Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Super Bowl Commercials

I was going to post this in the Random Thoughts thread, but figured it was a decent enough discussion topic. Plus, we usually have a commercials thread at some point, so here it is for those who want to discuss them.

Anyway, the reason for starting this thread is that I'm fascinated by the trend of releasing SB commercials before they air during the SB. I would think you get the most bang for your buck out of making people wait for the "event" of airing during the SB rather than leaking them earlier to little fanfare. There must be a legitimate marketing reason for it, but if there is, it seems to fly in the face of what you'd think gives the most marketing impact.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I was wondering about this, too. My guess is that the window after the Super Bowl is crowded with people talking about the best couple of spots. So, if your spot isn't one of them, you might get drowned out.

Here, you get a week or so of free pre-publicity by having the commercial "get leaked."

Maybe also the thinking is that everyone will see all the commercials anyway, so you are not losing eyeballs by talking about it before hand.

All just guesses on my part.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Ksyrup

I can see it cut both ways, I guess. On one hand, these commercials aren't exactly like MP3s, where it's inevitable that someone's going to get it and share it with the world before the SB. At least, I don't think so. So it seems that you are cutting down on the "in the moment" effectiveness of the spot by having at least a segment of the viewing audience react like, "I've already seen that one," thereby (I would think) lessening the chance people are going to talk about the ad that night and the next day.

On the other hand, maybe that's a good thing if the ad is perceived negatively. Then again, if you're going through all of the time and expense of putting one of these together, I would think you're confident enough in it that this thought shouldn't enter your mind. Otherwise, you just spent a lot of money to shoot yourself in the foot. But in the game of "any press is good press," isnt' the fact that your commercial sucked enough to have people single it out still a net positive?

I don't know enough about marketing to answer any of these questions, or even know if they are worth answering. I'm sure someone has figured it out and that's why they are releasing them early. Just seems odd.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So it seems that you are cutting down on the "in the moment" effectiveness of the spot by having at least a segment of the viewing audience react like, "I've already seen that one," thereby (I would think) lessening the chance people are going to talk about the ad that night and the next day.

Maybe they're hoping for more of the flip side? If other people are like me, they can't manage to watch every commercial. But maybe someone in a group will say, "oh, I saw this one, it's funny" and more people will start paying attention.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Disappointed by the Ferris Bueller commercial. The guy we all wanted to be in high school is now overweight, with bad hair, a boring job and driving a Honda. No thanks.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Ksyrup

And has an equine fetish.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

and a billion dollars
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
Disappointed by the Ferris Bueller commercial. The guy we all wanted to be in high school is now overweight, with bad hair, a boring job and driving a Honda. No thanks.

+1
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

What I don't get with the 'Super Bowl commericals' is .... why pay to air them during the Superbowl at all? ...

Call it a Super Bowl commercial, leak it - if its good then it'll go viral and more people will see it that way then would through the Super Bowl slot anyway surely plus you save $x million that you'd be paying for an over-priced advertising slot.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

wow they really released them BEFORE the superbowl??? Talk about lame. Then again most superbowl commercials are pretty lame nowadays. I used to watch the superbowl mainly for the commercials but now I don't much care about them.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Grover
Pro Starter

Win.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

That's one ugly car.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
What I don't get with the 'Super Bowl commericals' is .... why pay to air them during the Superbowl at all? ...

Call it a Super Bowl commercial, leak it - if its good then it'll go viral and more people will see it that way then would through the Super Bowl slot anyway surely plus you save $x million that you'd be paying for an over-priced advertising slot.

I almost posted the same thing but wondered if the "leaking" gets done directly by the agencies in order to be officially branded a SB commercial. I agree with you though.

Last edited by Logan : 01-31-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Call it a Super Bowl commercial, leak it - if its good then it'll go viral and more people will see it that way then would through the Super Bowl slot anyway

Umm ... probably not.

Avg quarter-hour for last year's Super Bowl was 111 million viewers. Plus an enormous number of Tweets/FB posts/etc to go with a lot of those spots, so there's an immediate multiplier on any SB ad impressions.

Meanwhile, the most viewed commercial video on YouTube video last year was 49.5 million (Volkswagen Force spot)

Even the most viewed video last year period ("Ultimate Dog Tease") was only 91 million views.

(Here's the list in case anyone is curious)
Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
That's one ugly car.

If you notice at about 5 seconds in, when she's bent over, she's mimicking the shape of the car.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ... probably not.

Avg quarter-hour for last year's Super Bowl was 111 million viewers. Plus an enormous number of Tweets/FB posts/etc to go with a lot of those spots, so there's an immediate multiplier on any SB ad impressions.

Meanwhile, the most viewed commercial video on YouTube video last year was 49.5 million (Volkswagen Force spot)

Even the most viewed video last year period ("Ultimate Dog Tease") was only 91 million views.

(Here's the list in case anyone is curious)

yeah i was gonna say, the superbowl is probably one of the main programs that will get you more viewers than a youtube video. (and probably more noncomputerusers than users )
Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
That's one ugly car.

But one hot chick.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Not bad, seems like they are trying a bit too hard...

Last edited by AENeuman : 02-01-2012 at 07:37 PM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
DanGarion
Coordinator

Looking forward to seeing the reaction to the Time Warner Cable ad that my company is playing at around 7:58 PM Eastern. We saw it on Friday during a meeting and I was pretty impressed with it. I'm not 100% if it is national or not though.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
If you notice at about 5 seconds in, when she's bent over, she's mimicking the shape of the car.

Still ugly.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Looking forward to seeing the reaction to the Time Warner Cable ad that my company is playing at around 7:58 PM Eastern. We saw it on Friday during a meeting and I was pretty impressed with it. I'm not 100% if it is national or not though.

Is it "Fuck you MSG"? If not, I don't care.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you're a company, why not show it online? People will still watch it on tv as it's not as if you know X commercial will be on at 8:04 so since I saw it online, it's a chance to go take a bathroom break. You're getting people to watch your advertising willingly. There's really no downside

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

I vote HOT on the Century 21 agent in the teaser commercial.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Now that the game is over we await the real answers... what were the best commercials?

My be forgetting some but off the top of my head and not in a particular order....

- Volkswagen
- KIA
- Chevy
- Flower Commercial (whatever the company was)
- The Seinfeld one
- I liked the vampire one a little too but can't remember which car company it was (was afraid it was going to be twighlightish when I heard it was vampires)

Last edited by EagleFan : 02-05-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #26
sabotai
General Manager

Speaking of not remembering, all I remembered from the Chevy one was the dig against Ford. I didn't know it was a Chevy commercial until I looked it up just now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
Izulde
Head Coach

Of the ones I saw, Fiat was my favorite. But Kia? Adriana Lima can wave my flag any time.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Of the ones I saw, Fiat was my favorite. But Kia? Adriana Lima can wave my flag any time.

The problems with the Fiat commercial where when they replaced the woman with the car.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #29
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The problems with the Fiat commercial where when they replaced the woman with the car.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #31
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think the only ones I really really liked were the dog losing weight (Volkswagon) and the Matthew's Day Off one.

Everything else was underwhelming. I think the worst commercials just go to Bud Light in general for the lot with 2nd place going to godaddy.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-05-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #32
Izulde
Head Coach

I thought the worst was a tie between the Coke commercial with the polar bears and the GoDaddy. Flat and uninspiring, and a terrible use of an icon with Coke, and GoDaddy needs a new and better schtick.

The Seinfeld/Leno commercial everyone loves I thought was stupid and annoying, but that's just my own personal opinion.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #33
bhlloy
Coordinator

What I saw of the commercials were pretty bad this year. The only one we thought was somewhat funny was John Stamos getting headbutted, but that's because I have the sense of humor of a 13 year old and think people getting headbutted is high comedy.

Other than that, meh. The dog/VW one above was decent until they tried to shoehorn it into last year's ad and the star wars theme, which was bizarre and didn't work at all.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #34
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I thought the worst was a tie between the Coke commercial with the polar bears and the GoDaddy. Flat and uninspiring, and a terrible use of an icon with Coke, and GoDaddy needs a new and better schtick.

The Seinfeld/Leno commercial everyone loves I thought was stupid and annoying, but that's just my own personal opinion.

The word I'd use to descibe the Seinfeld commercial was "creepy".
Leno in the batsquirrel suit...*shudder*
Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #35
bhlloy
Coordinator

The weird thing about the Seinfeld commercial is I wouldn't have thought Seinfeld or Leno fans are the target audience and they don't need those guys to sell it. It's a really good looking sports car from a respected manufacturer. If anything, those guys make it less cool.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #36
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I enjoyed:

-Chevy
-Kia
-Acura (Seinfeld)
-Doritos (slingshot baby)

Was disappointed not to see the Budweiser hockey commercial that has been floating around as their "big game" ad. Thought the beer commercials were really uninspired this time around - they didn't seem any different than your run-of-the-mill Wednesday night TV commercials.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #37
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Oh, and I was mildly amused by the Bridgestone football commercial.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #38
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

I think the 'super bowl commercial slot' was a quick high and a fast drop, relatively. on one end, the 2000's brought out the boys of marketing and showed what kind of $$$ an expensive timeslot brings. and now with youtube and technology in general, as general person x learns more and more to completely adapt to daily internet ventures, there is no point to have a million dollar 30 second ad when eventually all this stuff will be easily viewed/accessible to joe public.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #39
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I think the 'super bowl commercial slot' was a quick high and a fast drop, relatively. on one end, the 2000's brought out the boys of marketing and showed what kind of $$$ an expensive timeslot brings. and now with youtube and technology in general, as general person x learns more and more to completely adapt to daily internet ventures, there is no point to have a million dollar 30 second ad when eventually all this stuff will be easily viewed/accessible to joe public.

agreed. The 80's and 90s featured some bigboys doing big things and even the late nineties companies just missed the mark completely by trying too hard and/or just being stupid. Granted there is like 1 or 2 totally memorable ones every year, but that pales to what it used to be where you were waiting for every single ad every break and enjoying over half of them.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #40
Rizon
Pro Starter

Probably the worst set of commercials I can't remember seeing in quite some time. Maybe ever. I got about 2 chuckles and 0 laughs and 100 I Can't Believe You Paid 3.1 Million For Thats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #41
spleen1015
Coordinator

Here Weego was my favorite.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #42
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The weird thing about the Seinfeld commercial is I wouldn't have thought Seinfeld or Leno fans are the target audience and they don't need those guys to sell it. It's a really good looking sports car from a respected manufacturer. If anything, those guys make it less cool.

With its price tag most of the sales are going to go to boomers looking to relive their youth.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #43
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
With its price tag most of the sales are going to go to boomers looking to relive their youth.

And those folks know that Seinfeld and Leno are "car guys". I liked it, FWIW.

Also really loved the Kia spots, Matthew Brodrick's Day Off, the Chevy apocalypse one and the WeGo.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-06-2012 at 08:30 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #44
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Speaking of not remembering, all I remembered from the Chevy one was the dig against Ford. I didn't know it was a Chevy commercial until I looked it up just now.

I thought that was a commercial for twinkies.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #45
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And those folks know that Seinfeld and Leno are "car guys". I liked it, FWIW.

I was kinda surprised Leno laid himself open to "there goes Leno swooping in to steal something from another deserving comedian" joke, but I guess when you've got as much money as he does and 60 year olds can't bear the thought of dozing off without you, you don't really care what people think.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #46
Ksyrup

Biggest surprise for me was NBC greenlighting a car commercial simulating someone jizzing on the hood, a week after pulling an epside of Fear Factor that had people drinking donkey semen.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #47
MrBug708
Head Coach

I liked the M&M's one with Sexy and I Know It
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #48
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Biggest surprise for me was NBC greenlighting a car commercial simulating someone jizzing on the hood, a week after pulling an epside of Fear Factor that had people drinking donkey semen.

I didn't see that, but I have to say the commercials make me very uncomfortable letting my kids watch the show, particularly since their favorite part is the commercials.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #49
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I didn't see that, but I have to say the commercials make me very uncomfortable letting my kids watch the show, particularly since their favorite part is the commercials.

I didn't see it either, but it was equally uncool watching the commercials with my father-in-law.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
there is no point to have a million dollar 30 second ad when eventually all this stuff will be easily viewed/accessible to joe public.

At which point it would become a 7-figure (plus) online ad instead. Oh, wait, they're already charging right around $1m per for the online ads.