makes commercials moot. my wife and i tape everything we want to watch even if we're home that night, so that even if she wants to watch, say, Friends, which comes on at 8pm, she'll tape it and start watching the show at 8:15. rather than wait till the whole show is over she pretty much gets it real time just without the shitty commercials. DVR is great, i highly recommend it. my wife can't live without it cuz she's more of a TV watcher than i.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:13 PM   #6
tucker342
Pro Starter

I have TiVo and Digital Cable, you can't watch live T.V. and record at the same time, of course you can watch a recorded show and record something at the same time...

I love TiVo, I don't know how I lived without it
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:24 PM   #7
SegRat
High School Varsity

Yes I have digital cable through Time Warner.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:02 AM   #8
BigDPW
College Prospect

Does anyone know if there is a way to watch live TV while recording with TIVO if I have digital cable???
Old 02-08-2004, 12:38 AM   #9
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW
Does anyone know if there is a way to watch live TV while recording with TIVO if I have digital cable???

Yes there is but you won't get all the channels. For example, with my Comcast I can get the standard cable that includes 80 something channels w/o a box and all the rest with. You can have one line go into your digital cable box and have one go into your TIVO. However, the TIVO will only record the channels that you receive w/o a box. This works fine for me because there is not much else that I'd want to record on the "digital" channels.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:35 AM   #10
BigDPW
College Prospect

Ok... I have a similar setup now for my picture in picture... Regular Cable (Before connecting to the Digital Box) running to one tuner and the Digital Cable output running to the other tuner...

I have searched but I haven't found any dual tuner TIVOs that are not DirecTV versions... Anyone know if they make one???

I did see the DVD-Burner from Panasonic that has Tivo... It is sweet but starts at about 1000 bones... Way too much for me...
Old 02-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
Daimyo
College Starter

They don't make dual-tuner TIVO's for non-DirectTV. I had read a rumor on the TiVo community forum that that functionality might be coming down the road, but I wouldn't wait for it. Really that functionality is extremely overrated anyway. Just about every show on cable is repeated 5 or 6 times throughout the week anyway. The only time it would really be an issue is if major networks played two things at the same time and that could be resolved using the method described above. (some networks replay shows on there sister networks anyway.. like The Apprentice is repeated on CNBC throughout the week).

If you really do need to handle multiple digital channels at the same time, you would have to have two digital receivers. Hook one of them up to the TIVO and one of them directly to the TV. I can't imagine that would ever be necessary though.

For everything TiVo check out the TiVo Community forums

Last edited by Daimyo : 02-08-2004 at 12:55 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #12
BigDPW
College Prospect

Does the TIVO receiver/module dual as a tuner for regular TV watching??? If I were just watching TV would I be viewing my Digtial Cable interface or the TIVO interface??? I am unsure if the TIVO is able to tune to all of the channels on digital cable without it "controlling" the tuner within my digital cable box... (or is the digital cable box a "Slave" of the TIVO box)... IF so I would think that I could split the digital cable output (one to the TV and one to the TIVO) and I would essentially have access to all of my channels while recording??? Anyone know if this works???
Old 02-08-2004, 08:06 PM   #13
Daimyo
College Starter

For digital channels (and analog with some companies) you hook your cable feed into the cable box. Then you hook the cable box up the TiVo. The TiVo comes with an "IR Blaster" cable and a serial cable that it uses to control the cable box (depending on the cable box model).

So, the cable from your wall goes into the cable box, you connect the cable box to the TiVo (preferably with S-Video cable). Then you connect the TiVo to the digital box with the serial cable. Now when the TiVo needs to change channels it sends the signal to the serial port and the digital box changes the channel. The TiVo in this case would not be doing any tuning.

Last edited by Daimyo : 02-08-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:04 PM   #14
Daimyo
College Starter

DOLA, for what you want you'd get a splitter and insert it before the cable feed gets to the cable box. From there you plug one end to the cable box that hooks up to the TiVo. The other end you can plug directly into your TV (or VCR). That way the TiVo could record anything and you could watch non-digital channels through the TV/VCR's tuner. You caould also get a second digital cable box and plug the other end into that and be able to watch any channel live while the TiVo records from the other box.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:48 AM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
i have a DVR through Time Warner. greatest thing in the world. don't see how ad-companies like it though, makes commercials moot. my wife and i tape everything we want to watch even if we're home that night, so that even if she wants to watch, say, Friends, which comes on at 8pm, she'll tape it and start watching the show at 8:15. rather than wait till the whole show is over she pretty much gets it real time just without the shitty commercials. DVR is great, i highly recommend it. my wife can't live without it cuz she's more of a TV watcher than i.
You realize my marketing advertising people will love to see something like that HA...

(works for Time Warner Cable)
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 03:09 AM   #16
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I had a Tivo when I previously had digital cable through Time Warner, I had no problems and really enjoyed having it. I was going to get one of their DVR boxes but I ended up switching to satellite anyway and I have the satellite Tivo which I am super happy with, the dual tuners feature is very nice.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:55 AM   #17
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Though I haven't tried this, theorhetically you should be able to all of your DigitalCable with dual tuners. The trick being that you'd have to buy a second Digital Tuner for that TV. If you split the cable to go to the separate tuners, then have on tuner go to TiVo before the TV, you should be able to receive the full lineup on both tuners. You may want to skip the second tuner box and send the second split directly to the TV, though. However, if you already have your DVD player hooked to your second antenna and your PS2 or XBOX hooked to your third antenna, you run out of antennas relatively quickly.

I have TiVo with Comcast cable. I love it. I watch more TV in less time than I did before and I don't have to worry about sitting through commercials.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:55 PM   #18
BigDPW
College Prospect

Thanks for all of your help...

My wife and I will know where we are going for residency in about a month... (hopefully we will be staying here in Greenville, NC) We figure we will hold off until we move this June and then reassess where ever we may be... Who knows we may have access to Satellite with local channels where we end up (ideal for dual tuner TIVO) or Cox Cable here in G-ville may have their DVR setup out by then (cheaper than TIVO but less functions)...