Home

IGN on 2K8

This is a discussion on IGN on 2K8 within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 01-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #73
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: IGN on 2K8

and for the record, I personally would chose C or D in your list... but there is a chance madden could improve enough to change my mind with it also. i'm not holding my breath bc of the history, but we're making a lot of assumptions on both of these games with nothing but hope to back it up.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #74

DaveDQ's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
long story short, there is a scenario where a football game without the nfl license doesn't appeal to me more than madden, even if made by VC. it's not likely but it's not out of the question. what everyone is expecting out of a VC game IS A LOT. everyone speaks under the assumption that it's not a matter of "if" but "when", however in my mind there is still a big question on how likely all of these things are included and how well they're implemented out of the gate. honestly, a VC game with the NFL license is a no brainer for me, but without it, there is definitely a question mark. like asianflow just said, I can't even begin to make a decision on a purchase until I've seen the game.
I love the NFL. I love the teams, the history and everything about it. That's why I bought Madden, and that's why I'm going to give it another shot this week. I want a game with the NFL in it.

What I struggle with is a game (Madden) with the NFL, but yet it is average. There is not a single feature in Madden that makes me say..I've got to have that. I honestly bought it this year because it's all there was.

Here we are now with the possibility of seeing a NFLless game in 2K Sports. Would I rather have the NFL with it? Of course. Would I give it a chance and go with it instead of another average NFL licensed Madden? Definately.

Love them or hate them, the Madden team has contiually left their consumers with something essential to be desired. Whether it be more online functionality, better framerate, proper player physics or more lively presentation each year there is an overall "hope" that they fix things.

It's because of that that 2K can release this game and me be interested.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #75
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

I just want to see what VC puts out. Even if it's a "generic" game, if the game play and options are tight, I will probably pick it up. But what I hope is that EA get their **** together, and put out something worthy of having the NFL license. Just look at what VC has done with MLB 2K7. Just by looking at those movies, it's plain to see that the game is heads above that piece of crap VC put out last year(MLB2K6). All it took was a little threat from MLB. I think VC is doing the right thing by bringing a game, because VC has got to be encouraged by what Blitz has done. I think WWhart's right in that people are looking for VC to make this game All World, with edits, re-mixes and everything in between. And people are really setting themselves up for a complete let down if these things don't happen. I think one really good thing that will come of this is that EA, which won't admit it, will now have some REAL comp.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #76
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
I'm going to wait for previews/reviews/impressions before deciding if I want to purchase a football game. If Madden addresses the AI Issues and blows out the ESPN presentation, than I would most likely buy Madden.
Gotcha. Thanks, just trying to see where you're coming from.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #77
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
my problem was that asianflow made a simple and honest statement that I think a lot of people agree with, but it seems that since it's not gungho with the idea of supporting anything VC decides to put out then he's the enemy. I don't think all the questions came from you but his first answer was that he wanted the whole package and then you posted that if he buys madden then he is siding with licensing over gameplay.

the us vs them mentality should be dead by now, but i guess it's not. i'm not a huge fan of madden for various reasons but there are legit reasons taht some people prefered it to 2k5 even when they were both released. more power to those folk. 2k5 wasn't perfect, just better for my style of play overall. considering that, it is possible that EA puts out a game that overall ends up being better for my style in the future. not likely but possible.

long story short, there is a scenario where a football game without the nfl license doesn't appeal to me more than madden, even if made by VC. it's not likely but it's not out of the question. what everyone is expecting out of a VC game IS A LOT. everyone speaks under the assumption that it's not a matter of "if" but "when", however in my mind there is still a big question on how likely all of these things are included and how well they're implemented out of the gate. honestly, a VC game with the NFL license is a no brainer for me, but without it, there is definitely a question mark. like asianflow just said, I can't even begin to make a decision on a purchase until I've seen the game.

i think a lot of people here are in that same boat even if they don't believe it, b/c i think they're going to be overly disappointed when the game isn't as "open source", bug-free and beautiful as they're assuming it will most definitely be.
It's not really the us vs them mentality, since I don't have anything against people liking Madden or anything. I mean, it is just a game. And if he did belong to one of the camps I'd say he would be w/ us since he enjoyed 2k5 so much. I just wanted to know where asianflow was coming from. It isn't too often you get the, "I love 2k5 but don't think I'd play the next 2k football game," mindset here in these forums. I mean if 2k made a football game I thought for sure that nearly everyone here would be the first in line to preorder it. And those that aren't going to buy the game right away will at least consider purchasing 2k after the reviews come out, not write it off even before anything's even been officially announced.

I do believe you are right about people getting their hopes up about the 2k game being the perfect football game, and I do understand that Madden could theoretically be a more solid product than a generic 2k game next year, but it just doesn't seem likely. I appreciate how you try to keep a very realistic and objective perspective on things, but I think a lot of us see reason to get really excited by any new 2k football game b/c VC has shown an ability in the past to make great strides w/ their titles, and anything building off of 2k5 has the potential to be phenomenal. Just as EA has shown in the past an ability to squander opportunities. I realize inductive reasoning never makes things 100% certain, but for some of us it is enough until 2k or EA proves differently.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #78
Rookie

OVR: 2

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6164995.html
Old 01-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #79
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
It's not really the us vs them mentality, since I don't have anything against people liking Madden or anything. I mean, it is just a game. And if he did belong to one of the camps I'd say he would be w/ us since he enjoyed 2k5 so much. I just wanted to know where asianflow was coming from. It isn't too often you get the, "I love 2k5 but don't think I'd play the next 2k football game," mindset here in these forums. I mean if 2k made a football game I thought for sure that nearly everyone here would be the first in line to preorder it. And those that aren't going to buy the game right away will at least consider purchasing 2k after the reviews come out, not write it off even before anything's even been officially announced.

I do believe you are right about people getting their hopes up about the 2k game being the perfect football game, and I do understand that Madden could theoretically be a more solid product than a generic 2k game next year, but it just doesn't seem likely. I appreciate how you try to keep a very realistic and objective perspective on things, but I think a lot of us see reason to get really excited by any new 2k football game b/c VC has shown an ability in the past to make great strides w/ their titles, and anything building off of 2k5 has the potential to be phenomenal. Just as EA has shown in the past an ability to squander opportunities. I realize inductive reasoning never makes things 100% certain, but for some of us it is enough until 2k or EA proves differently.
I feel you man. And it does appear that my comments are pretty much directed at you but they were actually just a reminder to the many people that are going a bit overboard. I think you, me and asianflow are all pretty close on how we feel about an upcoming (and now announced!) game. I'm just as excited as anyone, but still have to leave open the chance of it not being very good. I don't want to take the wind out of anyone's sail today of all days but look at the PS3. Too much hype.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »