Home

Rugby League, the " shoulder Barge Tackle " got outlawed today...any thoughts ???

This is a discussion on Rugby League, the " shoulder Barge Tackle " got outlawed today...any thoughts ??? within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Rookie

ice2modern's Arena

OVR: 3
Rugby League, the " shoulder Barge Tackle " got outlawed today...any thoughts ???

yeah , rugby league's infamous " Shoulder barge Tackle " got outlawed today...
what do u guys think about this new ruling ???
the spectacle that is " Rugby League " has more than enough visual action going 4 it for this " outlawed" ruling to affect it too much, but i guess time will tell .
MLB : The Boston Red Sox
NFL : The Miami Dolphins
ITM Cup : Auckland
NHL : LA Kings
SUPER RUGBY : Blues
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Rugby League, the " shoulder Barge Tackle " got outlawed today...any thoughts ???

Nice to see someone else who isn't whining about how this is the demise of League and it's turning into Union and blah blah blah.

I agree completely, League has more than enough going for it, shoulder charges occurred very rarely, and most of the ones that stand out do so because it leaves some poor bloke with his brain scrambled.

When the season starts, I expect we'll see pretty quickly that League is still an amazing and entertaining sport. There's still going to be plenty of huge hits I am sure.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Rookie

ice2modern's Arena

Re: Rugby League, the " shoulder Barge Tackle " got outlawed today...any thoughts ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck3
Nice to see someone else who isn't whining about how this is the demise of League and it's turning into Union and blah blah blah.

I agree completely, League has more than enough going for it, shoulder charges occurred very rarely, and most of the ones that stand out do so because it leaves some poor bloke with his brain scrambled.

When the season starts, I expect we'll see pretty quickly that League is still an amazing and entertaining sport. There's still going to be plenty of huge hits I am sure.
true that bro .
MLB : The Boston Red Sox
NFL : The Miami Dolphins
ITM Cup : Auckland
NHL : LA Kings
SUPER RUGBY : Blues
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Not really a fan of the rule change and it's only a matter of time before it changes here in the UK. I completely understand why the change has happened though.

I do think it will take away from the game a little bit more than the both have you have said however. For example, if you YouTube RL big hits, the majority are from shoulder charges and I've nowhere near enough fingers to count the amount of times a game has changed because of a big hit on defense.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
Rookie

Considering the review they did on shoulder charges found that shoulder charges made up 0.05% of the 142,355 tackles made in 2012, it's hard to suggest that their removal will have much of an impact. If you removed the shoulder charges that went beyond the rules of the game at the time, then you'd have even less than 0.05%.

There's still going to be big hits on defense, you can't have a competition loaded with 110, 20, 30kg Samoans and Tongans running straight into each other without big hits occurring. Beyond that, in terms of changing a game, the shoulder charge is actually a very low percentage play, you're more likely to change a game defensively by delivering a big, reliable regular tackle rather than trying to drop the shoulder on someone.

Last edited by YoungBuck3; 12-02-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Rookie

I do understand what you mean. There's been no RL for about 2 months, I'm probably exaggerating!

I was going to mention your last point but figured I was just massively contradicting myself! I'd give a gang tackle forcing the ball carrier back as a point for changing momentum, but I'm pretty sure the NRL had a discussion about banning that too?

You can probably tell I'm more a fan of defense than attack!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Rookie

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to miss the shoulder charge as much as anyone, I'm a Warriors fan (Auckland, not Wigan )and we had one of the best shoulders in the game in Matulino.

The writing has been on the wall for a long time though so I've long been resigned to the fact that it was going to get banned.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
Rookie

It'll be interesting to see if it is enforced in the UK. A lot of the players on twitter don't like the decision whatsoever although we've still got it, for now!

I'm a Rhinos fan (got to love being born in Leeds!!) so I normally see other teams' players try to do it to us a lot more than we do it. The biggest question I've got at the moment is for the World Cup, will the shoulder charge be allowed? At the moment I'm pretty sure it is, but there's different sets of rules for different competitions (which is completely stupid).

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »