Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Scramble test items on Word document

Need help doing the following, which I will try to explain as simply as I can:

Have a course I need to create a total of 5 assessments for on 5 different Word documents.

Each of these assessments must represent all 5 objectives in the course, and each objective is already organized in a Word doc containing all of those questions, for each module.

There are 300 questions total in the bank, broken down into these module/objective documents.

How can I lump all these together, in Word or Excel or whatever, and have them auto - scramble so that each test is at least 20% unique from each other?

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #2
nol
Banned

If you've got the questions in a single Excel file, you can create a column next to the questions and insert the formula =RAND()

That just gives a random number between 0 and 1, so you can drag that formula down for all the questions, sort the questions numerically (by that random value), and then get rid of the =RAND() column.

edit: not sure what kind of leeway you have on the number of questions per module. If you have to have exactly 1/5th of the questions per module/objective on each assessment, you could do a randomization for each group, paste the first X questions into a list you'll randomize at the end, and repeat for each module. Otherwise, it's probably not too much to skim and make sure each assessment has all the bases covered.

Last edited by nol : 08-22-2014 at 03:21 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote