Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

What movies have you walked out on?

For me, Pulp Fiction comes to mind first. My friend and I were somehow expecting an Airplane!-like movie. Obviously, that's not what we got. Not sure how we got the wrong idea - maybe it was the Samuel Jackson Cheeseburger Royale bit in previews. I dunno. We kept giving it 5 more minutes, but we gave up after probably a half hour. I think the overdose scene was when we left.

When I was a kid, my whole family wanted to leave Out Of Africa, but each of us kept quiet, not wanting to ruin the movie we thought the others were enjoying. The movie just wouldn't end. Awful.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Drake
assmaster

No Retreat, No Surrender
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

Holy Man is the only one for me.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i could never imagine walking out on a movie.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

None and I probably never will. I feel I can make that statement because I didn't walk out on Battlefield Earth so, if I survived that, I can survive anything.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Pulp Fiction? That was awesome. So was No Retreat, No Surrender. Everyone has to watch that comedy.

I don't think I've walked out of any movie, since if it's bad then it's something to laugh about with the people I went with. Although Alexander was probably the closest I came to walking out. Just boring and bizarre.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
i could never imagine walking out on a movie.

Neither could I really, not until Sixth Sense*.

*movies showing the wrong reels not withstanding
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #8
Warhammer
Pro Starter

We kept wanting to leave Showgirls early, but were afraid to mention it because of all the boobies and stuff, each of us thought the other was enjoying it.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont think I've ever walked out on a movie. Nothing is that bad otherwise I wouldnt have seen it in the first place. Though, if I had saw Howard's End in the movie theatre, I might have walked out
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I don't remember ever walking out of a movie, but I definitely slept through 90% of the movie Michael when I went to see it with the girl i was dating at the time. I think her response was that I seemed to be enjoying my nap far more than the movie so she didn't want to wake me.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
JediKooter
Coordinator

The only movie I ever ran out on was A River Runs Through It. It took 10 minutes and I was done.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
molson
General Manager

I puked during that navy movie with De Niro and the guy from Jerry McGuire who's career fell apart, and had to leave. But that had nothing to do with the movie.

Other than that, certainly never. I can't imagine doing it.

And I can't believe someone would walk out on Pulp Fiction.

Last edited by molson : 07-12-2010 at 11:19 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Sleepwalkers (1992)

Mission to Mars (2000)

Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 (2000)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I've never walked out of a movie in the theater, though I've wanted to on a few occasions (The Last Airbender being the most recent candidate), but there have been a few that I've been watching at home that I have turned off, never to return. Most notable of these would be The Thin Red Line and Showgirls.

Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

My wife and I walked out on the first Austin Powers - didn't laugh once.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't recall ever walking out on a movie, I think I would have walked out on Watchmen had I seen it in a theater.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I've never walked out of a movie in the theater, though I've wanted to on a few occasions (The Last Airbender being the most recent candidate), but there have been a few that I've been watching at home that I have turned off, never to return. Most notable of these would be The Thin Red Line and Showgirls.

As for watching at home, I usually get through an entire movie even if it sucks, but there have been a couple of exceptions.

I fell asleep during the Ang Lee Hulk and fell asleep near the middle of The Tale of Despereaux. The whole time during the Tale of Despereaux, I kept thinking... really, I just watched Ratatouille what the hell is this? And just lost interest. I was also sick so that might explain some of it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #18
molson
General Manager

The only time I can remember bailing out of a movie at home is the first Lord of the Rings movie. I just wasn't in the mood, I think. I was bored.

But otherwise, I'm only going to commit the time to a movie if it's something I know I want to see. Maybe I end up disapointed by it, but I have still satisified the desire to see that particular movie.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

The Thin Red Line...ugh...I still think that movie even made my popcorn taste shittier than usual.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #20
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
The Thin Red Line...ugh...I still think that movie even made my popcorn taste shittier than usual.
i was just gonna say this... I never watch movies in the theater but there are ones i cant finish, but a thin red line was terrible.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've never walked out of a movie.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #22
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I don't think I've walked out of any films in a theater...

How can you turn off The Thin Red Line? It's like Saving Private Ryan but without a soul...which is the entire point of war right? It has no soul? Plus there's that cast...Penn, Nolte, Brody, Harrelson, Cusak, Caviezel, Travolta, Clooney, etc...

Anyways, I've turned the following movies off at home.

Old Dogs - How can a movie with Robin Williams be so incredibly unfunny?
Troy - It seemed like they blew their entire wad on casting...worst acting of Pitt's career
Vicky Cristina Barcelona - Manipulative steaming pile of dung
White Chicks - I wonder how a movie of two white guys painting their skin dark and making fun of black people would go over?
Mad Max - I just don't get it...

