Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will make the playoffs in the AL?
The Yanks and the Sawx 5 19.23%
The Sawx and the Tribe 8 30.77%
The Yanks and the Tribe 12 46.15%
The 2005 Playoffs will be cancelled after many players are found shooting trout into their rectums 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2005, 03:15 AM   #1
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Who will make the playoffs in the AL?

It's early Friday morning and some big baseball series are coming up this weekend. I'm just wondering who YOU think will make the playoffs. Will Cleveland continue their improbable run? Will the Sox even get a chance to repeat? Will the Yanks continue their playoff streak?

Vote and post any thoughts. Here's to (hopefully) a great weekend of baseball!!!

I think BOS&NYY will make the playoffs, but I want BOS&CLE to make it. We'll see though!

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:22 AM   #2
Vince
Pro Starter

I would absolutely love to see the Yankees miss the playoffs. But I don't think it's going to happen.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
TRO
College Prospect

Good as place as any to ask, but how are people saying that the White Sox have "clinched" the AL Central? I can certainly see them say that they've clinched a playoff spot but if the Indians sweep them, they will both end with 96 wins.

Do they only care to break the tie if it means the loser is eliminated from the playoffs?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #4
samifan24
Pro Starter

As an Indians fan this is incredible stuff. It all comes down to this and I can't wait to this series with the Chi Sox.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO
Do they only care to break the tie if it means the loser is eliminated from the playoffs?

That's what it looks like, yes.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

I said the Yanks and the Tribe, but I could EASILY see Cleveland lose 2 of 3 in Chicago to miss the playoffs this weekend, since all the pressure is going to be on Cleveland... and in baseball, a lot of times teams with pressure on them can't score to save their lives.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO
Good as place as any to ask, but how are people saying that the White Sox have "clinched" the AL Central? I can certainly see them say that they've clinched a playoff spot but if the Indians sweep them, they will both end with 96 wins.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/g...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Quote:
Chicago's victory reduced its magic number to one, clinching a tie for the AL Central title. But even if the Indians were to sweep the three-game set at Jacobs Field this weekend, thus clinching a playoff berth, the White Sox (96-63) would win the tiebreaker for the AL Central crown with an 11-8 edge in head-to-head play.

The reason the White Sox and Indians wouldn't play a one-game playoff is because, with the Red Sox and Yankees playing each other this weekend, one team would be guaranteed to finish out of the playoffs if the Indians swept the White Sox. And in instances in which teams are guaranteed to make the playoffs, MLB does not use a one-game playoff, instead relying on head-to-head matchups to break the tie.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

dola

Go Yanks and Tribe!
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Go Yanks and Tribe!

Yup. i never thought I'd be actively rooting for the Yankees over the Red Sox, but since they both can't miss the playoffs, I think the Yankees is a lesser of two evils thing.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

I really hope the Yanks miss the playoffs.