Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
joker7702
n00b

Learning the Game

I have done a couple of simulations where I have bumbled through the game. Does anybody know how I can get better at this game, what I should focus on. I really struggle with game planning, game calling, understanding ratings both player and coach, and making good trades.

joker7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
triplykely
Mascot

It can be tricky as such a small game, there isn't the wealth of organized community info you find with other games. Your best bet is to check out some of the recent videos with some long time and successful MP coaches (this goes through the stages and Squirrel's channel has other great conversations, although some of it will probably be high level for a new player).

As for player ratings, which are talked about in those videos a lot (in various contexts) there is good info in the help file for each rating and what it does. I don't think I'm stepping out by saying that Hole Recognition for RBs and Route Running for WRs/TEs are key ratings in relation to production/efficiency. There are other key ratings for other positions but HR and RR seem like a gate behind which all other ratings are locked - a low RR WR with high other ratings will still have a bad YPT average in comparison to a high RR WR with average (or even low) ratings. Also discussed in the videos on drafting are static bars which are helpful when drafting and picking up UDFAs before training camp.

Trades are pretty good, in that it is difficult to rip off the AI for early picks - if you want the 1.1 pick and you're late in the draft you will need to shell out at least 2 1sts and most likely a 2nd +. Generally my strategy, and this is purely subjective and against the AI (for MP there's much more to it), when offered a 1st from the AI strongly think about your team's identity and if you need the stud player they're trying to acquire. Is the 88 freak DE great to have on your roster? Yes. Does the cheaper, all around average but fairly strong pass rush 56 DE do the trick for a year? If you really need a QB, LT, WR, CB than another 1st is huge. I use that example because I recently got the 1.3 pick for a backup DE I drafted in the 5th. In the Bluebook you can check Roster value, if the team presenting the trade has a poor roster you need a really good reason not to take the trade.

One reason you wouldn't take the trade is the cap hit. Generally speaking I only trade players in the last year and during FA I look for who I have that I may want to trade. Generally speaking for most positions a 50ish OVR rated player will be wanted by at least 1 AI team. The worst you will probably get is a 5th and 7th but I have occasionally seen worse. For pretty skilled players (and why drafting is key - my strategy is based heavily on drafting players late I won't need so I can trade them for picks) you can normally get a 2nd or 3rd and/or 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, on top. You can play around with what picks you're offering and get feedback. The more trades you play with the better you'll understand the feedback. Don't back out after a trade is accepted so make sure to ask for more than you think you can get if you aren't sure. If you do what I do every year you have 10+ picks, FOF follows the Jimmy Johnson draft pick value chart so you can use that to put together draft pick for draft pick trades (a bunch on Google but here's one).

Regarding playbooks, this is for v8.2 and the latest version is 8.3, but the concepts here apply. Keep in mind, as stated in the post, the goal of that thread is to emulate a real NFL team. What you can do with that knowledge is come up with how you would want an NFL to run and craft a playbook that targets your flankers X% of the time with Y% being screens, Z% being short, etc. I wrote a big post that isn't based on data analysis just an absurd number of SP games, many just in a testing environment, to come to this general way of thinking. Again, as I wrote in that post, I only play SP, and can't recommend the videos I linked above from Squirrel's YT channel enough. The only thing I can point to is a very high rate of success in SP, both with wins and stats/efficiency.

Hope any of that helps and if you have a specific question I can try to provide some clarity or perspective from a guy who's played 100s of SP seasons.

Edit: If you're looking to get in MP then I'd add those forums as a great resource and those coaches as well. My perspective is based on SP and while a lot of it works for my goals as a solo player some isn't for MP.

Last edited by triplykely : 01-18-2021 at 01:46 PM.
triplykely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
Dreghorn2
n00b

That was nice of you to take the time to write up a post and provide links.

Good on you man.
Dreghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:40 PM   #4
claystone
H.S. Freshman Team

Some helpful videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6wBvFYR8aw
FOF stage-by-stage with Ben and Quik - YouTube
Round 2 with Ben and Quik going stage-by-stage - YouTube

claystone is offline   Reply With Quote