Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
mattlanta
Mascot

Basketball Text-Based Sim Games

This might have been asked many times already, but what is/are the best basketball text-based sim games? I only found one good topic that had some decent info in it, but it was posted two years ago in 2006, so I'm hoping there'll be more improvements in the basketball text-based sim world today. I'd appreciate some suggestions, and I'm looking for one with the real rosters. Cheers.

mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My favorites are Fast Break Basketball and Fast Break College Basketball which can be found here: http://fbb.sportplanet.gamespy.com/index.htm

Both are older games, especially Fast Break Basketball, but there are rosters if you look in the forums. Think Front Office Football, but Basketball - simple interface, yet deep sims.

These two are more "snazzy" and quite good as well, Draft Day Sports Basketball and Draft Day Sports College Basketball, which DDSB has real rosters, both can be found here: http://www.wolverinestudios.com/

I have all 4, but I find myself playing FBB more than any of them due to the fact I can rattle about 2-3 seasons in one sitting with minimal interaction.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 06-22-2008 at 10:32 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
mattlanta
Mascot

I visited the site that you linked me through about FBB, and it says it has been reduced to only $15 now, and it's about to be released. I'm interested in that game. Wolverine Studios Store charges too much for what I'm willing to 'experiment' with with these basketball games. I'd appreciate it if you told me anymore info about FBB and maybe its estimated release date.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
Racer
College Benchwarmer

It really depends if you're looking for to purchase a pro basketball or a college basketball game.

The two college basketball games available are TPCB and DDS: CB. Although TPCB is several years older then DDS: CB, I would recommend buying which ever one suits your playing style. If you prefer to play multiple seasons in one sitting, I would recommend TPCB. I have the game and it is fairly deep and I really enjoy playing it. If you want to buy a game where you get to "know" the players, then I would recommend buying DDS: CB. It has a much slower pace but also has a lot more player interaction.

I've never played FBB or DDS: PB. I do own TPB (same developed as DDS: PB) and the game was pretty good, but not great.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Oh yeah, one thing I know about FBB is that it doesn't have the Bobcats as the game only allows for 29 teams.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Brian, the maker of FBB made a post over at GD saying he stopped working on the new version and had no idea on when he would be able to start back up.

Check out the original for $15 or see what Gary's (DDSPB designer) first verison called Total Pro Basketball is going for these days - FWIW I love TPB and it's probably cheep as well.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
mattlanta
Mascot

I'm looking for pro basketball. I'm not really interested in College Basketball, but if it's as good as you think it is, then suggest it anyways.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #8
Tim Tellean
High School JV

there is a fully functional demo available for both DDSCB and DDSPB. www.wolverinestudios.com
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
I'm looking for pro basketball. I'm not really interested in College Basketball, but if it's as good as you think it is, then suggest it anyways.

FBB would probably the best bang for your buck if you like to quick-sim and not be bogged down by interface issues. (I go through 2 or 3 seasons in less than 2 hours easily)

DDS:PB would be better if you prefer to take things slow and not blow by a season in one sitting (it usually takes me 4 to 5 sessions of playing DDS:PB to get through one season.)
Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

As an alternative, there's also Jump Shot Basketball:

http://www.shotsports.com/

There hasn't been any major development on the software in the past 2 years, but it's probably the most customizable bball sim on the market.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #11
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
As an alternative, there's also Jump Shot Basketball:

http://www.shotsports.com/

There hasn't been any major development on the software in the past 2 years, but it's probably the most customizable bball sim on the market.

Does it have a beer tent?
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post
Does it have a beer tent?

*shrug*

I had the previous version and loved the fact that you could start a league with 8 teams, and eventually expand up to 32 teams, or shrink if you want to remove teams in the league. It's perfect for a multiplayer league.

It's also got a lots of stats and ratings to work with and a good sim engine behind it.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Just as a heads up to the OP as well as all of our supporters here at FOFC - DDS: Pro Basketball has been on sale for a couple of weeks at $29.50 and we've got some company announcements coming in the next day or two and one of those will be further sale prices on the basketball games for a couple of weeks so if you're on the fence grab our free demos and then see what we come up with sale wise.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Just as a heads up to the OP as well as all of our supporters here at FOFC - DDS: Pro Basketball has been on sale for a couple of weeks at $29.50 and we've got some company announcements coming in the next day or two and one of those will be further sale prices on the basketball games for a couple of weeks so if you're on the fence grab our free demos and then see what we come up with sale wise.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll start saving my spare change in anticipation.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #15
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

As promised we've got a sale going now until the end of the month - 20% off all of the games (prices are shown in the webstore as marked down already) so try the demos and hit up the webstore before the month ends. I'll bump this once or twice so that you don't forget

Last edited by Gary Gorski : 06-24-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Gary Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Bump as this sale is coming to an end now with the end of the month
Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oyyyy - does that mean I have to buy dds: pb tonight! yikes!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-30-2008 at 06:58 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

DDS:PB is a great game, the best pro basketball sim on the market by far.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

I bought Fast Break Basketball last night and played it for a few hours, thanks to this thread.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #20
AgustusM
College Prospect

I am a big fan of the Wolverine Games and ver 2 is in development. My biggest complaint being the archaic non customizable screen size of 1024*768

One game I play a lot that I really like is Action PC Basketball (their football game is also good) It is just a replay game, no real career mode - but the in game experience is very good.

Action! PC Baseball
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote