Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Want to share a great moment from one of my youth players

I want to share this story from one of my parents about her son Sam. Sam is a player on my youth football team that is, well, just awesome. I coach because I love football and I love kids. I love being a positive influence in their lives, but Sam was clearly awesome before I met him back in March.

"On our way to football practice today and Sam's teacher calls my cell in tears. I immediately ask what had happened and she replied with "First let me say how much i love Sam and that he is an incredible leader. Today on the playground a special needs child with severe autism was sitting alone and crying. Sam ran up to him not knowing any teacher was watching and put his arm around him and said "HEY BUDDY DON'T CRY. COME PLAY WITH ME AND MY FRIENDS." The child sat up, hugged Sam and took his hand.Sam ran over to his friends and said 'THIS IS BRANDON AND HE'S MY NEW BEST BUDDY AND HE'S PLAYING WITH US FROM NOW ON!' Sam's friends said ok and they played the rest of the recess together.

The teacher who is assigned to shadow the boy saw the whole thing happen and ran in balling to Sam's teacher. She gave Sam the leadership award from the school and then the whole class had an in depth discussion about being kind to others and being a leader when no one is watching. The biggest compliment came when Sam's teacher said "Whatever you teach your kids as a mother I hope I can teach to my own young son. What a beautiful human being and mother you are to have a boy like Sam. I hope my son is half the kid he is at his age."

I simply cried and thanked her very much for her call. Then hugged my baby tight and am so thankful he is who he is no matter how bad this world may seem. My Samuel is #77 and a proud BEAR on Coach Rodney Polston's 2nd grade team."

Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What a heart warming story, he's got a good coach to boot!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The world needs more kids like Sam
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Great story

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:28 AM   #5
saldana
Pro Starter

awesome story!
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
timmae
College Starter

Thanks for sharing... very cool!! It's amazing how little compassion most people (including me most of the time) have towards others. A little thing can go a long way!
Old 09-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

It's interesting when you see the shift start to happen in some kids... some always keep that sense of "people are people", while others definitely begin to weed out those that are too "different" from their social circles a lot earlier.

Good for Sam, hopefully he will always keep that sense of inclusion and "social justice" and fight for his friends and outsiders against the bullies and naysayers of the world. The older they get, the harder it is to keep that trait.

Last edited by Butter : 09-11-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

awesome, coach!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote