Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
redfox000
Mascot

Stat Nerds

I am wondering if there are any other stat nerds out there. I have tool I created that generates an excel spreadsheet that lists out the historic standings for a given league, putting each team on a single row with the column headers being the year. The record is shown, along with if the team won the division, made the wild card, or won or lost the super bowl.

For me it is more fun to look over that and see the history of the teams than the way FOF outputs it. I am planning on expanding this much more with the stat leaders and history, but putting it all into an excel file with tabs is more fun for me.

If anyone is interested I can provide a link to the utility. If not I'll just save it and use it for myself

redfox000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Some interesting dataviz of this sort on the IHOF webpage, hats off to Ben E Lou who is also flattered by the content there.

http://www.fof-ihof.com/leaguehistory.php

It takes logo familiarity for full effect, and this is a league with fictional teams/logos so that's a thing if you're not... but the second section here is an awfully efficient way to show a lot of stuff, imo.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:04 PM   #3
redfox000
Mascot

If anyone is interested, this is what it looks like...so far:

FOFHistory.xlsx

Last edited by redfox000 : 02-13-2022 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Looks pretty clean.

Open question... we know each season has 16 games. Two ties is very unusual. Would there be much loss to merely showing a single value for each team cell? frex, 9 conveys the same information as 9-7-0 just more efficiently.

And as a side note, the one piece of information that seems useful for use of something like a "power rating" is whether the team earned a bye week. With that, any takeaway from the postseason results would have a more complete view.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:31 AM   #5
redfox000
Mascot

Yes those could be added. Still have a lot I want to add but I can put that on the list. For now one could determine who got the bye by looking at the playoff results since the division round home teams would have had the bye but I can add that as well.

Last edited by redfox000 : 02-14-2022 at 07:32 AM.