Home

Why we love 2K is the problem with 2K

This is a discussion on Why we love 2K is the problem with 2K within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #9
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Why we love 2K is the problem with 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
Yes, but you had a sense with 2K5 that it was going somewhere. 2 years on the 360, do you think Madden has done anything to lead us to believe they are doing ground-breaking things?

No, there isn't a perfect game, but there are games that properly represent the sport.
I'm in complete agreement with you. I was just responding to the OP who was saying that a follow-up game wouldn't sell as well if this one was terrific. As many problems as 2k5 had with certain aspects in it (i.e. freezes, franchise A.I., db play etc), it no doubt was the closest representation of a football game to that point and even since then.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I think that fans of 2k sports are a very loyal bunch, and I think that a LARGE majority of people who played and loved 2k5 realized it is far from perfect.

Even if this alleged game comes out and knocks our socks off, there will be a wishlist for the next game, because NO game is perfect and can always be improved.
Quoted for truth.

Madden sells every year since people want the current version of the NFL, with rookies and free agents. Any gameplay tweaks are just a bonus.

It's true that with a Legends game, 2K probably can't sell a new football game EVERY year. We can update the rosters ourselves. They'll need a pretty good list of new features, improved graphics, gameplay tweaks to convince most to move onto a new game.

They could follow the EA pattern of shutting down online play on the old game... but I don't think they would.

Two years between games would allow even a small development team to make major revisions. The release of each game would be more of an "event" too.

In fact, I'd say that a minority of gamers would NEVER go back to an NFL licensed game after playing and enjoying the freedoms of a custom one. I'd support any 2K football game by buying it, but I can see myself as one of those prefering my own version of the NFL and an "alternate" league.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCdolphin
Quoted for truth.

Madden sells every year since people want the current version of the NFL, with rookies and free agents. Any gameplay tweaks are just a bonus.

It's true that with a Legends game, 2K probably can't sell a new football game EVERY year. We can update the rosters ourselves. They'll need a pretty good list of new features, improved graphics, gameplay tweaks to convince most to move onto a new game.

They could follow the EA pattern of shutting down online play on the old game... but I don't think they would.

Two years between games would allow even a small development team to make major revisions. The release of each game would be more of an "event" too.

In fact, I'd say that a minority of gamers would NEVER go back to an NFL licensed game after playing and enjoying the freedoms of a custom one. I'd support any 2K football game by buying it, but I can see myself as one of those prefering my own version of the NFL and an "alternate" league.

Good dialogue. So my original question is how many of you (VC Dolphin) are out there - who would just take the base game and mod it to your heart's content?

I agree with the motivation for buying NFL2K through 2K5, and NFL '95 before that (how about Joe Montana Sports Talk Football. That s*** was revolutionary).

But back then, we didn't have the technology to essentially make a game completely modifiable. You could do rosters, sure, but you couldn't mod schedules, player photos and age, etc.

I for one would support the higher initial price tag, and then mod the game through patches and updated content that was downloadable. And maybe a complete overhaul every 3-4 years. That would be cool.

And, I apologize, I did not figure the value of online into my argument, because I'm pretty much a franchise player. Sorry about that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2006, 12:55 AM   #12
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I think that fans of 2k sports are a very loyal bunch, and I think that a LARGE majority of people who played and loved 2k5 realized it is far from perfect.

Even if this alleged game comes out and knocks our socks off, there will be a wishlist for the next game, because NO game is perfect and can always be improved.
There's a lot of people on here who think EA is the devil and 2k is perfect.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:58 AM   #13
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWRMETS
There's a lot of people on here who think EA is the devil and 2k is perfect.
Yes...we have a list of all 17 of them too.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:06 AM   #14
Banned

kutte's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Yes...we have a list of all 17 of them too.
Well you can *** my name to that list. I had to send my 360 to be replace, so i put in an old school madden then revisted 2k5 and i forgot how much more drama 2k5 had in the game. so know im playing 2k5 and i really can't go back to madden, because madden on 360 blows madd chunks!!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 03:04 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 10

I like 2K for its gameplay and the fact that you need to use REAL NFL strategy to win. Unlike other games where you can either run all game, pass all game or use any defense you want all game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2006, 04:03 AM   #16
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

I like 2k because everytime you see and play their games. They focus alot on realism and authentic feel to the game.

2k since the sega genesis and sega saturn....have always placed great efforts to their games. Gameplay was always a keep factor, as well as a realistic presentation.

You have to respect a company like that. And when they are overshadowed by a Corporate Mogul like EA, it does kind of hurt and make you love the underdog even more.

Because with less financial backing, they still have a bigger heart and greater efforts when it comes to their games. 2k football is what had me playing Football video games again. Since Tecmo Bowl and Joe Montana Sports Talk....

And if loving 2ksports and Visual Concepts is wrong, then I will never be right...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »