Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

How anal are you with your iPod?

I find myself replacing greatest hits album covers with the cover of the album that a song originally appeared on. I also feel required to get the correct order for the song from that original album. I guess part of it is just the nostalgia from seeing an album cover from back when the song came out. Does anyone else feel the need to do crap like this?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Klinglerware
College Starter

iPods are the devil's MP3 Player
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I've never let my iPod anywhere near my ass.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

The thing is, I realize what a collosal waste of time it is, but I still find myself doing it.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Barring that one time that you "fell" on it in the shower.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Barring that one time that you "fell" on it in the shower.

How did you get a hold of the Emergency Room report?!!?!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
MJ4H
Coordinator

No, all I care about is having the music on there to play when I want. I like to be able to find it, so having it properly labelled is important, too. Album covers do absolutely nothing for me. Album order is an interesting bit of trivia for me, nothing more, unless it is something like the movements of a symphony or something like that, then it becomes important to me.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
No, all I care about is having the music on there to play when I want. I like to be able to find it, so having it properly labelled is important, too. Album covers do absolutely nothing for me. Album order is an interesting bit of trivia for me, nothing more, unless it is something like the movements of a symphony or something like that, then it becomes important to me.
THIS GUY TEACHES BAND
I TRUST HIM
Old 12-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I find myself replacing greatest hits album covers with the cover of the album that a song originally appeared on. I also feel required to get the correct order for the song from that original album. I guess part of it is just the nostalgia from seeing an album cover from back when the song came out. Does anyone else feel the need to do crap like this?

Greatest Hits albums are for housewives and little girls.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Greatest Hits albums are for housewives and little girls.

And Sean Avery
Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Other than using the cover flow way to get to songs, it doesn't bother me to have the right album covers.

I mean, Kid Rock's Rock N Roll Jesus didn't come out on iTunes so I can't put a cover on there. If it's not a complete collection...
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sure you can. Just look it up on Amazon or Wikipedia, copy the picture, and paste it in under the info tab.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
OC.

Not anal.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

You must not be married.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
The thing is, I realize what a collosal waste of time it is, but I still find myself doing it.

Same here.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Same here.

I got one a couple of weeks ago and have been meticulously updating my library with correct names and artwork, making sure all the images are 300 X 300. Having half of the albums with art would bother me worse than not having that feature at all.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #17
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

+1

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'm way past you.

Original album art.

Organized by year + month originally charted/released/genre.

If recording dates and musicians are knows, the info goes in the comments.

Eventually I want to put highest charted position too.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

jesus christ
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #20
atatange1
High School JV

I get wierded out more by the fact that it counts how many times it listens to a song, so I removed it from the 'view' section and will often reset it after a listen, and would totally do away with it if I knew how.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Sure you can. Just look it up on Amazon or Wikipedia, copy the picture, and paste it in under the info tab.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I haven't messed much with iTunes, so I'll check it out.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #22
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I wish there was a way to have the release year of the album on the iPod. Often I'll listen to the library of a band and would like to do it in the released sequence, but in some cases I don't remember the order. It's easy in iTunes but not on the actual player.

I'm definitely obsessed with album covers. I'll often spend hours researching obscure bands to try and find their album covers to attach to iTunes. I've broken out my scanner from the closet to catch some of them from my old indy CD's that no one else has. I definitely do not feel like my import is complete until the cover is on there as well.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #23
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I do something similar. If I have a song in my library twice, the original album and then the greatest hits version, I have to put the original version on the iPod.

I am very particular about my tags. Before anything goes into my library, I run MP3gain on it (so all songs are the same volume) and then check the tags. I've done this for all 30,000+ songs in my library.

Albums have to accurate album names, track listings and years (I'm a stickler for differentiating between "&" and "and" depending on what the artist used). I check allmusic or, more often of late, wikipedia, to make sure what I have matches up.

Single songs, though, I have to strip out album and track numbers (for a while I deleted year info, but I've started adding it) . If I later add that song as part of the entire album, I go back and delete the single version. I don't use genres and strip out all genre tags except for "country" and "christmas". All songs are renamed to "artist - track name" format and the capitalization needs to be consistent.

Once I import into iTunes, I make sure all the album images are attached and then I go through and rate the songs - if I like the song, it gets 3, 4 or 5 stars and goes on the iPod. If I don't, it gets no stars.

It's a lot of work - and a lot of the work is a waste of time, as some of the habits predate iTunes - but it's my system and I can't change now.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Thanks. I didn't know that. I haven't messed much with iTunes, so I'll check it out.

Just a note -- you can select all the songs in an album, then add the art, instead of adding it to each song individually.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Anyway, I like to have it organized, with album covers, plus I put the year before the album title, so I can see it on the ipod, and so the albums are chronological when listed. I don't do that for greatest hits, since I don't care what year those came out, and I delete any duplicates from them. I also have a system for rating songs that's pretty anal, and instead of just shuffling songs, I use party shuffle, and choose the option to play songs rated higher more often.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #26
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I have some similar iPod OCD. My most frustrating remains duets. I've wondered for years why Apple can't or won't add a secondary artist field so that I can have a song appear under both artists collections rather than creating a third artists field. I used to get around this by creating two copies of the file for each artist and including (duet with Xxxxx) in the song title. But since I already have too many video and audio files for my iPod to synch, I decided to abandon the pratice for space issues.

I realize the answer is that the iPod filing structure is based on an archaic albeit clean folder system for each artist but having more database options would be a huge plus.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote