Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #1701
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Stetson Bennett and Lamar Jackson share the same birth year.

That truly is an amazing fact. And, Lamar Jackson won the Heisman in 2016 and Bennett is a finalist in 2022. Sounds like a bug or something we would be asking Jim to check on.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:22 AM   #1702
cuervo72
Head Coach

Chris Weinke was like, twice as old as Lamar Jackson was when they both won the Heisman.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #1703
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like Jeff Brohm is heading to Louisville.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:28 PM   #1704
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

2019 was the first year in decades that the Heisman winner (Burrow) was older than the NFL MVP (Jackson)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:40 PM   #1705
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

NCAA reportedly granting an entire year of eligibility to UVA players that were on the roster when players were killed.

Inexplicable and indefensible afaic. They played 10 games (poorly), they are far from the first to have teammates die during a season, but somehow an entire extra year (on top of the six the majority already have) is warranted? GTFO.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #1706
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
NCAA reportedly granting an entire year of eligibility to UVA players that were on the roster when players were killed.

Inexplicable and indefensible afaic. They played 10 games (poorly), they are far from the first to have teammates die during a season, but somehow an entire extra year (on top of the six the majority already have) is warranted? GTFO.

It's a nice gesture, but doesn't really make any sense as far as adding additional football eligibility. It would be nice for the university to help provide grief and mental health services (which I assume they already have built into their program - most college sports programs do) and perhaps honor scholarships to increase the likelihood that players potentially affected by the trauma have a better chance of graduating. This just sounds like a misguided attempt at good PR by the NCAA.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:11 PM   #1707
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I feel bad for the seniors who didn't get a proper senior night, but I agree, this is a preposterous outcome. You gonna give a free semester of tuition to a science major who has a classmate die and they miss the last 2 weeks of school? That's essentially what they did here.

Back in April, about 2/3s of the way through the softball season, the catcher for James Madison committed suicide and they canceled the rest of their season. I didn't hear about the NCAA granting additional eligibility to those women.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:12 PM   #1708
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

That should reopen the recruiting for anyone thought to be a commit for next September.

And if they can take it with them, add some value to their players considering the portal. Basically, it's open season on anyone associated with the program.

This transition into a professional sport is quite strange. A CBA seems like a necessity in the near future. The only way to sort this out is multi-year contracts and enough pay to keep organized gambling out of the locker rooms. The sport needs stability.

Michigan has lost both its starting quarterback from last season and top tight end to Iowa. They've gained an experienced and quite talented offensive guard from Arizona State. Basically, at a time when the program should be celebrating its first 13-0 start and a second straight playoff appearance, there's nothing but turmoil.

The flip side of all these transfers is that the younger players who have put in their time, red-shirted, worked their way up the depth chart, can have all of that upended just as they finally reach the starting lineup. That can't be fun.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:22 PM   #1709
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

That is really weird. It's unfortunate but players do die on teams. And it appears that the team did play 10 games. Very weird precedence to set.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:30 PM   #1710
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Let's hope Marvin Harrison doesn't want his son to have another year of eligibility.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:51 PM   #1711
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Problem is knowing what to do with talent when he actually has to face talent.

They signed Mike Zimmer today to run the defense who will be better than most college-level coordinators. Not sure if they have someone on offense yet.

Seems the strategy is Deion will bring in the talent and he'll surround himself with good coaches to do the rest. I know it's FCS, but that Jackson State team was kicking the shit out of everyone at that level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Do the kids these days with their rock-and-roll and MTV really care about Deion Sanders?

Deion is still incredibly popular among young football players. I think Travis Hunter even spoke about how important it was for him to play for Deion.

I don't think they'll recruit at the level of some major SEC programs, but they should be ahead of most of what's left in the Pac-12 (or whatever it's going to be called).
Old 12-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #1712
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not sure if they have someone on offense yet.

I think they hired some guy from Kent State (if I'm remembering correctly)
Old 12-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #1713
Ksyrup

The 5 star RB who committed to Louisville a few months back decommitted today.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #1714
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I think they hired some guy from Kent State (if I'm remembering correctly)

Sean Lewis it seems. He was the head coach at Kent State and a Dino Babers disciple (I follow Eastern Illinois football and remember him as a WR coach years back).

They had a slightly down year this season but he's turned their offense into a juggernaut. Very young, smart guy. Runs an offense similar to Baylor under Art Briles.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:22 PM   #1715
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Jackson State is hardly FCS. They have just been whooping on HBCUs.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #1716
Ksyrup

CUSA newcomer of the year... is already in the portal.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-07-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:40 PM   #1717
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

The story I read said that Virginia initiated and submitted the request. I wonder if this was a case of the reason it never approved before is because no one had ever initiated and submitted the request. It would have never occurred to me to make such a request. I don't have a big issue with it. The NCAA deciding who's circumstances are bad enough for an extra year or two of eligibility have always been random imo.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:42 PM   #1718
Ksyrup

This looks like a normal transfer portal announcement until a few lines from the end...

Old 12-07-2022, 11:13 PM   #1719
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I was curious about putting some specific numbers to the discussion a while back about the likelihood of certain outcomes. Best sample set I could find was that going back to 1980 - it appears to not have changed perceptibly over time - underdogs win more than 23% of the time in regular-season games (36% in bowls). But just looking at the underdog numbers, that includes some close calls but also obviously a lot of blowouts and predicted blowouts.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 12-07-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:52 AM   #1720
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They signed Mike Zimmer today to run the defense who will be better than most college-level coordinators. Not sure if they have someone on offense yet.

Maybe not?

Alabama's Charles Kelly joins Colorado as defensive coordinator
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-08-2022, 05:33 AM   #1721
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
CUSA newcomer of the year... is already in the portal.

ND has apparently already contacted Devin Leary & the other good transfer QB in the portal, but the rumor mill is also making it seem like Drake Maye is a real possibility...

This really will be an insane year between all the misevaluations due to Covid cancelling HS football/camps and all the NIL $$$ flowing around.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:24 AM   #1722
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
This looks like a normal transfer portal announcement until a few lines from the end...
That's the way to middle finger a coach on the way out. Probably not going to endear him to scouts on the next level.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:33 AM   #1723
Ksyrup

Drake Maye reiterated he was staying at UNC last night. I assume given all of the rumors floating around. Obviously he can still leave but there'd be no reason to publicly say you're staying if you're still considering leaving.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:39 AM   #1724
Edward64
Head Coach

I read the headlines and panicked. Thought SC was going after our OC Kendal Briles. We can do better than DC Odom but would be hurting if we lost Briles.

Quote:
South Carolina zeroing in on Arkansas assistant for vacant OC job, per report

South Carolina lost Marcus Satterfield to Nebraska last week, launching a search for a new offensive coordinator in Columbia.

According to 247Sports, their search may be nearing an end. Dowell Loggains, a longtime coaching veteran and Arkansas tight ends coach, is reportedly South Carolina’s target.

Loggains has been with the Razorbacks for 2 seasons.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-08-2022 at 09:40 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #1725
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
UTSA got a huge boost on Wednesday when star quarterback Frank Harris announced he would return for his seventh season after securing a new NIL deal.

Harris, the greatest player in UTSA history, holds 34 school records. On Friday, he threw for 341 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Roadrunners to their second straight Conference USA championship.
Quote:
Harris redshirted in his first season in 2017, missed all of 2018 with an injury then was limited to four games the next season after suffering another season-ending injury. After both the redshirt and medical redshirts, he is eligible for a seventh season due to the COVID waiver granted to players by the NCAA. He is responsible for more than 10,000 yards of total offense at UTSA.
Bring to question, how are record books handling the additional Covid year? Do they count with an asterisk?

Quote:
amassing 9,158 career passing yards and 73 touchdowns, plus 1,808 rushing yards and 24 scores.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #1726
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There are going to be college players old enough to collect university pensions by the time they leave
Old 12-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #1727
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Bring to question, how are record books handling the additional Covid year? Do they count with an asterisk?

Not that I've seen. They're valid records based on eligibility. In other sports, I've seen schools tout players who have broken certain counting records without reference to the extra year.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #1728
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I know there's no connection, but it would be pretty cool if when Coach Prime sets up shop in Boulder, he had a Star Trek transporter room set built. Then he could make portal announcements from that set, with players suddenly revealed on stage.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:41 AM   #1729
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
There are going to be college players old enough to collect university pensions by the time they leave

We already have "professional" college football players. Might as well have guys stay around as long as they want provided they follow all the college rules. Tim Tebow might still be starting for the Gators.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #1730
Ksyrup

Jason Garrett at Stanford is interesting. Sounds like it might very well happen.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:14 PM   #1731
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Jason Garrett at Stanford is interesting. Sounds like it might very well happen.

I saw this and wondered if he had any eligibility left before I realized you were probably talking about him becoming the head coach.

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-08-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:30 PM   #1732
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
UTSA got a huge boost on Wednesday when star quarterback Frank Harris announced he would return for his seventh season after securing a new NIL deal.

Harris, the greatest player in UTSA history, holds 34 school records. On Friday, he threw for 341 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Roadrunners to their second straight Conference USA championship.
LoL "greatest player in UTSA history"... he's been around campus longer than the program existed before he got there!
Old 12-08-2022, 08:56 PM   #1733
Edward64
Head Coach

You prompted me to look it up. You're right!
Old 12-09-2022, 08:11 AM   #1734
Ksyrup

This is interesting.

Old 12-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #1735
Ksyrup

Sounds like Liam Coen, who left the Rams to be UKs OC last year and really is responsible for the Will Levis hype, then went back to the Rams this year as OC after the former OC took the Vikings job, is headed back to UK to reclaim the OC job.

Good deal for UK.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:41 AM   #1736
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is interesting.
Sources: Ten schools have come to an agreement to form a new football-only conference with the stated goal of moving from FCS to FBS “at the earliest practicable date.” Atlantic Sun, WAC teams pairing up to attempt move to FBS, sources say
— Pete Thamel (@PeteThamel) December 9, 2022

I'm not quite sure what the 4D chess is on this, but maybe it's the "we want an off chance of having one of our teams run the table and be the #6 playoff league winner" - that would a big payoff for schools like that. Maybe some are trying to position for when the PAC gets raided and that opens up spots in the Mountain West?

Also, SEC ADs are writing those school names down so they can schedule 3 straight buy home games against them and they don't have to get the FCS waiver now.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #1737
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the odds are nonsense right now for the playoffs. Nonsense. TCU deserves way more respect than they are getting, and Ohio State has almost as good of odds of winning the title as Michigan even though they have Georgia first round, as if TCU doesn't exist and is just an afterthought?

Even if Michigan beat them 80-0 (they won't), this will still clearly be off base IMO. Normally I think the lines are 'eh, maybe a little off, but close'. In this case it's just nuts I think.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #1738
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm not quite sure what the 4D chess is on this, but maybe it's the "we want an off chance of having one of our teams run the table and be the #6 playoff league winner" - that would a big payoff for schools like that. Maybe some are trying to position for when the PAC gets raided and that opens up spots in the Mountain West?

Also, SEC ADs are writing those school names down so they can schedule 3 straight buy home games against them and they don't have to get the FCS waiver now.

SI
Doubt they have delusions of winning P5 (maybe 1-2 individual schools think they can pull a Boise). But to use UMass as an example we make a ton more money as a doormat in FBS than we did as an FCS title contender. Spend more too, and it sucks being terrible, but money wise it's been the right call.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:06 PM   #1739
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's just about getting a TV contract. Even the smaller conferences in FBS are getting money these days.

It's funny because I was about to make the argument that the MAC should move down to FCS.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:36 PM   #1740
Edward64
Head Coach

If true, I’m going to hate playing against Bobby Petrino’s offense with all that talent at A&M

Also Hogs looking at GA DL coach Tray Scott to place Odom
Old 12-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #1741
Atocep
Coordinator

Mike Leach rushed to the hospital today and according to the MSU "insiders" it's "extremely serious".
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:57 PM   #1742
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Looks like he was airlifted out of his home after a heart issue. There are rumors that his brain was without oxygen for a prolonged period of time. It really doesn't sound good.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #1743
Ksyrup

I did see something about a delay in getting the helicopter out due to weather. Damn.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:57 PM   #1744
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal QB Grayson McCall enters the transfer portal for his senior year. Damn. Expected really with the change in head coach and having NFL potential, but Coastal could be pretty terrible next season.

Also backup QB Carpenter, was suspended after being arrested yesterday for assault on a women.

https://twitter.com/McCall_Grayson/s...90112171589659

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-12-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #1745
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A greet Mike Leach story:

Quote:
With that being said, I can’t stop thinking about this hilarious story told by current USC head coach Lincoln Riley.

Leach hired Riley onto his staff at Texas Tech when he was only 23-years-old, taking a gamble on a young guy with little to no experience coaching.

Riley shared a story to The Players’ Tribune back in 2017, one of his best memories working with Leach at Texas Tech.

The story is about a phone conversation Riley overheard between Leach and somebody:

“He picked it up and said, ‘Hey, how’s it going?’ And then he listened for a second and asked, ‘Where ya calling from?’

He kept talking on the phone and I eventually sort of tuned out. Now, a short phone conversation for Coach Leach is an hour.

So he was talking about this and that, and I was kind of hunkered down working on my own stuff. At some point, the call got dropped. They must have lost reception. Coach said, “Can you hear me? Are you there?”

Then he closed his old-school flip phone, swung it back open and redialed. He said, ‘Hey, sorry I lost you.’ And then they resumed their conversation for another 30 minutes or so before Coach finally hung up.

After he was done, we started talking and I said, ‘Hey Coach, who was that on the phone?’

And he said, ‘Oh, they had the wrong number.'”
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #1746
Ksyrup

I read that he's in hospice care, sounds like he's brain dead.

If you have access to the Athletic, definitely read (or re-read, as I did) the Washington State QB room oral history from 2019. It's freaking hilarious.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-12-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:15 AM   #1747
Ksyrup

Unfortunately, Leach has died. RIP.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:20 AM   #1748
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man. That hurts. Loved that guy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #1749
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

RIP.

In the nasty business of CFB, there are very few people that everyone agrees are completely wonderful human beings. Leach was one of those guys. Not only was every story positive. Every story had the teller going out of his way to point out just how wonderful he was.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:25 AM   #1750
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hits me hard, guy was one of the good ones in the coaching profession, the best way to sum him up is real! And trust, that is not as common a commodity in the coaching world as you would think. Keep swinging that sword coach! R.I.P
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote