Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #1
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich

Anyone looking forward to this? It comes out this week. I'm probably going to wait to finish KOTOR 2 before I pick this up, but I absolutely loved the first one.

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 03-07-2005 at 12:46 PM.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
jbmagic
Pro Starter

do you have to pay monthly to play this game online?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
do you have to pay monthly to play this game online?

You didn't before. I don't think so.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Anyone looking forward to this? It comes out this week. I'm probably going to wait to finish KOTOR 2 before I pick this up, but I absolutely loved the first one.

I hope this one works with SP2.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I loved the first one and already have the second one on order!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

Just tried the demo, and it worked fine. The old one stopped working with sp2?
Old 03-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #7
Calis
College Starter

They released a patch that made the original work with SP2 just within the last couple weeks.

Loved the first game, but I'm going to have to wait a while on this one. Busy time at school and Silent Hunter 3 coming out next week.

No, there's no monthly fee either, although the multiplayer was pretty bleh in the original.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really enjoyed the first one and will get this at some point, but I am so busy with FM and MVP right now (plus KOTOR 2 hopefully once the patch comes out.)

The first one was strictly solo play (I think) and didn't involve paying any monthly fees (I'm sure.) This game shouldn't be confused with any of the comic MMORPG's.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-07-2005 at 02:47 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I really enjoyed the first one and will get this at some point, but I am so busy with FM and MVP right now (plus KOTOR 2 hopefully once the patch comes out.)

The first one was strictly solo play (I think) and didn't involve paying any monthly fees (I'm sure.) This game shouldn't be confused with any of the comic MMORPG's.

It has a muilti-player element via Gamespy (I think the orginal did, too). Not that important, as the single player was what was fun.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #10
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Loved the first one. I was going to pick this up at a later time but BestBuy has it in their ad for $29.99. Might as well jump in on the deal.

For freedom!

Last edited by TazFTW : 03-07-2005 at 04:21 PM.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #11
Blackadar
Retired

Waiting on reviews.

Loved the first one but after playing it through twice I've never picked it up again. If it's more of the same old, same old...I won't be getting it.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:28 PM   #12
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
They released a patch that made the original work with SP2 just within the last couple weeks.

Loved the first game, but I'm going to have to wait a while on this one. Busy time at school and Silent Hunter 3 coming out next week.

No, there's no monthly fee either, although the multiplayer was pretty bleh in the original.

YAY!!!

Linky?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

that patch is out, btw
Old 03-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
YAY!!!

Linky?

http://www.fileplanet.com/110878/110...rce-v1.3-Patch

Or if you don't like FP just do a google for Freedom Force SP2 patch and you'll find it a couple different places.

My willpower is fading, gotta hold off on this.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:41 PM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

I loved the first one and will definitely be getting this.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #16
hukarez
College Starter

Anyone pick this up yet? I'm waiting for some impressions. I just hope it's not a short game, but eh.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #17
hukarez
College Starter

Finally picked this up yesterday. Man, I miss games like this. Now if I can only find my original FF copy, then I'd be set...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #18
moriarty
College Starter

What's the gist of this game (either the 1st or second)? I've never even heard of it.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #19
jbmagic
Pro Starter

how is the game so far?

i never played the first one.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #20
moriarty
College Starter

Sounds rather cool actually. Thanks Eaglesfan. I'll have to scour around and see if i can find the original cheap somewhere.

edit: dang post order bug.

Last edited by moriarty : 03-11-2005 at 02:04 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Early review on Gamespot was quite good and gave the game an 8.7. However, they mention it is very similar to the 1st game with more plot and some better developed heroes. I'm probably going to pick it up today. I need to find my copy of the 1st one too (although this one reportedly gives a brief flashback that covers the plot of the 1st one.)

The gist of the 1st one was a storyline set in the 60's-70's that was typical for golden age comics but also well written in my opinion. I don't want to give away any of the interesting plot points. However, it was a tactical team game where you recruit and control Super Heroes (and their sidekicks who have lesser powers.) Very fun game IMHO. Oh yeah, the environments were somewhat interactive. For example, some heroes can pick up objects such as cars and throw them. However, you lose points that are prestige type points if you cause too much collateral damage or hurt civilians.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #22
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really enjoyed the first one. Only played it through twice, but that equaled well over 20 hours of fun for me. Not bad value for my money. As a result, I just picked up this sequel today on my way home from work. I'll post some impressions either later today or tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:43 PM   #23
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i got this game confuse with cities of hereos.

what the object of this game? is the game challenging?
Old 03-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #24
Calis
College Starter

Ok, so I caved in and bought it, I couldn't hold out after how much I loved the original. And I didn't have school after yesterday morning so I've had a day and a half to devote almost entirely to it.

It's awesome.

If you liked the first you'll love this one, if you didn't, it's not different enough to warrant a purchase. There's no HUGE differences between the two games, but the graphics are updated very nicely and the interaction with the environment is nicer now as well. The story I think is tons better, and they hit that Golden Age feel spot on. Some of the voices are painfully bad, but that's the direction they were going, and it's not too big of a bother.

I finished it however, so it's not that long..about the length of the first one. I was actually quite pleased with the ending which I haven't been about a game in quite a while, it does a great job of setting up some excitement for the next game.

Anyway, if you liked the first...get the game.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:02 PM   #25
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Ok, so I caved in and bought it, I couldn't hold out after how much I loved the original. And I didn't have school after yesterday morning so I've had a day and a half to devote almost entirely to it.

It's awesome.

If you liked the first you'll love this one, if you didn't, it's not different enough to warrant a purchase. There's no HUGE differences between the two games, but the graphics are updated very nicely and the interaction with the environment is nicer now as well. The story I think is tons better, and they hit that Golden Age feel spot on. Some of the voices are painfully bad, but that's the direction they were going, and it's not too big of a bother.

I finished it however, so it's not that long..about the length of the first one. I was actually quite pleased with the ending which I haven't been about a game in quite a while, it does a great job of setting up some excitement for the next game.

x2, folks.

x2.

This game only increases my need to also find my copy of the original game as well. Instant classics in my already overflowing library.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's awesome.

I already am loving this game. It feels very similar to the first one, but I like the better graphics (I was wondering if it was just my new graphic card, but if others are seeing that I guess not.) I also like a few minor tweaks they made to the game mechanics as aiming for bad guys seems easier. I think the new heroes are going to be quite fun to play. I really like the first new hero already. I'm forcing myself to stop playing because I want to savor this game over a week or two.

I highly recommend playing the first one if you can find it, before playing this one. The story picks up from the end of the first game quite nicely.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #27
Calis
College Starter

Yeah, they actually upgraded to a new engine, so the graphics are definitely better.

One of the new things I really like as well is the change in energy, to the three bar system they use now. Easier to see what you can do, and less prone to constantly using your big powers.

I'm depressed that's it over.

Anyone try The Strangers mod for the first one? Heard from a couple places that it's excellent. I'm thinking about reinstalling and checking out some mods as I never did.

Anyway, probably the most fun I've had playing a game since the last Freedom Force! Oh, another cool thing, apparently Bioware and Irrational Games are teaming up a bit for this, not sure how this works out to tell ya the truth, but Bioware has been promoting it on their site also, and are supposedly helping to "support" it. Maybe we'll get installment addons or something? Be interesting to see.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:41 PM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I never tried any mods for the original, but I meant to. I think once I beat this one, I'll probably play the first one again with the Strangers mod as I've heard it is excellent too.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #29
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, I got the game on Tuesday... And I won it today. A great game. Very similar to the last one, but a cooler, more involved story and better graphics and some stream-lined gameplay.

I wish it lasted longer, but I played it pretty consistently all week. Good times!

Near the end I realized I had around 55,000 prestige points, so I made up a character worth 52,000 points. He was basically a large, strong, tank like character: think juggernaught. He kicked muchos ass. I played a few "rumble room" scenarios between him and 20 others. He won everytime...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote