Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2006, 10:27 PM   #101
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Once this is posted, Day One has officially begun.

At the emergency council session, inside the Orzhov Basilica, you are considering the information you have just received. One of your sleeper spies deep within the Dimir guild has broken communications to let you know that someone from the Dimir guild has begun infiltrating the Orzhov High Council itself and that mission began around three months ago.

Your spy hinted that some of the Orzhov among you have already been tempted by the Dimir and joined the other side. In fact, your spy believes that there are four Dimir already with you.

As soon as your spy finished that thought, her eyes grew wide and pitch black as her body slumped over, liefless, out of view of your scrying glass. A few seconds later, the glass imploded as if dissolving. Powerful magic must be at work to defeat your spy and your spying mechanism so quickly, despite wards and counterspells in place.

That is when one of you remarks that Prelates Anxiety and SkyDog are missing from this emergency session. Where can they be? You immediately set off looking for your missing council members.

Because of what was just said, none of you trust the others, yoy you uneasily decide to hunt together as a group. You leave behind the Basilica and enter the fancy quarters to head towards the chambers of SkyDog on this floor, before heading to Anxiety's, two floors below.

You hear a rustling sound as you pass by the supposedly empty chambers of the old Magister. As tradition dictates, you leave the bedchambers and office of a deceased Magister unused for a year. The old Magister was murdered seven months ago due to strange circumstances that favored st. cronin.

As such, the chambers should still be empty, and were sealed magically. However, as you approach, your magical skills attune you to the fact that the seals have been rendered. The Quasters, leaders of regiments in battle, burst open the door and the rest of you follow.

You see a corpse of SkyDog on the floor, but it appears transparant, as if not fully there. There is no sign of life and no sign of any wound either.

Looking up at you in recognition is a creature hovering over the body of SkyDog with the eyes you came to recognize as Anxiety's. The facial features resemble Anxiety, but his posture and limbs show him to be something different entirely.

The creature you knew as Anxiety appears to be draining the substance of SkyDog into itself and is nearly finished. The group of you pauses for a few seconds at this sight, and Anxiety bares his teeth. Then you begin casting various enchantments, sorceries and counterspells.

The creature knows that his doom is near and puts all of his effort into one mighty spell but your combined power is more than enough of a match to counter his spell. His power spent, the creature slumps over, dead, having poured the energy he drained from SkyDog into the spell.

After a few minutes of gathering your breath, the Aedile of the Library, tanglewood, heads over to the corpses and peers closely. he then stands up and confirms your fears.

"This was a rare breed of Doppelganger," he says. "It absorbed the life energy of a person and used that energy to assume their shape. However, it could not change shape again until it killed, because it needs that life neergy to survive. It probably killed and replaced Anxiety a while ago. They also need the corpse nearby to use as channeling vessel. Anxiety's corpse should be here somewhere."

A search of the entire Orzhov grounds is ordered and Anxiety's corpse is unearthed underneath the west staircase cellar. It appears to be about three months dead. Just about the same time your spy said that the Dimir infiltration had begun.

No other corpses turned up. It appears that you were lucky. You caught one of the Dimir when they did not hear about the emergency council. The likelihood that you will get that lucky again is not good.

However, it seems like you killed the only Doppelganger, so that is a start.

Because SkyDog's essence was drained, he will not be available to you as a ghost. Furthermore, the same is true of Anxiety, who died three months ago. Even the creature, who had no soul of its own, will therefore not become a spirit. You are on your own, but each of you is used to that.

Day One has begun. It will end at 9:00 pm EST tomorrow, Monday evening. Good luck to you all.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #102
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
The old Magister was murdered seven months ago due to strange circumstances that favored st. cronin.

I resent the implication.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #103
hoopsguy
General Manager

Hmmm, so Cronin assumed the role of Magister in much the same way that Tom Brady took over Bledsoe's job in New England?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:39 PM   #104
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy
Hmmm, so Cronin assumed the role of Magister in much the same way that Tom Brady took over Bledsoe's job in New England?

If you mean people suddenly realized that I was a MUCH better choice for the job than the last guy, then, yeah. Don't know what's so strange about that.

knives out
Old 07-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #105
hoopsguy
General Manager

Strange circumstances that favored you I get it.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:36 AM   #106
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, so we have three bad guys in this game to start. That is good information to have - normally we are guessing as to how many opponents are out there.

The language in the Night 0 post sounds like there is a conversion element:
Quote:
Your spy hinted that some of the Orzhov among you have already been tempted by the Dimir and joined the other side.
which is going to make life pretty tough if they are able to convert more than one person.

Not sure what else to take from the opening, but would like to see some conversation get rolling before throwing out a random vote.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #107
st.cronin
General Manager

By the way, my vote counts twice. I don't think Anxiety posted that anywhere but in my pm. I'm going to see what develops before voting.

knives out
Old 07-31-2006, 09:55 AM   #108
Barkeep49
Coordinator

So you're guessing that Anxiety was counting as one of the four then?
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 AM   #109
path12
Coordinator

Lowly prelate checking in. We've got conversion possibilities? Crap. I need to go back over the rules.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 AM   #110
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
OK, so we have three bad guys in this game to start. That is good information to have - normally we are guessing as to how many opponents are out there.

The language in the Night 0 post sounds like there is a conversion element:

which is going to make life pretty tough if they are able to convert more than one person.

Not sure what else to take from the opening, but would like to see some conversation get rolling before throwing out a random vote.
Frankly I think that means that they already have converted the people not that they could get more.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 AM   #111
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
So you're guessing that Anxiety was counting as one of the four then?
i would have think Anxiety was one of the 4...4 baddies vs 10 goodies is a pretty low ratio to start the game....3 to 11 isnt alot better, but i would think that is what we are up against.....of course i think alot of things...for instance, i dont like the way you're looking at me right now.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #112
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I agree that 3 to 11 is steep odds but better than 4 to 10.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:13 AM   #113
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Question: Anxiety you said that you can't do a role reveal as a dead guy. What if you've already done one? Can you continue to talk about it?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #114
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

So how do we proceed today?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #115
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
So how do we proceed today?
we randomly pick someone we dont really like very much, and then type:
vote chubby

but you can change your mind and decide you want to vote for someone you like even less and type
unvote chubby

and then pick someone else....did that help
Old 07-31-2006, 10:56 AM   #116
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have a feeling that they can convert people (or maybe bribe them or something)? And some people are more resistant than others to being converted. I don't think its past tense at all.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #117
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
I have a feeling that they can convert people (or maybe bribe them or something)? And some people are more resistant than others to being converted. I don't think its past tense at all.

I dont think its a conversion in its entirety that could cause us problems...i have a feeling there is more of a compulsion issue in this game that could rear its ugly head....much like the jedi mind trick where you are going to have to vote the way youre told.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #118
hoopsguy
General Manager

Darn it, lost a post due to a short-term board crash.

Saldana, why do you think there is going to be a "compulsion issue" - is this based on some kind of knowledge of the Magic game?

For those who have played some Magic, what kind of expectations do you guys have for roles in this game? Based on the Day 0 post, the Anxiety character did not sound like your average "werewolf" bad guy.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 AM   #119
hoopsguy
General Manager

Barkeep, I would have to believe that if conversion is an option in the game then Anxiety would have been one of the four bad guys. Ratio just doesn't add up otherwise. That is also why I would expect a limited conversion power, rather than some of the more aggressive models like Schmidty's game or the X-Com game.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:27 AM   #120
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Saldana, why do you think there is going to be a "compulsion issue" - is this based on some kind of knowledge of the Magic game?

For those who have played some Magic, what kind of expectations do you guys have for roles in this game? Based on the Day 0 post, the Anxiety character did not sound like your average "werewolf" bad guy.

I don't have any knowledge of the magic games at all (never played them), but do you not feel there is likely any bribing or such in this game?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM   #121
hoopsguy
General Manager

The only thing I've seen up to this point that makes me think bribing would be in the game is that we don't seem to be that swell a bunch of guys, collectively. But right now I think that is a reach compared to the range of other powers that could be exercised.

In other words, I'm not ready to start overthinking the game quite yet - I'm willing to treat it as a standard roles game until given reasons to think otherwise. But if there was someone who knows Magic pretty well, I would love their input. Kind of like how I wanted to lean on people who watched "Lost" during Ardent's game in order to provide some kind of sanity check for my thought process.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 AM   #122
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

i have never played the expansion set that Anxiety is using for his base in this game, but based upon all the rulesets that i have played under, there is a lot more 'compulsion' or 'controlling' of others than there is of actual conversion.

i will explain futher: when you are playing the game with actual cards, each player in the duel has their own deck...some cards are simple land cards, which generate magical power. other cards are creatures that you can summon when you have enough of the proper kind of magical powers from your lands...there are also spells, some of which are enchantments and remain in play until they are destroyed by a counter spell, others are instants, which have a one time effect. there is also a category of cards called artifacts that are either objects or creatures that have some sort of magical effect.

whenever you use a card, either a land to generate its Mana, or a creature to attack with, you turn the card sideways, called "Tapping"....one of the best strategies ever is using either a creature, instant, or artifact to force the other player to Tap his creatures so they cannot defend, and then walk past the creatures and do damage....

there were hundreds of cards that could Tap the other players lands or creatures, but the cards that actually let you control or steal another players card were extremely rare....this is why i think the chance of compulsion are much higher than conversion...it fits into the concept of the game much much more, and since we have already seen a doppleganger (which is a creature that appears in the game in a number of forms over the years), i am assuming that anxiety is drawing some of the powers we all have off of actual cards....the "steal another players card" cards were very difficult to play against, and i think would unbalance things too much.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:42 AM   #123
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
But if there was someone who knows Magic pretty well, I would love their input. Kind of like how I wanted to lean on people who watched "Lost" during Ardent's game in order to provide some kind of sanity check for my thought process.

*raises hand*
Old 07-31-2006, 11:44 AM   #124
st.cronin
General Manager

Alan, what makes you think bribing is in the game?

knives out
Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 AM   #125
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Alan, what makes you think bribing is in the game?

I want to wait to answer this till I see if others chime in. Right now I'm wondering if I know something that bad guys won't know. Thats why I asked hoops what I did to see if I might have snagged a bad guy.

If its not something that other good guys know then I'll explain what I know later today. My original assumption was it was general role information in my PM that all good guys would know. Thats why I was a bit suprised that others were doubting bribing even existed.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:53 AM   #126
saldana
Pro Starter

AFAIK, there is absolutly nothing in the world of Magic that would allow for bribing...there is no money or anything of that nature involved in the actual gameplay, everything is based on Mana or some form of sacrifice
Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 AM   #127
st.cronin
General Manager

Let's just say that Alan has pinged my radar. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not yet.

knives out
Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 AM   #128
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I will say this for now though... while there are only a few bad guys among our numbers, there are only a very few true-believers left. My guess is the most of you would sell us out for the right bribe. That is why I feel there are conversion attempts possible in this game (although Saldania's thought about them bring bribes that affect votes or other things can be a possible fit too)
Old 07-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #129
st.cronin
General Manager

Well, I know it's not possible for ME to be bribed, and I also know bribing is in the game. For now Alan T is somewhat trusted.

knives out
Old 07-31-2006, 12:12 PM   #130
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T
I want to wait to answer this till I see if others chime in. Right now I'm wondering if I know something that bad guys won't know. Thats why I asked hoops what I did to see if I might have snagged a bad guy.

If its not something that other good guys know then I'll explain what I know later today. My original assumption was it was general role information in my PM that all good guys would know. Thats why I was a bit suprised that others were doubting bribing even existed.

I think this was well done, Alan.

Alan enters my circle of trust for now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #131
path12
Coordinator

Thanks saldana for the explanation, I'm not familiar with Magic at all.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #132
hoopsguy
General Manager

Alan, some of your language in Post #128 corresponds to my info, although I have double-checked and never seen the word "bribe". I don't want to drop too many words from the PM because that wouldn't be 100% cool, but consider yourself moving up my trust list as well.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #133
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
Question: Anxiety you said that you can't do a role reveal as a dead guy. What if you've already done one? Can you continue to talk about it?

Yes

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #134
st.cronin
General Manager

Ok, well ....

Vote Chubby

Let's see where this takes us.

knives out
Old 07-31-2006, 03:06 PM   #135
Fouts
College Starter

Checking in. While I was pretty confused about the rules in this one, but I'm starting to catch on.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:20 PM   #136
path12
Coordinator

Vote Barkeep

Just keeping a promise I made.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:57 PM   #137
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I've got nothing right now. Let me just say this, as a bit of a contrarian: If bribing is an essential part of the game, it seems to me that it makes sense for the bad guys to reveal that just as much as the good guys. Since the knowledge is going to come out sooner or later why not present it first? But I've got nothing.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #138
hoopsguy
General Manager

Not much to catch up on here - quiet Day 1 so far.

Any strategy at all with the early votes, guys? I haven't seen anything in the posts that suggests anything but pure random votes.

Do you guys think there is any particular disadvantage/advantage to respecting the public roles in this game? There certainly was in the spawn game; some roles could not be replaced, other roles had big-time risk if assumed by the spawn, etc. But I don't see that here. Maybe that is partly because my role comes outside the military hierarchy.

Long question short - any reason that it makes more sense to vote for a Prelate than a Magister?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #139
Blade6119
Coordinator

I dont know about alan's claims about bribing and conversions, but im willing to let the idea play out for awhile if he thinks he has a bad guy. As for me, im going to toss out a random vote for someone.

VOTE SALDANA
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #140
Schmidty
Coordinator

Eeny meeny miny.....................Blade.

Vote Blade
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:06 PM   #141
saldana
Pro Starter

as far as the bribing thing goes, please refer to my earlier post about not thinking it fits into the MTG multi-verse. that is not to say however, that i am not positive there are going to be methods of influencing others in this game.

thanks for the vote blade, without dubb in the game to vote for me on day 1, i felt kind of naked all day.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:09 PM   #142
saldana
Pro Starter

hoops, in answer to your question, i have a theory about the roles that i dont want to reveal quite yet, so i do think we should be a bit careful with our votes in regards to peoples known roles.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:15 PM   #143
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

st cronin - are you still mad I silenced you 2 games back?

vote Fouts

to see where it gets us.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 PM   #144
saldana
Pro Starter

no, and if you dont stop pissing me off, i will be voting for you next
Old 07-31-2006, 05:26 PM   #145
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
no, and if you dont stop pissing me off, i will be voting for you next
Who are you talking to? Chubby was talking to cronin, and otherwise i dont know who this is referenced too...
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #146
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
Who are you talking to? Chubby was talking to cronin, and otherwise i dont know who this is referenced too...

who what is referenced to?
Old 07-31-2006, 05:29 PM   #147
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yah, I was a little confused by the post as well...
Old 07-31-2006, 05:29 PM   #148
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
who what is referenced to?
that whole comment...whats it in response to...like what comment someone else made?
Demotivation
Old 07-31-2006, 05:34 PM   #149
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
that whole comment...whats it in response to...like what comment someone else made?
no idea what you are talking about
Old 07-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #150
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
no idea what you are talking about
Who pissed you off and who are you threatening to vote for? You threatened someone, but i cant figure out who
Demotivation