Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Car Accident: Doing my Due Diligence

FOFC to the rescue (again)

My wife and daughter were in a car accident on Thursday night. Long story short, it was not her fault - someone attempted a left hand turn into oncoming traffic (my wife). She hit my wife and during my wife's attempt to go around her, my wife hit a car that was perpendicular to her (attempting to make a right-hand turn on red). Driver's side air bags deployed, and the front end seems to be totaled.

The car is currently in the shop and we should soon hear back regarding whether it can be repaired or not.

The question I have is - my wife severely sprained her thumb and has a series of (what look like) minor injuries. The next day, however, she's had some neck pain. My first thoughts are not so sue the daylights out of anyone, but I want to make sure we're covered for any issues that may arise (whether it be healthcare, or trauma). I do know she's a little jumpy right now for two reasons - my 11 year old daughter was in the car (who fortunately was not hurt) and the obvious trauma of being blind-sided by this event as a whole.

From a legal standpoint - how do I go about making sure we're covered? I don't want to go to a standard ambulance chaser whose sole purpose is to milk the system for all its worth. We're currently documenting everything, so I think we have that squared away. This is a figurative minefield that we have no experience in, and I don't want to come away feeling that we got screwed by a system that can easily take people for a ride.

Thanks!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My experience is that you need an attorney to get fair compensation. The one time I had an accident with minor injuries I didn't get an attorney and I had to fight tooth and nail for everything. They aren't trying to be fair, they are trying to pay out as little as possible.

That being said, document every penny spent. You won't get anything without the documents to prove it.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

Call your insurance company and have them fight for you.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Call your insurance company and have them fight for you.

This. It is what you pay them for.

I work for one of the big insurance companies on the property damage side. Shoot me a PM if you have questions
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

thirded on calling the insurance company.

and first to say that I'm glad they are okay!