Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Arena League player killed by game injury

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2034326

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Former NFL defensive lineman Al Lucas died Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury sustained while trying to make a tackle for the Los Angeles Avengers during an Arena Football League game, the team said.

Lucas was taken to California Hospital and all attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, team physician Dr. Luga Podesta said in a statement.

Members of the team were prohibited from speaking to the media after the game. A call to a California Hospital spokesman was not returned.

"It is with great sadness that we confirm the passing of Al Lucas. At this time, the thoughts and prayers of the entire Avenger organization are with his wife and family," team owner and chief executive officer Casey Wasserman said in a statement.

Lucas, 26, was injured during a first-quarter kickoff return against the New York Dragons.

Television replays showed Lucas bending down to make a tackle. The Dragons' ball carrier and a blocker tumbled over his head and back, with the blocker's leg appearing to hit Lucas in the head. Lucas did not move after falling to the ground.

The 6-foot-1, 300-pound lineman played two seasons (2000-01) for the Carolina Panthers, recording 49½ tackles in 20 games. He attended Troy State from 1996-99 and won the Buck Buchanan Award his senior season as the top defensive player in Division I-AA. In 43 games at Troy State he had 255 tackles and 11½ sacks.

He was selected to the Arena League's All-Rookie team in 2003 while playing for Tampa Bay.

"Al Lucas played arena football with passion and integrity. The entire AFL family extends its deepest sympathies to Al's wife and family as well as his friends, family and teammates," commissioner David Baker said in a statement.

Lucas was married to De-Shonda Lucas and had a daughter, Mariah.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

From the league site:

Passing of Avengers lineman Al Lucas
Courtesy: Arena Football League
Release: 04/11/2005

Al Lucas Bio

Courtesy: Arena Football League
Al Lucas
Los Angeles Avengers OL/DL Al Lucas was severely injured in today's game against the New York Dragons. He was transported to California Hospital and was tragically pronounced dead at 1:28 p.m. PT.

Lucas was married to De-Shonda Lucas and had a daughter, Mariah.

STATEMENT ON AL LUCAS:

Casey Wasserman, Owner and Chief Executive Officer – Los Angeles Avengers:

“It is with great sadness that we confirm the passing of Al Lucas. At this time, the thoughts and prayers of the entire Avenger organization are with his wife and family.”

Commissioner David Baker:

Al Lucas played Arena Football with passion and integrity. The entire AFL family extends its deepest sympathies to Al’s wife and family, as well as his friends and teammates.”

Dr. Lugo Podesta, Team Physician:

“During the game today, Al Lucas suffered a presumed spinal cord injury and was brought to California Hospital where all attempts to revive him were unsuccessful. He was pronounced dead at 1:28 p.m. (PT) today.”

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 04-10-2005 at 08:04 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
cody8200
High School Varsity

Thats pretty sad. From the description- it doesnt even sound like it was cause much of an injury. I guess I would have to see it but I think I'd rather not.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
maximus
Banned

Wow, thats terrible. My prayers are with his family.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's horrible. absolutely horrible. reminds me of when i was watching an NFL game a while back (Cowboys i wanna say?) and whats-his-name was paralyzed during the game. Only this is of course...even worse.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
streetballer22
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
that's horrible. absolutely horrible. reminds me of when i was watching an NFL game a while back (Cowboys i wanna say?) and whats-his-name was paralyzed during the game. Only this is of course...even worse.

Lions?
streetballer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
TLK
Pro Starter

Mike Utley
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah it was prolly the lions. all i remember was the turf and the silver on the uniforms, so i guessed Cowboys. LOL, what can I say it was a bunch of years ago and obviously I'm not a lions fan or anything so it didn't really stick with me all that much.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wow. That is terrible news.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...5/11arena.html

Arena Football player dies after tackle

Associated Press
Published on: 04/10/05

LOS ANGELES -- Former NFL defensive lineman Al Lucas died Sunday from a presumed spinal cord injury sustained while trying to make a tackle for the Los Angeles Avengers during an Arena Football League game, the team said.
EMAIL THIS
PRINT THIS
MOST POPULAR

Lucas -- a former Carolina Panther -- was pronounced dead at California Hospital after attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, team physician Dr. Luga Podesta said in a statement.

Lucas, from Macon, is the son of state Rep. David Lucas (D-Macon), who was elected to the state house in 1975; his wife, Elaine, has served 18 years on the Macon City Council.

"It is with great sadness that we confirm the passing of Al Lucas. At this time, the thoughts and prayers of the entire Avenger organization are with his wife and family," team owner and chief executive officer Casey Wasserman said in a statement.

The 26-year-old Lucas was injured during a first-quarter kickoff return against the New York Dragons.

Television replays showed Lucas bending down to make a tackle. The Dragons' ball carrier and a blocker tumbled over his head and back, with the blocker's leg appearing to hit Lucas in the head. Lucas did not move after falling to the ground.

"There's nothing you can say about what happened," Avengers lineman Sean McNamara was quoted as telling the Los Angeles Daily News. "It never entered our minds as a possibility. You think about his family and his daughter and hope they'll be all right."

"When you've got a player lying on the ground the only thing that goes through your mind is that it could be any of us out there," fullback Lonnie Ford told the Daily News.

The 6-foot-1, 300-pound lineman played two seasons (2000-01) for the Carolina Panthers, making 49 1/2 tackles in 20 games. He attended Troy State from 1996-99 and won the Buck Buchanan Award his senior season as the top defensive player in Division I-AA. In 43 games at Troy State he had 255 tackles and 11 1/2 sacks.

He was selected to the Arena League's All-Rookie team in 2003 while playing for Tampa Bay.

"Al Lucas played arena football with passion and integrity. The entire AFL family extends its deepest sympathies to Al's wife and family as well as his friends, family and teammates," commissioner David Baker said in a statement.

Lucas was married to De'Shonda Lucas and had a daughter, Mariah.

Several NFL players have died shortly after games, though no one has been declared dead on the field.

Detroit Lions receiver Chuck Hughes died from a heart attack on Oct. 24, 1971. Hughes entered late in the fourth quarter and ran a deep route over the middle. As he headed back to the huddle, he collapsed.

Washington Redskins tackle Dave Sparks and Chicago Cardinals tackle Stan Mauldin died of heart attacks after games. Sparks died in 1954 three hours after a game, while Mauldin collapsed in the locker room in 1948.

In 1963, Kansas City running back Stone Johnson died 10 days after he broke his neck blocking on a kickoff return in an exhibition game. In 1960, New York Titans tackle Howard Glenn died within hours after breaking his neck.

Two college football players died from neck-related injuries in the past 15 years. Mississippi defensive back Chucky Mullins died 18 months after he was paralyzed during a tackle in 1989. Washington defensive back Curtis Williams sustained a similar injury in 2000 and died in 2002.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 AM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

My dad was at the game today. That was a weird conversation.

"Warren and I went to the Avengers game today. It was pretty cool."

"Um, didn't..wasn't that the game..."

"Yeah, except one of the players died. That was a bummer."

Surreal.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #12
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I've been to a handful of arena football games over the past two seasons, and it's going to feel weird going to next week's VooDoo-Destroyers game, even though neither of those teams was involved in this terrible accident. I'm not sure if the VooDoo will feel comfortable referring to their arena as "The Graveyard" anymore.