Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #3551
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wish it was dos Anjos/Alvarez on Saturday instead of tonight.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #3552
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I wish it was dos Anjos/Alvarez on Saturday instead of tonight.

Would be a great change

If McGregor Diaz were to suddenly switch to Saturday, I would laugh at the absurdity of the path that fight took to get to UFC 200.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #3553
molson
General Manager

TMZ, who are usually good sources for UFC stuff, says that the UFC is considering Dan Henderson, Anderson Silva, and Gegard Mousasi to replace Jones this weekend. Mousasi is the most boring choice, and also the only one that isn't completely insane.

Last edited by molson : 07-07-2016 at 09:06 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #3554
Flasch186
Coordinator

They should just write it off and let DC go til 202 and make that the super event
Shit happens

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:35 PM   #3555
PilotMan
Head Coach

Looking forward to seeing Lesnar in the cage again, but I think Hunt is going to catch my man coming in and it's going to be lights out. Lesnar is notoriously aggressive and Hunt could totally catch him coming in. I still want to see Lesnar get that takedown and close it out like he did against Mir.

Like Steam?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #3556
PilotMan
Head Coach

God Dos Anjos is a tough motherfucker, but holy shit, I just howled like a girl when that fight finished!

Spoiler

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-07-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #3557
PilotMan
Head Coach

UFC 200

Anderson Silva v. DC

Tate/Nunes moved to main event.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-07-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #3558
PilotMan
Head Coach

quad dola

So I just got all caught up on my back episodes of The Ultimate Fighter for tonight. Very much looking forward to this finale. The title fight might be one of the most entertaining fights of the entire weekend. The last time these two went at it, it was an all out, non-stop war.

On top of that, I may just buy UFC 200, which is something I haven't done in years.

Like Steam?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #3559
molson
General Manager

This has been such a crazy 8 months or so in MMA.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #3560
Suicane75
Coordinator

I haven't been paying a ton of attention to UFC lately, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't much matter, but is Tate/Nunes really worthy of going on last?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #3561
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I haven't been paying a ton of attention to UFC lately, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't much matter, but is Tate/Nunes really worthy of going on last?

Not really, but there's a few reasons it makes sense. It's the only 5-round fight for a undisputed championship on the card, and they like to have those last. And it would be kind of strange if the person standing tall at the end of their biggest show was either a guy who isn't under contract beyond this fight or a 42-year old heavyweight who isn't a top contender anymore. And the women's bantamweight division is becoming a bigger deal, the winner of Nunes/Tate is likely to face Rousey later this year, and there's speculation that Rousey will be in Vegas to plant seeds for that (since her boyfriend his fighting on the main card too.) And Tate and Nunes both usually have exciting fights - Hunt/Lesnar could be quick, or just boring if both guys gas early.

Cormier/Anderson or Aldo/Edgar could have main evented too. I don't think the order matters too much, it's really just up to luck how the night goes and whether it feels like momentum is building throughout. It's probably the sign of a compelling card that 4 of 5 fights could arguably main event it, and almost every fight down through the Fight Pass prelmins could probably main event or co-main event a Fight Night show.

Last edited by molson : 07-08-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #3562
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Tate match almost got pulled. She finally made weight exactly at the 10 AM cut off just now. Johny Hendricks missed (AGAIN) by .25 lbs and got his check cut but 20%.

Bet on Nunez just because of Tate's problems making weight for the fight.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #3563
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Not really, but there's a few reasons it makes sense. It's the only 5-round fight for a undisputed championship on the card, and they like to have those last. And it would be kind of strange if the person standing tall at the end of their biggest show was either a guy who isn't under contract beyond this fight or a 42-year old heavyweight who isn't a top contender anymore. And the women's bantamweight division is becoming a bigger deal, the winner of Nunes/Tate is likely to face Rousey later this year, and there's speculation that Rousey will be in Vegas to plant seeds for that (since her boyfriend his fighting on the main card too.) And Tate and Nunes both usually have exciting fights - Hunt/Lesnar could be quick, or just boring if both guys gas early.

Cormier/Anderson or Aldo/Edgar could have main evented too. I don't think the order matters too much, it's really just up to luck how the night goes and whether it feels like momentum is building throughout. It's probably the sign of a compelling card that 4 of 5 fights could arguably main event it, and almost every fight down through the Fight Pass prelmins could probably main event or co-main event a Fight Night show.

This.

It's happened to me multiple times in WMMA, where I have to put a title fight at the top, when the main draw is second. Anderson couldn't go 5, Brock couldn't go 5, so it only made sense to move that to the top.

There are a lot of good fighters on this card. It's pretty heavy top to bottom with quality fights for hard core fans. That makes it much more compelling as a fight in years, and more compelling to watch in real time rather than on the DVR.

Like Steam?

Old 07-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #3564
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Tate match almost got pulled. She finally made weight exactly at the 10 AM cut off just now. Johny Hendricks missed (AGAIN) by .25 lbs and got his check cut but 20%.

Bet on Nunez just because of Tate's problems making weight for the fight.

And Anderson weighed in at 198.5 with his clothes on, and Cormier looked emaciated at 206. Cormier will probably gain 20+ lbs back by tomorrow night and is going to look massive v. Anderson.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #3565
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The televised prelims have been rather boring so far tonight. Hopefully the main card is better.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #3566
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Well this fight is much better than the rest; maybe I just need to complain more.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:46 PM   #3568
PilotMan
Head Coach

In case there was any doubt, Jones "B" sample came back positive too.

Like Steam?

Old 07-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #3569
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Much respect to Choi, not that often when the winner says the ref stopped it too soon.

I think it was a hard call for the ref. He makes the call to stop it as soon as the punch connected when he was down and at that point his arms went flat and it looked like he was out. He then seemed to pop back awake and started to cover up but the ref had already made the decision to stop it. If the ref waits and allows another bomb to land and if the fighter was still limp the ref would have been criticized for letting it go too long.

I don't think it's that often when someone goes that limp and then pops back to action (seemed like a pause button was hit) that quickly. Generally when they go that limp it's over.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #3570
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In case there was any doubt, Jones "B" sample came back positive too.

Third time's the charm?
Old 07-08-2016, 09:52 PM   #3571
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Looking forward to this main event. May be the best fight of the weekend.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #3572
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Much respect to Choi, not that often when the winner says the ref stopped it too soon.

I think it was a hard call for the ref. He makes the call to stop it as soon as the punch connected when he was down and at that point his arms went flat and it looked like he was out. He then seemed to pop back awake and started to cover up but the ref had already made the decision to stop it. If the ref waits and allows another bomb to land and if the fighter was still limp the ref would have been criticized for letting it go too long.

I don't think it's that often when someone goes that limp and then pops back to action (seemed like a pause button was hit) that quickly. Generally when they go that limp it's over.

That ref had just watched the previous fight where the dude took 5 or 6 shots after he was out so he was ready to not look that shitty.

Like Steam?

Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #3573
PilotMan
Head Coach

Brooks in a full camp destroys Pearson.

Like Steam?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:47 PM   #3575
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Nice knockdown, I guess a knockout would be even better than a submission. Beat her at her own game.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #3578
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Close but I would say round three to Joanna. Claudia is looking exhausted.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #3579
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Round four to Joanna. Comes down to the final round but I don't think Claudia has enough left.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:16 AM   #3580
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Joanna won the last round. Should be 48-47 for the champ. A tale of two fights.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #3582
PilotMan
Head Coach

The 4th could have been 10-8 for Johanna. She landed at will and Claudia really was trying to catch her breath.

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2016, 12:24 AM   #3583
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 4th could have been 10-8 for Johanna. She landed at will and Claudia really was trying to catch her breath.

I tend to lean to 10-8 if there is a knockdown.

If the 4th was 10-8 I could see the 1st as 10-8 as she controlled that round (and knocked her down to start it).
Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #3584
PilotMan
Head Coach

In boxing yes, I agree, but since they adjusted the scoring she dominated punches, cage control, aggression and damage. In mma that's a 10-8 round.

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2016, 02:41 AM   #3585
bhlloy
Coordinator

A few thoughts - firstly the ref was absolutely right in the Choi fight, that guy was out like a light no matter how quickly he popped back up. Nearly a scary moment in the women's TUF final as the ref couldn't see the tap, I don't know if it's up to the other fighter to back off (and she might have been telling the ref that she was tapping to be fair) but that's got the be the UFCs worst nightmare where somebody gets seriously choked out and the ref misses the tap.

Jedreczyk is damn good. To be able to be landing those kind of strikes in the championship rounds is pretty elite.

Finally, does anyone else feel it might be time to start sun setting the ultimate fighter series? The quality has been pretty poor and that men's fight tonight was awful, I'm not sure either of those guys will ever be any more than filler.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #3586
Suicane75
Coordinator

I think I tapped out on TUF about 5 years ago. Shit, I probably couldn't name an active fighter on the bottom 50% of the roster already, let alone give a shit about guys below that level.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #3587
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In boxing yes, I agree, but since they adjusted the scoring she dominated punches, cage control, aggression and damage. In mma that's a 10-8 round.

But they should have done the same for round one. Instead they tend to look only at strikes instead of control.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #3588
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UFC fighter yells at mom to ‘Shut up!’ during fight | For The Win
Old 07-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #3589
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
A

Finally, does anyone else feel it might be time to start sun setting the ultimate fighter series? The quality has been pretty poor and that men's fight tonight was awful, I'm not sure either of those guys will ever be any more than filler.

I've watched the last 4-5 years worth, and I've really enjoyed them. The Mrs even get's into it, especially when the women are involved. To be fair to the guys last night, the guy who won was fighting at 205, is really a 185er who was giving away almost 30 pounds on fight night.

His opponent is really green on the ground, but his standup was some of the slickest and hardest around. Reminded me of Cheick Kongo.

The entire women's 115lb division is former TUF fighters. It's been a good series. I can't see it going away anytime soon. Besides, they still keep pulling names out, like Tony Ferguson. The woman who won TUF last night could absolutely be fighting for the title sooner than later. Maybe another 3-4 fights and she'd be ready.

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #3590
PilotMan
Head Coach

My ass is parked in front of the TV for the next 7 hours. This should be enjoyable.

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #3591
molson
General Manager

Quote:
My ass is parked in front of the TV for the next 7 hours. This should be enjoyable.

+1

Girlfriend out of town, beer and pizza are here.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #3592
thesloppy
Pro Starter

He got his ass whooped, which makes me think he could've better spent his energy on defending himself...but at the same time I can also empathize with how much it must absolutely suck to get your ass kicked while you're mom's yelling at you.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #3593
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah, there simply HAS to be some great fights on tonight. I'm jacked for Sanchez/Lauzon, though I don't know how/if/when I'll actually see it.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #3594
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
He got his ass whooped, which makes me think he could've better spent his energy on defending himself...but at the same time I can also empathize with how much it must absolutely suck to get your ass kicked while you're mom's yelling at you.

I kinda wondered if maybe Mom was trash talking the guy beating his ass or something
Old 07-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #3595
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, there simply HAS to be some great fights on tonight. I'm jacked for Sanchez/Lauzon, though I don't know how/if/when I'll actually see it.

Start the free 7 day Fight Pass Sub right now, and watch it! Cancel Fights pass within 7 days! Problem solved!

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #3596
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mousasi actually had an exciting fight!

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:19 PM   #3597
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I kinda wondered if maybe Mom was trash talking the guy beating his ass or something

Yeah. In her defense, I'm also trying to come up with ANYTHING that my mom could yell in that situation which wouldn't bother me, and I'm coming up short. I guess it's still better than dudes who bring their toddlers to fights....we always see the happy ones get called/carried into the ring by the victorious fighter, but I can only imagine that decision's resulted in some tragedy/comedy for several losing fighters & their families over the years.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #3598
molson
General Manager

Mousasi is really good, but his career trajectory will be limited by the fact that he always looks bored.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #3599
PilotMan
Head Coach

Not only looks, he fights board. He's so technical, his lack energy and emotion in the cage completely means he'll never fight for the title unless he runs off like 10 in a row against ranked guys.

Like Steam?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #3600
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm jacked for Sanchez/Lauzon, though I don't know how/if/when I'll actually see it.

DID NOT DISAPPOINT! Unless you're a really, really big fan of one of them.

Like Steam?