Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2005, 04:07 AM   #1151
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Patch: Version 8.34 is out

* Improved AI for releasing older minor leaguers
* Improved minor league fielding stats

http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=79301

not the final patch yet . there will be one final patch coming.

Last edited by jbmagic : 07-09-2005 at 04:12 AM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:38 PM   #1152
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
Patch: Version 8.34 is out

* Improved AI for releasing older minor leaguers
* Improved minor league fielding stats

http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=79301

not the final patch yet . there will be one final patch coming.

We would we be without you jb? Thanks for the link...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #1153
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
We would we be without you jb? Thanks for the link...
I think that jb's typing skills are rubbing off on you....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #1154
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro

come on

we are in the same NAFL league. we have to stick together.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #1155
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
come on

we are in the same NAFL league. we have to stick together.

You mean HFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBPro

Too much jb?
Old 07-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #1156
jbmagic
Pro Starter

NAFL i am in same league as FBpro

HFL i am in same league with Todd

that what i meant

ok back to Baseball Mogul topic
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 AM   #1157
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Patch 8.35 is out.

* Fantasy draft fixed (for more than 1 human team)
* Improved error-checking of Predicted Stats for fictional rookies
* Improved AI for releasing low-talent minor league players

http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=79481
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 AM   #1158
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Patch 8.36 is out

* Fixed player creation bug in 8.35
* Improved interface for more than one human player

http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=79771
Old 07-20-2005, 03:20 AM   #1159
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Patch 8.35 is out.

* Fantasy draft fixed (for more than 1 human team)
* Improved error-checking of Predicted Stats for fictional rookies
* Improved AI for releasing low-talent minor league players

http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=79481
jb, I appreciate the thought with this post but you should have seen that 8.35 was actually "recalled" since the download link was removed.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #1160
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C
jb, I appreciate the thought with this post but you should have seen that 8.35 was actually "recalled" since the download link was removed.

yep, that why i posted patch 8.36 after.

i just wanted to show what he attempted to fix on 8.35
Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #1161
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think it's safe to assume this game was a waste of money for me. Oh well, last time that will happen.

Seems as if Football Mogul is now on the horizon.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #1162
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I think it's safe to assume this game was a waste of money for me. Oh well, last time that will happen.

Seems as if Football Mogul is now on the horizon.
Do you mean that there won't be an 8.50 patch as promised?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-23-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:46 PM   #1163
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And oddly, I pretty much feel like I got my money's worth out of it. Heck, I didn't play it to get any great amount of realism out of it, I just enjoyed the nostalgia of seeing a lot of familiar names come & go.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #1164
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

The way the Baseball Mogul franchise has gone is very sad. I remember when I was in middle school and played my first version (99 i think). I must have spent countless hours playing that game and that was my introduction into text sims....Its a shame the state of things right now.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #1165
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Do you mean that there won't be an 8.50 patch as promised?

Not sure about that, but considering what we have now... I don't expect much from it.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #1166
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I didn't play it to get any great amount of realism out of it.

That's actually a funny statement and is the reason the game does nothing for me.

It's not the first nor probably the last game that did that to me though.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:01 PM   #1167
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's actually a funny statement and is the reason the game does nothing for me.

I think this might be a case where expectations had an impact on results.
By the time I bought it, I had a pretty fair idea what the limitations were, so my decision came with that factored into what it took to satisfy me with the purchase.

I think Mogul at this point might be viewed in roughly the same light as a tabletop game called Baseball Classics. Even those of us who like Classics fairly well usuall admit that we aren't playing it for accuracy or really anything other than the basic fun of passing some time with a simple game.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:26 PM   #1168
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I think this might be a case where expectations had an impact on results.
By the time I bought it, I had a pretty fair idea what the limitations were, so my decision came with that factored into what it took to satisfy me with the purchase.

I think Mogul at this point might be viewed in roughly the same light as a tabletop game called Baseball Classics. Even those of us who like Classics fairly well usuall admit that we aren't playing it for accuracy or really anything other than the basic fun of passing some time with a simple game.

i agree totally with this concept, i had more fun getting guys like clemens, johnson, and griffey and keeping them for their entire careers just to see what their stats ended up like than anything (clemens has won almost 500 games in 22 seasons, and randy johnson has over 5000 k's...my angels have won 19 consecutive world series, and i still make money every season...who said it isnt a realistic game)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:35 PM   #1169
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
The way the Baseball Mogul franchise has gone is very sad. I remember when I was in middle school and played my first version (99 i think). I must have spent countless hours playing that game and that was my introduction into text sims....Its a shame the state of things right now.

The only thing sadder is that someone posts this message every year. Every year we get duped into thinking this is the year SM will turn it around and put out a decent product. And it never happens.

All I know is that the forums are dead over there and no one seems to care (anymore) about what happens to the franchise. Had they showed some more respect for the consumer base in terms of communication and testing, things could have turned out quite differently.

Clay promised another patch in August 3 weeks ago, but we are quickly running out of time and he posts far more often in the Football () Mogul forum these days. And as some others have said, I doubt it it would fix anything anyways.

Last edited by amdaily : 08-23-2005 at 03:38 PM.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 PM   #1170
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
The only thing sadder is that someone posts this message every year. Every year we get duped into thinking this is the year SM will turn it around and put out a decent product. And it never happens.

All I know is that the forums are dead over there and no one seems to care (anymore) about what happens to the franchise. Had they showed some more respect for the consumer base in terms of communication and testing, things could have turned out quite differently.

Clay promised another patch in August 3 weeks ago, but we are quickly running out of time and he posts far more often in the Football () Mogul forum these days. And as some others have said, I doubt it it would fix anything anyways.

Perfectly said.. and well, my thoughts exactly. I'll go back to treating the mogul series like a box that reads, "Ages 9 and up".
Old 09-15-2005, 05:31 AM   #1171
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMogul Newsletter
3. BASEBALL MOGUL 2006 "FINAL PATCH"

In July, we promised a "final patch" for Baseball Mogul 2006 that would
fix buggy General Manager AI (that repeatedly signed and released certain
players) and the resulting simulation slowdown.

We are unfortunately still working on this patch. We were able to fix a
similar issue with Football Mogul, so we should be able to have this
problem fixed and patched in the next two weeks.

We'll see.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:44 AM   #1172
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow this game and it's "issues" are like an ex-girlfriend form high school that just won't go away.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:51 AM   #1173
amdaily
College Prospect

Unofficial patch 8.39 is now out: http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=86055

I'd ask that you try this one out and report any bugs to Clay as once it is finalized, it will probably be the final patch for 2K6.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #1174
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
Unofficial patch 8.39 is now out: http://www.sportsmogul.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=86055

I'd ask that you try this one out and report any bugs to Clay as once it is finalized, it will probably be the final patch for 2K6.
Frustration, they name is Mogul 2K6. IF (which is a big "if") the sign-and-release issue can be truly fixed, this could be a very fun game, so once again, I'm going to give it a shot this evening and do some bug reporting.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #1175
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Frustration, they name is Mogul 2K6. IF (which is a big "if") the sign-and-release issue can be truly fixed, this could be a very fun game, so once again, I'm going to give it a shot this evening and do some bug reporting.

So far it is looking better, but by no means perfect. There aren't many guys being signed and released 6 times in 1 season, but some well rated players are signing 5/6 year (or more commonly, 1 year) deals and being released 2 months into the season. Most of these guys are 35+ years old though.

Based on the number of FA available mid season, the AI seems to be a better job of releasing the dead weight in their minor league system.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #1176
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C
SPORTS MOGUL ANNOUNCES CONTEST WINNERS

Sports Mogul is happy to announce the conclusion of the Baseball Mogul 2006 Publicity Contest, designed to reward Baseball Mogul fans who did the best job of getting the word out about the newest version of Baseball Mogul.

[b] First prize ($150.00) goes to Ben Lewis, for starting an extremely popular thread at GameSpy's Front Office Football forum.

Wow... after bailing out on both this thread and this game some time ago, I just got around to reading this.

It sure puts a lot of the discussion into a different context for me.

Uh, congratulations, SkyDog, on your cash prize.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #1177
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Wow... after bailing out on both this thread and this game some time ago, I just got around to reading this.

It sure puts a lot of the discussion into a different context for me.

Uh, congratulations, SkyDog, on your cash prize.
For the record, I found out about the contest when it was announced in the Sports Mogul newsletter e-mail on 3/22/05, nearly three weeks AFTER I started this thread. Considering that the e-mail said that the "contest starts now," I didn't realize that I was even eligible until Clay informed me that I'd won. Sit down.

Quote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Clay Dreslough" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: Sports Mogul March Newsletter

> Sports Mogul fans,
>
> Here in Connecticut, we're having "The First Snowstorm of Spring". But I'm told that Opening Day is less than two weeks away! We all know what that means...
>
> 1. BASEBALL MOGUL 2006 RELEASED
>
> We recently released "Baseball Mogul 2006" for sale by download. We will be posting a free demo shortly, and the boxed version should be back from the manufacturer in the next 7 days.
>
> This year's version has already been described as "revolutionary" and "the best Baseball Mogul ever". We rewrote major sections of the game this year to provide several major new features:
>
> - NEW All-Time Leaders! Active and all-time career and single-season leaders tracked for over 75 stats.
>
> - NEW Historical Rookies! Start in any historical season and Baseball Mogul will automatically include minor and major league players for every team. As you build your dynasty, real rookies from seasons past become available for the Amateur Draft.
>
> - NEW Player Personalities and Morale! Manage the individual personalities of your team to build the right team chemistry.
>
> - NEW Expanded Contract Negotiations! Arbitration. Free agency. Use player options and no-trade clauses to sweeten the deal and land the best players.
>
> - NEW Minor League System! Manage up to 100 players in your farm system. From draft day until retirement, you are in control of the entire organization. Track player development using new written scouting reports and stats for high school, college and every minor league level.
>
> - NEW Expansion Teams! Baseball Mogul automatically adds new teams and new stadiums as they occurred throughout history, and conducts an expansion draft with protected players.
>
> - NEW Rosters! Detailed career stats and ratings through Opening Day 2005, including over 10,000 players.
>
> Here are some useful links:
>
> Baseball Mogul 2006 Main Page:
> http://www.sportsmogul.com/baseballcd/index.htm
>
> Baseball Mogul 2006 Order Form:
> http://www.sportsmogul.com/orders/orderbaseball2k6.htm
>
> Baseball Mogul 2006 Screen Shots
> http://www.sportsmogul.com/baseballcd/screens
>
> Despite all the new features, Baseball Mogul 2006 is still only $19.95.
>
> IMPORTANT NOTE: Our ordering system went down from Monday afternoon (March 21st) through midday Tuesday (March 22nd). If you tried to order during this time, please try again now that their system is working again.
>
> 2. BASEBALL MOGUL 2006 PUBLICITY CONTEST
>
> There are thousands of sports-related web sites and forums -- but I don't have time to visit all of them and let people know about the new version of Baseball Mogul. Moreover, actual Baseball Mogul fans are the best advocates for the game. In recognition of this, we're sponsoring a contest to encourage you to spread the word about Baseball Mogul 2006 (and Baseball Mogul Online). And we're awarding the following prizes:
>
> First prize: $150.00
>
> Second prize: $75.00
>
> Runners up (5): A free download of Baseball Mogul 2006 (or CD-ROM if you already bought the download version)
>
> If you have a sports-related web site, post your thoughts about Baseball Mogul and link to www.sportsmogul.com. If you frequent an online forum or chat-room, start a discussion about Baseball Mogul and send sports fans to our site.
>
> Then drop me an e-mail ([email protected]) to let me know where you are plugging Baseball Mogul. The contest will run from now until April 30. At the end of April, we will check our web logs and find the most popular sites that sent unique visitors to www.sportsmogul.com (or www.baseballmogul.com, or our online forums). The top sites will win the prizes listed above.
>
> I'm reserving the right to change the rules if needed, and to disqualify anyone who tries to circumvent the spirit of the rules. In the event that multiple people plug us on the same site (e.g. Google Groups), I'll decide how to award the prizes fairly.
>
> In any case, the contest starts now, so please help us spread the word about Baseball Mogul 2006!
>
> Thanks for your time. And thanks again for your continued support!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Clay
>
> Clay Dreslough
> President, Sports Mogul Inc.
> [email protected]
Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #1178
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Sit down.

Yes, sir.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #1179
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Sit down.

Hey, way to put this insurrectionist in his place...
Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #1180
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Hey, way to put this insurrectionist in his place...
I do not appreciate for one moment anyone questioning my integrity, whether directly or in a passive-aggressive manner.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #1181
Swaggs
Coordinator

The posters don't understand the kinds of problems and pressures $150.00 come wit'!
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #1182
QuikSand
lolzcat

For what it's worth, before this gets away from me completely, I will offer that I accept SkyDog's explanation of the timeline of events, and retract my suggestion (and that is what it was) that he was being motivated by the reward. I accept his explanation not based on any evidence, but just because he says it is so.

I also did take a look though the stuff he posted in this thread, and it's very clear that there's no way that a trifling monetary reward could justify that much effort -- he clearly put a ton of time into testing the game engine and offering feedback, and there's no doubt that his extended comments here heightened a lot of people's interest in the game.

The cash prize just seemed really odd to me... and I reacted too quickly. I felt like my objections were really shouted down earlier in this thread (justifiably, I still think), and I suspect that fueled my reaction today. I never understood the enthusiasm for this game, and perhaps I stepped in this conversation without any right to expect a positive outcome. Stepping back in (after seeing it get bumped today for whatever reason) was clearly a bad idea.

I'll sit back down now.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:37 PM   #1183
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
For what it's worth, before this gets away from me completely, I will offer that I accept SkyDog's explanation of the timeline of events, and retract my suggestion (and that is what it was) that he was being motivated by the reward. I accept his explanation not based on any evidence, but just because he says it is so.

I also did take a look though the stuff he posted in this thread, and it's very clear that there's no way that a trifling monetary reward could justify that much effort -- he clearly put a ton of time into testing the game engine and offering feedback, and there's no doubt that his extended comments here heightened a lot of people's interest in the game.

The cash prize just seemed really odd to me... and I reacted too quickly. I felt like my objections were really shouted down earlier in this thread (justifiably, I still think), and I suspect that fueled my reaction today. I never understood the enthusiasm for this game, and perhaps I stepped in this conversation without any right to expect a positive outcome. Stepping back in (after seeing it get bumped today for whatever reason) was clearly a bad idea.

I'll sit back down now.
Thanks, Quik. I appreciate it.

--Ben
Old 09-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #1184
Bee
Pro Starter

He just wants your Bud Light...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #1185
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I do not appreciate for one moment anyone questioning my integrity, whether directly or in a passive-aggressive manner.

I can appreciate this...but the command to "Sit Down" sounds like an order someone in a position of authority would say to somebody under them, rather than something that would be said to a relative peer.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #1186
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
I can appreciate this...but the command to "Sit Down" sounds like an order someone in a position of authority would say to somebody under them, rather than something that would be said to a relative peer.
Ah. Cultural thing, I guess. Used to say it in the back yard when a shot was put in someone's face. In high school, it expanded to my friends and I would say it whenever someone was rebuffed or rebuked.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #1187
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
The posters don't understand the kinds of problems and pressures $150.00 come wit'!

Gold!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #1188
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Ah. Cultural thing, I guess. Used to say it in the back yard when a shot was put in someone's face. In high school, it expanded to my friends and I would say it whenever someone was rebuffed or rebuked.

Ahhh...admittedly, I stink at trash talk (probably because I never have the occasion to actually use it...).
Old 09-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #1189
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Gold!

That cracked me up too.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #1190
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can this thread die now? Baseball Mogul was a mistake I don't want to think about anymore.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #1191
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can this thread die now? Baseball Mogul was a mistake I don't want to think about anymore.

Quick someone give me a stake and a hammer. Die you unholy game!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:41 AM   #1192
amdaily
College Prospect

Clay just posted 8.50, the final patch for 2006, in the auto update.

I'm going to check it out this afternoon.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #1193
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

*holds breath*
Old 10-21-2005, 10:40 AM   #1194
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Version 8.50 (Final Patch for BB2K6):

* 'Sort Lineup for Injuries' button fixed (was changing when 'Auto Sort' was clicked)
* Minor League pitching ERAs adjusted
* Links fixed in HTML help
Old 10-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #1195
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
*holds breath*

i wouldn't:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGM

On the play by play topic, I've seen this a few times. (this just happened now):

Carlos Lee is on 1st.
Matt Holliday grounds out to short.
Carlos lee stays on 1st.

Now, either Carlos Lee should be on 2nd with 1st open, or Holliday on 1st if it was a fielders choice.

I was watching the PBP when it happened, and Lee stayed on first. Never scored cuz the inning ended 1 out later, but he was still on first.

Clay won't bother fixing it, though:

Cool. Thanks for the info (you too, jonnymo). I just posted 8.50, which I think is the final patch. I realize BB2K6 still has some bugs, like this one, but I won't be able to fix it without significantly editing the Play-By-Play code, so it's going to have to wait until next version. This info helps though.

Thx,

Clay
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote