Home

Jon Robinson- 2K Legends game is coming

This is a discussion on Jon Robinson- 2K Legends game is coming within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #57
All Star

OVR: 35
Re: Jon Robinson- 2K Legends game is coming

I hope 2k is just using the Legends as a gimmick to bring in casual football gamers, maybe by putting Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, etc. on the cover and then incorporating them into the game on a Legends team or something like that. I'm hoping that they create rosters based on the real ones, but that they are totally customizable. It would also be nice if they have the broadcast duo record names of NFL players so that they won't just say "WR No. 81" (though this might violated the licensing agreement).
Another feature that would be great would be something similar to the Madden Locker where you can share rosters and settings with other gamers on Xbox Live, rather than having to get Action Replay. 2k should do everything it can to utilize the 2k5 fan base that's still out there updating for it to make its new game marketable to casual football fans.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #58
Pro

OVR: 4

Lots of questions, no real answers at this point. It is nice to see some excitment back on these and the 2K forums though. I know there won't be EVERY custom option that people can dream up, but this would be a NEW type of football game.

Think about it. I'd love to be able to recreate the USFL, the CFL, or even the Blitz The League teams -if I want to. Or classic NFL teams along with a version of the current ones. I'd like to try my hand at an alternate history NFL league (Miami Hammerheads, etc) just for fun.

This kind of game could keep me busy for well more than a year, though I'd be willing to buy any updated version that offered even more custom options.

You know, that PFL league Blue-Lightning was building wouldn't be a bad default league for a custom game....
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #59
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
New Flash.. average gamers don't visit messageboards
Actually that's not true.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 12-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #60
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhauertjs
I hope 2k is just using the Legends as a gimmick to bring in casual football gamers, maybe by putting Dan Marino, Barry Sanders, etc. on the cover and then incorporating them into the game on a Legends team or something like that. I'm hoping that they create rosters based on the real ones, but that they are totally customizable.
That's a pretty good idea. Have one team (or a few) composed of all legends, and the other teams loosely based off real teams - or at least have the players based off real NFL players both past and present (since EA has exclusivity on some of the legends now lol). I'd love to see what they could do on a next gen console recreating a Michael Vick-type, a Shawn Merriman-type, etc.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCdolphin
Lots of questions, no real answers at this point. It is nice to see some excitment back on these and the 2K forums though. I know there won't be EVERY custom option that people can dream up, but this would be a NEW type of football game.

Think about it. I'd love to be able to recreate the USFL, the CFL, or even the Blitz The League teams -if I want to. Or classic NFL teams along with a version of the current ones. I'd like to try my hand at an alternate history NFL league (Miami Hammerheads, etc) just for fun.
Some of the creations guys came up with were amazing; would be nice to see them incorporated into a potential game if possible - I think cool uniforms and logos would be key to getting casual people interested. For me personally the exciting things would be from a gameplay potential standpoint. I loved where they were headed with the DB/WR interaction, some of the tackle elements that could've been implemented (ability to choose low/high tackle; already had the option to choose wrap tackles or hits), and the massive potential for first-person football - although I'd hope they'd give the option for more of a third person perspective rather than just true first person. 2K5 had a lot of great ideas that were never fully realized, and surprisingly Tiburon never hinted at w/Madden or NCAA. Yeah, there's a lot to be excited about if they choose to come out with a game - although I'd think it's still a huge uphill battle given the restrictions/roadblocks EA has set up.

But if they pull it off...

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 12-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #61
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
Because "Legends" would appeal to a wider audience.
Do they? Honestly?

I can't even remember caring for 2 seconds about the ones they had in Madden 07.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #62
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Which means WHAT, exactly? That the average gamer can't play and decide if they like Madden themselves? That they have no opinion about missing features they enjoyed on the old gen consoles?
Of course they can but no they don't. It's a stretch getting many to buy anything besides Madden. Even if they decide to test the waters all their friends just get madden and that's who they have to be good enough to beat so they get madden anyway. Now we're talking about a game that's not NFL ready out of the box. Playing as their team with the players they know is important to many casual gamers.

Quote:
Does Mr. Robinson have such influence, that they'll adopt HIS opinion... once they are exposed to it online? Is that what you meant?
Funny comment considering this entire thread is based off one statement that this guy made. He didn't back it up with any facts... barely with even anything to validate his opinion but people are talking as if the game will be on the shelves in a week. In this case I'd say the "hardcore" are worse than the "casual" that don't even think about a game until they start seeing advertisements for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDolphin
BTW, I'd argue that the average gamer DOES get online, though how much they participate in forums and such is debatable. I don't know of any teenagers that don't have access to the internet, but maybe that's just me?
Having internet access means nothing. The internet's a pretty large hole of resources and having access shouldn't lead to the assumption that it's used to research this stuff... or even the depth of the research. I mean honestly, some here believe IGN is a credible source simply b/c its mainstream. Many that really dive into these things knows that IGN should hardly be given such a pass especially with sports games, and especially with non-EA sports games. I'm honestly amazed that so many people are running with this. What you'd read at OS is more credible IMO and they have access to the same resources in terms of sports games, however no one here has claimed with such certainty that this game is coming out and at the turn of the new year... there's a reason for that.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 16

Just to let you guys know. Jon Robinson is the sports guy at IGN.He always gives weekly Madden updates and previews.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:15 AM   #64
Rookie

vegaas's Arena

OVR: 5

I have to say that I havent read this entire thread, so if this has been said I apologize.

What I have noticed that no one in the first three pages pointed out was the statement in the article about the sales numbers for Blitz:The League. This is what gives me hope, if VC sees that a non licensed game is selling well, that may well have been the incentive they needed to move forward with their own unlicensed game.

Fingers crossed.

PS. I just finished reading the rest of the thread. Here is another theory. Someone posted that the author of the article has not always been kind to 2k fans. Could he just be taunting us with this article. Could he just be making it up to get 2k fans all excited while he laughs at his pratical joke? I hope not, but something to consider.

Last edited by vegaas; 12-12-2006 at 02:26 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »