Home

Success With APF2K8?

This is a discussion on Success With APF2K8? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
Success With APF2K8?

A lot of us are skeptics. Some believe that APF will de-throne Madden (which is far from realistic thinking) and many believe it will flop as people will not be interested in a "generic" football offering. We must remember though, with the 360 and PS3 still being somewhat new, people are starved for new games that display the potential of the power.

If APF is released at a time where not many new games are being offered, the game can succeed. We must note that there are many next gen owners that are starved for that groundbreaking game. Lets say that mid July sees no real releases, and Take Two releases the game at that time. Lets say that the graphics, animations, and atmosphere is rehauled from 2K5, that should really get people to take notice. It wouldn't be the game that competes against Madden, but the game that truly offers a next gen expierence. If it's released at a time where new games are dry, then people would surely be willing to shell out the money to purchase this game. If anyone can truly take advantage of this, I truly believe VC can.

This isn't like the original Xbox or PS2. People are buying games when available for these new systems. They are surely buying games that take advantage of them as well. It won't be a typical "lets wait for Madden: myntality. It will be a "this game looks hot" or "this looks to be the most realistic football game I've ever seen" that will lure gamers into purchasing the game. Many people who purchase APF will probably still purchase Madden, but Madden's sales are irrellevent. It's also the building block for when Take Two gets the license again. If the features are rich, gameplay unique, graphics are great, the game can maintain in the market. When people are purchasing games to show off their purchase, then there may be no reason that the game should flop or fail. It's a different market than PS2. If word gets out (which isn't hard as new games are not plentyful), we should see success out of 2K's decision. Just my take.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Success With APF2K8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepytercel
A lot of us are skeptics. Some believe that APF will de-throne Madden (which is far from realistic thinking) and many believe it will flop as people will not be interested in a "generic" football offering. We must remember though, with the 360 and PS3 still being somewhat new, people are starved for new games that display the potential of the power.

If APF is released at a time where not many new games are being offered, the game can succeed. We must note that there are many next gen owners that are starved for that groundbreaking game. Lets say that mid July sees no real releases, and Take Two releases the game at that time. Lets say that the graphics, animations, and atmosphere is rehauled from 2K5, that should really get people to take notice. It wouldn't be the game that competes against Madden, but the game that truly offers a next gen expierence. If it's released at a time where new games are dry, then people would surely be willing to shell out the money to purchase this game. If anyone can truly take advantage of this, I truly believe VC can.

This isn't like the original Xbox or PS2. People are buying games when available for these new systems. They are surely buying games that take advantage of them as well. It won't be a typical "lets wait for Madden: myntality. It will be a "this game looks hot" or "this looks to be the most realistic football game I've ever seen" that will lure gamers into purchasing the game. Many people who purchase APF will probably still purchase Madden, but Madden's sales are irrellevent. It's also the building block for when Take Two gets the license again. If the features are rich, gameplay unique, graphics are great, the game can maintain in the market. When people are purchasing games to show off their purchase, then there may be no reason that the game should flop or fail. It's a different market than PS2. If word gets out (which isn't hard as new games are not plentyful), we should see success out of 2K's decision. Just my take.
Interesting points you made, I have bought allot of games in the first two years of a system that i normaly do not buy(FPS, action,etc) simply because they were appealing in offering things not accomplished before. they were next gen. graphicly and in gamplay. the itch to be impressed by your new hardware is a strong itch.

Hell i bought KING Kong for my 360......LOL............that Trex scene in the demo got me.....LOL
Old 02-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
Interesting points you made, I have bought allot of games in the first two years of a system that i normaly do not buy(FPS, action,etc) simply because they were appealing in offering things not accomplished before. they were next gen. graphicly and in gamplay. the itch to be impressed by your new hardware is a strong itch.

Hell i bought KING Kong for my 360......LOL............that Trex scene in the demo got me.....LOL
I think if the proper work went into this game, it should at least see mild success.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepytercel
I think if the proper work went into this game, it should at least see mild success.
while i dont expect it to dethrone madden. i think it will be more than a mild success. time will tell
Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm more skeptical when it comes to the potential for success for this game. Somebody on here recently posted sales numbers for games last year and NBA 2K7 sold 700,000 copies. One of the best sports games ever, winner of Spike TV's Sports Game of the Year and with a competitor that just plain didn't show up, only sold 700,000 copies.

If it hits 500k copies, my personal feelings would be that it's a huge success. I mentioned this before, but in a best case scenario, by the time this game hits stores, there will be fifteen million 360's and PS3's sold combined. I think it's asking alot for 1 out of 15 people to buy this game and even 1 out of 30 is a stretch, IMO. So hopefully, 2k is not looking at more than 500k to consider this game to be a success.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I'm more skeptical when it comes to the potential for success for this game. Somebody on here recently posted sales numbers for games last year and NBA 2K7 sold 700,000 copies. One of the best sports games ever, winner of Spike TV's Sports Game of the Year and with a competitor that just plain didn't show up, only sold 700,000 copies.

If it hits 500k copies, my personal feelings would be that it's a huge success. I mentioned this before, but in a best case scenario, by the time this game hits stores, there will be fifteen million 360's and PS3's sold combined. I think it's asking alot for 1 out of 15 people to buy this game and even 1 out of 30 is a stretch, IMO. So hopefully, 2k is not looking at more than 500k to consider this game to be a success.

good points. i wonder what TTI's goals are or what they would consider a success? im positive they are not expecting to topple madden with this game.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
good points. i wonder what TTI's goals are or what they would consider a success? im positive they are not expecting to topple madden with this game.
I agree with you there. Very few games have a chance to topple Madden's sales. GTA4 has a chance, MGS4 has a chance if it goes multiplatform. The only exclusive game I see having a chance is Halo 3 and even then, how many more units can you expect them to sell than Gears of War, which was still outsold by Madden.

I've shared my thoughts on the reasons for this game's release. Lacklustre showing by Madden, hardcore 2k fans SCREAMING for salvation , and to have a game ready on the off-chance that the NFL opens it up after this deal is over are all reasons that I think this game is being made. If 2k is realistic, making money isn't a barometer of this game's success for them.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
I agree with you there. Very few games have a chance to topple Madden's sales. GTA4 has a chance, MGS4 has a chance if it goes multiplatform. The only exclusive game I see having a chance is Halo 3 and even then, how many more units can you expect them to sell than Gears of War, which was still outsold by Madden.

I've shared my thoughts on the reasons for this game's release. Lacklustre showing by Madden, hardcore 2k fans SCREAMING for salvation , and to have a game ready on the off-chance that the NFL opens it up after this deal is over are all reasons that I think this game is being made. If 2k is realistic, making money isn't a barometer of this game's success for them.
I realy believe them when they say this one is for the fans (APF2K8), I think after the fan response and moderate success of NBA2k7. this is like throwin us fans a bone (in a good sense). as i have said before , I just hope it is succesfull enough to bring about APF2k9..........

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »