Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #401
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You want to see clutch? Go watch Tyler Skaggs mom throw a perfect strike while doing first pitch honors tonight for the Angels.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:22 AM   #402
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And then the Angels pitched a no hitter.

Goosebumps.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:36 AM   #403
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Goosebumps.

This was a nutty night. Pretty much anyone pitching on Skaggs' "side" was spot on tonight. Amazing to get a no hittet tonight of all nights. Angels players all wore uniform # 45, too, and at the end of the game, laid out the jerseys all over the mound. Incredible evening.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #404
PilotMan
Head Coach

And to think I could have gone.... damn. I was just exhausted from an early morning and long day I just couldn't. Big missed opportunity.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #405
Logan
Head Coach

Incredible.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #406
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

Goosebumps.

Even more crazy....

The last time there was a combined no-hitter in the state of California? Orioles-A's in Oakland on July 13, 1991 - the same day Tyler Skaggs was born.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #407
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Even more crazy....

The last time there was a combined no-hitter in the state of California? Orioles-A's in Oakland on July 13, 1991 - the same day Tyler Skaggs was born.

That is some crazy shit
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #408
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even more crazy....

No. way.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #409
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Even more crazy....

7 runs in the first inning, 13 for the game. Which, as you just pointed out...Skaggs' birthday.

Trout with a .450 OBP in his last 45 games.

11th no-hitter in Angels' history. Skaggs' high school uni number? Guess.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #410
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
7 runs in the first inning, 13 for the game. Which, as you just pointed out...Skaggs' birthday.

Trout with a .450 OBP in his last 45 games.

11th no-hitter in Angels' history. Skaggs' high school uni number? Guess.

Wowzers!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #411
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I firmly believe we can make numbers say anything. But it's fun to find stuff like this.

For instance, Trout's homerun went 454 feet. 4+5+4=13

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:14 AM   #412
Atocep
Coordinator

I saw Matt Harvey got the win tonight. When you look back at 2013 Harvey it's absolutely crazy to say that he may end up with less than 50 career wins, less than 1000 career innings, less than 1000 career strikeouts, will likely have a losing record.

His career is the type of shit that gets you to shut off OOTP for a while.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:37 AM   #413
tarcone
Coordinator

A player stole 1st base for the first time in the history of professional baseball.

The Atlantic league is testing some rules out.

Tony Thomas steals first base, makes pro baseball history

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #414
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
A player stole 1st base for the first time in the history of professional baseball.

The Atlantic league is testing some rules out.

Tony Thomas steals first base, makes pro baseball history

I dont get that rule at all. IMO it adds nothing to the game.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #415
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I saw Matt Harvey got the win tonight. When you look back at 2013 Harvey it's absolutely crazy to say that he may end up with less than 50 career wins, less than 1000 career innings, less than 1000 career strikeouts, will likely have a losing record.

His career is the type of shit that gets you to shut off OOTP for a while.

Isnt that the truth
Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 PM   #416
JPhillips
General Manager

It seems pretty clear that Harvey just couldn't take the workload of a starter. His two best seasons he pitched less than two hundred innings each, and then injuries wrecked him, particularly the thoracic outlet problem.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #417
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Watching the Dodgers/Red Sox game (and if you're going to have a 4+ hour Sunday night game, it'll certainly involve the Red Sox!), the Dodgers 2B pulled out a card and appeared to be so engrossed in reading it he wasn't watching when the pitcher threw their first pitch to the new batter.

Is fielder's having cards a new development? Shifts are one thing, but asking fielders to think about which way hitters generally hit seems to be going too far.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:24 AM   #418
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Is fielder's having cards a new development? Shifts are one thing, but asking fielders to think about which way hitters generally hit seems to be going too far.

Been around a little while now I guess, just an extension of the OF using the same kind of thing. This article - which was about MLB approving use of similar cards for pitchers -- from last Sept mentions them as being "common" for fielders and this one from 2018 spring training talks about the Red Sox using them for infielders.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:35 AM   #419
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Watching the Dodgers/Red Sox game (and if you're going to have a 4+ hour Sunday night game, it'll certainly involve the Red Sox!), the Dodgers 2B pulled out a card and appeared to be so engrossed in reading it he wasn't watching when the pitcher threw their first pitch to the new batter.

Dodgers have used those for a few years. Certainly as long ago as when I was still with my previous employer, which is 3-4 years now.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:45 AM   #420
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I dont get that rule at all. IMO it adds nothing to the game.

Shouldn’t there be ramifications of throwing a wild pitch/passed ball even if nobody is on base? Just playing devils advocate. Calling it “stealing first” is really dumb though. Also along the same lines shouldn’t a balk advance a runner to first.

I don’t think this is a necessary rule change however and calling it stealing first is a way to immediately cause people to disregard it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #421
MrBug708
Head Coach

Max Muncy now has 4 bases loaded walks on the year.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #422
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Max Muncy now has 4 bases loaded walks on the year.

cue Marty Brenneman complaining about him not swinging the bat like a real hitter would.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #423
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Also along the same lines shouldn’t a balk advance a runner to first.

The balk rule is just to allow a reasonable chance of stealing, though, right? Just to make it so the pitcher can't try just any funky motion to catch a runner. With that in mind, I don't think you give the batter first because the rule is not about him, it's about keeping a runner from stealing.

That said, I'm not sure what the point of allowing the batter to steal first on a passed ball is supposed to "fix".
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #424
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Shouldn’t there be ramifications of throwing a wild pitch/passed ball even if nobody is on base?

I don't really think so. You already have the dropped 3rd which requires a clean completion of a play. If we want to go that route then why aren't there ramifications for continuing to foul off pitches with 2 strikes rather than put he ball in play?

Quote:
Also along the same lines shouldn’t a balk advance a runner to first.

Why? A balk is called because of a pitcher's attempt to deceive a base runner, not the batter.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #425
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

That said, I'm not sure what the point of allowing the batter to steal first on a passed ball is supposed to "fix".

I don't mind experimentation, but this is my problem. It seems like they're trying to force more action into the game in a situation that just doesn't make much sense.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:55 AM   #426
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
If we want to go that route then why aren't there ramifications for continuing to foul off pitches with 2 strikes rather than put he ball in play?

Hmmm. I'd be open to look at this. Long at bats slow the game to a crawl and maybe hitters would shorten up more knowing they can't repeatedly take big swings and keep batting as long as they get a piece of the ball. Pitchers would throw less pitches, allowing them to go deeper into games.

Last edited by lungs : 07-15-2019 at 11:56 AM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #427
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Hmmm. I'd be open to look at this. Long at bats slow the game to a crawl and maybe hitters would shorten up more knowing they can't repeatedly take big swings and keep batting as long as they get a piece of the ball. Pitchers would throw less pitches, allowing them to go deeper into games.

It's beer league softball 101. Start with a 1-1 count, and you get one free foul ball at two strikes. After that, it's a strikeout.

I think my local leagues did away with even the one free foul ball at two strikes recently.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #428
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's beer league softball 101. Start with a 1-1 count, and you get one free foul ball at two strikes. After that, it's a strikeout.

I think my local leagues did away with even the one free foul ball at two strikes recently.

Yeah, in my league you don't even get a foul ball at two strikes.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #429
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's beer league softball 101.

And nothing says professional sport quite like borrowing from beer league softball rules.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #430
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And nothing says professional sport quite like borrowing from beer league softball rules.

Are you still angry that they ended the catch after one bounce equals an out rule back in 1864?

Last edited by lungs : 07-15-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #431
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Are you still angry that they ended the catch after one bounce equals an out rule back in 1864?

A+

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #432
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm angry that the powers that be are going the NASCAR route and chasing people who aren't going to be caught & ruining the sport in the process.

I'm funny like that.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:25 PM   #433
RainMaker
General Manager

They look at so many weird ways to speed up the game when there are simple ways to do it without ruining the game.

- No mound visits.
- Once a batter enters the box for an at-bat, he's in. Pitcher can throw whenever he wants. None of this hold on while I re-adjust my batting gloves for the 14th time.
- No instant replay in regular season. Bad calls even out. Enough with the 5 minute delays.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 PM   #434
tarcone
Coordinator

Getting rid of the juiced ball would speed it up.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #435
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They look at so many weird ways to speed up the game when there are simple ways to do it without ruining the game.

- No mound visits.
- Once a batter enters the box for an at-bat, he's in. Pitcher can throw whenever he wants. None of this hold on while I re-adjust my batting gloves for the 14th time.
- No instant replay in regular season. Bad calls even out. Enough with the 5 minute delays.

Highlighted has long been a rallying call of mine. (I would allow 1 step out per AB) Add that the pitcher has 15 seconds to throw from when he toes the rubber and we are good. If the batter steps out more than once, automatic strike, pitcher doesn't throw in 15 seconds, ball.

Also agree on mound visits, you can discuss strategy between innings and alignment/pitch sequence can be directed from the dugout.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #436
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Getting rid of the juiced ball would speed it up.

We can't do that. Short attention spanned mouthbreathers loooooove the long ball.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #437
RainMaker
General Manager

But the commish say the ball isn't juiced as I watch a utility guy hit an opposite field homer on a check swing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #438
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Oh, Mets. Don't ever change.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:54 AM   #439
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice 10 run inning after being down 7-0 to the Reds.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:19 AM   #440
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #441
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dodger fans....

What are we going to do with this bullpen and Kenley?

He's loaded the bases with a 3 run lead again tonight. Walked a run in and needed 34 pitches to finish it up. He's doing just enough to keep his job, but can he be relied on for the playoffs?

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-26-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #442
MrBug708
Head Coach

He's never been the same since that balk mess he went through. Maybe we can fleece the Mets for Diaz and Thor
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #443
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sounds like the Red Sox with Kimbrel last year. With modern bullpen usage it's not the worst thing to have a big name closer while your best relievers are available for any high leverage spots... as long as the manager is willing to pull the plug and go with his best guys in October. Cora almost waited too long last fall, we'll see how Dave Roberts handles it if the Dodgers don't trade for a Diaz.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #444
Atocep
Coordinator

Someone tell me what the Mets are doing.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #445
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Someone tell me what the Mets are doing.

Stroman is controlled for next year. They felt they could make a run this year and still can. But even more, they are preparing for next year.

This is a move to win,

Old 07-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #446
JPhillips
General Manager

Only if they don't start trading other pitchers. Thor, Wheeler and Diaz are all rumored to be available. If they add Stroman to DeGrom, Thor, and Wheeler, that's a great rotation. If they instead have DeGrom and Stroman and ?, that's very confusing.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #447
tarcone
Coordinator

Im guessing that this signals they are not selling. I know they are asking for a replacement pitcher for Thor and high level prospects. they keep Wheeler and get a solid, young 4, it makes sense.

But Thor has 2+ years of control left. I dont know why they would trade him.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #448
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The Mets appear not to even realize what their issues are. Its a purely awful defense and a bullpen that has an underachieved and needs a makeover. But yeah, keep loading up on starting pitchers which is already your strength.

Im with Atocep when I seen that come across my phone. I had to double and triple look thinking why are the Mets trading for starting pitching.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #449
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Only if they don't start trading other pitchers. Thor, Wheeler and Diaz are all rumored to be available. If they add Stroman to DeGrom, Thor, and Wheeler, that's a great rotation. If they instead have DeGrom and Stroman and ?, that's very confusing.

In a vacuum, yeah. However, the Mets have one of the 3 worst defenses in baseball behind that potentially great staff because every starter is a negative defensively. So the chances of that staff playing to it's ability is pretty slim.

They traded a top 10 overall prospect and a possible top 50 guy for the right to be saddled with Robinson Cano's contract through 2023 (and Cano looks like he's carrying around all that money defensively) and a closer. Oh, that was done in an attempt to replace the guy that currently 2nd in MLB in hitting (Jeff McNeil) who is playing so well they had to move him LF to get his bat in the lineup which puts Dom Smith on the bench with an OPS over .850. Neither one can actually play left field, but both are a hell of a lot better than a 36 year old Cano.

So with Stroman now they continue to gut the farm system and instead of having a relatively young team with a top 10 farm system they're gutted the farm system and are 5 games under with 6 teams ahead of them for the wild card.

I'm sure everything will be fine though, because they figured out how to outsmart the draft. (google it. It's on deadspin and I'm not going to break the thread again)

Last edited by Atocep : 07-28-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:57 AM   #450
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I did a double take too and we'll see what they do in the next 3 days, but I think it's a good move for the Mets, especially if they can flip upcoming UFA Wheeler for a similar return. They traded two solid but unspectacular prospects for an All-Star pitcher with another year of team control. Sounds like Toronto and Stroman had no interest in a long-term extension https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej...e-divorce.html , but with his Long Island roots maybe the Mets think they can get him to sign a reasonable extension too.

Now, he is a heavy ground ball pitcher & the Mets have the worst IF defense in MLB, plus an outspoken player unafraid to call out poor management could be an interesting fit on a Wilpon/Van Wagenen team, but I think on paper the Mets win the deal.

Sounds like the Red Sox will unsurprisingly be targeting a reliever, and Diaz/Giles are the two most frequently mentioned. Despite a bad farm system in the upper levels on aggregate, we do have one pretty good trade chip in 3B Bobby Dalbec, who's blocked by both Devers & Chavis, so if he's the headliner fine it is what it is.