Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Question About Lawnmower Maintence

Need some advice here.

I got my push mower out for the first time in about 4 years this week. It's about 5 years old but I only used it that first year. Anyhoo, I think I may have messed things up.

Problem #1: When I was putting the gas in, I was using one of those newfangled gas cans and accidentally dropped a rubber ring and a plastic ring that were around the nozzle, into the tank. I couldn't fish them out so I just said eff it and kept filling it up. I fired it up and was working fine until I hit a thin piece of metal framing that had been left in my yard and I did not see, which leads to problem #2.

Problem #2: When I hit the piece of metal framing, the mower stopped and the cap on the oil got blown clear off and it looks like a lot of oil came splashing up because the stick isn't showing any oil left in there at all. I had to use it to do a short job today and it stalled and sputtered a lot (I think a lot of this had to with some tall, wet grass too).

Anyway, will the little pieces in the gas tank be an issue, and I can I just refill the oil tank?

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully you didn't bend the crank thing that turns the blade. That can ruin the engine. As far as the gas tank goes the line from the tank should be roughly straw sized so I don't think you should worry about that. Hate hate hate the new gas can spouts.

Top off the oil, actually better off completely draining it and putting fresh in.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hopefully you didn't bend the crank thing that turns the blade. That can ruin the engine. As far as the gas tank goes the line from the tank should be roughly straw sized so I don't think you should worry about that. Hate hate hate the new gas can spouts.

Top off the oil, actually better off completely draining it and putting fresh in.

I don't think I bent anything or did any damage as it started up after I did it and then it started up again today, but given that it was strong enough to blow the oil cap off and knock oil out onto the frame, it certainly is my biggest concern.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote