Home

Why we love 2K is the problem with 2K

This is a discussion on Why we love 2K is the problem with 2K within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Why we love 2K is the problem with 2K

OK, stick with me on this...

It's not a problem for us, the gaming public. It's a problem for the annual cycle sports game model. That model is predicated on getting you and I to pony up on yearly basis for the product. The justification is probably three-fold:

* Updated rosters
* Updated content (e.g unis, stadia)
* New and improved features and gameplay

It's that third item that really drives the model, primarily because the gaming community has been able to take care of item #1 through roster sharing. #2 is not a game-breaker for most of us (esp if #3 is tight).

So, as a result, here you have a board (one of several), dedicated to keeping 2k5 alive. It's a great game and we love it. And we love it because it has REPLAY VALUE.

But here's the $64,000 question: With the great gameplay, the tons of content (highlights from around the league, half-time post game shows, etc.), and products like Finn's editor:

How many of us would have bought "NFL2K6" if EA had not snatched up the exclusive?

A % of us would have, but not nearly the % that reup with EA every year in hopes that "this year they'll get it right." That's why EA's model has worked to this point. There is no $$ in EA making a game that has no flaws. There is no $$ in driving "replay value," because in 9 months EA needs you to buy another game. They don't want you to still be playing the old one.

I'm eager to hear what people think, because if it's true that 2K is going to make another game, how many will they be able to sell you? Would you buy 2K9, or 2K10?

If the answer is only one (because it will be everything you've always wanted), then, as a Take Two exec, I'd be a little uncomfortable. Either that, or I'd want to charge $149 for the game, because it would be the only one you ever bought from me. Or I might charge $50, and then make content available on XBL (updated rosters, stadiums, schedules, uniforms) for $5-10 a pop.

Unfortunately, it's the only way to make it profitable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Why we love 2K is the problem with 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanasinkam
OK, stick with me on this...

It's not a problem for us, the gaming public. It's a problem for the annual cycle sports game model. That model is predicated on getting you and I to pony up on yearly basis for the product. The justification is probably three-fold:

* Updated rosters
* Updated content (e.g unis, stadia)
* New and improved features and gameplay

It's that third item that really drives the model, primarily because the gaming community has been able to take care of item #1 through roster sharing. #2 is not a game-breaker for most of us (esp if #3 is tight).

So, as a result, here you have a board (one of several), dedicated to keeping 2k5 alive. It's a great game and we love it. And we love it because it has REPLAY VALUE.

But here's the $64,000 question: With the great gameplay, the tons of content (highlights from around the league, half-time post game shows, etc.), and products like Finn's editor:

How many of us would have bought "NFL2K6" if EA had not snatched up the exclusive?

A % of us would have, but not nearly the % that reup with EA every year in hopes that "this year they'll get it right." That's why EA's model has worked to this point. There is no $$ in EA making a game that has no flaws. There is no $$ in driving "replay value," because in 9 months EA needs you to buy another game. They don't want you to still be playing the old one.

I'm eager to hear what people think, because if it's true that 2K is going to make another game, how many will they be able to sell you? Would you buy 2K9, or 2K10?

If the answer is only one (because it will be everything you've always wanted), then, as a Take Two exec, I'd be a little uncomfortable. Either that, or I'd want to charge $149 for the game, because it would be the only one you ever bought from me. Or I might charge $50, and then make content available on XBL (updated rosters, stadiums, schedules, uniforms) for $5-10 a pop.

Unfortunately, it's the only way to make it profitable.

The main reason why Madden sells is the name and stupid Madden challange where all the young kids go to spread cheese and hope they spread enough of it to win the Money!

you take away these two things and there is no way in hell Madden outsells any 2k football game.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

whats funny is the nfl players who play the game are the biggest cheesers themselves..

if they play that way why would they change the game?..

watching the madden players on tv play makes me want to slap them..they are all glitch exploiters..
Old 12-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
whats funny is the nfl players who play the game are the biggest cheesers themselves..

if they play that way why would they change the game?..

watching the madden players on tv play makes me want to slap them..they are all glitch exploiters..

Whats even more funny is all the NFL players kissing *** and saying how REAL(LMAO) the game looks compared to the real life NFL.

animations and all!

:y4:
Old 12-16-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

I think that fans of 2k sports are a very loyal bunch, and I think that a LARGE majority of people who played and loved 2k5 realized it is far from perfect.

Even if this alleged game comes out and knocks our socks off, there will be a wishlist for the next game, because NO game is perfect and can always be improved.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
Even if this alleged game comes out and knocks our socks off, there will be a wishlist for the next game, because NO game is perfect and can always be improved.
Theres the answer right there.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #7

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
Theres the answer right there.
Yes, but you had a sense with 2K5 that it was going somewhere. 2 years on the 360, do you think Madden has done anything to lead us to believe they are doing ground-breaking things?

No, there isn't a perfect game, but there are games that properly represent the sport.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I would have purchased NFL 2k6. Hell, we all would have, eventually, if it kept up the quality seen in 2k5.

That's why I bought ESPN NFL 2k5.

That's why I bought ESPN NFL Football 2k4.

That's why I bought NFL 2k3.

That's why I bought NFL '98 (after owning NFL '95).

So on, and so forth. What's in a name? The content has been better every single year of competition, in my opinion, because the underdog must always work harder than the top dog. And we all know EA has been top dog, financially, for a very long time.

The problem with 2k is not us. The problem with 2k is the rampant buddy-buddy exclusivity of the modern American market. When all competition is diluted by cliques and restraints, the result is unreliable product, in every walk of life.

2k's strength in the face of adversity, in this market, is extraordinary. I'm glad to see them surviving and battling EA on whatever even ground is left.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »