Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Fitbit

Anyone have a Fitbit device?

FitbitĀ® Official Site: Force, Flex, One and Zip Wireless Activity and Sleep Trackers

I'm thinking of getting one for my wife who has recently expressed that she wants to be more active (hiking, walking, etc.).

AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Comey
College Starter

I own the Force. Love it. It's fantastic. I really enjoy using it.

That said, you *might* want to wait until CES next week, just to see what is unveiled.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My wife has one. I 'm pretty sure she loves it more than her own family.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Two of my daughters have one and we got my mother one for Christmas. They all seem to enjoy it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I don't have one but many people on the Lose It forums have one and they swear by it. Seems very useful for someone who's not really active but wants to be and needs a little something to get themselves to become more active, like reaching a daily step goal or the likes. That's the reason why it's not useful for me, I move enough already and when I go out for a run, I wear my HRM...

FM
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I don't have one but many people on the Lose It forums have one and they swear by it. Seems very useful for someone who's not really active but wants to be and needs a little something to get themselves to become more active, like reaching a daily step goal or the likes. That's the reason why it's not useful for me, I move enough already and when I go out for a run, I wear my HRM...

FM

Not necessarily the point of this thread, but figured I would mention since you upload to garmin connect, if you have a footpod (I think you do), you can sync that data with fitbit and keep track of at least those steps if you are interested.

(I do it at least)

Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Not necessarily the point of this thread, but figured I would mention since you upload to garmin connect, if you have a footpod (I think you do), you can sync that data with fitbit and keep track of at least those steps if you are interested.

(I do it at least)

that's interesting. And yes, I have a footpod... You simply sign up for an account on Fitbit? Do you use one of your funky third party application to get it to sync?

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 01-04-2014 at 06:03 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Easy Mac

My wife got one two years ago. I think it's been in the closet for 23 months.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
that's interesting. And yes, I have a footpod... You simply sign up for an account on Fitbit? Do you use one of your funky third party application to get it to sync?

FM

Yeah, you use a third party app for the sync. I'll send you a PM with the instructions so I don't take this thread off topic.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
I own the Force. Love it. It's fantastic. I really enjoy using it.

That said, you *might* want to wait until CES next week, just to see what is unveiled.

I have the Force, too, and also like it. I had a Fitbit One before and rarely used it...would forget to move it from pocket to pocket or the like. But the Force, going on the wrist, much easier.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
samifan24
Pro Starter

I own a Fitbit Ultra and I love it. I later bought an Aria scale and I love that too. The integration between my Fitbit and MyFitnessPal is great.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
Groundhog
Coordinator

I picked up 3 Fitbit Forces while in the US. FWIW all 3 have had technical issues, two I was able to resolve via google, and the other one Fitbit replaced - which was impressive considering I couldn't find the darn receipt either.

Outside of that, I wish one of the three I bought had been for myself. I think they're great, makes walking around seem like a video game.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
PilotMan
Head Coach

How important is it to have a smart phone with these? I held off getting one for my wife because we don't have them. She has a tablet and laptop, but I figured the best use for it is with the smart phone. Should I hold off until we upgrade that part of our life?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
How important is it to have a smart phone with these? I held off getting one for my wife because we don't have them. She has a tablet and laptop, but I figured the best use for it is with the smart phone. Should I hold off until we upgrade that part of our life?

Not essential by any means. They can sync via phone (I think the Force is still working on the Android app) which many find convenient, but you can also sync via a laptop. Or if your tablet has bluetooth, that usually works, too (it does for the FitBit One, never had the Flex so can't speak to that, Force see previous Android comment). Some people sync daily. I forget regularly. I sync every 3rd day or so. I like to track my sleep with it. I don't know how accurate it is in general but at least it's self-consistent. I like to use it to get an estimate of how I'm sleeping now as compared to how I slept pre-surgery and how my sleeping has improved (or not) as I theoretically continue to heal...

Edit: goes off to sync Fitbit...

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 01-04-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

so, was looking at these... whats the point? is it just a pedometer?

( I never get tech quickly)

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It measures your steps per day which can be useful for people who are trying to improve how inactive their lives are from too much sitting at the computer or video games or watching tv or whatever. Setting up daily goals for how many steps they want to take or how active they want to be is a good gateway to getting people healthier. It also can provide information such as sleep activity by measuring how restful or restless your sleep is, which might be useful for those suffering from fatigue or looking to improve that part of their life.

I am guessing there are other things it can do too, but it seems a perfect motivator for someone who might not necessarily currently be on a fitness routine already. Plus you can integrate this data with other partner sites such as lose it or my fitness pal and incorporate weight data or calorie counting to give a more complete fitness picture too.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

how does it monitor your sleep? I would love to be able to quantify to a DR how shitty I sleep!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was sceptical too, thinking it was just a pedometer, but yeah, it's pretty amazing. We were trying to trick it in Vegas on the automatic walkway/travelators by doing a walking motion standing still, it didn't register. My fiancee monitors her sleep with it and we look back at how she sleeps after a night out/day of exercise/etc. Very interesting.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
so, was looking at these... whats the point? is it just a pedometer?

( I never get tech quickly)

I think that one of the draws to this is that you can earn achievements and badges, which can be a motivating tool.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #20
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

Plus you can integrate this data with other partner sites such as lose it or my fitness pal and incorporate weight data or calorie counting to give a more complete fitness picture too.

I think that's one of the places where this thing is very useful. If you are willing to change you lifestyle and then decide you will watch how much you eat, the fitbit, and others like it, will help you determine how active you are and conversely, if you are not simply eating just way more than what you are spending on a regular day...

FM
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 PM   #21
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Fitbit recalls force fitness tracker over skin irritation | Fox News
Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Desnudo
Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up. I developed a dime sized abrasion on my wrist from the force.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #23
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So the Force sounds like it would be an awesome device, but now it's unavailable for purchase. Anyone have any experience with the Flex?

Also, as someone who wears no jewelry, is this any more obtrusive than a wristwatch?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #24
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I got one a few weeks ago. Add me!

http://www.fitbit.com/user/2DDGKZ
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So the Force sounds like it would be an awesome device, but now it's unavailable for purchase. Anyone have any experience with the Flex?

Also, as someone who wears no jewelry, is this any more obtrusive than a wristwatch?

I have the force so I can only speak for that but its definitely no more obtrusive to me that a wristwatch. I actually haven't worn a watch in 10 years or so but I got used to my fitbit within a week or so.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #26
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
I got one a few weeks ago. Add me!

http://www.fitbit.com/user/2DDGKZ

added. (Rob Ordona)
Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #27
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

I just got the Flex. Imagine you're wearing one of those rubber wrist bands like the yellow ones LiveStrong made popular a few years ago, except a bit firmer and thicker.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #28
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Here's my profile

http://www.fitbit.com/user/2DFZCG
Old 02-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #29
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm wondering if I could still get a Force somewhere that isn't the manufacturer. Is their storage and wifi capability tied to the purchase? Seems like the device would lose almost all of its utility if I couldn't track more than a week at a time.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #30
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
I'm wondering if I could still get a Force somewhere that isn't the manufacturer. Is their storage and wifi capability tied to the purchase? Seems like the device would lose almost all of its utility if I couldn't track more than a week at a time.

You might have to browse Craigslist for a Force. I'm noticing a few more "Wanted: Fitbit Force" posts there though, so the prices will likely be driven up quickly.

As for your question, I dont think your data is tied to a particular registered purchase. You just link any Fitbit device to your account and it will transfer all the data collected from the device.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #31
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

It's so weird to me that people are having issues with the Force. I have ridiculously sensitive skin. They can't even use real tape on me at the hospital. I haven't had any issues with my Force. I will admit, I wear mine somewhat loosely (I can easily move it around on my wrist), so maybe that's helped..

I thought I had lost mine last weekend while at the Alton Brown show. I was really upset because I knew I wouldn't be able to replace it, and was glad I found it.

/tk
Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #32
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Sad...developed a rash on Monday, had to return mine. I really enjoyed using it the last 3 months, hope they come out with a new model soon.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #33
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Different product, but I've been looking for a cheap fitness tracker for me and my gf and came across this. I ordered it, figuring the price point is worth taking a gamble but wanted to come on here and see if anyone had any thoughts on the product or already had it?

A $12 fitness band? Yep. And it looks good.

Pivotal Life Tracker 1 Free with $12 Yearly Fitness Subscription

http://www.pivotalliving.com/
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?

Last edited by Neuqua : 12-15-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #34
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well the fitbit charge hr is now available to preorder from the company's website. I decided to pick it up. It's basically the same as the discontinued band except it has an actual hr monitor. Good reviews for it and it beats trying to find it in a store somewhere. I'm optimistic. On the other hand, I just ordered a new watch from Newegg. Guess I'll have some decisions to make.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I got the flex for Xmas and really like it.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #36
hoopsguy
General Manager

Also got one for Christmas (Charge) and happy with it as a much better step tracker than my watch, coupled with introducing a sleep tracker to my routine.
http://www.fitbit.com/user/33J88L
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #37
Dutch
"Dutch"

I got the Microsoft Band...links up with my e-mail and sends me alerts....so instead of pulling out my phone, I can just glance down and see if its important or not. Plus the on display pedometer and heart rate are nice functions...as well as an alarm that vibrates and is just enough to wake me up.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #38
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I got the Microsoft Band...links up with my e-mail and sends me alerts....so instead of pulling out my phone, I can just glance down and see if its important or not. Plus the on display pedometer and heart rate are nice functions...as well as an alarm that vibrates and is just enough to wake me up.

The Band, to me, looks utopian. But I have read countless bad reviews for it. Can you discuss your experiences with it, and how you view its long-term viability?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #39
Dutch
"Dutch"

I just got it a couple of weeks ago...so I cant vouch for the long term use yet. It woke me up this morning and notified me last night that I met my steps goal....just as I was walking into my hotel.

It's got a touch screen which is cool. The watch can either be on at all timed or off with a quick display at the click of a button...nothing feels cheap about it.

It syncs up with my text msging, email, calendar, calls...and has a GPS for runners to track distance during runs (it keeps you up to date in real time for both daily distance and specific runs)...it has a sleep monitor where you click the but to when you go to sleep and when you wake up and click the but to again it tells you hours and minutes of sleep...real time heart monitor....room to expand for new apps....I loaded a Starbucks app to track my credits and supposedly you can pay with your band...but I'm not the right guy to take the lead on that. All its missing is a BAC reader.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #40
Landshark44
High School Varsity

so, how many steps you guys doing....?

im averaging about 20,000
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #41
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

So how many are using the aria scale and how do you like it?

Is it fairly accurate and repeatable? (DO multiple step ons at the same time generate the same result) And if not how easy is it to delete entry that are uploaded?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 02-15-2016 at 11:06 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #42
RainMaker
General Manager

I bought my Dad the scale a year ago and he absolutely loves it. Really easy to delete bad entries. Not sure on how accurate multiple step-ons are but I've never come across a digital scale that was able to do it that accurately. Even a little different alignment on the scale can cause a small fluctuation.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:09 PM   #43
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have the scale too and I'm a big fan (of the device, if not the readings it gives me post-xmas )
Old 03-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #44
Kodos
Resident Alien

Anyone tried the Fitbit Charge HR?
Old 03-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #45
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've got the charge - big fan. I'm nearly through 1 month of no alcohol, and it's amazing the difference it's made on my resting heart rate... I was floating around 58-60 on average, and after 3 weeks I'm at 46.

BTW, I'm rescinding my recommendation of the aria scale above... Batteries ran out a week ago, and since changing them I can't get them to communicate with fitbit any more. A pretty common problem from what I've found online.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #46
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I recently got the Charge HR when my old small one stopped working. I like it a lot. As large as it is (at least compared to the old one), I don't mind it on my wrist at all, and it doesn't even affect my golf swing (and I am very persnickety about things on my person while playing sports). The data it provides is pretty great.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #47
Kodos
Resident Alien

Thanks guys. Pulled the trigger today on the Charge HR.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #48
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here's my profile:

https://www.fitbit.com/user/4D8TQT

Last edited by Kodos : 03-11-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #49
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

You just sent us to a profile where everything is private. Although by your profile pic, you're only like 12 months old so getting online and getting the link right is pretty good. Kudos, Kodos!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #50
Kodos
Resident Alien

I just wanted people to see my baby picture.

Settings have been adjusted.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-11-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote