Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2008, 04:20 AM   #1
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Pacquiao vs. Diaz (complete with awesome spoliers!)

Can't wait. Manny's gunning for the distinction of being the first Asian boxer to have held four belts in four different weight divisions. As usual, come Saturday (Sunday morning here), an anxious Filipino nation will collectively watch The Destroyer attempt to defeat Diaz.

Last edited by QuikSand : 06-29-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

9 rounds of dominance by Pacquiao until he dropped Diaz with a sudden left hook that NOONE SAW... we needed the replay to catch the punch that did the deed.

Brilliant win by the Destroyer!

Mabuhay Ang Pilipinas!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

Uh... lets hope nobody has this on tape delay. Worst spoiler in FOFC history.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I remember someone posting a spoiler for the Wlad vs. Corrie Sanders fight some years back in the thread title. That especially sucked since HBO's broadcast of the fight was on tape delay, and that was back when Wlad had tons of hype and was going to save boxing (etc, etc), and it was a fight I was really looking forward to seeing.

This one sucks if someone taped the PPV, though. I've learned to stay away from the interwebs if I ever tape something.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I always try and avoid knowing the outcome of PPV fights so when they play it on HBO next week I can see it fresh.

Thanks.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Real nice.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think a change of the thread title is in order
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Too late for me
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Didn't know anyone was at all interested, nobody replied when I posted this a couple of days ago.

*shrug*

Pacquiao FTW!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Bad-example
College Starter

Worst apology ever.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think a change of the thread title is in order

While I don't really understand the notion of someone trying to avoid a spoiler opening up a thread with the original title... done.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
While I don't really understand the notion of someone trying to avoid a spoiler opening up a thread with the original title... done.

The original title named the winner. Why not open the thread once the outcome is spoiled?
Old 06-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmmm, there was no notation of an edit, but the thread title I saw just listed the two fighters, with no result. *shurg*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

I've learned to stay away from the interwebs if I ever tape something.

Apparently you're the only one.

This is an area that hasn't quite been worked out yet in this society, but I think this should be the rule. If you want to watch something in the future, it's YOUR responsibility to avoid hearing what you don't want to hear.

I don't get this idea that every person has a duty to not discuss events in the past without due warning given first.

Last edited by molson : 06-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:32 AM   #15
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Apparently you're the only one.

This is an area that hasn't quite been worked out yet in this society, but I think this should be the rule. If you want to watch something in the future, it's YOUR responsibility to avoid hearing what you don't want to hear.

I don't get this idea that every person has a duty to not discuss events in the past without due warning given first.

Discuss away. Just don't put spoilers in thread titles. Seems simple enough to me.

RULE 1: Don't act like an asshat.

If the OP had followed the board rules, there would be no problem.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

While is was an error in judgement by NC I don't think he did it intentionaly to be an asshat. Thats not his nature.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Hmmm, there was no notation of an edit, but the thread title I saw just listed the two fighters, with no result. *shurg*

I concur with the Baltimorian
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I concur with the Baltimorian

ok. trust me.

the original thread title was Pacquio WINS!!!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #19
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
ok. trust me.

Yes, but that's not necessarily a spoiler. I mean, the Chicago Tribune put the spoiler "Dewey defeats Truman" right on their front page and it turned out not to be so. Until you actually see it on tape it's just a rumor.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
While is was an error in judgement by NC I don't think he did it intentionaly to be an asshat. Thats not his nature.

Agreed. That's why no one has advocated a boxing.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #21
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Agreed. That's why no one has advocated a boxing.

I thought the entire thread was about boxing?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #22
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
I thought the entire thread was about boxing?

*jab*

*jab*

*right cross*

And Axxon is down! He is rolling around and...yes, laughing! It seems Bad-example hits as hard as Homer Simpson...

Last edited by Bad-example : 06-29-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #23
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
ok. trust me.

No it wasn't. When Neon started the thread on 6/27, how could he know the outcome?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
No it wasn't. When Neon started the thread on 6/27, how could he know the outcome?

he must have changed to to that this morning then, either way it was there
Old 06-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #25
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

He must have edited it again after the outcome. The thread title definitely did reveal the outcome.

But people make mistakes and are not constantly thinking about time-shifters.

Here's a spoiler: If you want to avoid the outcome of a tv show/sporting event, and you go on the internet, it's going to get spoiled. So if you do it anyway, it's your own fault.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
He must have edited it again after the outcome. The thread title definitely did reveal the outcome.

But people make mistakes and are not constantly thinking about time-shifters.

Here's a spoiler: If you want to avoid the outcome of a tv show/sporting event, and you go on the internet, it's going to get spoiled. So if you do it anyway, it's your own fault.

Yes, he changed it after the fight last night.

EDIT - Likely at 0145 this am...

Last edited by spleen1015 : 06-29-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #27
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

I almost always succeed in avoiding knowing the results of PPV fights until they air on HBO a week later. Staying away from sites where spoilers are likely to appear is easy. Unless someone pulls a boner and spoils it in their thread title.

Don't make out like we are somehow to blame because we didn't avoid the internets altogether for a whole week, for fear of someone lacking common sense ruining it for us.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #28
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I almost always succeed in avoiding knowing the results of PPV fights until they air on HBO a week later. Staying away from sites where spoilers are likely to appear is easy. Unless someone pulls a boner and spoils it in their thread title.

Don't make out like we are somehow to blame because we didn't avoid the internets altogether for a whole week, for fear of someone lacking common sense ruining it for us.

No, you're to blame because you won't pony up for the PPV and want the world to shelter you until you can see it for free.

Seriously though, while I think putting the spoiler in the thread title is uncool too but there's no way anyone can blame spoiling a week long disconnect from reality on anyone but themselves. That's absurd. That's putting huge responsibilities on people that they have no reason to undertake. It's your responsibility to do that, not theirs.

Common sense says that if something is in the past, it's known. That's common sense. It's uncommon to wait an extended period before paying attention to something that has occured. It happens but it's a minority view so it's not common sense.

Please no one spoil who won the Super Bowl for me. The one in 1999. I haven't had a chance to watch the VCR tape I made yet.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #29
Bad-example
College Starter

Funny. Common sense says don't put the result in the thread title. It really is as simple as that.

As I said, it is usually quite easy for me to avoid spoilers. The only fault here is in the OP and his lack of consideration for those that hadn't seen the fight yet.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #30
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Funny. Common sense says don't put the result in the thread title. It really is as simple as that.

As I said, it is usually quite easy for me to avoid spoilers. The only fault here is in the OP and his lack of consideration for those that hadn't seen the fight yet.

Funny, I agreed it's bad form to put the spoiler in the thread title but I can't see how common sense enters the picture because it doesn't. Politeness does, but common sense? No way.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #31
Bad-example
College Starter

Hmmmm...common sense vs. common courtesy. I am not seeing a lot of difference in those terms as they pertain to this situation. Feel free to swap it out for the second term if it helps.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #32
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmmmm...common sense vs. common courtesy. I am not seeing a lot of difference in those terms as they pertain to this situation. Feel free to swap it out for the second term if it helps.

There's a big difference. Courtesy is very subjective. Common sense generally isn't.

For example, I really have no intentions of watching the fight. I'd have had no knowledge or interest in it were it not for this thread. When I saw the spoiled topic it was very convenient for me and to me it was a courtesy. It reminded me of my interest in the fight and gave me the result without having to work for it. It didn't occur to me at that time that it was a problem because it didn't affect me at all.

Now, a few minutes of thought and I can see how this wouldn't be too cool for people like Rip Van Winkle who wait years before they can see stuff and don't want to be spoiled. Given that, it's more courteous to not spoil things for them ever, just in case so I agree that the polite thing to do is not put the spoiler in the title. But, again, for me, I didn't consider it any problem because from my perspective, that's not the way I am. I don't often find myself procrastinating on watching live events and the few times I have, I certainly avoided the internet, radio and anyone who might have seen the event because, trust me, this type of courtesy is NOT common which is why it bothers people who want their live events past tense.

Common sense though, is more cut and dry. Don't touch a hot stove, don't spit into the wind, don't jump at a 50 mph moving roller coaster etc. Everyone can agree because, well, they're not subject and they're common sense.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #33
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Now, a few minutes of thought and I can see how this wouldn't be too cool for people like Rip Van Winkle who wait years before they can see stuff and don't want to be spoiled. Given that, it's more courteous to not spoil things for them ever, just in case so I agree that the polite thing to do is not put the spoiler in the title.

The comment about waiting years is just plain silly, as we are talking about an event that occurred just a few hours ago. Hell, he posted right after the damn fight.

Quote:
Common sense though, is more cut and dry. Don't touch a hot stove, don't spit into the wind, don't jump at a 50 mph moving roller coaster etc. Everyone can agree because, well, they're not subject and they're common sense.

Failing to realize that placing the result of a sporting event in the thread title will upset those that haven't seen it yet demonstrated a lack of common sense, IMO. I mean, anyone with any common sense should expect some backlash.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #34
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
There's a big difference. Courtesy is very subjective. Common sense generally isn't.

To answer this specific point:

Neglecting to consider other people by placing spoilers in thread titles, as the rest of us do...common courtesy FAIL.

Not expecting backlash from said spoiler...common sense FAIL.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #35
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

It amazes me that we can have this very same conversation every couple of weeks and people still don't understand that not everyone can see an event live and they might not want to know the results before they get a chance to catch up. And those waiting to catch up are usually not asking for more than a week to do so...especially in an event that is shown to the public (mostly for the first time) one week after the PPV event.

This needs to be on the board wiki or in the forum rules somewhere.

Posters: put the event in the thread title but not the results so those who want to talk about the results know where to do it.

Readers: don't open a thread titled with an event that has already happened if you don't want to be spoiled.

It isn't that difficult, and it isn't that much work for anyone.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
To answer this specific point:

Neglecting to consider other people by placing spoilers in thread titles, as the rest of us do...common courtesy FAIL.

Not expecting backlash from said spoiler...common sense FAIL.

Who said not to expect backlash? People are selfish so of course they're going to complain if they feel slightly inconvenienced. It's how the species is.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #37
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Who said not to expect backlash? People are selfish so of course they're going to complain if they feel slightly inconvenienced. It's how the species is.

LOL
Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #38
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
LOL

Oh, and I've never spoiled a thread in the title or otherwise unless it was already spoiled. I'm just playing devil's advocate because I have also never complained about accidentally being spoiled either. I honestly don't think for the most part, people do it to be jerks. They just are over enthusiastic. I'm almost certainly sure Neon_Chaos was.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:34 PM   #39
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I honestly don't think for the most part, people do it to be jerks. They just are over enthusiastic. I'm almost certainly sure Neon_Chaos was.

Any this is why a quick apology and a changed thread title is generally all that is necessary. It is the people that defend their rights to spoil people and insist that others avoid any place that *might* spoil them that get people up in arms.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #40
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Any this is why a quick apology and a changed thread title is generally all that is necessary. It is the people that defend their rights to spoil people and insist that others avoid any place that *might* spoil them that get people up in arms.

That happened, and you guys are still carrying on.

You take the risk - it's tough to be sympathetic. Isn't this all over the sports websites? How long should the the rest of the world wait for you? Pay the $50 to get it on PPV. If spoilers were impossible, why would anyone pay that? You take the risk when you wait it out.

Someone said they can usually avoid spoilers when they wait a week to watch an event - well, this is one of those times where you couldn't. Get over it. Watch it live, or take a risk. Nobody owes you anything.

Last edited by molson : 06-29-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #41
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

That's what bugs me. The "right" to spoil is only the right to post. Period. The "right" not to be spoiled either requires the other person to modify their right to post or for you to modify your reading habits.

That's where sticks in my craw. Courtesy is not posting a spoiler and expecting courtesy is NOT a right. No one has a right not to be spoiled and unless the forum has a specific rule disallowing it, everyone has the right to post.

This isn't about rights and trying to make it so is incorrect. It's simply about courtesy. Present it this way and I'm on board 110%. Present it like you have a right to limit what I can post and honestly, that's rude and pushes me toward spoiling because I have that right currently.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #42
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That's what bugs me. The "right" to spoil is only the right to post. Period. The "right" not to be spoiled either requires the other person to modify their right to post or for you to modify your reading habits.

That's where sticks in my craw. Courtesy is not posting a spoiler and expecting courtesy is NOT a right. No one has a right not to be spoiled and unless the forum has a specific rule disallowing it, everyone has the right to post.

This isn't about rights and trying to make it so is incorrect. It's simply about courtesy. Present it this way and I'm on board 110%. Present it like you have a right to limit what I can post and honestly, that's rude and pushes me toward spoiling because I have that right currently.

The people requesting that they not be spoiled are generally asking for the courtesy. It is usually the people that do the spoiling and refuse to apologize for it that bring up their rights to do it. All I look for is the courtesy of not putting spoilers in the thread title. For the most part, this forum does a good job of extending that courtesy.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #43
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
The people requesting that they not be spoiled are generally asking for the courtesy. It is usually the people that do the spoiling and refuse to apologize for it that bring up their rights to do it. All I look for is the courtesy of not putting spoilers in the thread title. For the most part, this forum does a good job of extending that courtesy.

Agreed, better than most.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #44
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That happened, and you guys are still carrying on.

You take the risk - it's tough to be sympathetic. Isn't this all over the sports websites? How long should the the rest of the world wait for you? Pay the $50 to get it on PPV. If spoilers were impossible, why would anyone pay that? You take the risk when you wait it out.

Someone said they can usually avoid spoilers when they wait a week to watch an event - well, this is one of those times where you couldn't. Get over it. Watch it live, or take a risk. Nobody owes you anything.

We are mostly carrying on because you are being a jackass about it.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #45
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

Posting a spoiler in a thread title is wrong. It is against the board rules if done maliciously, which is clearly not the case here. At the least it is a lapse of good judgement and very inconsiderate. We can agree on that much, yes? I mean, we have the spoiler tag for a reason.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #46
molson
General Manager

Quote:
We are mostly carrying on because you are being a jackass about it.

disagree = jackass?

Bad-example said that NC violated the rule of not being an asshat. I got a little fired up after that.

The dude made a mistake - get over it and buy the ppv next time. Or be cheap, and understand there's a chance you hear the outcome on tv or the internet. (Or come back here and whine about it more)

Last edited by molson : 06-29-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #47
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Posting a spoiler in a thread title is wrong. It is against the board rules if done maliciously, which is clearly not the case here. At the least it is a lapse of good judgement and very inconsiderate. We can agree on that much, yes? I mean, we have the spoiler tag for a reason.

Actually, to be correct it looks like he was posting a spolier and I don't think we have a rule against that.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #48
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Bad judgement on my part. Apologies to those who saw the previous thread title.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 AM   #49
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

dola,

Considering noone's even talking about the fight, I'm not sure how much of a big spoiler it is though.

PACQUIAO KICKED DIAZ'S ASS BABY! WHOOO!

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 06-30-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #50
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
dola,

Considering noone's even talking about the fight, I'm not sure how much of a big spoiler it is though.

PACUIAO KICKED DIAZ'S ASS BABY! WHOOO!

That's the thing. It wasn't. There are just folks who like to bitch.