There were others I'm sure...and especially recently. I feel like I've been in a funk with renting god awful films. Is it just me or are movies getting worse?

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-12-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
For me, Pulp Fiction comes to mind first. My friend and I were somehow expecting an Airplane!-like movie. Obviously, that's not what we got. Not sure how we got the wrong idea - maybe it was the Samuel Jackson Cheeseburger Royale bit in previews. I dunno. We kept giving it 5 more minutes, but we gave up after probably a half hour. I think the overdose scene was when we left.

I could see where upset expectations would have that affect. I remember when I first saw "The Fifth Element". I thought it was supposed to be a new "Bladrunner". A girtty, futuristic serious film. It's futuristic, but not at all that serious really. I hated it. I've seen it many times since and have grown to really like it. Once I readjusted my expectations, I ended up just enjoying the film for what it is. And for Mila.

"Multi-Pass!"
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Chick-on good.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-12-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I can't think of a movie I've walked out on in the theater, though we did just stop watching our recording of Napoleon Dynamite about half an hour in.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #27
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Correction to one of the movies I mentioned earlier. It was Striptease that I turned off, not Showgirls.

A couple of others that I have turned off:

Batman and Robin
The Horse Whisperer
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I can't think of a movie I've walked out on in the theater, though we did just stop watching our recording of Napoleon Dynamite about half an hour in.

I did that also, I went back and watched it a few months later and liked it better.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #29
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Oh, I also turned off The King and I.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #30
dolfin
High School JV

I didn't think I would ever walk out of a movie because I generally like a lot of stupid movies.

That being said, I very quickly walked out of Gone Fishin' (not sure why I went in the first place).
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #31
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Never have but definitely should have/wanted to (was there with a group/no car). Happy Feet and The Golden Compass are recent ones that come to mind.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
King Kong. That damn monkey spinning on his ass on the ice was enough. Hate Peter Jackson films in general, yes that includes the abortion he calls LOTR, but that one was completely unbearable.

I love Jackson's LOTR. I've seen all three multiple times and could watch them over and over again...

That being said, I, too, find his "King Kong" to be absolutely unbearable. I never saw it in the theater, but have come across it several times on cable and couldn't stand it.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #33
miked
College Starter

I walked out on Leprechaun, tried to walk out on Planet of the Apes but my date wouldn't leave, was about 99% on walking out of the Happening but my sister offered to buy me some candy to stay. I usually got discounted tickets from the student center, so when I walked out I didn't feel like I was wasting that much.

I said it in another thread, but I did take The Crow 2 back to the video store about 30 minutes after I rented it and demanded a new movie for free.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #34
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Dungeonmaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only one I can think of.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #35
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
3 for me.

I used to see a ton of movies in the theatre. Probably 30-50 a year. Both HS best friends were projectionists and I was in a movie preview group that reviewed films the week before they were released. You could only miss 2 free showings in a year, and there was no way in hell I was driving across Atlanta to see "Stop or my mom will shoot"
Usually see about 3-4 movies a year now, next one will be Inception. Remember walking out on three movies.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights

Mo Better Blues

Hulk (the 1st remake, left before the Nolte scene)
Old 07-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #36
JS19
College Prospect

Don't remember ever walking out during a movie, but I slept through just about all of The Cave.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
How can you turn off The Thin Red Line? It's like Saving Private Ryan but without a soul...which is the entire point of war right? It has no soul? Plus there's that cast...Penn, Nolte, Brody, Harrelson, Cusak, Caviezel, Travolta, Clooney, etc...

Maybe I was expecting something more like SPR...non-stop action with body parts flying every where for 3 hours. Maybe I'll give it another go around now that I'm a little older. But, then again, "fool me once, shame on me...fool me twice..."
Old 07-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #38
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I think the whole reason The Thin Red Line didn't make as much money in theaters was SPR being released just a few months earlier. On it's own it's an amazing film, but if you're going in expecting 90 minutes of blood/gore/explosions and 10-20 minutes of character development, you're going to be supremely disappointed.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 07-12-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #39
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Because it's boring as hell? So, so boring. Yes, war is awful. We know this. We don't need 500 shots of natives swiming or sunlight glistening through tree tops or swaying grass or animals or what not to get the point across. That cast was absolutely wasted on a dull movie.

Clooney was in it for all of 2 minutes at the end. I remember that vividly because of the panic I started to feel when I saw him on screen. I was terrified that I still had to sit through at least another 30 minutes of this horrible, bloated self-important mess of a film because there was no way they'd just introduce Clooney and then end it. Thankfully, they did.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #40
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think the whole reason The Thin Red Line didn't make as much money in theaters was SPR being released just a few months earlier. On it's own it's an amazing film, but if you're going in expecting 90 minutes of blood/gore/explosions and 10-20 minutes of character development, you're going to be supremely disappointed.

Instead you get 2 hours of mind-numbingly boring stuff and 10-20 minutes of character development of boring and annoying characters.

I have only seen The Thin Red Line once and that was in the theater. If I recall there might have been one or two compelling characters, but they were hardly at all in the movie and misued. The main characters, Caveziel and Penn were just irritating.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #41
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I used to never even turn DVD movies off. Now that I'm older though I find myself turning alot of movies off. Probably something to do with me getting older and not wanting to waste more of my life watching something I'm not enjoying.

Recent ones I've shut off in the last year or so : The Golden Compass, The Fountain, Date Movie, Epic Movie. I rented the Informant, but after seeing reviews here I didn't even bother to put it in.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #42
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Because it's boring as hell? So, so boring. Yes, war is awful. We know this. We don't need 500 shots of natives swiming or sunlight glistening through tree tops or swaying grass or animals or what not to get the point across. That cast was absolutely wasted on a dull movie.

Clooney was in it for all of 2 minutes at the end. I remember that vividly because of the panic I started to feel when I saw him on screen. I was terrified that I still had to sit through at least another 30 minutes of this horrible, bloated self-important mess of a film because there was no way they'd just introduce Clooney and then end it. Thankfully, they did.

SPR is just another bang-bang flick that desensitizes you to War. TTRL, god forbid, actually presents it as a vivid real-life event.

I always got the feeling that the US Military had some kind of hand in SPR as a recruitment tool. Sort of a "If you want to kill nazi's, join the military!" kind of thing. Whereas watching TTRL leaves you thinking "who the hell in the right mind would want to do this?"
Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #43
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Date Movie, Epic Movie.

The fact that you even rented one of these "Movie" movies means you should be punished and forced to watch every movie you ever rent or see on cable in its entirety. Twice.

Seriously. That's shameful.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #44
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
SPR is just another bang-bang flick that desensitizes you to War. TTRL, god forbid, actually presents it as a vivid real-life event.

I always got the feeling that the US Military had some kind of hand in SPR as a recruitment tool. Sort of a "If you want to kill nazi's, join the military!" kind of thing. Whereas watching TTRL leaves you thinking "who the hell in the right mind would want to do this?"

You must not have seen the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. If that doesn't turn you AWAY from war, nothing will. However, I haven't seen The Thin Red Line to compare the two though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I am not comparing the two. TTRL sucks. Period. I never got the sense that TTRL presented war "as a vivid real-life event." I would offer to see it again to see if maybe I missed something, but I don't think I could do it. I don't hate a lot of movies, bu TTRL was insufferable.

So, maybe you're right. If Malik's goal was to make watching TTRL like being in a war, "who the hell in the right mind would want to do this?", mission accomplished!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #46
Comey
College Starter

Titanic, though I have to admit, it was on the second viewing. My then-gf-turned-ex-wife and I got roped into seeing it again with friends, because they hadn't seen it. I fell asleep and we left about 1/3 of the way through it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #47
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Obviously I shut it off, so I can't speak to The Thin Red Line as a whole, I just know that I was bored out of my f*cking skull watching it. I kept waiting for something, anything to happen...once 45 minutes or so had passed we (my gf at the time) gave up and turned it off.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 07-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #48
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
You must not have seen the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. If that doesn't turn you AWAY from war, nothing will. However, I haven't seen The Thin Red Line to compare the two though.

I own SPR, and I've probably watched it a dozen times by now. There's nothing wrong with it as a movie, just as long as you don't look at it as a drama film. It's definitely an "action flick" to the bone. I see the first 15 minutes as a "look at us, we're America, we can fight through anything in just 15 minutes time!" Maybe if they set it up to show 150 different waves of infantry getting mowed down...then it would make people shy away from war.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #49
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Wait a second...you wanted to join the army after watching SPR? FUCK THAT NOISE!!! I would think watching bits of bodies flying all over the place for nearly the entire duration of the movie would deter that sort of thing in most, if not all, rational human beings...or am I just a pansy and love my nice, non-violent life too much?

I know I can't speak for the 2nd half of TTRL, but from what I remember army life looked awfully boring and much more appealing (if you didn't want to die or watch lots of other people die) in that movie. Again, I maybe wrong because nothing but shots of scenery are coming to mind when I think of that flick.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #50
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This thread makes me want to watch TTRL.

My first though after seeing SPR would not be to run out and enlist.