Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

X-Factor Season 1

I wanted to pull this out of the old AI thread.

So, I finally caught up on X-Factor.

I'm seriously concerned about this show.

So, I like the general "talent" format. I watched Idol for years before giving up on it midway through last season. I watch SYTYCD. I watch The Sing-Off. I watch some of the cooking ones off and on.

I REALLY like the formatics of this show so far.

However, the talent they have shown has been VERY underwhelming.

Through 6 of the 8 hours of auditions, I've seen two, maybe three people that would have made the top 20 in previous American Idol seasons. We watched this while fast-forwarding through the "crap" singers. We noticed, in each hour they showed a full performance from 2, 3 max that were "making it through". The rest was filler or bad people.

Of those "going through", most of them were somewhere between not very good to bad imo. They (and the crowd) went NUTS over some people that simply weren't good.

I'm curious on the thoughts of others? I like Simon. I like LA Reid. Paula is Paula. So far Nicole is better than she was on the Sing-Off, but that's not saying much.

I want this show to be good, but like Idol, it's simply not going to be if the talent is there.

Anyone (KSyrup?) know if there are good performers that they are just not showing on the audition shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm not watching or following this show at all. I'd be curious to see how the second week ratings held up, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Ksyrup

I don't even know when the show airs. Has it aired the second week yet?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Ksyrup

BTW, speaking of ratings, and not to hijack the X-Factor thread, but I see that Sing-Off got series low ratings this week. I think this will be the last season.

We've only watched the first episode, so I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but I think one of the things that will lessen my enjoyment of the show is how niche the style is, and yet they're playing up a recording contract like these people have a shot at stardom. I know Glee is popular right now, and that helps, but ... c'mon. I knew that group from Branson Missouri wasn't going to make it through because places like Branson Missouri are where you go when you make it as an a capella group. Relatively speaking, they've already hit the big time. So that's a problem for me - the journey isn't really leading anywhere.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't even know when the show airs. Has it aired the second week yet?

Aired last night and will air again tonight.

Quote:
BTW, speaking of ratings, and not to hijack the X-Factor thread, but I see that Sing-Off got series low ratings this week. I think this will be the last season.

We've only watched the first episode, so I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but I think one of the things that will lessen my enjoyment of the show is how niche the style is, and yet they're playing up a recording contract like these people have a shot at stardom. I know Glee is popular right now, and that helps, but ... c'mon. I knew that group from Branson Missouri wasn't going to make it through because places like Branson Missouri are where you go when you make it as an a capella group. Relatively speaking, they've already hit the big time. So that's a problem for me - the journey isn't really leading anywhere.

I LOVE Sing-Off.

However, I went to a ton of acapella shows when I was in college, so I'm a target for this show.

I was surprised it lasted more than one season. Then when it went into season three and they decided to make it a main fall show, rather than a filler between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I thought that was a mistake.

As you said - this is very niche. If a Country show can't make it in fall prime time, how is an acapella show going to make it?

It has, imo, the best judges of any of these shows, but it just doesn't have the mainstream appeal.

And on your point - they take the one most "Glee-Like" group and don't even let them past the first round - happened last year too. Big mistake imo.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:

I dislike X-Factor and like the Sing-Off. Unfortunately the Sing-Off is up against Dancing with the Stars, 2.5 men and some other crap that many people watch.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Bumping this because one of my former employees, Mathew Slovacek, is on the show.

He's been trying out for AI and just about every singing-type reality show for years now, but he never made it in front of the judges on AI (though I was able to spot him in crowd shots a couple of times, and one time he got to do the "Welcome to Dallas!" return from commercial break). He's never given up hope, though, and he finally made it to the judges on X-Factor.

They never showed his Seattle audition, but apparently he got four yeses and made it to Boot Camp. I just finished watching yesterday's show, and while they haven't mentioned his name yet, he's been visible in a number of shots. He made the cut to the Top 100, and his group is going to be performing on tonight's show.

Obviously he isn't allowed to tell us how far he made it yet, but keep your eye out for the big, goofy, blonde kid from Denton if you watch tonight...

Mathew Slovacek Bootcamp Interview

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

So, does LA Reid look like a Muppet to anyone else when he gets dancing around?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

So far I like the group stage FAR more than the Idol one.

This one is meant to highlight their strengths, rather than create manufactured drama.

Quote:
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Arles
Grey Dog Software

So, my wife has been watching this show and I started to check it out. I have to be honest, I was pretty disappointed. It's like this show is trying to hard to be the "Anti American Idol". There were 4-5 extremely talented singers that I actually thought were interesting, but none made it because they didn't have a great "story". It seems like being a burrito maker, recently off drugs, under 15, over 55 or some other form of disaster is more interesting to the judges than actually having talent.

The people they chose were off key, completely over-run by sampled/background music and even forgot the words in their final audition. But, they had a disaster story and were put through anyway.

This smells to me like ego plays by the judges (esp LA Reed and Simon), basically saying - "look at this crap we will turn into stars. We should be worshiped for how great we are at finding/building talent." Not sure I have much interest in following this chicken sh*t into chicken salad experiment.

Last edited by Arles : 10-18-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
There were 4-5 extremely talented singers that I actually thought were interesting, but none made it because they didn't have a great "story".

The people they chose were off key, completely over-run by sampled/background music and even forgot the words in their final audition. But, they had a disaster story and were put through anyway.

I thought you said they were trying to not be like AI?

I haven't been interested in watching this show at all. I did accidentally see about 20 seconds of it last night, and the part I saw (Paula talking to 4 contestants) seemed so over-produced (dramatic music in the background, etc.) that it felt more like the Batchelor than a singing competition. It looks like they have had a couple of episodes where they "mentor" them away from a stage/studio setting, and in a big mansion? I don't like that at all. Maybe it is Batchelor.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

WTF! I actually took a look at the XFactor page and he actually went out and got clones of Randy and Kara to be judges with him and Paula. Hahahahaha!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Arles
Grey Dog Software

You are dead on with the Bachelor reference. It just seems like they want these poor, desolate reclamation projects who all have marginal talent and try to turn one into a "star". The problem is that the show ends up being more of a front for them to shuffle these skid row disasters through until one gets blessed by LA Reid and Simon. They had 3 very talented singers (one country singer and 2 pop) who had actual jobs and were somewhat functional in society. So, they got kicked to the curb for two people who were off key and even forgot the words and one who you couldn't even hear because of all the sampling/background (but didn't hit the notes when you did hear him). But, of course, those three involved a ghetto chick from the hood, a guy living in his car in Memphis and another guy who decided to stop using drugs on 4/20/11 (and continues to be unemployed). Talent, Scmalent, I want good stories

It feels like a homeless man's (ironically enough) version of The Voice. I actually enjoyed the Voice because the show had a clear purpose (find the best uncovered singer) and stuck to it. This show has no real purpose so you are forced to guess (ie, find the best singing talent from a broad scope of demographics), but then in the initial judging you see that signing talent isn't really what they are looking for (and the Nicole judge even says that to someone).

Last edited by Arles : 10-19-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
spleen1015
Coordinator

I agree with everything you guys are saying. My wife and I commented last night that maybe we're not singing talent scouts for a reason.

I don't know WTF Simon is thinking keeping Simone and Tiah. Makes you wonder....

At this point, if Stacy Francis doesn't win, the show is broken. She is clearly the best singer on this show and I think she's better than anyone I have ever seen on AI, but I have only watched the last 2-3 seasons of AI.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
Ksyrup

Maybe this is also part Hell's Kitchen, where they've cast the contestants to be 2-3 legit contenders surrounded by a bunch of fuck-ups and sob stories for entertainment purposes. In any event, I'm glad I'm not watching.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Hrmm..

I'm actually enjoying the show.

Who are the clearly better singers that got removed for someone else that was worse in their group? I can think of 1 or 2 that I was like "I don't get that".

Yes, there are groups that suck where a girl got cut, but that's an issue with the format, not the cut decisions.

Quote:
Old 10-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here's the site for reference (I didn't know all their names):

http://www.thexfactorusa.com/contestants

Based on the boot camp episodes in the theater and the judges' house performance - I would replace:

Over 30s:
Tiger Budbill for Dexter Haygood (not even close, IMO. Dexter forgot the words and was barely even understandable when he sang)

James Kenney or Christa Collins for Leroy Bell (both were much better singers/performers. All we know about Bell is he's 60 and gets extremely nervous when he sings. Maybe they think more experience will help that )

Girls:
Caitlin or Jazzlyn for Simone Battle (she was awful, forgot her words twice and wasn't in key)

Boys:
Tim Cifers for Chris Rene (again, not close. Chris is all story, little talent. Tim could release a country record right now).

Brennin Hunt for Phillip Lomax (I like the Buble/Sinatra crooner style, but he was pretty awful in the last 2 performances. Brennin was better in what we saw)

Groups
The Anser for Intensity (Intensity is the group LA Reid and Simon made of the rejects from Boot camp. They didn't work together and constantly stepped on each others songs. The Anser (and the other group cut) worked well together and had nice harmonies. This was another "hey, look at us take these rejects and make a great group out of them!")

Last edited by Arles : 10-20-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
spleen1015
Coordinator

Caitlin and Jazzlyn both should have been through instead of Simone and Tiah.

My wife has been saying for a while that Simone and Tiah would make it because Simon keyed in on them very early on. The whole situation with Melanie was pretty fucked up if you ask me. To take Simone and Tiah over her is a big WTF???? At least they 'fixed' that by allowing her to be 17th when they were supposed to only have 16.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Caitlin and Jazzlyn both should have been through instead of Simone and Tiah.

My wife has been saying for a while that Simone and Tiah would make it because Simon keyed in on them very early on. The whole situation with Melanie was pretty fucked up if you ask me. To take Simone and Tiah over her is a big WTF???? At least they 'fixed' that by allowing her to be 17th when they were supposed to only have 16.

Agreed. And I don't agree Stacy Francis should win it (and she definitely won't). My favorite is Drew, followed by Rachael, the Brewer Boys, and Marcus Canty. Think voting blocks. The over 30's are going to be gone early.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #20
GrantDawg

Oh, and that Caitlin didn't make it was a travesty. But Simon stuck his neck out for Tiah and Simone, so there was no chance they were bot making through to the finals. Simon's ego wouldn't allow them to be cut.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
Ksyrup

Damn, I knew this show sucked and Simon wasn't happy, but not to this degree. They fired the host, that pussycat doll chick, AND Paula Abdul (she's not been confirmed, but it's being reported).
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #22
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Damn, I knew this show sucked and Simon wasn't happy, but not to this degree. They fired the host, that pussycat doll chick, AND Paula Abdul (she's not been confirmed, but it's being reported).

The schtick of fighting between judges didn't see to work very well. Not only that, but it was apparent as the show went along that the fighting starting getting pretty personal.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #23
TRO
College Prospect

Paula was actually bearable on this show. That is probably because next to Nicole, hemorrhoids would be bearable.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
chadritt
High School Varsity

Bumping because season 2, with 2 new judges, is getting close and because its my latest job so Im curious if people are planning to watch again.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm sure my wife and daughter will be watching it. I'll be playing GW2 instead.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

I bailed on Season 1 after they made it clear how they weren't even focusing on talent in the least bit in selecting those that made it to the voting portion of the show.

Quote:
Old 09-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #27
chadritt
High School Varsity

Bumping because it airs tomorrow and I am the editor for the PR/press department for this show. If you see anyone from the show on a talkshow and they bring a clip then Im the one who either found or edited that clip for them.

Ive seen the first episode and honestly think parts of it are really good. It includes one of my favorite auditions from the season and theres one audition that has honestly made most people whove seen it cry, including Simon Cowell when he saw it live.

Theres a really good amount of talent this season, i personally have 5 I really like a lot and another 2 i would be more than fine with seeing win.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #28
chadritt
High School Varsity

Bumping, last time i swear, because we start live shows tonight. I think the 16 whove gotten this far are pretty talented and that theres only one or two who didnt get to the live shows that you couldve made an argument for. Anyway, it should be a good set of performances tonight if anyones actually watching the show.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
Danny
Head Coach

Ive been watching all the episodes, definitely a good amount of talent, but Jillian Jensen should have made it. She had one of the top and most unique voices on the show.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Ive been watching all the episodes, definitely a good amount of talent, but Jillian Jensen should have made it. She had one of the top and most unique voices on the show.

She was my only disappointment. I kept hoping for a surprise like last year, and she got brought back.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
MacroGuru
Coordinator

The Simon / LA Reid bullshit needs to stop...it's making it unwatchable and I think there is some true talent on the show this season.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #32
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
The Simon / LA Reid bullshit needs to stop...it's making it unwatchable and I think there is some true talent on the show this season.

That was uncomfortable.

Although, there were some pretty god damn terrible song choices. And Britney is horrendous. Holy shit.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #33
Danny
Head Coach

Overall I was not impressed. Seems Britney and Demi think having all of their performers do showy performance with dancers, effects and costumes is the way to go. It is ok to keep it simple and just sing the song really sometimes.

And LA did make some really terrible choices for songs also. A nickelback song for Vino, really? He was one of my favorites along with the eliminated Jillian, but that was really bad.

Emblem 3 was the best, nobody else really impressed me, but that was largely due to the judges song / performance choices.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #34
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Shes definitely one of the ones I think you could make an argument for. Ive seen arguments online for a couple of others as well, Jeffrey Gutt and Panda, but she had the best case. On the plus side, shes definitely reaping the rewards of being on the show from what I can see online.