Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Getting F**KED by the state of Connecticut

So when I was younger I lived in Connecticut for about 18 months. In that time I had my car that I had when I moved there and I bought another car why I was there. This was in 99-00.

Fast forward to today. The phone rings at 5:45 AM, my wife answers, and it is someone calling regarding a motor vehicle tax owed from the city I used to live in that was owed. Wife says it is very early and they need to call back another time. I google the number and do some research, turns out it is a collection agency for this back tax owed.

So I go to the city website, do some research there, and discover that between the two cars, interest, and fees I now owe $9876! Never once did I get a letter, phone call, bill, nothing. The FAQ on the city website is very clear, not getting a letter is not grounds for not paying and they don't make exceptions ever about interest owed. The interest is compounded at 18% per year.

HERE IS THE KICKER-They are charging me taxes for 2001-02-03 when I didn't even live there, moved in 2000. I have no problem paying the taxes, even the interest owed, but for time I didn't even live there! WTF!!

I have no idea how to fight this. Checked my credit report, no issues, looked around online at some statute of limitations stuff. I should probably lawyer up, but oh, I live in WASHINGTON STATE!! probably not many lawyers here versed in Connecticut tax law!

Gonna start by calling the tax assessor in the AM and see what is going on.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Fuck you in the ass.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Check carefully the statute of limitations. You might be in the clear. If you send even $1 to them to cover the 2000 period you feel is due, that resets the statute of limitations clock on the entire amount they are claiming to the moment you send the payment. If it is a collections agency calling and not the city themselves, it is likely that the collections agency bought old debts from the city for pennies on the dollar, and are trying to get people to pay on debts that have passed their legal due date.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

Don't send a dime. Make them verify the debt first via mail. They have 30 days to respond to it.

Collection agencies buy up debt for pennies on the dollar even if they know it's no longer good. Some will even create fraudulent stuff. I've been getting a collection letter from Columbia House/BMG collection agency saying I owe $70. I've never used their service in my life and it appears it's a huge scam.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

trust me, they aren't getting a red cent from me. Especially if it is a collection agency.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

Damn, that sucks.

Just Googling this a little, it looks like a lot of people get these little surprises from old CT tax bills. I THINK the collection agencies can only report outstanding debt from the credit bureaus within 7 years of when the debt originated, so - it's possible the best approach here is just to ignore it, though you'll have to look into it. Apparently there was some legislation passed about 5 years ago that allowed CT cities to sell their old debts to collection agencies, and a few - particularly Stamford, went a little nuts with it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

Here is the thing, you don't have to do anything. They can claim you owe taxes all they want, they can send out collection letters, but they can't get a dime from you unless they sue you. They can't hurt you until it's on your credit reports. Anyone can list that you owe them money on a website, it doesn't mean you actually do.

You can send the collection agency a C&D and they won't be able to contact you anymore by law.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-27-2012 at 12:24 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The thing is I have worked hard to build my credit, be debt free except for mortgage and car payment, and do things right. I know likely this can't touch me, but I have a family, savings, etc. and I don't want some debt, real or not, growing at 18% hanging over my head. We can easily afford to pay it, but why would I or should I?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If it isn't a valid debt, then the 18% growth is just a contraption of the collection agency to try and dupe you into paying.

If you try and negotiate with them and say you are willing to pay for the 2000 time period, they will make it sound like that is cool, that is all you need to pay, and that will be it. Instead, any payment will bring those other years into play, and make things that much worse. If the statute of limitations has passed, you are in the clear, and there is nothing they can do, short of you sending them any money, to change that fact.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-27-2012 at 12:38 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

State income tax can garnish 100% of your wages. Figure this one out fast.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That's a big enough number that I'd see an attorney.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

It certainly sounds like at least a phone call to a local lawyer and then perhaps a call to someone in Connecticut.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

This is a common problem in this great state (great state meaning shithole) of mine. The state is too lazy or inept (ok, both) to really care about getting it right so it is up to you to give them some evidence.

What I would suggest is to try and track down who your insurance company was during this time period and call them. Ask for a letter that indicates exactly what time period you had this car insured and why the insurance was cancelled (sold, totalled, moved out of state, etc.)

I work in insurance and I know you can cancel insurance and still have the car, but this letter I have done for some of my customers in this state has worked perfectly. It makes no sense, right? But the state and town halls seem to like it.

Obviously this may not work at all for you, but at least it gives you a start.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
State income tax can garnish 100% of your wages. Figure this one out fast.

This. And they will. CT is under a huge budget crunch and after February 1 they are going to be garnishing a lot of wages around here. I had an old state income tax bill from an adjustment for about $300 that I somehow missed. I got a real no-nonsense letter telling me, pay or garnish on Feb 1. I think this is by order of our new govenor who is a real piece of work.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
State income tax can garnish 100% of your wages.

But can a collection agency?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
spleen1015
Coordinator

I had a medical bill from when I was 14 get sent to collections because my parents didn't pay it. It was found on my credit report when I was 23 and trying to buy a new car.

I don't know what it is like in CT, but my situation really sucked. The collection agency didn't care that the bills were from when I was a kid and my parents should be responsible for them. They just wanted the money. I called the doctor and they said they couldn't help me since it had been turned over to collections.

I ended up paying for it because it was on my credit report.

The story I got from my mom was that the doctor's office burned down while she was paying the bill. She hoped the records were lost and stopped paying it/ignored anything else about it.

The point of my post is, I'm not sure how you can solve this beyond paying it. The collection agency doesn't care that this charges were made in error and the state of CT will likely just tell you that you're SOL because they turned it over to a collection agency.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
Rizon
Pro Starter

Sounds like a scam. Or California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #18
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I had a medical bill from when I was 14 get sent to collections because my parents didn't pay it. It was found on my credit report when I was 23 and trying to buy a new car.

I don't know what it is like in CT, but my situation really sucked. The collection agency didn't care that the bills were from when I was a kid and my parents should be responsible for them. They just wanted the money. I called the doctor and they said they couldn't help me since it had been turned over to collections.

I ended up paying for it because it was on my credit report.

The story I got from my mom was that the doctor's office burned down while she was paying the bill. She hoped the records were lost and stopped paying it/ignored anything else about it.

The point of my post is, I'm not sure how you can solve this beyond paying it. The collection agency doesn't care that this charges were made in error and the state of CT will likely just tell you that you're SOL because they turned it over to a collection agency.

I thought there was a 7 year time limit for a report to stay on your credit report
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm not concerned about wage garnishment. It is nt an income tax from what I have read. It is a motor vehicle tax. Apparently 2 different things
Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
RendeR
Coordinator

#1 if this was a valid STATE TAX issue you would have heard from them. TRUST ME. They know how to locate you.

#2 if this were a valid debt it WOULD be on your credit report. States are notorious for reporting debts even fallacious ones. It WOULD be there.

#3 If this is actually a collection agency (a valid and reputable one) they will be contacting you by mail, not by phone at 6am.

#4 its been 11+years, with no contact from a valid source within that time any lawyer worth his ass will have this negated with a few phone calls and a filing IF in fact you discover this is a valid debt. BIG IF.

My take is this is just a scam, or a horrible collection agency trying to buy up invalid debts and make money off someone who isn't informed. Don't be bullied into anything. If its real they will send legal documentation. (and NO those stupid "lets settle your debt" forms they send en-mass are NOT legal documentation.)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
dacman
College Benchwarmer

The law is on your side here -- the collection agency has already broken it by contacting you outside of "normal" hours.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #22
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Fair Debt Collection Practices Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #23
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

DCP: Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act

There may also be some federal laws to help you here.

You mentioned that you have the money to pay the debt but don't want to. That means that you might have the money to hire an attorney. The problem is that I don't know any good attorneys in CT. Google brings this up, but, again, I know nothing about them: Connecticut Consumer Protection Law Firm - Consumer Law Group
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
I thought there was a 7 year time limit for a report to stay on your credit report

Unless you act to remove something it will remain there forever, if it is older than 7 years then the people checking your credit normally ignore it, but that does not mean it gets removed without your input.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm not concerned about wage garnishment. It is nt an income tax from what I have read. It is a motor vehicle tax. Apparently 2 different things

Garnishment cannot happen without a court order, even by the state. There must be numerous attempts to contact you and inform you of this ahead of time. The more I read back over this the more I'm certain its just some shady 2 bit operation trying to scratch a few bucks out of people they don't think will check up on anything.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #26
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Garnishment cannot happen without a court order, even by the state. There must be numerous attempts to contact you and inform you of this ahead of time. The more I read back over this the more I'm certain its just some shady 2 bit operation trying to scratch a few bucks out of people they don't think will check up on anything.

+10000 This.

This collection agency is hoping you are the typical uninformed consumer. If you pay them 50 dollars, they've probably made a profit. Dont talk to them on the phone and have all communications in writting. A sternly written letter informing them that any communication is to be in writting and informing them that any negative reporting to ANY credit reporting agency will not be tollerated. Also, they are not allowed to call you at work or discuss this alleged debt with anyone else.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #27
RendeR
Coordinator

Save yourself a load of annoyance, just ignore the collection agency entirely. They got nothing that you can be bothered by.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #28
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Save yourself a load of annoyance, just ignore the collection agency entirely. They got nothing that you can be bothered by.

Nah, Fuck with them......
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #29
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Nah, Fuck with them......

No, thats just the thing they will use against you to get around harassment laws and drive you fucking nuts.

Please...I've BEEN there done this. its really fucking ridiculous don't give them ANYTHING to keep bugging you for.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The fact that he was able to find the debt on a city website is somewhat frightening. I think this is more than just some typical rah rah collection agency bullshit. I believe municipal debts aren't anything to be trifiled with.

And some collection agencies might actually be official arms of the municipality. I'd google the agency, and see what the reputation is for them. Creditboards.com
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #31
samifan24
Pro Starter

Connecticut sucks. Living in Connecticut is awful. I hope you get this situation figured out but be thankful you're not still stuck in this awful state.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #32
sabotai
General Manager

I have spent a grand total of 1 day in CT in my life. More than enough.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #33
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Spent 3 years in Groton. Ugh.

Been in Stamford the last 6 months(via hotel)....the free food and drinks balance things out.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-27-2012 at 06:16 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #34
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

quick update- I checked the municipality website since it was the first of the month and they charged me 1.5% interest so the juice is still flowing
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

whelp

Talked to a tax attorney in Connecticut and he told me basically we are going to have to pay. The laws are on the books and there isn't much that can be done about it.

He told me to get my records from the NJ DMV and he may be able to do something about the time I lived there that Ct. is trying to charge me.

HE said they would likely sue if we don''t pay, and since they are still charging interest we are kind of over a barrel.

One thing I am going to do before I pay is exaust all avenues trying to get it ruduced to just the principle or make some other deal.

I am also going to write a story about the whole ordeal, prior to making any payment, and send it to every news outlet in the country in the hopes someone picks up the story and exposes the criminal activity the state is engaging in behind the guise of the law.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #36
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
The law is on your side here -- the collection agency has already broken it by contacting you outside of "normal" hours.

Treble effin damages! Maybe you can sue the collection agency for enough to pay off the tax (if validly owed) and go out to a nice dinner.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #37
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Have you talked to that specific town's tax assessor? What town is it?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #38
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Have you talked to that specific town's tax assessor? What town is it?

It's Waterbury and apparently they have been starting to go after people on a mass scale. The attorney has been contacted by other people as well. I was advised by my attorney to not contact anyone until I spoke with the Ct. attorney. My next step will be contacting the tax assesor.

I have no problem paying the principle, this is just such a shitty thing to do in this economy to people.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #39
JediKooter
Coordinator

If the debt is expired, they can not sue you. They can not report the debt on your credit reports if it has been more than 7 years. Seriously, it sounds like you are about to pay something, that legally, you owe zero, zilch, nada. You talked to the wrong kind of attorney. You need to talk to one that specializes in consumer debt protection.

EDIT: They can sue you, but, once it is proven to be a 'time expired debt' they've just been caught breaking the law.

2nd EDIT: I'm saying all of this assuming that the initial contact was from a debt collector.

3rd EDIT: Try this website, lots of good info on there and it's free last I checked(I've found it to be very helpful): http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-02-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The debt has not expired. 15 year statute of limitations
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #41
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm seeing that it's 6 years for Conneticut. The only thing that I'm finding that is 15 years are judgements. However, now that you live in Washington state (and I'll have to double check on this), Washington state's satute of limitations may be the ones that are applicable.

EDIT: Ok finally found it. 6 years for most other debts, 15 years for local taxes (including vehicle taxes). Damn.

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-02-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #42
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I'm seeing that it's 6 years for Conneticut. The only thing that I'm finding that is 15 years are judgements. However, now that you live in Washington state (and I'll have to double check on this), Washington state's satute of limitations may be the ones that are applicable.

No, I've checked, believe me. 15 years is the statute of limitations for outstanding tax debt. I'm going to do more research, but at the end of the day I would rather not have this hanging over my head the rest of my life. I would rather pay the debt, assuming it is valid, and move on.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #43
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm seeing that it's 6 years for Conneticut.

do you have a link for this? Any info is helpful
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #44
JediKooter
Coordinator

Yup, it's 15 for the local taxes there. That sucks ass. But, you might want to see if Washington states laws take precedence over Connecticuts. Hopefully Washington's is less than 15.

I can't find crap on Washington though.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #45
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

This seems strange even for CT. Maybe I am not understanding you correctly, but are they charging you for taxes from 2001-2003 when you didn't even live in CT anymore? Was your car registered in another state at that time? Why can't you just provide documentation showing you paid property taxes and resided in another state during that time period?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #46
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
This seems strange even for CT. Maybe I am not understanding you correctly, but are they charging you for taxes from 2001-2003 when you didn't even live in CT anymore? Was your car registered in another state at that time? Why can't you just provide documentation showing you paid property taxes and resided in another state during that time period?

Part of the charges is from a time I did live in the state and part is for a time I did not.

The problem is the letter I received from the collection agency states that you can only challange the debt for 2 years after the billing date, yet they wait ten years to contact you about it.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #47
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Part of the charges is from a time I did live in the state and part is for a time I did not.

The problem is the letter I received from the collection agency states that you can only challange the debt for 2 years after the billing date, yet they wait ten years to contact you about it.

I'd believe anything said by a collection agency as about as much as I'd believe a complusive liar. Did their letter also say, that if they don't hear anything from you in 90 days they will assume that this debt is valid?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #48
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'd believe anything said by a collection agency as about as much as I'd believe a complusive liar. Did their letter also say, that if they don't hear anything from you in 90 days they will assume that this debt is valid?

I don't know, and usually I don't either. I was able to go to the citites website and confirm that the debt is valid. I would never blindly believe a collection agency.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #49
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know, and usually I don't either. I was able to go to the citites website and confirm that the debt is valid. I would never blindly believe a collection agency.

There's a few extra protections though for people when debts are handed over to collection agencies. I would just implore you to please exhaust every resource (as much of a PITA it is) to at least, minimize anything that may have to come out of your pocket.

This whole thing just reeks of, sorry us legislators can't balance a budget, so we're going to try and pick pocket as many people as we possible can. On a matter of priciple (not that it matters legally), if they were really worried about the debt, they would have tried to collect it when it was originally due and not 10 or 12 years later.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #50
Blackadar
Retired

I'm really unclear on a number of issues here, Lathum.

1. Who owns the debt? Is it the State or the Collection Agency?

2. If it's still the State, then the debt has been assigned and the collection agency does not own the debt- simply refuse to deal with them. You have no business with them and they do not legally own the debt. End of conversation. If you really want to be a shit, demand an original notarized letter of agency before any further communications between you and the collection agency. If they sold the debt, then the 6 year statute of limitations applies and not the 15 years. My guess is that the debt has been assigned, so hit the "prove your agency" thing hard. Also, remember in that case the municipality has to follow the rules of FDCPA. Given their 5:30 AM call to you, the municipality is in violation of FDCPA. That's ammo for later if need be.

Note: It seems that the munis have been claiming they don't fall under FDCPA because this is a tax debt. That's not at all clear and their use of collection agents muddies that water even further. They don't want to have to prove that in court...that works in your favor.

3. Have you been properly and officially notified of this debt in writing? Have you responded via certified letter asking them to validate the debt?

4. Have you filed a complaint against the Collection Agency for violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act for contacting you at 5:30 AM?

5. Have you responded to any notices via in-writing or via telephone at all?

Look, they have to go to court to garnish your wages. I believe there is a law in CN that states they can't go to court to collect a debt after 6 years. They can't report it to any credit bureaus. So with all that said, you may owe the money, but you're probably untouchable.

FYI, they've been doing this for years. This isn't a new thing. Look on the Internet and you'll see a bunch of threads regarding this. For example,

Is there a Statute of Limitations for Connection for Personal Property Back Taxes Due

Also, here are a couple of other options/resources:

Use this: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...edit/cre27.pdf

You could write and send a registered "cease and desist" letter claiming a "null and void" debt claim as per unmet FTC requirements. Send the letter tot he tax assessor. Also, you could claim that you have paid the taxes previously but that banks do not retain the canceled checks after 10 years that there is no way to prove you have done so, so cease and desist.

Personally, I'd just ignore the whole ball of wax until they served me with papers to appear in court. You have a 99% chance they're not going to do that, so this will all go away. The other way is to go on the counter-offensive and make them jump through all the legal hoops before ever getting down to brass tacks. Either way, you're just trying to delay any collection for just a couple of years until the 15 year statute of limitations runs out.

...Traditional I Am Not A Lawyer disclaimer...

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-02-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote