Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
In Harm's Way

One of the nice thing about Memorial Day is there are plenty of "War" movies on cable.

Just now I finished watchin In Harm's Way (1965) Starring John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Patty Neal, and Burgess Meredith. It was a fantastic movie with a solid story and good acting.

Has anyone else here seen it?

Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
One of the nice thing about Memorial Day is there are plenty of "War" movies on cable.

Just now I finished watchin In Harm's Way (1965) Starring John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Patty Neal, and Burgess Meredith. It was a fantastic movie with a solid story and good acting.

Has anyone else here seen it?

Seen it many times. Right up there with From Here to Eternity. Even went so far as to having the name Rockwell (from John Wayne's character Rockwell Torrey) as the number one runner-up to my first son's eventual winner, Alexander (yes, from that Alexander). My wife really liked Rockwell, until she gave birth and wimped out.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Thumbs up

Currently I am re-watching Band of Brothers and will likely take in a couple of the older war movies I have during the next week or so.

Obviously we all know about the current generation of WWII films, but what are some of your guys' favorite older war flicks?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
wahoomac
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Currently I am re-watching Band of Brothers and will likely take in a couple of the older war movies I have during the next week or so.

Obviously we all know about the current generation of WWII films, but what are some of your guys' favorite older war flicks?

Actually one of my favorite war movies was In Harm's Way. It is my favorite John Wayne movie. I have seen it twice in the last two days. In my top 3 would be: In Harm's Way, Saving Private Ryan, and Midway (which I have seen this weekend as well).

Band of Brothers DVD was one of my best purchases. The book is very good as well.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I would also put "In Harms Way" up there. I was very impressed.

Cross of Iron
Sands of Iwo Jima
To Hell and Back
Hell is for Heros

Are all good.

For an earlier period I suggest Zulu (NOT Zulu Dawn), which is Michael's Caines first major role.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I love Zulu.

That's a damn good movie.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:27 AM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Not so much with John Wayne for me. Mr. Movie Hero dodges the draft in WW II because he said he needed to take care of his family. He promptly divorces his wife and hits the town with starlets gallore. He proceeds to milk the WWII war movie theme to his dying days for millions. Not so much with the John Wayne for me.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

The same john wayne who was an alternate to get into the Naval Academy? The guy who was denied an application to enter the military when ww2 started because of an injury. The guy who did many USO tours from WW2 to Vietnam? The guy who "only" did 18 (3 of which were before ww2 and at least 2 of which were not about ww2) military movies out of 250? (well, some of the westerns were military too I suppose) That guy?

Last edited by Fritz : 05-31-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 11:07 AM   #9
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Wasn't John Wayne an All American End for USC back in the day?