Home

Rugby League Live 4 is a Solid Effort That Probably Needs a Lower Price

This is a discussion on Rugby League Live 4 is a Solid Effort That Probably Needs a Lower Price within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Rugby League Live 4 is a Solid Effort That Probably Needs a Lower Price

Big Ant Studios is no stranger to the world of rugby. With their fourth iteration of...

Written By: Kevin Groves

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by bronco92; 08-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15
It really needs a better price point, but it is stuck in limbo. *I didn't get a chance to play RLL3 (too pricey) but 2 was a good effort. *It was not perfect, but it was a solid foundation. *The problem with price is this: *Where do you lose money? *League is a niche of a niche sport, so you're either stuck hoping someone sees it for 30 bucks and picks it up or you get 60 bucks out of the hardcore fans.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:07 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 33
I'm yet to get this game. I owned RL3 which was a pretty enjoyable game. The reviews on RL4 seem mixed. Some are, like this one, positive. Others seem to say the game is a step back from RL3. I think the one fact that is agreed upon * Is the price point.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2
Not sure if many realise but in many countries Rugby League isn't a niche sport.*

In New Zealand, Australia and England its many peoples number 1 sport and in many countries NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL are niche sports.

This game wasn't made and isn't marketed with the American market in mind.

Same as a criket game wouldn't be. Why should a game maker give it a cheap price point to sell in America and lose money in its key markets

Even at half the price it wouldn't sell well in the states.

For the record with Rugby league fans that live and breathe the sport the Live franchise has a good reputation.

Where as the Union offering "Rugby Challenge" doesn't so much.

worldwide Rugby is a massive sport. It's why Xbox one/ps4 has four different options!*

Rugby 15, Rugby World Cup, Rugby Challenge and the two offerings in the Rugby league live series*
Old 08-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
All Star

Stormyhog's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Rugby League Live 4 is a Solid Effort That Probably Needs a Lower Price

Yep go to New Zealand it's all about the All-Blacks & in Australia it's the Wallabies & it's league teams. Basically RLL4 in Australia is the equivalent of Madden in north america in terms of popularity. I'm new to Rugby League but have learned about it pretty quickly. Niche games to me are titles like horse racing, fishing & hunting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy
Not sure if many realise but in many countries Rugby League isn't a niche sport.*

In New Zealand, Australia and England its many peoples number 1 sport and in many countries NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL are niche sports.

This game wasn't made and isn't marketed with the American market in mind.

Same as a criket game wouldn't be. Why should a game maker give it a cheap price point to sell in America and lose money in its key markets

Even at half the price it wouldn't sell well in the states.

For the record with Rugby league fans that live and breathe the sport the Live franchise has a good reputation.

Where as the Union offering "Rugby Challenge" doesn't so much.

worldwide Rugby is a massive sport. It's why Xbox one/ps4 has four different options!*

Rugby 15, Rugby World Cup, Rugby Challenge and the two offerings in the Rugby league live series*
The difference is that the international following for the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL are much bigger than it is for Rugby outside of those few countries you mentioned.

Look, being considered "niche" isn't a slight to the sport at all. Most sports have to grow to reach a higher international profile. I'm just a believer that this game would/will have a hard time attracting new fans of the sport with a $60 price point.

Hell, I enjoy the game and I will probably fire it up in a few minutes.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2
I think you under estimate the appeal of a sport that has a proper World Cup, in France, Italy, Agentina, South Africa, Ireland, Japan, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji (I could continue but you get the idea)... these counties Rugby is a bigger draw than any of the American sports\leagues.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:27 AM   #8
Just started!

OVR: 0

Do you guys realise that they can set specific price points for each market? Why not sell it at a budget price in emerging markets to try and develop the game and the code in general?

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »