Old 02-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Ryan Leaf to coach QBs in Div. II

Leaf to coach QBs in Div. II

By Jim Trotter
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
February 15, 2006

After experiencing virtually no success as a professional, Ryan Leaf has gone back to the place he says he feels most comfortable.

The collegiate game.

The former NFL bust yesterday was named quarterbacks coach at West Texas A&M University, a Division II school coming off a 10-2 season.

“I feel very honored to be a part of Coach (Don) Carthel's staff and a part of an up-and-coming successful program,” Leaf was quoted as saying on the school's Web site. “About a year after I retired from playing, I decided that I wanted to get back to college, where I had the greatest time of my life, and to get involved with college football.”

Leaf quarterbacked Washington State to its first Rose Bowl appearance in 67 years as a junior, then was selected No. 2 overall by the Chargers in the 1998 NFL draft. He won his first two games but flamed out from there, recording more off-field incidents than victories before being waived after three seasons and a 4-14 record as a starter.

With at least $12 million of Chargers ownership money in his pocket, he bounced from Tampa Bay to Dallas to Seattle before retiring before the 2002 season. His career totals: 25 appearances, 21 starts, four victories, 14 touchdown passes, 36 interceptions, a 48.4 completion percent and a 50.0 passer rating.

According to the university's Web site, Leaf was referred to the job by former Washington State coach Mike Price, now at Texas-El Paso.

“I'm very excited to be back in Texas,” Leaf said. “I thoroughly enjoyed my time there with the Cowboys, and Texas had a strong calling to me when I became interested in coaching.”

Neither Leaf nor Carthel could be reached last night, but the coach was quoted on the university's Web site as saying: “It's a huge addition to our staff. Ryan brings a great deal of football experience and knowledge to our quarterbacks.”

In 2005, the Buffaloes led all Division II schools by averaging 363.8 passing yards. They ranked ninth in total offense (477.3 yards a game) and seventh in scoring (40.3 points a game).

Leaf has been out of football since retiring before the '02 season. He reportedly earned his bachelor's degree from Washington State in May 2005 in arts and humanities, with a minor in psychology. According to the university's Web site: “After his retirement, Leaf spent time vacationing in Europe before spending time on his ranch in Montana.”
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Leaf told Dan Patrick that he called up CMP and tried to get a job with the Miners but Mike told him that he didn't have any open spots in the coaching staff.

Thank you, coach. Thank you SOOOOO much!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

And my future brother-in-law just started attending WTA&M. I wonder if he even knows who Ryan Leaf is?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 02-15-2006 at 04:55 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Didn't Leaf invest that bonus well?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote