Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2008, 04:21 AM   #1
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

China Quake Death Toll nearing 50,000

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080513/...ina_earthquake

Add to this the believed over 100,000 deceased and and the 1 million homeless in the Myanmar cyclone over the weekend... and that's a lot of dead bodies and ruined lives. Wow.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 05-16-2008 at 01:47 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080516/...ina_earthquake

The sad thing is that most of the casualties were school children.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
Groundhog
Coordinator

The pictures of kids getting trapped limbs amputated at the scene are particularily awful.

Last edited by Groundhog : 05-16-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The pictures of kids getting trapped limbs amputated at the scene are particularily awful.

I will have to give it to the Chinese government though, it seems like they are handling this the best that they can... which is different from how the Myanmar Junta is handling the concerns of their own people.

If there is any good cause for the US to investigate and intervene in Myanmar, it would probably be the regime's lack of "motivation" to help or even let other countries help their own people.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
SteveMax58
College Starter

50,000...man thats terrible. But from what I can see, it does seem the government is genuinely concerned for their people and acting accordingly.

My original thought when I heard about the earthquake, and it's magnitude and epicenter, was that this might very well end up being 300,000 people. I hope I'm wrong.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
50,000...man thats terrible. But from what I can see given what the government allows to be seen, it does seem the government is genuinely concerned for their people and acting accordingly.

Fixed.

FWIW......the residents of the affected areas have been very critical of the government's response. The citizens were responding better than the government.

Also, most of the deaths are due to the government failure to make sure the buildings in the area were up to code. These buildings couldn't have withstood a 6.0 earthquake. They were death traps if a major earthquake ever hit.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-16-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Fixed.

FWIW......the residents of the affected areas have been very critical of the government's response. The citizens were responding better than the government.

Also, most of the deaths are due to the government failure to make sure the buildings in the area were up to code. These buildings couldn't have withstood a 6.0 earthquake. They were death traps if a major earthquake ever hit.

Based from what I've seen through the media the Chinese government's response is x1000 better than what the US Government did during the immediate aftermath of Katrina.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 05-16-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Fixed.

Well, I would suspect with the amount of devastation & chaos, NO amount of response by the government is going to be enough to completely erase the destruction and save enough lives for every person to agree the government did a "good" job. You're talking about a pretty major earthquake...there just isnt enough anybody can do to make that an "easy" fix.

As far as the buildings being capable of withstanding 6.0 or greater...I dont know that I would hold China to the same expectation level as some(not all) US cities are built for. This is not to say they get a break because I expect less from them, morally & ethically(which happens to be true, but irellevant to my point), but because of economics and logistics involved with supporting a country that large(both in population and size).

This is a country of 1.3 BILLION people(depending on your source), and despite their economic improvements, it just isnt reasonable to expect a country with 4x the US's population(~300mil) to more effectively protect against one specific problem with 1/5th of the wealth (in GDP, anyway). You can argue whether GDP is an accurate measuring stick of wealth I suppose, but it isnt completely off base for comparison purposes.

But I would agree that my opinion is, and can only be, primarily based on what the Chinese government allows us to see. So, there is certainly a great deal of propaganda to sift through. Between that, and what the US media reports, you dont have many more options really.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
Groundhog
Coordinator

This ought to make the relatives and friends of the 80,000+ dead Chinese people happy:

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...007132,00.html

Quote:
Sharon Stone calls China earthquake karma

ACTOR Sharon Stone is in strife after claiming the Chinese earthquake which claimed the lives of 80,000 people was "karma".
Stone made the not so smart statement while on the red carpet in Cannes.

She was asked if she had heard about the disaster that hit China recently, and her answer was:

"Of course I have. Well you know at first I thought I'm not happy with the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans….and I've been concerned with should we have the Olympics because they're not being nice to the Dalai Lama who's a good friend of mine.

" And then all this earthquake and stuff happened and I thought, 'Is that Karma, when you're not nice and the bad things happen to you?'"

In a gaffe of similar proportion, sex tape star Kim Kardashian was videoed making a joke about the Burmese cyclone which claimed the lives of 134,000 dead and left 2.4 million in need of aid.

"Karma" would be the policy makers of the Chinese government being affected personally by this, not 80,000 largely innocent citizens you dolt.

It's not like your "friend" the Dalai Lama (who seems to enjoy collecting famous friends) has the cleanest hands in the world, either.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Only in the Hollywood lifestyle do you "name drop" the Dalai Lama on the red carpet in France.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You think Stone has a Free Tibet bumper sticker on her limo?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote