Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Indianapolis Nightlife

I will be in Indianapolis this coming Saturday for a Pacers game, and am planning on getting a hotel downtown. Looking for any recommended restaurants, and bars to go to, as this will be my first time in Indy.

Obviously not looking for super expensive restaurants here, just something by the stadium perhaps

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I haven't been there, but I have heard that Scotty's Brewhouse is a great place to go.

St. Elmo's is a famous restaurant. I love Morton's which is just down the street from the Fieldhouse.

The good thing about Downtown is that it is not very big and everything is within walking distance.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you just want a burger and possibly some live music, I'm a fan of the Slippery Noodle

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The RAM is a pretty good Sports bar and restaurant type place. Champions is pretty good too. If you want a gaming place then there's a Jillian's. Has full bar, bowling, video games. The food is okay but it's not a full menu. More sandwich/appetizer type stuff.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-11-2012 at 01:42 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
spleen1015
Coordinator

Jillian's closed a few months ago, unfortunately.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The RAM brewery is pretty good.. if you want really good fast food, they have a stake and shakje in the downtown area..
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

So what everyone seems to be saying here is that Indianapolis fucking blows.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
The RAM is a pretty good Sports bar and restaurant type place. Champions is pretty good too. If you want a gaming place then there's a Jillian's. Has full bar, bowling, video games. The food is okay but it's not a full menu. More sandwich/appetizer type stuff.
lol do people seriously still go bowling lmao
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

well at least they have three Skyline Chilis The main one I know is by Castleton. IT's similar to the one in Beaver Creek.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The RAM brewery is pretty good.. if you want really good fast food, they have a stake and shakje in the downtown area..

prepare for a case of the squirts
Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
lol do people seriously still go bowling lmao
SEE THE JOKE IS THAT I BOWL A LOT BUT I AM PRETENDING LIKE NOBODY DOES
Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
SEE THE JOKE IS THAT I BOWL A LOT BUT I AM PRETENDING LIKE NOBODY DOES

yeahyeah we got it
Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

Just watch out for Reggie Miller. He stole my stool once. I stepped out to the bathroom, and when I came back, Reggie was on my stool. Bastard.

True story.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Former members of the Knicks are still telling some damn story about how Reggie Miller stole something from them, but I don't really remember how it goes.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
well at least they have three Skyline Chilis The main one I know is by Castleton. IT's similar to the one in Beaver Creek.

That's great to hear, I grew up on a Skyline diet, but I hope I won't be eating food native to Cincinnati while in Indy.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
Pyser
Pro Rookie

I'm still trying to figure out which thread this is parodying
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
That's great to hear, I grew up on a Skyline diet, but I hope I won't be eating food native to Cincinnati while in Indy.

I don't think there is native indianapolis food really. Um...corn dogs? Elephant ears? Lemon Shake-ups?

yeah I know. Indiana sucks.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Oh yeah they have plenty of White Castles!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
JediKooter
Coordinator

Larry Bird?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Larry Bird?

He can't eat Larry Bird.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
He can't eat Larry Bird.

Oh boy. What the heck did I eat then?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Shut up.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
korme
Go Reds

Scotty's brewhouse seems like a good choice for pub/restaurant eating.

What about late-night bars?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Go to Ike and Jonesys....50s bar that turns into a dance club at night.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think there is native indianapolis food really. Um...corn dogs? Elephant ears? Lemon Shake-ups?

yeah I know. Indiana sucks.

I don't know about Indianapolis but in my short time living here, it seems like Indiana is all about the pork tenderloin

SI

Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #26
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I don't know about Indianapolis but in my short time living here, it seems like Indiana is all about the pork tenderloin

SI

And IMS has the best tenderloin in the history of history.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Don't worry- I'm sure the sports media will be telling you that shortly. It's great how every time it's not in one of the typical sports (New Orleans, Miami, LA), it's the worst place on earth. It never fails with the 2 week break as you can only badger the teams so much for two weeks

I've only lived here for under 2 years and I'll probably be moving on shortly (my wife has been working in Houston for a few months already after she lost her job last year), but I've come to really like the city. It's a great size, in my mind- not too big: crazy commutes, pollution, lots of poverty and crime but not too small: NFL and NBA team, Indy 500, reasonable arts facilities, and major industries. And if I need something big time, Chicago is only 3 hours away. People are Midwest friendly, tho a bit more Rust Belt Friendly (a little more reserved but "good people") than Great Plains Friendly ("hi, howya doing!"). The city seems reasonably well governed for a city its size- I mean, there's always stupid local government but it seems better here than most.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed that I'll be leaving soon but I'm happy for my time here and I could have seen myself living here long term. The biggest downside to me is the damn winter, which has been quite mild this year (until tomorrow).

But, unfortunately, it may not satisfactorily provide for all your needs, you seasoned drunk and fornicator.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-11-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #28
molson
General Manager

That reminded me of something

Shots Of Indianapolis Skyline To Depress Nation During Final Four Broadcast | The Onion Sports Network

WASHINGTON—Shots of the Indianapolis skyline scheduled to air during the 2010 Final Four will be extremely depressing and will momentarily infuse viewers with a sense of overwhelming bleakness, the U.S. populace reported this week. "When they come back from commercials I'll have to look at these uninspired, cold-looking buildings. There are those two really tall ones that kind of look dead, like nothing's really going on inside of them," said Andover, MD resident Nathan Kowalski, adding that during the Colts' 2009 Super Bowl run, aerial shots of the metropolis put him in such a deep malaise that he had to stop watching the NFL playoffs. "I bet they'll show night shots of the skyline, too. Which will look just as dead, because who wants to be caught in Indianapolis at night when everything is closed and there's nothing to do? I hope they just show the New York City skyline and cut to the game." At a press conference Thursday, Indianapolis mayor Greg Ballard seemed to be on the verge of defending his city, but ultimately sighed and agreed with the rest of the country.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #29
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

Then you'd better get to a Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans PRONTOOOOOOOOO!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking more like at the State Fair or Drive In type places

SI

Old 01-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #31
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think Indianapolis is a fine city.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Don't worry- I'm sure the sports media will be telling you that shortly. It's great how every time it's not in one of the typical sports (New Orleans, Miami, LA), it's the worst place on earth. It never fails with the 2 week break as you can only badger the teams so much for two weeks

I've only lived here for under 2 years and I'll probably be moving on shortly (my wife has been working in Houston for a few months already after she lost her job last year), but I've come to really like the city. It's a great size, in my mind- not too big: crazy commutes, pollution, lots of poverty and crime but not too small: NFL and NBA team, Indy 500, reasonable arts facilities, and major industries. And if I need something big time, Chicago is only 3 hours away. People are Midwest friendly, tho a bit more Rust Belt Friendly (a little more reserved but "good people") than Great Plains Friendly ("hi, howya doing!"). The city seems reasonably well governed for a city its size- I mean, there's always stupid local government but it seems better here than most.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed that I'll be leaving soon but I'm happy for my time here and I could have seen myself living here long term. The biggest downside to me is the damn winter, which has been quite mild this year (until tomorrow).

But, unfortunately, it may not satisfactorily provide for all your needs, you seasoned drunk and fornicator.

SI
Heh, I am sure Indianapolis is a fine city - I just thought it was funny that off the bat some of the recommendations were for places like Jillian's and Steak and Shake.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #33
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

I think this was 5x as bad for Jacksonville as it has ever been for Indy. Bored reporters was THE story that year.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh, I am sure Indianapolis is a fine city - I just thought it was funny that off the bat some of the recommendations were for places like Jillian's and Steak and Shake.

I think the Steak and Shake mention is because Indy is the corporate HQ

SI

Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #35
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I think this was 5x as bad for Jacksonville as it has ever been for Indy. Bored reporters was THE story that year.

Yeah, Jacksonville is where I remember hearing this the most. It was like "Geez, you get an expense paid trip to Florida when the rest of us are freezing to death. Shut the eff up already."

Just wait- if it's as cold as it is today- that's all you'll hear during media week.

SI

Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Well Subby has an excellent point here. Yes pretty much all you'll find in Indiana are chains, even if they are regional chains. Lotsa Fast Food, lotsa Bar & Grille, lotsa family stuff, lotsa pseudo tex-mex.

And Chuck-E-Cheese!

sure there's the occasional good independent place, but you really have to hunt for those.

I grew up about an hour and a half NW of there and lived in Dayton for about 7 yrs. I still go back to Indy for Gencon almost every year so I've gotten to know the place pretty well.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I think the Steak and Shake mention is because Indy is the corporate HQ

SI
Ok then I guess my original comment stands.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #38
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I still go back to Indy for Gencon almost every year so I've gotten to know the place pretty well.

When I first saw this, I mis-read it as "I go back to Indy for Garcon almost every year"

And I thought, "Wait, what? Someone goes on an annual Pierre Garcon pilgrimage? Why?"

Then I re-read it.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #39
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well Subby has an excellent point here. Yes pretty much all you'll find in Indiana are chains, even if they are regional chains. Lotsa Fast Food, lotsa Bar & Grille, lotsa family stuff, lotsa pseudo tex-mex.

And Chuck-E-Cheese!

sure there's the occasional good independent place, but you really have to hunt for those.

I grew up about an hour and a half NW of there and lived in Dayton for about 7 yrs. I still go back to Indy for Gencon almost every year so I've gotten to know the place pretty well.

I've been to Indy about 7-8 times or so. Perhaps more. I go to GenCon every year as well. I agree. Downtown Indy is pretty much like one giant outdoor mall. Chain city for the most part.

Also, as often is the case with gamers, we are creatures of habit and routine, so we mainly go to same few places each year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok then I guess my original comment stands.

Touche

SI

Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #41
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
When I first saw this, I mis-read it as "I go back to Indy for Garcon almost every year"

And I thought, "Wait, what? Someone goes on an annual Pierre Garcon pilgrimage? Why?"

Then I re-read it.

who?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Personally, I love Indy. I live closer to Louisville, but I prefer to go to Indy if I want a day out. Staying downtown is great. Like someone said, everything is within walking distance and most places are connected by the gerbil tunnels.

The field house is a great venue. Lots of good places to eat from high end (St. Elmo's) to lower end places. Rock Bottom, RAM, Rathskeller (I know I'm misspelling that), Schpiros Deli, The Cladduagh...all great places in or very near downtown. There's a new pub as well that took Jillian's spot but I haven't been there. There's supposedly a really good dive pizza place on one of the side streets next to the field house too.

Bar wise, everything is pretty much on one street. Wild Beaver, Hooters, several others in the area. There's a comedy club there too. There also used to be a place by the comedy club that did movies and you could order dinner to eat while watching the movie. Can't remember the name though or even if it's still there.

It's a good place to go for a weekend. Enjoy the Pacer game. They playing the Celtics? I need to get up to one myself this season.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #43
korme
Go Reds

Gerbil tunnels, awesome name
Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #44
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
It's a good place to go for a weekend. Enjoy the Pacer game. They playing the Celtics? I need to get up to one myself this season.

Yeah, one of my buddies is a big Celtics fan (born in Boston so I let it slide), so I'm going with him just because I want to see a game. He's going to be miserable though, as they play damn near the same time the Patriots do!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #45
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Yeah, one of my buddies is a big Celtics fan (born in Boston so I let it slide), so I'm going with him just because I want to see a game. He's going to be miserable though, as they play damn near the same time the Patriots do!

that's what ihpones are for
Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #46
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

http://www.fogodechao.com/home/ You should go there for lunch. Dinner is quite expensive but lunch is like $20, but I'm sure you'd get your monies worth. I haven't been to the bars down there but a few times in downtown. Broad Ripple is where a lot of the night life is and would be a cab drive away. Another place to eat would be Bazbeaux Pizza. There is one downtown and also one in Broad Ripple. I definitely recommend this place.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #47
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
I'm still trying to figure out which thread this is parodying

After seeing this thread consistently at the top of the page I had to check in. I figured there must be something funny going on in here. No, you guys are seriously still talking about Indianapolis nightlife.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #48
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, you're in luck. After the mention of Fogo de Chao, I remembered that it's Devour Downtown, which is basically the twice a year restaurant (two) week(s). Along with normal fare, pretty much all the restaurants downtown, even the higher end places, have a $30 prix fixe menu.

So, for instance at Fogo de Chao, it's about half the usual meats- still enough to get a hedonistic meat coma- but it's only $30 instead of the usual $50. Some places don't do weekends and it's not going to be the top end stuff typically- St Elmos has the Filet Mignon and not the Porterhouse but you do get 3 courses. It makes it a bit more crowded so you might have to be patient. But with the weather the way it is, I'm not sure how many crowds you'll be fighting.

Devour Downtown Indianapolis

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #49
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Big win for the Pacers again. They may not win a title, but they are going to be a fun team to watch and a tough out in the playoffs.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #50
cody8200
High School Varsity

I live in Indy. Hope you had a good time at the game. I like the city quite a bit. I was born in Indiana but have traveled quite a bit over the years and as someone mentioned, this city kind of hits the sweet spot on cities that are decent sized but not too big to actually go anywhere or do anything. If it wasn't for the cold of Indiana, I could see myself staying here forever.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote