Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

UFO Aftershock / X-Com

http://www.pcgameworld.com/previews/...iew.php/id/86/

I know there are some X-Com fans around here. This new release, I think is scheduled to come out this month, looks pretty darn good and expanded since UFO Aftermath was a little dissapointing.

Anyone else been following this or played the demo ?

I think X-Com is my favorite game of all time and have been hoping to one day see an updated version come out. Is this it??

Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
Yossarian
High School Varsity

It's the sequal to their previous game - UFO Aftermath.

I'm a huge fan of the xcom games (i'm just now half way through another game of the first one).

They did a good job on the last one but for my personal preferences, the real time move (even with pause) really had a bad effect on the strategy of the combat. Also, I preferred greatly the X-COM approach to base building etc.

But that was the last game. Dunno about this one, will be picking it up next week.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

I was planning on downloading the demo and giving it a look this weekend. I tried the demo of UFO-Aftermath and just wasn't all that impressed. After the reviews came out about how the difficulty of the game got ridiculously hard in the middle, I decided to pass on it. Unless the demo grabs me, I'll wait to see some reviews to see if the difficulty issues have been addressed.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Yossarian
High School Varsity

The guys behind the original X-Com (Gollop Bro's - Codo) have a new game out on the GBA called Rebelstar.

It has very very authentic X-Com style battles but it follows a story with pre-planned fights rather than random battles ala the original - also as a result there is no 'strategy' (global) part to the game, just the tactical combat.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

I ended up picking this up recently when I ordered a copy of WoW (that ended up with a bad disk that I'm still trying to get resolved ). So far it seems pretty good. I don't care much for the real-time/pause combat, but so far that's about the only thing that stands out as being annoying to me. I read a lot of people had CTDs and other bugs, but so far no problems for me. If this were a true turn-based game, I'd probably be addicted to it. As it is, it's a nice distraction until I can get the WoW issue resolved.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I played Aftershock a few weeks ago with a couple of buddies of mine. I thought it was pretty good. I didn't mind the real-time/pause too much. I like the training aspect of the game and the specialization of your soldiers. Still, the game is lacking in other regards, especially outside of the combat missions.

It still is not as good a game as X-Com. I remain baffled that no one has accomplished this feat for this type of game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
It still is not as good a game as X-Com. I remain baffled that no one has accomplished this feat for this type of game.

Ditto, they had perfection captrued with the original X-Com game and everyone knew it. It seems nobody can simply take those original concepts and improve upon them.

Everything that has come down the pike since then has been lacking key features of the original or have simply been uninspired.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShovelMonkey
Ditto, they had perfection captrued with the original X-Com game and everyone knew it. It seems nobody can simply take those original concepts and improve upon them.

Everything that has come down the pike since then has been lacking key features of the original or have simply been uninspired.

I'm not sure that they really need to enhance the game much. Just slap some prettier graphics on the exact same game and I'd be happy.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
I'm not sure that they really need to enhance the game much. Just slap some prettier graphics on the exact same game and I'd be happy.

I agree, what I meant to say was that the sequels all took steps backward rather than forward.

I'd be perfectly happy with simply an updated graphics engine. Hell I'd be happy with a patch allowing the original to run on todays computers with out having to run one of those programs to clock your machine down.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShovelMonkey
I agree, what I meant to say was that the sequels all took steps backward rather than forward.

I'd be perfectly happy with simply an updated graphics engine. Hell I'd be happy with a patch allowing the original to run on todays computers with out having to run one of those programs to clock your machine down.

I run XCom on my machine. Lt me see if I can find out the program I used...

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

The program I use is called Xcom1fix

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote